OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

And just as I finished my fanfics. Thanks a lot, LEGO :P .

Wow, It's just me or are old members appearing out of nowhere ?  :D

It's not you. I'm seeing a lot of old faces I haven't seen in years coming out of the woodwork. With so many old members returning and the inevitable influx of new members joining, I'd say BZP is going to see a ton of activity, maybe even more activity than we've had in the four years since Bionicle ended.

-TNTOS-

I'm getting really, really excited about this. It would be so awesome to see activity spike back up to Pre-2011 Upgrade levels.

Shall we get into this discussion again?? Yes. Let's. I want a continuation because, although the end of bionicle was filled with loose ends, villains can be introduced without much backstory, with just a quick recap video. Look in the old topic for more.

Except continuing a ten year long storyline isn't doing new fans any favors at all. The only way a continuation works is if they set it so far in the future that characters like Tahu and Gali are nothing more than legends, with maybe one or two characters from the old storyline still active to provide some exposition if needed. 

• Upvote 6

It's not you. I'm seeing a lot of old faces I haven't seen in years coming out of the woodwork. With so many old members returning and the inevitable influx of new members joining, I'd say BZP is going to see a ton of activity, maybe even more activity than we've had in the four years since Bionicle ended.

-TNTOS-

I'm getting really, really excited about this. It would be so awesome to see activity spike back up to Pre-2011 Upgrade levels.

Shall we get into this discussion again?? Yes. Let's. I want a continuation because, although the end of bionicle was filled with loose ends, villains can be introduced without much backstory, with just a quick recap video. Look in the old topic for more.

Except continuing a ten year long storyline isn't doing new fans any favors at all. The only way a continuation works is if they set it so far in the future that characters like Tahu and Gali are nothing more than legends, with maybe one or two characters from the old storyline still active to provide some exposition if needed. 

Except Matoran/Toa can live for thousands of years, can't they?

I understand the Toa Nuva and Tahu have been alive for a long time but I think there's still room for a continuation set far in the future.

• Upvote 2

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

But Bionicle characters aren't really subject to old age so setting it hundreds of years in the future and acknowledging the past while still moving forward is possible. Just because Bionicle got convoluted at the end doesn't mean it has to ride on every single plot point left behind 5 years ago.

For example - Tahu and co. are way more older now and a new threat shows up. Or Tahu and co. are training a new team of heroes and pass the torch. A continuation can still work without relying too much on older knowledge.

If people think that continuing the story (even with a major timeskip) will turn people off because they feel like they need to have previous knowledge, well then the name Bionicle should be changed cause it has a legacy behind it as well. 5 years isn't too long for us longtime fans but newcomers won't even know what Bionicle is. 

One thing I will give a reboot however, is that it will give the writers more freedom and possibly get rid of ridiculous restrictions on the story, such as the gender exclusive elements. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 5

tahubanner.jpg

But Bionicle characters aren't really subject to old age so setting it hundreds of years in the future and acknowledging the past while still moving forward is possible. Just because Bionicle got convoluted at the end doesn't mean it has to ride on every single plot point left behind 5 years ago.

For example - Tahu and co. are way more older now and a new threat shows up. Or Tahu and co. are training a new team of heroes and pass the torch. A continuation can still work without relying too much on older knowledge.

If people think that continuing the story (even with a major timeskip) will turn people off because they feel like they need to have previous knowledge, well then the name Bionicle should be changed cause it has a legacy behind it as well. 5 years isn't too long for us longtime fans but newcomers won't even know what Bionicle is. 

One thing I will give a reboot however, is that it will give the writers more freedom and possibly get rid of ridiculous restrictions on the story, such as the gender exclusive elements. 

-NotS

This would be perfect.

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

-NotS

You prove a good point. But again, it's just my personal preference that if they were to do a continuation of the story, it's without most of the characters we got to know in the old story.

• Upvote 1

What if its not a continuation or a reboot? What if we get similar characters to please the old fans, but literally everything else is different. That is sort of the trend I've been seeing.

If it's familiar faces (ie. Vakama, Tahu) but everything else is different, that's still a reboot. Every new generation of Transformers is a reboot, but that doesn't stop them all from having a new version of Optimus Prime or Megatron.

• Upvote 6

This is some of the greatest news ever to come out of this company.  I am trying not to look like an immature screamer, but on the inside I'm jumping in joy.

Personally, I think that picture shows the Mask of Creation, or some other unknown Legendary Mask (Mask of Reality? Mask of Mind?)  Anyway, this news is fantastic.

I think the story will somehow involve the return of the Dark Hunters, and Velika will definitely be in there, too.  Also, Teridax will probably leave some sort of legacy behind.  I really don't think all the Makuta are dead.  What I think is that the Dark Hunters will still have the virus that can kill Teridax, and they team with the Agori and Matoran to take down whatever of him is left.  Plus, I hope the Great Beings tie into the Velika storyline alot...

What we should be wondering is this:  Is Greg returning to write it?  I really hope he is, but he seems very busy lately and he might not.

That's all I have to say.

• Upvote 2

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

Ok, so for anyone who might use them, I got excited and "cleaned up" the mask for anyone who might use it, along with Chimoru and Exdee Veetoo sprites.

maskofawesome.png

Oh wow, that looks pretty good!

Now I'm hyped to see what the future brings in Kanohi styles...

Edited by Vahki Trooper

"Vahki were rarely, if ever, surprised by anything. After years of tracking down and subduing Rahi of all sorts, the order enforcement squads were experienced at handling almost any situation. Add to that foiling the ingenious attempts of some Matoran to try and take unscheduled vacations from work, and Vahki could safely be said to have seen it all."

-TNTOS-

Except Matoran/Toa can live for thousands of years, can't they?

I understand the Toa Nuva and Tahu have been alive for a long time but I think there's still room for a continuation set far in the future.

Matoran and Toa being effectively immortal (barring external causes of death) is actually the main reason I doubt the viability of a continuation with a timeskip. With a series set in the real world, that kind of plot can work great to iron out a convoluted story and give it a fresh start. But if every single one of the characters from the old series is still around, and can drop into the story at any point, then you've really done very little to make the story more accessible. And killing off a bunch of old characters to remove them from the story more effectively is more likely to offend older fans than a reboot ever could.

Anyway, regarding the mask—I disagree with everyone who says it looks like Vultraz's mask. Vultraz's mask was hideous, and possibly the worst mask in the entire series due to its lack of resemblance to any sort of face. The new mask lacks the bizarre forward-facing tusks of that mask, and the parts that other people seem to be associating with them are far more like the subtle flares of Breez's face from Hero Factory.

I also wouldn't consider it entirely likely that it would be the Mask of Creation, given the probability of a reboot, but who knows? Even in a reboot, creation (especially as it relates to creativity) is one of the most significant principles of the entire Lego brand. Just look at Ninjago's "Tornado of Creation", or the entirety of The Lego Movie. As a Lego theme, creation and construction are the ways most fans invariably experience the theme, and it's possible that a new story would give that particular mask more prominence for that reason.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Relaunching BIONICLE is great news, if true (and it certainly seems that way, although I was initially skeptical). I hadn't heard anything when I left the company a year ago, but stuff like this does sit and ferment in small pockets of creativity deep in the heart of Denmark.

IMHO, I believe the original BIONICLE was successful due to four things coming together in just the right proportion.

1.       Biomechanical robots on a tropical island. This mysterious dichotomy was enough to immediately create tension and make people want to know more about the story.

2.       The design of a completely new type of building toy. The Technic-based ball-and-cup socket design allowed for new, organic shapes that were completely unlike anything produced by LEGO before, and appealed to people wanting to break out of the rectilinear toybox.

3.       Mystery. Pure and simple: put out the premise and make people guess where it would go. It took at least three years to really get across the basics of the BIONICLE universe, which was finally revealed in a climax that deserved far more pomp and circumstance than we had budget to execute. But throughout its life, Mystery was a huge part of the franchise.

4.       Building a universe kids could own. The Polynesian-themed terminology was custom-made for boys to glom onto: Toa and Tohunga, cowrie shells, the names of the various Kanohi masks, the names and abilities of bad guys and their minions. The language provided a framework for kids to be in the know about something cool, and be able to find like-minded LEGO fans. And not least, be able to frustrate their parents with this extensive, confusing litany of words.

A fifth critical element was MNOLG I and II. Those really helped.

If LEGO can recapture at least some of that old magic, they'll have a hit on their hands. I'll be interested in seeing how they pull it off.

- Binkmeister

• Upvote 16

creepcrushers_sig.png

Buy a Hero. Crush some Creeps. January 2011.

I personally really really hope it is a continuation. Although I understand the reason and need for a reboot, I still want to continue in the lore that is already well established. I also would love it if that is the mask of creation and we eventually get Artahka as a set!

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!

I cannot believe it is actually happening! The Hype Train has reached its first checkpoint, and is going full speed ahead to 2015!

To get back on topic, about the Mask of ?????, Im looking closely at it and I think I see detailing on the outer prongs, on the top. The Mask of Creation was said to have been etched with ancient symbols, right? Im going for Mask of Creation.

sig.jpg

yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!

I cannot believe it is actually happening! The Hype Train has reached its first checkpoint, and is going full speed ahead to 2015!

To get back on topic, about the Mask of ?????, Im looking closely at it and I think I see detailing on the outer prongs, on the top. The Mask of Creation was said to have been etched with ancient symbols, right? Im going for Mask of Creation.

Mask of vikings if you ask me.

But in all seriousness, its identity is dependent on if it is a continuation or a reboot. If continuation, maybe Creation. We'll just have to wait and see.

bZpOwEr

Relaunching BIONICLE is great news, if true (and it certainly seems that way, although I was initially skeptical). I hadn't heard anything when I left the company a year ago, but stuff like this does sit and ferment in small pockets of creativity deep in the heart of Denmark.

IMHO, I believe the original BIONICLE was successful due to four things coming together in just the right proportion.

1.       Biomechanical robots on a tropical island. This mysterious dichotomy was enough to immediately create tension and make people want to know more about the story.

2.       The design of a completely new type of building toy. The Technic-based ball-and-cup socket design allowed for new, organic shapes that were completely unlike anything produced by LEGO before, and appealed to people wanting to break out of the rectilinear toybox.

3.       Mystery. Pure and simple: put out the premise and make people guess where it would go. It took at least three years to really get across the basics of the BIONICLE universe, which was finally revealed in a climax that deserved far more pomp and circumstance than we had budget to execute. But throughout its life, Mystery was a huge part of the franchise.

4.       Building a universe kids could own. The Polynesian-themed terminology was custom-made for boys to glom onto: Toa and Tohunga, cowrie shells, the names of the various Kanohi masks, the names and abilities of bad guys and their minions. The language provided a framework for kids to be in the know about something cool, and be able to find like-minded LEGO fans. And not least, be able to frustrate their parents with this extensive, confusing litany of words.

If LEGO can recapture at least some of that old magic, they'll have a hit on their hands. I'll be interested in seeing how they pull it off.

- Binkmeister

Kelly! Great to see you back! :D I'll definitely agree with you on that. BIONICLE came at just the right time, and with just the right formula. Perhaps the biggest aspect that contributed to its success was web and media, IMO. BIONICLE.com came onto the scene at the beginnings of the web as we know it, and took advantage of this new medium, and I believe that it was a huge part of what made me so engrossed in the series. The story was presented in such a mysterious and intriguing way, and it made you want to learn everything you possibly could about it. The visuals were stunning as well; I could spend hours on BIONICLE.com. That led straight into the MNOLG, which was an even more fantastic experience. I think recreating this whole experience, from BIONICLE.com to a game like the MNOLG, is crucial to BIONICLE enjoying the same kind of success as it did the first time around. I hope they can do it. 

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

So, we all know there were leaks, and of course, Lego couldn't speak of them, and could deny them.

They tried to keep us in the dark, then they put this on their site, don't create links, and someone guesses their way to it.

I really want to know what the people at Lego are thinking right now.  Are we just good?  Or are they actually angry that someone found it via a legitimate source/their website, meaning they can't really deny it.

I really want to know.

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

Vultraz's mask was hideous, and possibly the worst mask in the entire series

nah son.

That mask was weird and may not have fit Gali the best but at the very least, it had the geometric stylings and facial structure to allow it to fit in with other masks. Vultraz's mask, on the other hand, was bulbuous, misshapen, and gross. It felt like the initial concept or first draft of a mask design—not something polished enough to appear in a set.

Though honestly, you have a point in that 2008 had some of the worst mask designs in the series. The redesigned Kaukau Nuva might well be the third-worst, after Vultraz's mask and Antroz's redesigned mask from the Jetrax T6.

So, we all know there were leaks, and of course, Lego couldn't speak of them, and could deny them.

They tried to keep us in the dark, then they put this on their site, don't create links, and someone guesses their way to it.

I really want to know what the people at Lego are thinking right now. Are we just good? Or are they actually angry that someone found it via a legitimate source/their website, meaning they can't really deny it.

I really want to know.

Lego probably doesn't care much. They might be a little miffed that whatever big reveal they might have planned has been undercut, and they might take the pics down now that they've been found ahead of time, but ultimately it doesn't matter much. All this picture tells us is that the theme is coming back—not what the sets look like or what the story entails or anything at all that could be used by Lego's competitors. And they don't need to deny anything any more than they did before—the reveal surely is coming soon, so all they need to do is maintain radio silence until that point.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Matoran and Toa being effectively immortal (barring external causes of death) is actually the main reason I doubt the viability of a continuation with a timeskip. With a series set in the real world, that kind of plot can work great to iron out a convoluted story and give it a fresh start. But if every single one of the characters from the old series is still around, and can drop into the story at any point, then you've really done very little to make the story more accessible. And killing off a bunch of old characters to remove them from the story more effectively is more likely to offend older fans than a reboot ever could.

Anyway, regarding the mask—I disagree with everyone who says it looks like Vultraz's mask. Vultraz's mask was hideous, and possibly the worst mask in the entire series due to its lack of resemblance to any sort of face. The new mask lacks the bizarre forward-facing tusks of that mask, and the parts that other people seem to be associating with them are far more like the subtle flares of

Breez's face from Hero Factory.

I also wouldn't consider it entirely likely that it would be the Mask of Creation, given the probability of a reboot, but who knows? Even in a reboot, creation (especially as it relates to creativity) is one of the most significant principles of the entire Lego brand. Just look at Ninjago's "Tornado of Creation", or the entirety of The Lego Movie. As a Lego theme, creation and construction are the ways most fans invariably experience the theme, and it's possible that a new story would give that particular mask more prominence for that reason.

Again I can't stress enough that this is also effectively a non-issue. A good writer can leave out all the unnecessary old details while still focusing on the current events. Acknowledging past events could be relegated to just a subtle nod. Even backstory can be tied into the main characters (assuming the new main characters are the Toa Mata/Nuva). "The six Toa have been through countless trials and tribulations in the past". Regarding Spherus Magna - "Once a divided world, the Masters of the Elements, the Toa, were able to unify and bring the inhabitants together".

Some people would like to see the events that led up to it but there's also a solution to that - Bring in a force of of evil that threatens that existing status quo. It creates a narrative that doesn't rely on knowledge of Spherus Magna's destruction, Mata Nui's mission and all that. In the case of Mata Nui or Makuta, they can return to being just LEGENDS since both are as good as dead. 

That's the thing with a revival of a franchise if it continues where it left off - It shouldn't alienate either the new or old fans. For new fans, they can get into the story with ease, and if they want previous knowledge? It's out there for them. But it's not needed to understand the story at hand. For the old fans? They get a continuation and even some hidden references that will give them a chuckle. So what if any old character can drop in at any time? A good writer can drop in an old character effectively if they give them a proper entrance and don't assume the audience already knows who it is.

But don't get me wrong - although I would prefer a continuation in some form, I wouldn't mind a reboot either. It would be awesome to see how LEGO could take familiar elements and characters and throw them into a completely new setting. I for one would not mind a more developed introduction to the Toa Mata.

- Binkmeister

I agree, Binky. That was part of its success. I firmly believe they can recapture that by going either route. Whichever they pull though, I'm sure they'll want to go back to the 2001 roots. 

But wait, I didn't know you left LEGO. :( Aw man! You and Leah made the best BIONICLE sites. Hopefully whoever picks it up will be just as great. :) (and Leah still has a chance to work on it, no?)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Has anyone noticed the image of the island of mata nui in the mask? On the circle in the center of the mask.

It's a little bit too small to see whether or not it really is the island. I don't really recognize the distinct shape from the image we have so it could just be a shape as part of the design.

Another great piece of news is that it looks like the masks won't be having the holes on the mouth area unless it's part of the design. I wonder if that means they will be using a different connection? If they're using a different connection does that mean we might be getting different heads?

Has anyone noticed the image of the island of mata nui in the mask? On the circle in the center of the mask.

It's a little bit too small to see whether or not it really is the island. I don't really recognize the distinct shape from the image we have so it could just be a shape as part of the design.

Another great piece of news is that it looks like the masks won't be having the holes on the mouth area unless it's part of the design. I wonder if that means they will be using a different connection? If they're using a different connection does that mean we might be getting different heads?

Well we'll be getting different heads from the original BIONICLE regardless, because none of the old ones are still in production. But no telling what heads we might be getting or how they might attach. We might get the same heads from the Hero Factory Brain Attack sets, or something entirely new (though hopefully designed with a similar amount of versatility — those are some of the best head pieces ever released as far as building is concerned). As for how masks attach, that's also up in the air. Ones that attach to the top of the head rather than the front are a possibility that should not be discounted. Those would not leave a visible mouth hole on the outside.
  • Upvote 1

Gatanui. You have made so me so happy for this amazing find! 

I honestly cannot wait for Bionicle to be back! Now we just have to wait and see what they reveal at NY Comic Con! :D

Btw I love the design on this new mask the new mask design. Hopefully its a brand new mask that we havent yet heard of before.

Also sorry if Im just randomly posting here in the middle of all this discussion you all might be having. Its just that with work and school, I really wasnt able to find the news out until recently. :P

We might get the same heads from the Hero Factory Brain Attack sets, or something entirely new (though hopefully designed with a similar amount of versatility — those are some of the best head pieces ever released as far as building is concerned). As for how masks attach, that's also up in the air. Ones that attach to the top of the head rather than the front are a possibility that should not be discounted. Those would not leave a visible mouth hole on the outside.

okay but did you know:

Brain-Attack head in it's traditional humanoid orientation has the hole in the wrong place to be compatible with all previous bionicle front-mounted masks?

which means any future front-mounted masks would only be compatible with Brain-Attack heads, should they use them!

(a future i do not look forward to.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Just as I had started to drift away from Bionicle again, I see this and I come screaming back. I literally can hardly contain my excitement!

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

How Bionicle 2015 was saved  (for some reason, I can't link right right now)

Yes, as soon as I realized it was coming back, I had to do it.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/14539-how-bionicle-2015-was-saved/

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I can see some sort-of Aztec/Mesoamerican aesthetic in the design of that mask, which I think would be an interesting direction to take designs for a year or so; they may not have been an island culture, but I think it would be interesting to see echoes of an aesthetic unlike that which we've seen in Bionicle before.

(Plus it would be interesting to see a set at least partially inspired by Quetzalcoatl)

You know, all this speculation about the Mask of Creation has me thinking...

2001-2005 had the Vahi.

2006-2010 had the Ignika.

That'd be pretty cool if they focused on the third legendary mask for the next story arc. That way we could split the names of the Bionicle era's by a Kanohi name. :P

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Once again, does anyone else here see that mask and think of Viking Helms? 

I can kind of see a Viking resemblance in it, but it kind of reminds me more of a medieval crown than anything else. But that is just me.

what do you guys think this is the mask of?

I personally think its going to be a new Kanohi Mask not seen in story before. Of course, this is coming from someone who believes the storyline is being rebooted. And I also think it would be more interesting if it was a new mask. But I have no idea what kind of power it would have though. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png