If you wanted to introduce a friend to BIONICLE sets...

Aanchir

...which set would you buy/recommend for them? Same question I asked about Hero Factory in this topic. Again, for argument's sake, let's assume obtaining the set is no issue. That way, there's no need to worry about how old, rare, or expensive it is.

I have a harder time coming up with an answer for this than I did with Hero Factory, because BIONICLE is both an older theme and a theme that lasted a longer time. Thus, it's hard to isolate a single set that really captures what the theme is about, and still provides a good building and play experience that holds up to this day.

It's also kind of frustrating because the point at which BIONICLE reached its peak level of articulation and variety for Toa is also when part quality began to steeply decline, so you had issues with breaking joints — not something you'd want a person to experience with their first set.

I think the set that I'd most readily recommend would be Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo. Not only does it offer a fairly standard (yet awesome) Toa design with an amazing dual-function weapon and an iconic mask, but it also includes a more complex Rahi so my friend would get to experience two very different styles of BIONICLE building. Both figures have great articulation, but come from before breaking joints were a major issue (even before the 7M double ball cup was introduced in 2005).

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Any Toa Inika(I would particularly recommend Nuparu). They had the best build for their time, were big and had cool weapons, the only problem like you said was the low quality plastic, but assuming that he's getting the set in new condition, he shouldn't have too much trouble.

Edited by HoloTheWise

Probably something from 2002.  Maybe Kohrak, Gahlok, or the Bahrag.  All of them, while lacking the articulation of later years, had awesome play functions while still keeping a clear aesthetic.  The Bohrok especially, though with the Bahrag there would be more immediate playability.

OpAXNpl.jpg

One particular set? I would have to say, as far as fairly standardized design would be either Ackar since he had a classic fire design to him and a decent launcher, or Toa Kopaka Phantoka because of the launcher and design. I picked recent canister sets because those would have been closest to what the new line would be. If I was going to choose the most appealing, I would say either an Inika, a bohrok, a toa nuva, or the boxor. Boxor needs some love.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

An '01 Rahi or '06 Titan set. Both of them fabulous waves.

I was going to say this. If I had to hone in on one of the sets from each, I'd have to either go with the Tarakava or Muaka and Kane-ra and Vezon and Fenrakk. 

I think Vezon and Fenrakk would be a better pick than Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo as you get the action figure/rahi combo, an even more iconic mask, a more posable set and something that just stands out more. It looks very menacing and slick from any angle.

• Upvote 1

I was going to say this. If I had to hone in on one of the sets from each, I'd have to either go with the Tarakava or Muaka and Kane-ra and Vezon and Fenrakk. 

I think Vezon and Fenrakk would be a better pick than Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo as you get the action figure/rahi combo, an even more iconic mask, a more posable set and something that just stands out more. It looks very menacing and slick from any angle.

I hardly think the version of the Ignika that comes in Vezon & Fenrakk is anywhere near as iconic as any version of the Hau. It hardly ever appeared prominently in promotional media. With the 2008 or 2009 versions of the Ignika I think there'd be more of an argument, since those appeared extensively in media.

Also, Vezon & Fenrakk came out after issues with fragile joints started to crop up, though they weren't as prominent at that point since they typically only affected this piece.

• Upvote 1

Any of the OG rahi would be great choices. To be more specific, I'd go with the Tarakava; I would have gone with Muaka and Kane-Ra, but they may be too complex for a newcomer.

Close runner-up choices would be Boxor or any 2006 warrior set.

Edited by Akuna Toa of Sonics

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I hardly think the version of the Ignika that comes in Vezon & Fenrakk is anywhere near as iconic as any version of the Hau. It hardly ever appeared prominently in promotional media. With the 2008 or 2009 versions of the Ignika I think there'd be more of an argument, since those appeared extensively in media.

Also, Vezon & Fenrakk came out after issues with fragile joints started to crop up, though they weren't as prominent at that point since they typically only affected this piece.

And Toa Lhikan's Hau appeared prominently in promotional media? I do recall seeing it anywhere other than in his set or the movie. I mean it doesn't even come close to the original Hau/Nuva that in 2001/2002, which were everywhere. The same can be said of the 06 Ignika, but I just meant that the set contained a mask that played a vital role in the storyline whereas I am not sure the same can be said about the Hau.

I can't comment on fragile pieces. I never encountered any faulty piece.

And Toa Lhikan's Hau appeared prominently in promotional media? I do recall seeing it anywhere other than in his set or the movie. I mean it doesn't even come close to the original Hau/Nuva that in 2001/2002, which were everywhere. The same can be said of the 06 Ignika, but I just meant that the set contained a mask that played a vital role in the storyline whereas I am not sure the same can be said about the Hau.

I can't comment on fragile pieces. I never encountered any faulty piece.

The thing about Lhikan's Hau is that not only did it appear prominently in one of the movies, but it also bears a very close resemblance to the classic design of the Hau (two holes in each cheek rather than three, but the same was true of Jaller's Hau in BIONICLE: Mask of Light, and that didn't make it any less recognizable). The version of the Ignika that came with Vezon has barely a passing resemblance to the Ignika's later and more iconic appearance.

You're lucky not to have had any pieces break. A number of my family's 2005 and 2006 sets had at least one 7M double ball cup break. It wasn't always as disastrous as the way bright yellowish green ball cups in 2007 or any ball cups after the 2008 redesign would often shatter, but it still discouraged me from MOCing with those pieces in the future.

• Upvote 1

The thing about Lhikan's Hau is that not only did it appear prominently in one of the movies, but it also bears a very close resemblance to the classic design of the Hau (two holes in each cheek rather than three, but the same was true of Jaller's Hau in BIONICLE: Mask of Light, and that didn't make it any less recognizable). The version of the Ignika that came with Vezon has barely a passing resemblance to the Ignika's later and more iconic appearance.

You're lucky not to have had any pieces break. A number of my family's 2005 and 2006 sets had at least one 7M double ball cup break. It wasn't always as disastrous as the way bright yellowish green ball cups in 2007 or any ball cups after the 2008 redesign would often shatter, but it still discouraged me from MOCing with those pieces in the future.

I suppose, but it's nice to know that you have one of the most powerful Kanohi on your set. It adds to the cool factor. :P

A Rahkshi! They're awesome "golden age" sets with the poseability of later sets, and unlike Bohrok they appear prominently in other media if you want to get your friend into the story as well.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Ive personally got to say I would probably recommend the headline figure for the first few years of BIONICLE, which is you guessed it Toa Tahu Mata, the reason for me choosing him is because I would think that back in 2001 he would have been the first BIONICLE set many people would have bought because of his appearance as the main character, he is also a great set to start with because he would get you hooked as you would want to collect the other 5 Toa Mata and some enemies for them to fight (them being the Rahi or Bohrok).

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Vezon and Kardas. 

Because you get:

The Ignika;

A cape;

The pieces to build THREE other titan sets;

The Olmak;

A DRAGON!!! AN OP DRAGON!!!!!

Plus V&K were the largest Bionicle set ever when they were released.

And for story reasons...

He's Vezon! The insane dimension-hopping half-Skakdi! Who couldn't love that?

VBWj75sh.png