The Elder Scrolls

Well, it fixed itself somehow. I fast traveled to Riverwood and she came waltzing up the road to her inn. Weirdness.Bethesda still needs to fix some bugs the latest patch created. People are apparently having ridiculously high-leveled creatures spawn as a result of completely unrelated actions. One person said every time they kill a chicken, two Ancient Dragons spawn. Every single time. Keeping in mind he was level 15. Just today, upon killing the boss draugr in Folgunthur at level 9, the game spawn two restless draugrs, a Draugr Deathlord and a Dragon Priest at the same time on the other end of the room. And I opted for the beta of the new patch earlier, so they clearly haven't fixed that yet.

rahkshi_symbol.png

One person said every time they kill a chicken, two Ancient Dragons spawn.

That's an awesome bug.
YES! Just murder chickens in cities, or as close to them as you can get, and sit back to watch the show!Oh, and I saw the trailer for Dawnguard, and I got chills from the epicness. I also love creepy stuff, so the vampire thing looks cool, and it looks more...non-traditional? then the rest of Skyrim. Let me explain.The combat in Skyrim is great, and so is the transportation, but its very linear in the sense that you're just hitting enemies, you're not jumping on them, rolling, ducking, that kind of stuff, and the fact that you can be a flying vampire lord or whatever and hover off the ground seems rather non-linear, so I'm looking forward to Dawnguard. But should I pick vampires, since they're awesome, or the people with crossbows? Eh, might as well just loot their crossbows off of them.And Patch 1.6 adds mounted combat, another non-linear toss up to the action. Normally I'd say this is a bit late, but with the DLC coming soon, it's a good time to add something like this.Also $20 for Dawnguard? I don't know...I am saving up for a laptop, but I guess I will...but think about it guys: if there are five expansions, and each is $20, that would be $100 dropped on additions to a $60 game. Not saying I wouldn't buy the expansions, but that seems a little pricy...I almost hope there aren't five...

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

Skyrim killed my social life. I liked the approach it took to necromancy, it's a magical art like any other, neither good nor evil. It's quite refreshing compared to the ZOMG EVIL! approach some RPG's take to it.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I dunno, necromancy seems largely frowned upon still. I admit it's not as blatant as it was in Oblivion though, that game made it out to be the worst act you could ever possibly commit.

I chalked that up to realism, the citizens of Skyrim are, for the most part, not what one would describe as "tolerant". Yeah. Oblivion was a let down in that department.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

You guys must admit that making the dead walk around breaks pretty much every burial convention ever. :) If we disregard the religious connection many have to burying/burning bodies (Skyrim has a dedicated shrine to the god of death/burials in every town, even), there's also the matter of possible sickness being spread via corpses and the sheer horror of seeing a mindless husk trailing behind the necromancer. Summoned daedra are at least alive, if still under the conjurer's command. Not to mention the reaction I'm sure you would get if you waltzed into a house where, say, the father was just brutally murdered, and then you walk off with his old body as your new undead slave.Just saying that I'm not surprised that even "good" necromancy (use only bodies you find, not kill yourself) is frowned upon. :lol:I do enjoy having disposable reinforcements now and then, though. I just wish I could have a permanent animal companion without having to make it undead (got a plugin for Dead Thrall that makes it work on other targets than just humans). I loved Dogmeat in Fallout 3, but I don't like the dogs in Skyrim much. A wolf, rather...Hm, I'll just have to find yet another plugin that does it, I guess. :D

Edited by Katuko

The dead are quite beyond caring about their bodies. :P Might as well use them to say, slaughter those bandits who've been pestering the village. Necromancy is the ultimate in pragmatic magic, doesn't mean it has to be evil. It's just making use of the resources at hand for the greater good of all. When used correctly at least.

I don't care what happens to my body when I'm dead, really; I'm just saying most people would have a reason to care when undead characters walk around. (And especially my family, if someone jumped in and nabbed my body while they were still grieving over my passing.)Sure, the bodies are just animated by magic and not truly alive, but they are still corpses, and corpses tend to be unhealthy. Or if it's fresh (most necromancers can only keep their undead around for a few minutes, if we are to believe the in-game spell limits) then it was most likely from someone you knew in one way or another, or it's still bleeding, or it was from a bandit who you might still be afraid of, etc. And then we pile on the "bodies should be treated with respect and not as mere resources" mindset, and we see why the regular inhabitants don't want to even see necromancy in action.

Point well taken. Such an odd mindset, the resources are there and they could clean up a lot of bandit hideaways...

I always wanted to go under the instructions in Corpse Preparation v.1-3 to animate a dead body, but they've never given us that chance. :PIt would be cool if they let you animate an infinite number of permanent undead, weaker ones like skeletons or zombies, and have them bound to a location. No practical combat purposes, just a giant PC castle home with a horde of undead serving you in it...... which is exactly how I'm guessing Dawnguard ends if you side with the vampires, only with said servitors being intelligent rather than mindless.Blotting out the sun? Big goal. You'd have to seal up that giant hole in the sky to do that...-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I really hope if you win as a vampire that there's still a sun...And how do you think the vampires will work with the Companions, if you're in both? Hmm?Also the Dawnguard is basically the Silver Hand (or the Garlic Hand, I suppose).

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

Well, you can cure yourself of being a werewolf at any point the same way you cure Kodlak, so maybe the lead vampire guy will just tell you to go do that first. I'm okay with that, I enjoy being a werewolf, but that vampire lord thing looks SO FREAKING COOL.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Argh, I want to play both paths of Dawnguard but already can't pick which character to do which path with.Do I go with Ektris, the Dark Elf warrior/part-time mage, who also just happens to be a werewolf content with his nature but never transforms?Or do I pick the archer/mage Rhikorin - who I'm still playing as and am barely through the game with lol - the Argonian who will complete the Companions quests and instantly cure himself (if I ever can get past the first freakin mission... sent me into a Falmer hold with a strong Falmer and Dwarven Centurian at the same time as the boss I have to kill... around level 10) but hasn't yet encountered vampires and doesn't know how to feel about them. Plus he'd be a lizard vamp. That's kinda weird....Then I go back to reality and question whether or not I really want to spend $20 on DLC. It better be really impressive DLC for that price.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

It would be cool if they let you animate an infinite number of permanent undead, weaker ones like skeletons or zombies, and have them bound to a location. No practical combat purposes, just a giant PC castle home with a horde of undead serving you in it...

Been there, done that with mods. :P Conjure Skeleton spell plus no summon limit. Had a horde of ~20 skeletons following me. They all died in one breath from a dragon, so I tried again with a giant. Crushed 'em all. They managed to kill some lesser animals, but they were not really good at anything. :)

I dunno, necromancy seems largely frowned upon still. I admit it's not as blatant as it was in Oblivion though, that game made it out to be the worst act you could ever possibly commit.

Magic is frowned upon by the Nords, period.Vampires? What are you guys talking about?...you DO know crossbows are gonna be in Crossguard, right. Like they might put in some other stuff but I don't think that matters to anybody...

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

The Nords attitude towards magic is a big reason I'm an Empire supporter. That and the racism.

Edited by Basilisk

Am I the only one who thinks Dawnguard is going to be utterly horrible?c I mean, they just completely annihilated and retconned any lore surrounding Skyrim's Vampires AND Elder Scrolls in general. Blegh.And yes Necromancy is so amazing.

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

Am I the only one who reckons the Hlaalu Guards bear a striking resemblance to Toa Mata Nui?

Welcome to Morrowind. Mind the cliff racers.EDIT: Necromancers unite! Edited by Basilisk

We Necromancers need a trading post type thing where we can buy and sell corpses."I'll trade you 2 Bandit Marauders and a Forsworn Ravager for that Volkihar.""Eh, throw in an Arch Pyromancer and you got yourself a deal."I am now on a quest to find every unmarked location in Skyrim. The ones I've personally visited so far are:Giant dead MudcrabFrozen MammothTalos StatueDead Sabre Cat/300 Easter eggSeveral Stray Dog homesMourning Giant grieving over his dead MammothThe Chill (Does this count?)Unmarked locations I know of but haven't visited yet:Mount Anthor SummitLady in the lake Easter EggI'm sure there's more, but I'll still be looking for them.

Edited by Field Marshal Rakmon

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

I don't understand! I'm constantly being ambushed by Cliff Racers, and very few of my swings actually register! Where do they sell crossbows??

My solution? Get levitate, do a sweep of the area, and then unleash a massive AoE burst of lightning. Find an exquisite ring, enchant it with a Golden Saint soul... that should be all you need to solve your Cliff Racer problem forever.Crossbows are commonly sold in Legion bases. I would suggest you check out Ebonheart. That's only the steel ones, though. If you want a good crossbow, you'll need to go to the Dwemer ruins to pick up a Dwarven Crossbow. You might be able to find them elsewhere, but that's the best way is to check the ruins.

Am I the only one who thinks Dawnguard is going to be utterly horrible?c I mean, they just completely annihilated and retconned any lore surrounding Skyrim's Vampires AND Elder Scrolls in general. Blegh.

In case nobody else noticed, during the trailer, you can spot a shrine to Molag Bal behind the lead vampire. Molag Bal is, as any Morrowind player can tell you, created the first vampires. There's no reason why these vampires couldn't be gaining their demonic form (which reminds me much of the vamp lord in Underworld 2) by somehow drawing a further connection to Oblivion - if they are using that portal to get into Aethrius and go all Alduin on those dead people, they could easily fuel the power needed for a semi-Daedric form.And if you mean the Elder Scrolls, why can't they do that? They barely exist in the physical plane, and hold more power than any of the Daedric or Aedric beings - aka Gods - and the sun is just a big hole in the sky, not a ball of gas. Heck, from one point of view, closing the hole in the sky is actually repairing the universe. Of course, it would also mean the end to all life, as life only exists by getting that power taken in from Aethrius, so...

Been there, done that with mods. :P Conjure Skeleton spell plus no summon limit. Had a horde of ~20 skeletons following me. They all died in one breath from a dragon, so I tried again with a giant. Crushed 'em all. They managed to kill some lesser animals, but they were not really good at anything. :)

I mean actually having some small quest of item collection. They wouldn't follow you, they'd just wander around the base. Bonus points if bandits attacked when you were away, and you came back to find some of your skeletons down.... and ways to make some mummies.

Then I go back to reality and question whether or not I really want to spend $20 on DLC. It better be really impressive DLC for that price.

If it adds 20 hours of gameplay. Really, I'm only disappointed if I get less that 1 hour per dollar.Horse Armor....

*Hopes for the chance to become a Lich*

Well, you heard the one ghost. You have to drain out all of your blood and sleep in a coffin for a couple thousand years. :P-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Bah! Immortality is worth it!And a Necromancer trading post?... Genius! I say we clear out fort Greymoor and set up there!

Edited by Basilisk

And if you mean the Elder Scrolls, why can't they do that? They barely exist in the physical plane, and hold more power than any of the Daedric or Aedric beings - aka Gods - and the sun is just a big hole in the sky, not a ball of gas. Heck, from one point of view, closing the hole in the sky is actually repairing the universe. Of course, it would also mean the end to all life, as life only exists by getting that power taken in from Aethrius, so..

it's more of the fact that they can just read an Elder Scroll like that without going mad/blind/dying on the spot.Speaking of Elder Scrolls, I have a funny story for you all: So a while ago while my friend was playing Skyrim, he had just recovered the Elder Scroll from Blackreach and was bringing it to Paarthurnax. he was ambushed by a group of Thalmor. It then promptly went like this:"Ah carp. Wait, I have an Elder Scroll! TASTE THE RAINBOW YOU NATIONALIST FOOLS OH GOD WHY'D I OPEN IT TOWARDS MYSELF AND NOT AT THEM AAAH I'M BLI- dead"

Maybe they can't. It's trailer, it doesn't reveal everything.Frankly, my doubts in Bethesda vanished when I climbed a mountain and saw Skyrim in all it's glory.......And when I stormed a Bandit stronghold as a Werewolf and slaughtered everyone. Never gets old.

it's more of the fact that they can just read an Elder Scroll like that without going mad/blind/dying on the spot.

Ancestor Moths. Frankly, I'm sure the glowing eyes have something to do with it.And if you all reading the Scrolls does to you is a temporary loss of sight, there's no reason a possibly centuries old vampire couldn't pull something off - especially with your aid, willing or not.But we'll find all of this out before Autumns end.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

According to the in-game lore, people who have no idea what the Elder Scrolls are see nothing more than a regular scroll with some fancy, incomprehensible patterns on it. Those who do know roughly what it is, but no more (like the player character/Dovahkiin in Skyrim) can open it and see some glowing magic things. However, since they still can't understand any of it, they just get a temporary reduction in sight. The book that tells you this, though, says that when someone reads a Scroll and begins to understand, then their knowledge/mind is permanently strengthened and their vision is permanently reduced. At one point in their life, the reader will receive some sort of vision from the Scroll, that tells them that it is their final reading. After that last bit of knowledge is given, they will go permanently blind.The Scrolls trade physical sight for mental "sight", I think the explanation was. You get to "view" something from "beyond", while you lose "view" of this world. So yeah, what saves the Dovahkiin from being blinded more permanently is the fact that he/she has no idea what they are supposed to actually be reading.This is the reason why studying the nature of scrolls is so frustrating to scholars: either they don't understand and can't do anything with it, or they do understand and quickly lose the ability to study it properly.Wiki quote:

Any person gifted with prescient powers is able to interpret the contents of the Elder Scrolls with practice. It is said that those with no ability see only unknown etchings and runes, often claiming to recognize constellations and birth signs. True insight into the divine contents comes at a price as each new foretelling and interpretation strikes the reader with blindness that gradually increases with each reading, while simultaneously granting them a broader view of the scroll's contents. Ultimately, the reader, having engaged in frequent acts of prophecy, is left bereft of their vision, forever after removed of their right to read the scrolls. By time-honored tradition only those of The Cult of the Ancestor Moth may read from the scrolls, the younger members caring for the elder as they gradually lose their sight for eternity. The loss of sight for the reading of an Elder Scroll is described as "a price," probably for the learning of what the Elder Scroll chooses to reveal to the reader. Some go insane from reading an Elder Scroll because, as the game describes, it is too much knowledge for some to handle. (The Dragonborn is able to read the Elder Scroll and walk away fine, with only limited vision for a short period of time, as it eventually goes away. This is depicted in the picture above.)

The picture mentioned shows just the scroll with some glowing runes/constellations, as described under "those with no prescient ability". Edited by Katuko

Beginner tip: Don't put off the main quest, but don't overdo it. Take breaks in between doing a few quests. I learned that on my adventure. Trust me, saving Alduin for later keeps the adventurer spirit going!

Stupid giant. -.-Was on my way to confront some Alik'r assassins when I got entangled in a fight between a giant and a dragon.I killed the dragon, but the giant launched me into the air, causing me to respawn in Whiterun and denying me my loot.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~