Metroid MOCs: Flaahgra, Jelzap, minifig Samus!

So I'm a huge fan of Metroid, particularly the Metroid Prime trilogy. As such, and as a MOCist, I've been interested in building some cool MOCs from the Prime trilogy. Hopefully, I'll be able to make more Metroid creations in the future. But, for now, here's a triple header of sorts: Flaahgra, the fearsome boss of the Chozo Ruins, the Jelzap, a curious aquatic predator of Phendrana Drifts, and the legendary Samus Aran herself, in minifig form.

Flaahgra

14757028759_2f8ba04e59_n.jpg

Flickr

"That which fouls the waters seeks the sun."

"Morphology: Flaahgra

This mutant plant is the source of toxic water in the Ruins. Flaahgra's growth cycle has been radically accelerated. As a result, it requires near-constant exposure to solar energy to remain active. This exposure has made Flaahgra's outer shell thick and durable. Concentrated weapon fire can daze it for short periods, but its lower root system is unprotected and vulnerable, however. Exploit this flaw when possible."

"Chozo script translated.

The cries of this dying land echo in our ears as we Chozo watch the Great Poison seep ever further into the living pulse of the planet. The dark energy sinks into the trees and waters, devouring all life. Peaceful beasts die by the thousands - some creatures survive, but their forms grow as twisted and evil as the force that fell from the sky. Many of these mutated monstrosities remain small enough to do little harm, but others grow enormous and threaten our very existence. One such beast defiles our sacred fountain, disgorging poison from its foul form, replacing pure, flowing water with cascades of creeping death."

Reference image.

Flaahgra is one of my favorite creatures from Metroid Prime, and one of the most creative video game bosses I've faced in general. As soon as I saw the Kaiju egg from Invasion from Below I knew I wanted to use it for the base of a Flaahgra MOC. So, here we are!

As you can see in the reference image, Flaahgra is surrounded by a lake of toxic water, which I replicated with a bunch of olive cheese slopes. The Morph Ball tunnels which lead to Flaahgra's root system are also approximated by the spokes of that giant wheel. You can also see its tentacles protruding from the tunnels to guard it when active.

(For best effect, listen to this while viewing Flaahgra.)

Jelzap

13770384024_3eaeae7c32_m.jpg

"Morphology: Jelzap

Aquatic predator made of electrically bound skeletal halves. The Jelzap's brain is located in the upper half of its body, while the heart and digestive tract occupy the lower half. Linked only by electrical impulses, the two halves somehow function effectively enough to launch the Jelzap to the top of Tallon IV's aquatic food chain."

Reference image.

The region of Phendrana's Edge, with its pools of water at the bottoms of icy caves, was made all the more memorable for having fascinating wildlife like the distinctive Jelzap.

Samus Aran

14757018819_f4f6859b43_m.jpg

"The Power Suit is an advanced Chozo exoskeleton modified for use by Samus Aran.

Samus's Notes:

The Power Suit provides life-support functions and is well shielded from attack. The modular nature of the Power Suit allows for the addition of weapons, Visors, and other gear as needed. The Power Suit's shielding loses energy with each hit; collect energy when possible to keep the shielding charged."

In case you're wondering why Samus is lacking her iconic giant shoulders, that's because at the start of Metroid Prime Samus loses all of her equipment due to suit damage, and must reacquire it on the surface of Tallon IV. Thus, she begins with only the minimal Power Suit, which she has when facing off against Flaahgra (which can be seen in the Flickr gallery). She also has no minifig face currently because I lacked a suitable female head for her. Hopefully I can eventually get the proper piece.

(In case Flaahgra's theme isn't your style, may I recommend Samus's theme?)

Enjoy, folks! :)

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 5

I'm a huge Metroid Fan too, and I really like all these MOCs! All of them look really cool. Especially Flaahgra. He was definitely one of the better bosses of Metroid Prime IMO. 

As for the Samus minifig, I actually think that it looks good as is, without a face in the helmit. That's just me though.

Here's hoping you make more Metroid MOCs! B-)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Sadly, the only three Metroid games I haven't played are the three Primes...Still on my to do list. Anyway, these MoCs are amazing! They're incredibly accurate. And Samus is spot-on. Looks really nice! Keep up the good work!

-Rez

Excellent. Truly excellent. Your next task: Lego Crocomire, maybe with a pull-back motor in its belly to recreate the game.

I know I seem like I'm joking, but I'd actually like to see that. I might make it myself someday. In fact, I'm opening up LDD right now.

Edited by Pranciblad

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Metroid Fan too, and I really like all these MOCs! All of them look really cool. Especially Flaahgra. He was definitely one of the better bosses of Metroid Prime IMO. 

As for the Samus minifig, I actually think that it looks good as is, without a face in the helmit. That's just me though.

Here's hoping you make more Metroid MOCs! B-)

Thanks! I'm glad to see that some Metroid fans on BZP are enjoying these. And I hope to keep making more MOCs from the franchise. In fact, I do have a good idea for another Metroid creation, which would likely be on a much larger scale than Flaahgra. We'll have to see what comes of that.

As for Samus's face, since I'm not sure about doing a Bricklink order for just a minifig head, she'll probably remain faceless for the moment anyway.

Sadly, the only three Metroid games I haven't played are the three Primes...Still on my to do list. Anyway, these MoCs are amazing! They're incredibly accurate. And Samus is spot-on. Looks really nice! Keep up the good work!

-Rez

You should play them! GameStop actually released a reprint of the Trilogy compilation a year or so ago, so it should be easier to get now.

Excellent. Truly excellent. Your next task: Lego Crocomire, maybe with a pull-back motor in its belly to recreate the game.

I know I seem like I'm joking, but I'd actually like to see that. I might make it myself someday. In fact, I'm opening up LDD right now.

Hey, Crocomire would actually be quite cool to see, especially if done with power functions of any kind! Unfortunately, I don't think I have the parts to do that on the proper scale, so LDD may actually be ideal in this case.

I never really like Flaahgra's fight in metroid prime but this moc is a very good representation of him. I also really like the use of bionicle minifigure parts for samus.

The Flaahgra boss fight was admittedly fairly easy, especially so on the Trilogy version. Still, I personally loved the scale and spectacle of the fight.

As for minifig Samus, I think it's appropriate to use the Bionicle fig parts for a Samus accompanying my Bionicle MOCs. Plus, the arms used allowed me to represent her arm cannon in a way that I wouldn't have been able to on a regular minifig, due to the tiny size of the minifig hand. It's just too bad those limbs come in keetorange instead of regular orange.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

Ah, Metroid Prime.

Fun memories :P

Personally, I didn't find Flaahgra all that hard.

Well done on Flaahgra. The resemblence is amazing.

Jelzap:  Also spot on.

Samus: Basic, but works.

Reminds me I've still to take a pic of my Samus Gunship and post it anywhere XD

Any intrest in doing anymore of these?

I'd love to see you tackle more stuff from Metroid Prime.

SV

Edited by Shadow Vahki

qs31325.jpg

First person to discover what realm Icarax was assigned to.

SV and TDI's comix! Now accepting guest stars! Collision of Worlds Makuta Rayzax 2.0

biokini.png

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, Metroid Prime.

Fun memories :P

Personally, I didn't find Flaahgra all that hard.

Well done on Flaahgra. The resemblence is amazing.

Jelzap:  Also spot on.

Samus: Basic, but works.

Reminds me I've still to take a pic of my Samus Gunship and post it anywhere XD

Any intrest in doing anymore of these?

I'd love to see you tackle more stuff from Metroid Prime.

SV

Thanks for the comment! I don't think Flaahgra is that difficult either, really. And it doesn't even get more health on higher difficulties because of the four bombings you do, so not a tough boss overall. Samus is pretty basic, but that's mainly to keep somewhat of a scale with Flaahgra.

And yes, I do hope to make more Metroid MOCs. I've been looking around to see what creatures and enemies may be more well-suited to MOCs, and I do have some ideas!

~B~

I love the Metroid series, and Prime especially. These are quite faithful representations. Flaahgra is my favorite, Samus my least favorite. I would love to see more of these MetrOCs.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Metroid series, and Prime especially. These are quite faithful representations. Flaahgra is my favorite, Samus my least favorite. I would love to see more of these MetrOCs.

Thanks for the comment! I do recognize Samus is a bit crudely designed, but that was due to the general restrictions of minifig scale.

More MOCs from Metroid will (hopefully) eventually come, although my time to MOC is unfortunately pretty minimal for a while now.

~B~

Metroid Prime is my favorite game, and you managed to perfectly capture Flaahgra's bizarre and complex head. Some really creative and economic building there to get all the parts together. For the Jelzap, I was always a fan of those guys, and I'm glad to see you are too! Can't wait to see your other Metroid creations in the future. 

Samus may be basic, but as a minifigure in scale with Flaahgra she works great. I do think you could have used another color for the arm cannon... Maybe orange instead of green if possible, since the Power Beam (the only beam she'd have available when fighting Flaahgra) is orange/yellow. On the other hand, I guess that wouldn't be as visible. 

Edited by Latrodectus

• 2 weeks later...

Metroid Prime is my favorite game, and you managed to perfectly capture Flaahgra's bizarre and complex head. Some really creative and economic building there to get all the parts together. For the Jelzap, I was always a fan of those guys, and I'm glad to see you are too! Can't wait to see your other Metroid creations in the future. 

Samus may be basic, but as a minifigure in scale with Flaahgra she works great. I do think you could have used another color for the arm cannon... Maybe orange instead of green if possible, since the Power Beam (the only beam she'd have available when fighting Flaahgra) is orange/yellow. On the other hand, I guess that wouldn't be as visible.

For the arm cannon, I used green because that's the color of the overall cannon in most appearances of Samus. While it's true that in the Prime series it looks more grey than green, I don't think making the whole cannon area orange would work for the Power Beam, since it's only really the interior that glows orange. Green just seemed to be the best compromise (and I was limited in what colors the Barraki eye exists in anyway).

~B~

Edited by Ballom