Could Throwbots/Slizers Actually be the Best Theme to Bring Back Right

Banana Gunz

Throwbots reboot, yes or no?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I was thinking about how Bionicle was probably being brought back (yeah, probably, I'm like, 99.99% sure) and I was wondering about what steps would be taken to improve it. As you know, Bionicle was a great theme but it suffered from some bad mistakes.

But then I wondered, what if Bionicle isn't the #1 story to go back to?

I remembered the theme that started it all: Throwbots (or Slizers). Throwbots was a really cool theme with a lot of potential. It could've been taken so many places if LEGO hadn't made the mistake of canceling it (though it did sorta eventually lead to Bionicle), for it was a really interesting concept.

Look at it this way:

One of best things about the Glatorians era (and for some, the only thing) was the idea of having gladiators fighting in arenas! It's a really cool and really smart idea.

Throwbots has that, and that could be a really sweet edge to a really sweet story. Plus, they'd have elemental powers making them even more exciting! Having a theme that centers around beings with really sweet powers fighting in arenas is really good, story-wise, and marketing-wise.

Imagine what stories you could have with a theme like that! You could input serious social issues and ideas into it to make it really rich, such as slavery and war. After all, the Slizers' world is a split one. They didn't live so much in harmony as the matoran did (to my knowledge, I'm no Throwbots expert). You could eventually have a year where there is rebellion and such, to really amp up the story, kinda like the Hunger Games!

And imagine how good it is for marketing! There could be so much collectibles for kids to get their greasy little hands on, and as we all know people love factions, tribes, anything where they can pick and choose to become a part of! The Throwbots world is perfectly set for this and you can make your own Gladiator! The sets would probably have some extra functions again (for things like throwing disks and actual fighting) and maybe even an arena set, kinda like the Ninjago Spinjitzu ones!

Throwbots/Slizers is like gold, because it is an open and familiar world that any fans can love and become accustomed to. So do you agree? Should we get a reboot of Throwbots/Slizers? Are there any other ideas you'd like to add onto mine, or is there anything you'd like to change? I'm open for discussion!

• Upvote 1

Uh... Eh? I don't know. It wasn't a terribly well fleshed out theme to begin with, and I can't see it lasting for much longer then a year. Plus the building style used for them is pretty much relegated to a select group of sets now, meaning it's not likely.

And pretty much all the things you mentioned can be loosely applied to Transformers and look what we have for that on the mainstream. (I'll still argue that it could be worse but it could definitely be better.)

And it would pretty much have to carve out a new group of fans from the getgo. Lego's target audience would have never heard of it. And I only rarely see it mentioned here.

Edit: I've seen more praise for the more simplistic setting then the arena battles.

Plus arena battles get old fast, as they tend to be too structured and I don't find them fun to write outside of a few instances.

I don't see it happening, and there's more interesting things to try anyway.

Basically anything you mentioned can be applied to Bionicle. So why throwbots?

Edited by ~Shockwave~
  • Upvote 2

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Throwbots/Slizers is like gold, because it is an open and familiar world that any fans can love and become accustomed to.

Pretty sure you're a comedy genius, Gunz

Edited by ChroXumo
  • Upvote 3

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

@~Shockwave~

As the theme it was, no, it honestly wasn't very fleshed out, but if the sets were updated (after all, you couldn't expect it to have the same style of sets) and the story line had an overhaul, it could be really cool.

The theme itself wasn't so great but the concept it had and the possibilities for story from that core is huge, and possibly very interesting.

Transformers is also not the same as Throwbots. Their concepts are completely different, and I don't imagine we'll be getting any million-dollar films about it (at least at first).

A rebooted Throwbots would honestly (theoretically) be far more tasteful to the current Bionicle fan base than HF. It has opportunity for an intense, intricate, and powerful story. And LEGO's target audience never heard of HF before it came out, and it still sold for a while. It didn't pick up a fan base though, because it wasn't interesting. If you make a fleshed-out theme out of Throwbots with memorable characters, a new group of fans is likely. Plus Ninjago was something completely new that developed its own fanbase out of nothing. And it was about spinning ninjas. Yep.

The setting of Throwbots is a planet fiercely split into separate territories for each tribe. The arenas idea is that each faction could have its own where other fighters (or prisoners) come (or are forced) to compete.

Arena battles aren't necessary, but the idea of having constantly warring factions where their fighters compete (regardless of whether they are in an arena or not) is a very good one which could potentially be very successful.

It can't be applied to Bionicle because Bionicle has already been lived out. Tons of story has been beat out from it and it has had a good run. It already had a full life and concept. Throwbots didn't, and it was because it wasn't lived to the fullest. If you take the core of that theme, add in more elements for a good plot, it could be big, and it would be a title that is less familiar, and more open to be what it wants to be rather than have to try to be what is was (or wasn't) before.

@Chro

I take back what I said about it being familiar, but I wasn't talking about the raw theme itself for what it was. I'm talking about a reboot where it takes the concept, the core, and adds onto it with thoughtful and interesting elements and is treated with care. I believe something like this can be an interesting story that many can learn to enjoy and find interest in.

Edited by Banana Gunz

@~Shockwave~

As the theme it was, no, it honestly wasn't very fleshed out, but if the sets were updated (after all, you couldn't expect it to have the same style of sets) and the story line had an overhaul, it could be really cool.

I think seeing mocists with no piece count do updated versions would be much better. I don't think it would fit with the new building system.

The theme itself wasn't so great but the concept it had and the possibilities for story from that core is huge, and possibly very interesting.

The same thing can be said about nearly any lego theme ever. Possibility for a story doesn't make a good story. A good story does.

Transformers is also not the same as Throwbots. Their concepts are completely different, and I don't imagine we'll be getting any million-dollar films about it (at least at first).

A rebooted Throwbots would honestly (theoretically) be far more tasteful to the current Bionicle fan base than HF. It has opportunity for an intense, intricate, and powerful story. And LEGO's target audience never heard of HF before it came out, and it still sold for a while. It didn't pick up a fan base though, because it wasn't interesting. If you make a fleshed-out theme out of Throwbots with memorable characters, a new group of fans is likely. Plus Ninjago was something completely new that developed its own fanbase out of nothing. And it was about spinning ninjas. Yep.

Tasteful? That's a peculiar time to use that word. And just because it's better than (for all intensive purposes) an unrelated third theme doesn't mean it's good to bring back. Besides, I think HF fits Lego's core ideals better, at least in concept.

The setting of Throwbots is a planet fiercely split into separate territories for each tribe. The arenas idea is that each faction could have its own where other fighters (or prisoners) come (or are forced) to compete.

Arena battles aren't necessary, but the idea of having constantly warring factions where their fighters compete (regardless of whether they are in an arena or not) is a very good one which could potentially be very successful.

Potential success is't really quantifiable. Basing weather or not a theme should be brought back because the theme has more "potential success" Isn't really going to get you anywhere.

I mean, Portal is about a gun that shoots holes. Minecraft is about a really low def world where you place blocks. Look at how well known those are.

And that idea has been successful. To name a few we have Transformers, Team Fortress 2, Halo Multiplayer, Star Wars, Chima, etc. That Idea isn't new, but it can be successful.

It can't be applied to Bionicle because Bionicle has already been lived out. Tons of story has been beat out from it and it has had a good run. It already had a full life and concept. Throwbots didn't, and it was because it wasn't lived to the fullest. If you take the core of that theme, add in more elements for a good plot, it could be big, and it would be a title that is less familiar, and more open to be what it wants to be rather than have to try to be what is was (or wasn't) before.

Who are you to say a story has no potential? You just said a line about robots that chuck circles has a lot of that. Besides, in general, more familiar sells better. That's why we still have CoD: Whatever. While games like FTL, Half Life and Portal Have a fraction of the sales of said game.

More elements won't automatically make a good plot. Remember, ATLA has a grand total of four.

@Chro

I take back what I said about it being familiar, but I wasn't talking about the raw theme itself for what it was. I'm talking about a reboot where it takes the concept, the core, and adds onto it with thoughtful and interesting elements and is treated with care. I believe something like this can be an interesting story that many can learn to enjoy and find interest in.

That can be said about almost any theme.

In general, it's less about what the story is about and more about how the story handles issues. Having a deep plot won't automatically make it more successful. 

The main idea behind some of my favorite shows, movies and video games are really strange and not immediately grabbing. It's the characters and how the story is handled that makes it great.

As my favorite author says, a good story needs to revolve around good and relatable characters. What you proposed completely misses that in favor of interesting philosophy that could be applied. If you had proposed that story to him he would have said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "That's great but what about the characters?"

Edited by ~Shockwave~
  • Upvote 2

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I'm in. I don't want them to have some story stuck on. Just cool little technic based dudes that throw disks and stuff. It's plain old fun! Not everything needs a story, it's sometimes a turn off from a product when it has a story behind it that you don't know and don't wanna know, it's why I'm not big on Chima; the sets are all so... I dunno, specialized? They have something clearly going on related to a story and I'm just sitting here wishing it was a little more general and just animal people with vehicles without all these weird translucent pieces that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with, ya know? Slizers/Throwbots would be neat to reboot as just, "here are toys that you can do something with. They have names, if you like. They fight. They're cool. Enjoy!"

That's just me, but yeah. Bring 'em back, but don't take it as an opportunity to bog down another cool idea with unnecessary story. Let some toys be toys.

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

It won't happen (there's a reason Roboriders and Slizers were superseded by Bionicle, they were still experimenting with what worked at that point), but I loved those two lines, particularly Slizers and would welcome their return warmly. :P

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

No. Slizer/Throwbots does not have the proven staying power that BIONICLE had. It was never anywhere near as successful as BIONICLE. It was fundamentally based on some extremely rudimentary gimmicks that would seem pitiful and ineffective by today's standards. There is little to no nostalgia for the theme outside the BIONICLE fan community. And story-wise, there wasn't much to work with in the first place — even Hero Factory's characters and universe are far more developed.

The fact that you can twist what little story it had into something MORE than it was is irrelevant — that could be said of any number of themes. That's not an incentive to bring those themes back when you could be investing in either a brand-new theme or a revival of a far more successful one.

• Upvote 3

*yawns* Nah. 

I mean, if a bunch of other people wanted it back too, than Lego should go for it, but it just doesn't interest me that much. I'm all for the Kanoka disk launcher return, though, and maybe some cool Technic vehicles, but I'd rather see that in Bionicle. More slick. :shrugs:

• 2 weeks later...

I liked them, but I'd prefer a new theme rather than a reboot. 

The only reboot I can actually accept is a Bionicle one.

The main reason is that Bionicle already has a developed story, while with Slizers you would basically need to start from the beginning.

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

From what i saw in reviews and pictures of the Throwbots/Slizers they were really awesome and i hope to actually get some of them one day on Ebay or something, just as a nice collectors item

But im on the fence about whether LEGO should try to market them again, as what they really were, were prototypes for what was to come and as we all know obviously is BIONICLE and im not sure they would sell as well competing with Star Wars, Chima and LEGO's other big themes at the moment, whereas BIONICLE would fair a lot better from lasting for 9 years and often finishing higher in sales then Star Wars, which seems to be difficult these days.

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I agree with a lot of what's been said - just because Slizers could've been a great line doesn't mean it actually was. Story-wise, there's almost nothing to work with - no developed characters, no explored locations, no truly engaging plot, so what you'd get in a reboot would have to be brand new. Set-wise, though they weren't terrible, it was still square one for constraction and things have moved a heck of a long way on since then, so the sets of any reboot at this point would have little in common with the originals.

I'd say no to a reboot. Just leave the line as constraction's first attempt.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Pretty much agreeing with everyone who said no, because it would also probably mean that the expended man-hours and funds used to realize it would probably be better used somewhere else, like.. I dunno... maybe a theme which wasn't quite as lackluster. One of the few reasons Bionicle will be coming back is because it has a lot of fans anticipating its return. Lego weren't able (nor cared, I would imagine) to do that with Throwbots, which was, truth be told, no more than an experiment on Lego's part.

That being said, more constraction = happier Moe, so whatevs :P

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Bionicle actually IS Throwbots... with an actual reason for throwing projectiles added in. :P

So no. Throwbots is "we're a bunch of robots who throw things." Bionicle "we're people and we have things worth fighting for, and it involves throwing things sometimes." Bamboo disks 2001... Okay, projectiles took a break for a while and weren't originally central. :P (Except Bohrok throwing their brains at you in 02... but they weren't good guys so we won't count it lol.) But still. 2004 and on, yeah.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

If I had to choose between Slizers and Bionicle, I'd go with the latter.

That being said, I think LEGO could bring back Slizers (of course, they can really bring back anything), with a lot of changes made, such as the building style (though I would hope they would still keep the feel of them), and, hopefully, more story. But it would be pretty cool.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I voted for on the fence. Though I did think that the sets were really cool, I have to echo what a lot of people have said and agree that the line probably wouldn't be successful unless a lot of changes were made to it. Though I would like to see sets with their building styles in future Lego sets. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I would like to see them come back, even if the story wasn't changed, because i'd just like to see a greater diversity amongst original lego constraction sets.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.