OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

...I felt like they were a step in the right direction in terms of looking genuinely face-like. It was easy to believe that they could show expression, which was harder with some of the older heads.

I agree - it's why I'm hoping we don't get the BA heads for the new Toa. It would be a shame if they had faceless... faces.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

...I felt like they were a step in the right direction in terms of looking genuinely face-like. It was easy to believe that they could show expression, which was harder with some of the older heads.

I agree - it's why I'm hoping we don't get the BA heads for the new Toa. It would be a shame if they had faceless... faces.

I think the Brain Attack heads were a bit of a trade-off. They didn't have faces, but on the other hand, they were super versatile (and the faces of the masks themselves were consistently expressive enough to make up for the lack of faces on the "skulls" underneath).

So I dunno, I guess I don't totally care if the heads of the new BIONICLE sets have faces, but if they do I'd rather them look expressive like the Glatorian heads or the Hero Factory 2.0 heads. The rigid, alien-looking faces of the Toa Mata and Toa Metru heads kind of annoyed me as an artist and MOCist.

• Upvote 1

I think the Brain Attack heads were a bit of a trade-off. They didn't have faces, but on the other hand, they were super versatile (and the faces of the masks themselves were consistently expressive enough to make up for the lack of faces on the "skulls" underneath).

So I dunno, I guess I don't totally care if the heads of the new BIONICLE sets have faces, but if they do I'd rather them look expressive like the Glatorian heads or the Hero Factory 2.0 heads. The rigid, alien-looking faces of the Toa Mata and Toa Metru heads kind of annoyed me as an artist and MOCist.

It's kind of pointless having an expressive face when it's going to be covered by a mask for, like, the rest of your life. It's better if the masks themselves are expressive. 

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 2

I think the Brain Attack heads were a bit of a trade-off. They didn't have faces, but on the other hand, they were super versatile (and the faces of the masks themselves were consistently expressive enough to make up for the lack of faces on the "skulls" underneath).So I dunno, I guess I don't totally care if the heads of the new BIONICLE sets have faces, but if they do I'd rather them look expressive like the Glatorian heads or the Hero Factory 2.0 heads. The rigid, alien-looking faces of the Toa Mata and Toa Metru heads kind of annoyed me as an artist and MOCist.

I have to admit to the usefulness/functionality that came with the BA heads, and you're right - the helmets were expressive enough in themselves to not need faces on the "skulls". The thing is, though, that Toa are meant to have faces underneath - at least, in the media we've seen. So not having faces would be a bit of a downside to me.

But yeah, I would want Glatorian/HF 2.0-style, too.

• Upvote 2

Maybe I'm just too passively indifferent about design, but personally the design of the face isn't a concern to me at all considering it will, almost always, be covered by a mask. And if the characters are going to appear in an animation of some sort it's going to be that mask, not the face below it, that conveys expression. So as long as the masks have some features that allow it to look somewhat expressive, the face design is irrelevant to me. I'd even be content with a non-face like the Hordika had.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Upvote 1
BZPRPG

I liked the classic faces best, I think, but that's probably mostly nostalgia talking.

Edited by Endless Sea (still alive)

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Personally I preferred heads that had faces on them: without those, there's no visual indication that it's a head at all, and not just an inner skull permanently affixed to the mask. The fact that the first official Bio2015 material we've seen is a Kanohi should indicate that that is not what they intend. It was appropriate for Hero Factory, since the heroes never need to remove their helmets (nightmare-inducing IFB animations aside).

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Guys I'm pretty sure it's a reboot since Lewa's element is Jungle now. :P

You have absolutely no way of knowing that other than leaked and possibly fraudulent materials, so I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that and proceed on the assumption that we really can't know anything for sure until we get an official statement from Lego.

Except that the Mask of Hype is pointy, shiny, and almost certainly Important. That's pretty definite.

I made an educated guess, I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Guys I'm pretty sure it's a reboot since Lewa's element is Jungle now. :P

You have absolutely no way of knowing that other than leaked and possibly fraudulent materials, so I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that and proceed on the assumption that we really can't know anything for sure until we get an official statement from Lego.

Except that the Mask of Hype is pointy, shiny, and almost certainly Important. That's pretty definite.

I made an educated guess, I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Ehe. Sure, let's go with that.

SO! If we're making guesses, I want the Chronicler's Company as Toa. Because it'd be an entertaining band of misfits, and also because they're on my mind right now for some unfathomable reason. -hides fanfic behind her back-

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

I guess I can't say I hate the Glatorian head but I hated the complete transparency and I wish there was a brain stalk or something. As long as the new masks are compatible with the old ones, it's not a problem (though I get the idea that that will not be the case). I just don't like completely transparent heads above all. It should have at least some sort of pattern for eyes. Something about completely transparent heads doesn't feel right to me.

I like the idea of Makuta still being around, but not as a threat. What if some Matoran stumbles across all that remains of Makuta in a jungle somewhere, and he's been reduced to a powerless ghost of antidermis? Just floating around as a whisp for thousands of years, regretting what he's done. 

Could be kind of a haunting story, if done right. Perhaps some young Matoran has to go talk to him to learn some ancient knowledge relevant to the current storyline? 

If Teridax is present in the new story, I guarantee he will become the villain at some point, knowing TLG. This would be a great introduction though.

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I really hope that we get some new villains for Bionicle's next run. I honestly don't want to have Teridax in the new story. I feel like his legacy should stay with Bionicle original run. But if they do have a Makuta be the overall villain again, I'd want it be a new Makuta we haven't seen before. I think they story would be more interesting this way.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I really hope that we get some new villains for Bionicle's next run. I honestly don't want to have Teridax in the new story. I feel like his legacy should stay with Bionicle original run. But if they do have a Makuta be the overall villain again, I'd want it be a new Makuta we haven't seen before. I think they story would be more interesting this way.

I agree with you. I am sick of Teridax, and seriously hope that he's dead for good now.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I agree with you. I am sick of Teridax, and seriously hope that he's dead for good now.

All evil Teridaxian individuals should stay far away from the new Bionicle. His time is past, and new legends await. 

This is the way of the Bionicle. 

• Upvote 2

If we do get Vultraz with a crown, there needs to be an epic commercial for it with "Hail to the King" playing in it...and he needs to have become a Toa of Shadow.

I hate Vultraz. I don't think he deserves a crown. 

(Which looks like a viking helmet, for the tenth time). 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

If we do get Vultraz with a crown, there needs to be an epic commercial for it with "Hail to the King" playing in it...and he needs to have become a Toa of Shadow.

It really doesn't. At all. Not even vaguely.

For one thing, real Viking helmets didn't have horns. That was a nineteenth-century invention. For another thing, no real OR fictional Viking helmets when I do a Google Image Search for "viking helmet" bear even the foggiest resemblance to this mask. I've never in my life heard of a Viking helmet with five horns, let alone a viking helmet where ANY of the horns looked remotely like the vertical spikes on this mask.

If you can find a picture of a viking helmet that looks remotely like that mask, you're welcome to show me, but as it is I have no idea how you got this idea into your head.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 7

Wrong, it's a crown.

All HAIL HYPNOTOAD KING VULTRAZ.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

For some reason this whole King Vultraz thing irks me... sure it has resemblance but this new mask is about a million times better in every way.

Probably because the mask doesn't resemble Vultraz's mask at all. It has some flares coming out of the sides, but they are neither the right shape nor angle to be reminiscent of Vultraz's. Breez on the other hand...
  • Upvote 4

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

For me the first thing that came to mind when I saw the mask was this piece.

I feel the likeness wouldn't be as noticeable if you were to look at the non-gold version of the piece and base it on its shape and structure alone. :P

I wasn't even thinking of the gold, that was just the pic BrickLink had for it.

Examining it closely yeah there's not a huge similarity, but it does have the spikes on the side and then "horns" coming off of it (if you mentally flip the image 180°).

OpAXNpl.jpg

For me the first thing that came to mind when I saw the mask was this piece.

I feel the likeness wouldn't be as noticeable if you were to look at the non-gold version of the piece and base it on its shape and structure alone. :P

I wasn't even thinking of the gold, that was just the pic BrickLink had for it.

Examining it closely yeah there's not a huge similarity, but it does have the spikes on the side and then "horns" coming off of it (if you mentally flip the image 180°).

Fair enough, I still see a combination of the Avsa's lips/cheeks (the pouting look :P) and the Jutlin. That being said combining those two probably does just give you something like Vultraz's mask. :P

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Excuse my negativity, but I can't help but wonder if any heads have rolled at LEGO as a result of these leaks, including the mask. Or has LEGO accepted it as normal?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Excuse my negativity, but I can't help but wonder if any heads have rolled at LEGO as a result of these leaks, including the mask. Or has LEGO accepted it as normal?

Well, the Leaks That Shall Not Be Discussed possibly/probably. The Mask of Hype, on the other hand, is on the public Lego servers as a thing clearly meant to (eventually) go on the Products page, so I'm not sure about "normal", but probably "a foreseeable occurrence". Considering that it's been more than half a week and the image is still on the site, I'd say it's less "leak" and more "sneaky teaser to get the fans flailingly excited and the hype bandwagon rolling".

• Upvote 5

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

If it is a reboot, well... there's still the original continuity to jump into if people miss it... kinda, anyway.

...Seriously, I'm not just self advertizing, here. If Bionicle IS getting rebooted, that just motivates me to work harder with my story to keep the original canon going in my own little way. I mean... it's not like Lego can stop us from doing things like that, right?

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Probably not. Lego can't possibly withhold everything until the point of release—there's just too much that needs to be done in advance by both Lego employees, retail partners, and outside contractors. The initial, illegal leaks were not perpetrated by anyone employed by Lego, but rather, by another company which assembles retail displays. The set list leaks were perpetrated by retailers who jumped the gun—something that happens almost every year for almost every theme, and can't be effectively prevented given the massive number of retailers Lego works with. And this mask upload was more likely than not meant to go up this early—they just didn't count on Bionicle fans who already had reason to suspect the theme's return being so resourceful. It's unlikely that Lego would make a fuss about this final leak—all it tells us is that the theme will be returning (which most of us already knew from the display leak and set lists) and shows us what a mask we don't know the significance of looks like.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Hey guys! First post, by the way :) I signed up a few months back, and, being me, completely forgot. However, my love for bionicle (Been here since the first Toa Mata!) brought me to remember to come back to this forum... and I was NOT disappointed!

I tried to read all of the responses, but I just couldn't... I read three pages and decided to post my response. Sorry about any repeats and such, and sorry that I didn't keep too close to storyline outside of the main sets (I have very little knowledge about Artahka and the mask of creation, please forgive me!). I tried to read up on some things, but it's hard to find your way around the bionicle storyline XD

As for my speculations on reboot or continuation... I'd go with reboot, as much as I would love a continuation. Lego stated in its good-bye Bionicle letter to the fans that they ended the line partially because the storyline was too complex for the younger audience to comprehend. Likely, the story will be a reboot with possible ties to the old storyline (Turaga from the Mata team?).

Like they did with Metru Nui, the storywriters can be very versatile with the storyline as the Bionicle universe literally doesn't end. There can and will always be more island and planets. Not only that, but there's always the potential for new great beings. My favorite theory is that it's the mask of another great being. I know they're big but... They worked it out with Mata Nui, so why not?

My point is, they probably would like to distances themselves ("them" being the storyline writers) from the old storyline to get a fresh start with new fans, while the simple fact that Bionicle is Bionicle will bring many old fans' interest back. The storyline could just make a new island, new team of Toa, do a time skip or different universe, and  drop some connections to the storyline every now and then that do not really affect the new storyline, but drop those connections just to make us old fans flip out.

In the end, however, all we can do is wait for official release. Believe it or not, I probably won't buy the sets, as much as I'd like to; I don't have the time to play with my Bionicles (which I still have) anymore. What I'm REALLY excited for is the storyline. Bionicle storyline has ALWAYS intrigued me. I absolutely LOVE it. When I heard of Hero Factory, I was really disappointed in the premise and the building system for non-big-box sets made me cringe. I'll have high expectations for the building system and storyline... Hope Lego does well!

• Upvote 2

the story will be a reboot with possible ties to the old storyline

A new story that's connected to an old one is not a reboot. :P 

What I meant wasn't really a connection... I used the wrong word XD I guess the word I was looking for was "reference"...  Some "easter egg" sort of thing. I don't know the word, go easy on me XD

Uh, yes it can be.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Uh, yes it can be.

"to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning."

For the new story to be connected to the old one requires continuity between the two. The purpose of a reboot is to remove that continuity. That amounts to nothing specific to the old story featuring in the new one.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Definition of Reboot according to the Oxford Dictionary:

'Restart or revive (a process or sequence, especially a series of films or television '

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I don't know about that Oxford definition, but typically when something is referred to as a reboot (especially in film) it usually refers to reestablishing something in a different continuity, like Nolan's Batman Begins, or Abrams' Star Trek.

Although, unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't been confirmed exactly what the upcoming BIONICLE will be. It could very well be a continuation/sequel (instead of a reboot), but one that doesn't require previous knowledge to make it accessible for new fans.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG