Project MNOG 3D

specsowl

This is looking fantastic. I truly hope that it will see completion. I don't have much to say in terms of bugs that others haven't already mentioned. A few questions, though:

Will there will be some kind of combat? If so, how will it work?

Do you have plans to add a third person mode? If there is character customisation, third person would be great, especially if the camera can be controlled independently of the character's rotation.

Combat will be all in first person.

Think of fps for things like discs and Elder Scrolls-like should there be mallee weapons.

There are no plans to make a third person cam. You will see your character should there be a cutscene.

Wow! This is incredible! Seriously It's one of the best fanmade Bionicle games out there. Please keep up the good work! I have one question though: Are you planning on releasing a demo for mobile (Android/iOs) anytime soon or are you gonna work on those versions later on? Thanks!

Our primary objective is to make something that just works.

Then porting.

• Upvote 1

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

I need help. Maybe I will look stupid asking for help with this, but I really want to try this masterpiece.

I have to say that I have a problem while executing the game. Every time I use even the "Unity Web Player" and all those required systems, the program says:

"OOPS!

The game crashed.

The crash report folder named "xxxx-xx-xx_xxxxxx" next to game executable.

It would be great if you'd send it to the developer of the game!"

I do not even know what happened. I don't want to bother you, but please help me.

Here's my experience playing this:

Ran around.

Could not stop saying: OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO AWESOME

Saw my toes and reacted with: I HAVE TOOOEEESS!

Fell in the water and responded with: OH MY GOSH I'M SWIMMING!

I pet the ussul crabs.

I petted a kewa.

I used the elevator.

Overall it was THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!

• Upvote 1

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

I decided to exsplore a bit more to day and managed to leave ga-koro by climbing one of the wooden poles. I know the outside is far from finished but I notest a few things that I thought should be sujrsted. First if its possible it would be nice if you could latter in development add foot prints (that would only have to stay briefly ) where your character is walking as it feels kind of odd to see my feat but not my footprints no big deal though. I also notest there was a funnel you could swim through behind the water fall I guess that will lead to a lake or a cave. Keep up the great work and I can,t wait for new updates!

Woops I forgot to mention the the players shadow appears to be wearing a hau I guess its just the stage of development I just thought it was odd as the menu shoes tgrm wearing a pakari

I decided to exsplore a bit more to day and managed to leave ga-koro by climbing one of the wooden poles. I know the outside is far from finished but I notest a few things that I thought should be sujrsted. First if its possible it would be nice if you could latter in development add foot prints (that would only have to stay briefly ) where your character is walking as it feels kind of odd to see my feat but not my footprints no big deal though. I also notest there was a funnel you could swim through behind the water fall I guess that will lead to a lake or a cave. Keep up the great work and I can,t wait for new updates!

Woops I forgot to mention the the players shadow appears to be wearing a hau I guess its just the stage of development I just thought it was odd as the menu shoes tgrm wearing a pakari

Well... you're really not supposed to be able to leave the koro ^^;

The point is, the Koro and the surrounding Wahi are meant to be separate levels...

You'll see what I mean come the next update a hundred years from now ;) 

I need help. Maybe I will look stupid asking for help with this, but I really want to try this masterpiece.

I have to say that I have a problem while executing the game. Every time I use even the "Unity Web Player" and all those required systems, the program says:

"OOPS!

The game crashed.

The crash report folder named "xxxx-xx-xx_xxxxxx" next to game executable.

It would be great if you'd send it to the developer of the game!"

I do not even know what happened. I don't want to bother you, but please help me.

This is issue that I had aswell, If you have steam, add it as a non steam application and it should work. Thats the best workaround I can tell you right now.

• Upvote 1

UPDATE!

Hey there everyone! It's about time for an update! The team (now 10 people) have started working again on MNOG 3D! Right now we are working on the following:

New Rahi!

Updating the old assets

Making new assets

Creating 3 new areas:

Ga-Wahi

Ta-Wahi

Onu-Wahi

These areas will be more or less connected. Ga-Wahi will directly transition into Onu-Wahi however Ta-Wahi is completely closed off and the only way to get there is by boat. I have my reasons. 

This being said, new features will be:

Riding boats

Inventory

Fighting Rahi

and possibly a shop system. 

Here are just a few screens of what we have so far. 

JfP0fiPl.jpg

From left to right top to bottom:

Nui Kopen, Nui Rama, Fikou, Ussal Variant, Cliff bug, Infected Hoi, Hoi, Baby Tarakava. 

Two of these you should recognize from a REALLY old game where we are taking a bit of inspiration and one really old unreleased game we are often compared to...thanks. 

Tales will also be an influence on our character creation system for the next update. More on that soon.

CMHNZ4Pl.png

Bohrok's Nest Exit in Ta-Wahi created by doodleloot. This is an example of what we're moving towards in art style. So no more awkward mix of realistic textures and base colors. We are essentially revamping all of our old textures to match this style. It's hard work, but we'll pull through!

We also have some new team members. Shadow Destroyer and cdrch! Welcome to the team guys!

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 4

In the Flash MNOLG's Battle Of Kini-Nui, only Muaka, Nui-Jaga, Water Tarakava and Nui-Rama featured, yet the Matoran also mention the Kuma-Nui, Kofo-Jaga, Sand Tarakava and Nui-Kopen. Will all 8 Rahi appear in your game's version of the Battle Of Kini-Nui, or just the 4 that featured in the Flash version?

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

In the Flash MNOLG's Battle Of Kini-Nui, only Muaka, Nui-Jaga, Water Tarakava and Nui-Rama featured, yet the Matoran also mention the Kuma-Nui, Kofo-Jaga, Sand Tarakava and Nui-Kopen. Will all 8 Rahi appear in your game's version of the Battle Of Kini-Nui, or just the 4 that featured in the Flash version?

Ooh, now that would be neat(if possible)

Only reason why they wouldn't would be:

1. Programming issues(game's taking too long, etc.)
  2. No actual set models
  • Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

2. No actual set models

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. The Battle of Kini Nui was because the Chronicler's company needed to protect the Toa Mata while they were in Makuta's Chambers. To imply that a battle of Kini Nui would be in our game would be to say the same thing would happen again, which is not the case. Secondly, no set models? I am completely confused. Nui Kopen, Kuma Nui and Kofo Jaga have official combiners/looks. Sand tarakava is just a slight variation of the existing tarakava. In fact, I have a Nui Kopen IN the image update today. 

Maybe you both can clarify what you're talking about?

Edit: I should also mention that there are currently 15 Rahi in the game and thats only 1/3 of the final amount. So that far exceeds 8.

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 2

This may have been mentioned earlier, but do I need to download Unity to run this?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

2. No actual set models

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. The Battle of Kini Nui was because the Chronicler's company needed to protect the Toa Mata while they were in Makuta's Chambers. To imply that a battle of Kini Nui would be in our game would be to say the same thing would happen again, which is not the case. Secondly, no set models? I am completely confused. Nui Kopen, Kuma Nui and Kofo Jaga have official combiners/looks. Sand tarakava is just a slight variation of the existing tarakava. In fact, I have a Nui Kopen IN the image update today. 

Edit: I should also mention that there are currently 15 Rahi in the game and thats only 1/3 of the final amount. So that far exceeds 8.

I was talking about whether or not certain unseen rahi could be added(and what might stand in the way of them being added)

I think Makuta_of_Oz was talking about the same thing, referring to the fact that they were mentioned during the defense of Kini-Nui

• Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

-END OF LINE-

Ah I see. Well the planned Rahi are:

All 2001 Rahi from MNOG, the sets, and a select few from the Tales of the Tohunga game. 

2001 Rahi combiners (including yes, Mana Ko)

All Rahi in the master builder set like Hikaki and Vako and Kofo Jaga

Kikanalo

Some new made up Rahi (like the baby Tarakava)

That should be roughly 30 rahi, maybe more in the game

• Upvote 1

Neat! Okay then, I am very much impressed by how much you're putting into this. Not that I wasn't before, just how much impressed I am has increased, or something.

It's sounds cool is what I'm trying to say and I can't(though technically I can) wait to see the rahi in action!

Edited by The Undertaken
  • Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

-END OF LINE-

This may have been mentioned earlier, but do I need to download Unity to run this?

It can run just fine without Unity

So it will be a standalone? Sweet.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

Ah I see. Well the planned Rahi are:

All 2001 Rahi from MNOG, the sets, and a select few from the Tales of the Tohunga game. 

2001 Rahi combiners (including yes, Mana Ko)

All Rahi in the master builder set like Hikaki and Vako and Kofo Jaga

Kikanalo

Some new made up Rahi (like the baby Tarakava)

That should be roughly 30 rahi, maybe more in the game

Baby Tarakava?

*imagines the famous Gali vs. Tarakava scene, except this time with Hahli vs Baby Tarakava) ^_^  :br:  :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

2. No actual set models

When the rarer Rahi were mentioned in the Flash version of the MNOLG, I was led to believe we could battle them, and was disappointed to realise I couldn't. Plus, only featuring the common Rahi debalanced the Matoran, making Taipu OP and Tamaru underpowered based on the elements of the Rahi that did appear. Featuring all mentioned Rahi would balance things better.

BTW were you aware that Sand Tarakava existed as a prototype set? 5 actual Sand Tarakava sets were made and released, allowing you to use more accurate models if you can find pics.

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Sand_Tarakava

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I know the sand tarakava is a thing. But I was saying it's only a slight variation because it'd be easy to replace colors and a few parts on the model. It's actually closer to the MNOG Tarakava which has been made already. 

Edited by specsowl

I just played through Ga-Koro and all I have to say is... holy wow. I loved adventuring across the entire Koro and talking to all the Matoran, it was amazing and brings back that sense of wonder at exploring the location. Plus the graphics look great. Only bug I noticed was Hali's mask turned invisible when you're behind her. Other then that flawless so far. Can't wait for the story to progress along with the other Koros!

• Upvote 2

I'd just like to say, thank you so much for putting this on Mac!

• Upvote 2

I just played through Ga-Koro and all I have to say is... holy wow. I loved adventuring across the entire Koro and talking to all the Matoran, it was amazing and brings back that sense of wonder at exploring the location. Plus the graphics look great. Only bug I noticed was Hali's mask turned invisible when you're behind her. Other then that flawless so far. Can't wait for the story to progress along with the other Koros!

That isn't a bug per-se.

That mask just has backface culling, making it invisible from behind.

The lighting is incredibly bland and the masks are lacking detail. The sculpting on the tops of the huts is a bit nasty and there are a few spots with unnecessary normal maps that don't look that great.

The textures and animations are all pretty good though.

Keep in mind that you're playing a pre-aplha.

A proper direction in texture style wasn't even implemented yet.

• Upvote 1

The lighting is incredibly bland and the masks are lacking detail. The sculpting on the tops of the huts is a bit nasty and there are a few spots with unnecessary normal maps that don't look that great.

The textures and animations are all pretty good though.

Welcome to BZP! I see this is your first post. I'm sorry to see that you didn't enjoy the MNOG 3D pre alpha experience. Perhaps future update will pique your interest. The huts are placeholder and are being remade. The lighting being bland can't exactly be helped right now except through tweaking. Also, perhaps describe the normal maps you find bad?

• Upvote 1

Welcome to BZP! I see this is your first post. I'm sorry to see that you didn't enjoy the MNOG 3D pre alpha experience. Perhaps future update will pique your interest. The huts are placeholder and are being remade. The lighting being bland can't exactly be helped right now except through tweaking. Also, perhaps describe the normal maps you find bad?

It isn't that I disliked it, those are just some things I'm concerned about.

woGRMpw.png

the polycount is also a bit lower than would make sense, even for mobile

"The masks are lacking detail"? This is as detailed as they've ever been. The older masks just had simple designs.

Really? I always thought the Nuva  masks were pretty complex. :P

Like the Akaku. There are quite a few Kanohi that are just as or less complex than the masks we know from 2001-2003.

Even now some people are experiencing some lag.

Making them of a higher poly count would only make that worse. Neither are we a big and complex game developing team.

But trust me, what we make lack in a poly count we will make up for in texture style ^_^

;_______;

oh the humanity.

But I do agree that having higher poly versions would be good, and if people are having low framerates, then they can just lower the settings or resolution.  I don't see the need for cutting out a more "HD" (for lack of a better word) model if people could simply lower their settings.  Except for the manpower that would be needed, of course.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Making them of a higher poly count would only make that worse. Neither are we a big and complex game developing team.

But trust me, what we make lack in a poly count we will make up for in texture style ^_^

I understand. There's also the matter that masks would be a polygon priority, seeing as that's where people are going to spending a lot of time looking. Cleaning up some other models should free up the budget too. Have you considered using LOD models or baking the light?

I appreciate your concern for the functionality and look of the game. We are doing a lot of things internally to help make playing the game a better experience. The game is far from completed, but we are currently making changes graphically. Baking lighting isn't really an option for what we are doing with the game as well. 

But I do agree that having higher poly versions would be good, and if people are having low framerates, then they can just lower the settings or resolution.  I don't see the need for cutting out a more "HD" (for lack of a better word) model if people could simply lower their settings.  Except for the manpower that would be needed, of course.

Generally polygons is what makes something lag.

For instance, I could play something with pretty high texture settings, but load a complex model with many vertexes and stuff starts slowing down.

It isn't just lowering the setting that would help with that.

Good texturing can make even the lowest poly games look really good.

Look at games like Bastion; everything there is extremely low poly, but still looks great.

And we're still working on the "looking good" part :P

I understand. There's also the matter that masks would be a polygon priority, seeing as that's where people are going to spending a lot of time looking. Cleaning up some other models should free up the budget too. Have you considered using LOD models or baking the light?

Yes, we have already planned what and where LODs should be used, but they hadn't been implemented to the pre-alpha.

Though baking light... that wouldn't work so well with the texture style we're going for (not apparent in the pre alpha because we haven't applied it).

Generally polygons is what makes something lag.

For instance, I could play something with pretty high texture settings, but load a complex model with many vertexes and stuff starts slowing down.

It isn't just lowering the setting that would help with that.

Good texturing can make even the lowest poly games look really good.

Look at games like Bastion; everything there is extremely low poly, but still looks great.

And we're still working on the "looking good" part :P

Geez, it would be nice if everyone would stop being so offensive towards me in this thread.

Yeah, more polygons = more stuff for gpu to render = lower performance = lower framerate.

no $#!%

What I was saying was that I'm pretty sure it's a thing to have lower quality models along with higher quality models, and for the game to use either model according to the graphics settings of the client.  This would probably be even easier due to many Unity games having the options in the launcher before the game starts.  I've been on the receiving end of both of those situations at one point or another, for often the same games, so I know it's a thing.

And for (whatever deity you believe in)'s sakes, I know it's in pre-alpha.  I'm not denying that textures are a major factor in the overall aesthetic of a game.  What I'm saying is that it's options that can really differentiate a PC game (other than controls) from others.  Some of us can't handle the higher options.  Well then those people can go to lower options, because we all have options.  Some of us would prefer resolution over the detail, others the opposite.  Some prefer both.  I never said to scrap all the work you've done so far;  all I was saying was that at some point, it would be good to get some other models in there for those who have the PC to handle it, and make using them an option for the user based on his/her personal preferences.

Edited by BULiK
  • Upvote 1

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)