Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

I don't think they should be called misprints as they are molded items, not printed ones, I think they should be called Molding-Errors. However if I'm making a YouTube video in the future, I'll have to call them that in the thumbnail or title to get people to click through.

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

About green Nuva parts - chuckschwa is right. They are test molds. They are made in colors like green, so it is easy to see any defects. I wouldn't call them prototypes since they are not used as part of design process but they are used to check if mold works correctly. Usually such parts come from Lego employees or are sold by people who suppose to take them away to utilization. Those green Nuva weapons are available on market for last 13 years or so. I have them as well:

sxfvPIq.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mask Hunter Lewa said:

About green Nuva parts - chuckschwa is right. They are test molds. They are made in colors like green, so it is easy to see any defects. I wouldn't call them prototypes since they are not used as part of design process but they are used to check if mold works correctly. Usually such parts come from Lego employees or are sold by people who suppose to take them away to utilization. Those green Nuva weapons are available on market for last 13 years or so. I have them as well:

sxfvPIq.jpg

Them being test molds makes much more sense to me than prototypes. Out of curiosity, what about them being green makes it easier to see defects?

I was also curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of getting one of these from a lego employeee, but it sounds like everyone mostly just found these in random lots or bought these from someone else. 

Thanks for the info on these pieces, guys. I had forgotten about that green Takua and Pewku prototype. Wonder why no one seems to have Onua's weapons.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, Nektann said:

I don't think they should be called misprints as they are molded items, not printed ones, I think they should be called Molding-Errors. However if I'm making a YouTube video in the future, I'll have to call them that in the thumbnail or title to get people to click through.

The term mismould is already used to refer to pieces that have physical deformities, so pieces that are the wrong colour are called misprints. It's not the perfect word since, as you say, they aren't actually printed.

And yeah, the 2001 European "misprints" are almost certainly not real misprints.

-L

• 3 weeks later...

It's pretty strange to hear about the supposed variety pack that contained the White Huna/Brown Komau that no one has any images for. I don't know if that happens in this day and age of cataloguing LEGO sets besides the alt colours for the brick built Kanohi set and weird releases like those Korean Piraka multipacks. It's like lost media or something, I wonder if those kind of releases could be their own coveted rarities, or at least in getting pictures of them (the Korean Piraka combiner that only has one side of instructions seen in particular, it's crazy).

Also, I'm kinda swayed on this story of the Sand Tarakava just being a prototype of the Tarakava made in a different colour than the final set (much like the recent red/yellow Nui-Rama prototypes found and those Manas ones with the trans-blue Kanohi) rather than a scrapped set of its own. I don't know, why would you design a big set around specifically 2 Rahi that mostly just punch each other and then make a budget option where the 2-player appeal of it is removed?
https://emilyinternet.zone/weblog/2020-7-23.html

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

3 hours ago, TommyG said:

It's pretty strange to hear about the supposed variety pack that contained the White Huna/Brown Komau that no one has any images for. I don't know if that happens in this day and age of cataloguing LEGO sets besides the alt colours for the brick built Kanohi set and weird releases like those Korean Piraka multipacks. It's like lost media or something, I wonder if those kind of releases could be their own coveted rarities, or at least in getting pictures of them (the Korean Piraka combiner that only has one side of instructions seen in particular, it's crazy).

Also, I'm kinda swayed on this story of the Sand Tarakava just being a prototype of the Tarakava made in a different colour than the final set (much like the recent red/yellow Nui-Rama prototypes found and those Manas ones with the trans-blue Kanohi) rather than a scrapped set of its own. I don't know, why would you design a big set around specifically 2 Rahi that mostly just punch each other and then make a budget option where the 2-player appeal of it is removed?
https://emilyinternet.zone/weblog/2020-7-23.html

I think it's plausible that there was some kind of product that included those masks, but which wasn't widely available or even documented. There's plenty of precedent: along with the Korean Piraka, there were also the Korean Bohrok Va polybags (see here), the Lithuanian Tohunga, and the Japanese Kabaya Turaga, Bohrok Va, and 2003 Matoran. I've heard that the white Huna and brown Komau tend to show up in old collections mostly in Sweden, so it's entirely possible that there was a Swedish exclusive that included them. On a related note, I've always suspected that these pieces are not as few in number as we tend to think; if in fact the white Huna and brown Komau came in a limited retail product, then there are probably dozens or even hundreds of them out there, but the majority of them are tucked away and forgotten in people's childhood collections. I've seen way more white Huna than Lithuanian Tohunga, and presumably there were at least hundreds of units of the latter produced. It's not sensible to produce a retail product unless you're making it in large enough quantities to satisfy the market you're aiming for. Of course, the limited retail theory could be false and they might really be rare prototypes.

Thanks for the blog post on the Sand Tarakava, I hadn't come across that before. It makes way more sense that it was a prototype for the regular Tarakava.

-L

Edited by Letagi
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 5:57 AM, Mask Hunter Lewa said:

sxfvPIq.jpg

BLACK NUVA LEGS!!!!!!   Now those I would die to try and find someone wanting to sell them.

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some more data for everyone:

• I purchased a Black Prototype Pakari in 2016 for $500 from fifi2004 on BrickLink.
  • I have a mismold gold Pakari with the top left "gill" sticking out (but I don't have good pictures of it at the moment). I got it from BrickLink on accident.
  • I got super lucky and spied a 5-hole Kraahkan in a lot of 43 random masks ($50) on EBay (2016). Someone offered me $200 plus a pearl gold Kraahkan for it, but I didn't sell it.
  • I got a pearl gold Kraahkan from the a Russian EBay seller by purchasing the Tower of Toa set for $55 (in 2016).

None of these are for sale, so please don't ask.

gallery_114868_370_4342.png

See a new notification here reminded me, I haven't posted my prototypes I acquired this year... Two of them aren't actually mine, the launcher and the skrall blade, those are my girlfriend's but eventually when we move in together our collections will combine and they'll be reunited lol.

20220312_180527.thumb.jpg.bd7e1e3e266c0f69ee8cc7d089b372ab.jpg

Pictured are a rough design prototype of the midak skyblaster, a skrall blade with a medium blue looking decorational part in the center, a 2007-style glow in the dark inika chestplate (Jaller/Kongu/Hahli's one), yellow shadow leech, and a weirdly coloured thornax fruit. The thornax is some sort of foggy but translucentish white with black bits, including the thorns and one circular area on one side, and all the black is rubber. None are for sale ever just to be clear but I thought it's nice to add to the known prototypes!! That list is already tantalizing, let's make it even better haha. I can take better pictures of my three prototypes if needed, and can ask the same of my girlfriend

• Like 3
I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

18 hours ago, toa trisabelle said:

See a new notification here reminded me, I haven't posted my prototypes I acquired this year... Two of them aren't actually mine, the launcher and the skrall blade, those are my girlfriend's but eventually when we move in together our collections will combine and they'll be reunited lol.

20220312_180527.thumb.jpg.bd7e1e3e266c0f69ee8cc7d089b372ab.jpg

Pictured are a rough design prototype of the midak skyblaster, a skrall blade with a medium blue looking decorational part in the center, a 2007-style glow in the dark inika chestplate (Jaller/Kongu/Hahli's one), yellow shadow leech, and a weirdly coloured thornax fruit. The thornax is some sort of foggy but translucentish white with black bits, including the thorns and one circular area on one side, and all the black is rubber. None are for sale ever just to be clear but I thought it's nice to add to the known prototypes!! That list is already tantalizing, let's make it even better haha. I can take better pictures of my three prototypes if needed, and can ask the same of my girlfriend

******, where do you even find stuff like this? Those are awesome.

4 minutes ago, InconspicuousShark said:

******, where do you even find stuff like this? Those are awesome.

I wish I could say magic haha. I had to drive (or more accurately, have my girlfriend drive) 2.5 hours both ways to go get em, but it was the same source as most of the prototypes on the list.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, InkAlchemist1994 said:

Some more data for everyone:

• I purchased a Black Prototype Pakari in 2016 for $500 from fifi2004 on BrickLink.
  • I have a mismold gold Pakari with the top left "gill" sticking out (but I don't have good pictures of it at the moment). I got it from BrickLink on accident.
  • I got super lucky and spied a 5-hole Kraahkan in a lot of 43 random masks ($50) on EBay (2016). Someone offered me $200 plus a pearl gold Kraahkan for it, but I didn't sell it.
  • I got a pearl gold Kraahkan from the a Russian EBay seller by purchasing the Tower of Toa set for $55 (in 2016).

None of these are for sale, so please don't ask.

I also have a Pakari with a protuberance in the cheek/gill area. Does yours look like this too?  https://imgur.com/a/y4Ow0ma

5 minutes ago, InkAlchemist1994 said:

Yeah, mine has the same exact gill/cheek deformity.

Just a note on terminology: A "misprint" is a mask printed in the wrong color; a "mismold" is a mask like this that was molded improperly.

Noted! Thanks 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:19 PM, Kraata Kink said:

Has this been documented yet? I was going through my kanoka disks, and found vakama's disk with another layer of printing rotated 90 degrees off.

Only visible under a strong light, or on a screen but pretty cool regardless.

PXL_20220209_190354975.thumb.jpg.8af7404d61f7f22c00f9edf4bf321729.jpg

I have a Rock Slizer (Granite Throwbot) disk with a similar quasi-print of a different type underneath the top layer. I believe this must've happened occasionally with pad-printed LEGO pieces and I don't think it's ever been of particular interest to anyone.

In fact it's quite astounding that there are no actual, literal misprints with these types of pieces, ever. Every printed LEGO piece I've ever seen has always had the right image on it.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, Purplepox said:

https://imgur.com/a/jUfQeFZ 

Some more images of the Pakari misprint. In the third image it's the one on the left. I do think in this case it's a genuine misprint. 

i think i've seen something like this in one of mine too. i'd have to check to see if i still have it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/15/2014 at 9:35 PM, Letagi said:

Hero Factory Recon chest piece - $50 (reference)

This piece came with the Hero Factory Recon sets in 2011. The sets were designed using an online creator program, and each set came with the exclusive chest piece. It was never included in any other releases and is difficult to find

The chest piece didn't come with every set, it had to be chosen as the chest piece for the hero. When 3.0 rolled around the chest piece was retired/sold out, but you could still use it in your digital customization. Although you could still use it in the digital creator, when you went to purchase the hero it notified you that the piece was no longer available and replaced it with a normal black chest piece. So on top of the Hero Recon Team being short-lived and not having a lot of sales, the piece was very limited to begin with, even inside of the Recon Team.

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago I was lucky to get a hold of a small batch of previously unknown protos from a retired lego employee. Just to add to the list since this is the best round-up of known rare parts in the global community.

Brown/gold marbled Olmak

Black/gold marbled Olmak

Marbled green mix Hau

Red/transluscent Thornax and grey early version mold

Black/opaque Thornax

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Man, those are some awesome recolours. Wish I had the connections to find stuff like that :confused:

Seeing the amount of test colours that are documented and the gaps in years represented makes me think there must be so many more out there.

Edit: Also idk how to quote people once I've already posted, but one that Skrall Blade and GiTD Torso are cool, those would be so useful for Mocs!

Edited by Axelford
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whilst not a mask or such, I got a 2005 Hordika Store banner for a good price. I did not think it through very well however as it is the size of my bed and I have no wall space for it lol...so it stays in its tube for now. But I am definitely looking forward to displaying at a Convention or something. Oh, and speaking of masks I did get in my order on Socketball's latest mask batch but those don't' really count as rare because they're just a fan reprint really, still purple kaukaus are sick!

• Like 1

Recently received some more prototype leeches! 4 early versions of the shadow leech printed and spray painted, an early tridax pod, 3 orange testmold leeches, and another proto tridax pod (made in a darker orange than the final version). I also got quite a decent amount of prototype leeches that are for the most part the normal blue colors, but with a layer of sparkles applied. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkRfaCopf4G/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkTMqlMrK-n/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

All of mine have the same marks. I'm inclined to think the tan Kraahkan is genuine because of the source. The BrickLink store they came from seems to have access to a lot of prototypes and pieces in unusual colours.

As for the Disk of Time, it's probably impossible to tell for sure whether it's a misprint or just worn off. There are plenty of cleaners and solvents that can strip the printing off a piece without damaging the surface underneath. In fact, I'll go one step further and say I'm skeptical that there ever was a genuine numberless DoT; I wouldn't rule out the possibility that someone made a couple, passed them off as real, and now years later they are considered very valuable. Even if they were real, it would be difficult to sell one of the originals today because of how easy they are to copy.

Just my opinion though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 11/11/2022 at 8:57 AM, Letagi said:

All of mine have the same marks. I'm inclined to think the tan Kraahkan is genuine because of the source. The BrickLink store they came from seems to have access to a lot of prototypes and pieces in unusual colours.

As for the Disk of Time, it's probably impossible to tell for sure whether it's a misprint or just worn off. There are plenty of cleaners and solvents that can strip the printing off a piece without damaging the surface underneath. In fact, I'll go one step further and say I'm skeptical that there ever was a genuine numberless DoT; I wouldn't rule out the possibility that someone made a couple, passed them off as real, and now years later they are considered very valuable. Even if they were real, it would be difficult to sell one of the originals today because of how easy they are to copy.

Just my opinion though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You would have to find a way to not destroy the color gradient under the number of the disk of time. I don’t think that can be done by sanding or chemically removing the numbers.