Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

On 11/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, tourmalinex said:

You would have to find a way to not destroy the color gradient under the number of the disk of time. I don’t think that can be done by sanding or chemically removing the numbers.

Yeah, I had forgotten about the gradient when I made that comment. Looking at it again, it's hard to say whether it's part of the print or dyed into the plastic... I only have one right now, but if I get a spare, I might try removing the numbers to see whether it's possible.

1 hour ago, Letagi said:

Yeah, I had forgotten about the gradient when I made that comment. Looking at it again, it's hard to say whether it's part of the print or dyed into the plastic... I only have one right now, but if I get a spare, I might try removing the numbers to see whether it's possible.

The image on the disk of time is printed on to it, the collector I know says you would have to reprinted it on the mask somehow. However, you could get fake discs from playsets fond on Alibaba’s now (aliexpress). They just have a disc of time printed on them, but don’t have a gradient. Also, you could get knock off of the golden mask of life from some sellers as well.

• 2 months later...

Well those are absolutely amazing. My favorite mask, the Matatu, in my favorite LEGO color! The Rau in sand green is a standout, partly because we never got any production masks in that color. Which is a darn shame because it looks beautiful.

Someone already noted this in the Twitter thread, but the violet Huna is also interesting because Maku was the only McToran to not feature a unique color. Was TLG considering a violet and medium blue Maku and produced this prototype as a result?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Letagi said:

Those prototypes are amazing. The yellow Ruru is the first I've seen without external codes; as far as I know the two previous ones both look like this. Looking forward to hearing more details about these.

@tourmalinexNice find on the mismould!

Its not apart of my collect right now, some of the mismould in this seller collection have sold for a lot.

2 hours ago, Letagi said:

In other news, always a fun day when you get to add yourself to an owners list. 🙂

Congrats on finding one! Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what country the seller/trader found it in? I noticed a trend when I was hunting for mine and am curious if the one you acquired follows it.

17 hours ago, Darknut said:

Congrats on finding one! Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what country the seller/trader found it in? I noticed a trend when I was hunting for mine and am curious if the one you acquired follows it.

The seller lives in Denmark and says he got it from Lego headquarters in Billund many years ago. Most of these pieces seem to come from Scandinavia.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Letagi said:

The seller lives in Denmark and says he got it from Lego headquarters in Billund many years ago. Most of these pieces seem to come from Scandinavia.

Yeah that is the exact trend I was seeing too. I got mine from someone in Sweden, and the couple I saw pop up over the years that I missed were in Norway and Sweden, with one or two in Denmark. Thanks for the info and congrats again on the find!

• 2 weeks later...

Full collection of prototype shadow leeches! Top row, from left to right, a 3D print early design, an orange test print (to test the part mold) and the rest on this row are sparkly leeches (I believe there’s a chance they were meant to be the crystalline leeches Mutran was experimenting with). There are 4 early designs, 3 test molds, and 53 crystallines. Row two are Binkmeisters, however there were notably no public images online of the dark-bluish gray/red leeches (pictured third and second to last). There’s no solid numbers on the Binkmeisters, but yellow is definitely the most common, and there are at least 4 of each Binkmeister leech, bare minimum. Row three is waiting on the official colors and a misprint to come in which will be shown over on my thread. Last rows show every tridax pod (bar a prototype trans yellow one which I believe is one of a kind, accompanying a prototype Vamprah figure). From left to right we have a 3D  print early design, a darker orange prototype pod, a normal pod, and von nebula’s.

Edited by Tohunga Premium
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Tohunga Premium said:

Full collection of prototype shadow leeches! Top row, from left to right, a 3D print early design, an orange test print (to test the part mold) and the rest on this row are sparkly leeches (I believe there’s a chance they were meant to be the crystalline leeches Mutran was experimenting with). There are 4 early designs, 3 test molds, and 53 crystallines. Row two are Binkmeisters, however there were notably no public images online of the dark-bluish gray/red leeches (pictured third and second to last). There’s no solid numbers on the Binkmeisters, but yellow is definitely the most common, and there are at least 4 of each Binkmeister leech, bare minimum. Row three is waiting on the official colors and a misprint to come in which will be shown over on my thread. Last rows show every tridax pod (bar a prototype trans yellow one which I believe is one of a kind, accompanying a prototype Vamprah figure). From left to right we have a 3D  print early design, a darker orange prototype pod, a normal pod, and von nebula’s.

47F307E1-3A99-4193-B9E9-A6D2C49CB016.jpeg

Cool, I have a leech without a fin it came with the Mutran set.

Edited by tourmalinex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Roger C-T said:

So what was that £10 SSKK on Bricklink really then? I know y'all are watching!

Hey Roger, good to see you back on here!

I've actually been meaning to send the seller a message to ask about this. I'll let you guys know if I learn anything. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 10:20 AM, Roger C-T said:

So what was that £10 SSKK on Bricklink really then? I know y'all are watching!

On 3/30/2023 at 10:23 AM, ToaZero said:

Perhaps a mislabeled VMKK?

On 3/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, Letagi said:

Hey Roger, good to see you back on here!

I've actually been meaning to send the seller a message to ask about this. I'll let you guys know if I learn anything. 

This just came across my Youtube Shorts. What are the odds.

image.thumb.png.a53fe767db1862056afb4068d32bdf8f.png

Anyone actually catch this White Huna for sale recently? I double checked my alert settings since I missed it but seems like it may have sold instantly. Still, first one I've seen on Bricklink in like 6 or so years. Hoping it was one of you guys that has been on the hunt for one!

1 hour ago, Darknut said:

Anyone actually catch this White Huna for sale recently? I double checked my alert settings since I missed it but seems like it may have sold instantly. Still, first one I've seen on Bricklink in like 6 or so years. Hoping it was one of you guys that has been on the hunt for one!

It was actually up there for a week or so. BrickLink's notification system is acting up again. I just happened to see it the day after it got posted.

I made an offer for $1000 and the seller seemed open to it, but wanted to wait for a bit and see whether someone would buy it for his asking price. To my astonishment, someone did.

For the record I think $3500 is ridiculous for any mask not made of a precious metal. I recently paid $1100 for a brown Komau which is about equally rare, and that's the upper end of what I think is reasonable. Hopefully this sale doesn't set a new precedent because it will price most collectors out of the market.

Wow, those newly-found prototypes are amazing! Pretty cool to find out about them after all these years. :D

Also, I had no idea that the protodermic Kanohi Nuva were worth so much now - I got a protodermic Kaukau Nuva in a garage sale bulk lot awhile back, and I was surprised when I saw that the current average Bricklink price for one of those is over $100!

17 hours ago, Letagi said:

It was actually up there for a week or so. BrickLink's notification system is acting up again. I just happened to see it the day after it got posted.

I made an offer for $1000 and the seller seemed open to it, but wanted to wait for a bit and see whether someone would buy it for his asking price. To my astonishment, someone did.

For the record I think $3500 is ridiculous for any mask not made of a precious metal. I recently paid $1100 for a brown Komau which is about equally rare, and that's the upper end of what I think is reasonable. Hopefully this sale doesn't set a new precedent because it will price most collectors out of the market.

Nice to know BL alerts are hot garbage. Not exactly surprised.

Mental that it actually sold for that price. Unless it didn't, and someone just wants to make you think it did. Who would just chuck something like that up on BL? Someone who maybe does have one and wants people to think it's worth that much. There's that guy on Insta with 2 of them and 2 Komaus that doesn't reply to DMs.... Conspiracies!

Only thing I'd pay $3500 for is SSKK #69 😂

On 5/26/2023 at 10:29 AM, Letagi said:

Ugh that's what I get for not manually checking just. Still, I'm with you and wouldn't of offered anywhere near that asking price, the 4 figure price tags some masks are asking for right now is just getting out of hand. I guess I can see it for real rare one of a kind prototypes, one offs, and as you mentioned precious metal masks, but there's been over a dozen reported White Huna and Brown Komau so it's wild they go for so much these days. I payed around $700 for my Brown Komau a couple years ago and I though I was overpaying back then, but everything just seems to be going up exponentially these days when it comes to the rare stuff. Really hope the market doesn't continue that way.

15 hours ago, Roger C-T said:

Nice to know BL alerts are hot garbage. Not exactly surprised.

Mental that it actually sold for that price. Unless it didn't, and someone just wants to make you think it did. Who would just chuck something like that up on BL? Someone who maybe does have one and wants people to think it's worth that much. There's that guy on Insta with 2 of them and 2 Komaus that doesn't reply to DMs.... Conspiracies!

Eh I think they just break occasionally like Letagi said, I caught my Brown Komau on Bricklink because of an alert actually so it can help. The few times I've seen stuff priced like that there usually is a note also asking for offers, which is probably what happened (Brown Komau I got that I mentioned above was listed for like $2000 with a similar note but I didn't pay that), but it looks like it may have actually sold for that price. I can't remember if Bricklink records the listed price or the final invoice price when they list that data, if you do PayPal through them it might get the right price, but private PayPal transactions offsite might not record properly. That's the first White Huna I've seen in years though, so it wouldn't totally surprise me if it went for that much.

Ugh yeah I wish that dude with the 2 Hunas and 2 Komaus would respond to messages haha. I messaged them on Reddit when he mentioned them there offering a trade for something of equivalent rarity. They did mention they weren't looking to sell them, but that the trade was interesting and that they would get back to me. They ended up never responding and after a couple reminder pings I just gave up and stopped bothering them.

Edited by Darknut

14 hours ago, Roger C-T said:

I've been wondering about that too. He could have "bought" his own mask to establish a sales record with the intent of relisting it under a different account. I suspect that something similar has happened with other pieces that have exploded in value recently, like the pearl gold Kraahkan and translucent orange Kraata. Gradual price increases are normal but those spikes do not look organic to me. 

Who's the guy with two of each?

10 minutes ago, Letagi said:

I've been wondering about that too. He could have "bought" his own mask to establish a sales record with the intent of relisting it under a different account. I suspect that something similar has happened with other pieces that have exploded in value recently, like the pearl gold Kraahkan and translucent orange Kraata. Gradual price increases are normal but those spikes do not look organic to me. 

May also just be the supply running lower and lower with the exceptionally rare stuff, but the Pearl Gold Kraahkan has definitely been weird to watch blow up.

This is the guy on Instagram with two of each. Pretty sure he's in Scandinavia and found them all in random used lots.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:35 PM, Letagi said:

I am the guy who, last year, bid the TOK up to over 1k after it had previously never sold for anywhere near that price. Afterwards everyone started listing theirs for ~1k. I know it's far from proof, but I'll state for the record that I am overpaid and impatient instead of manipulative. Hadn't seen a single one sold since I started collecting and was worried they'd disappeared forever. 

I'm two cyclone Kraata from the full set and, full warning, I will likely behave equally irresponsibly if someone lists stages 2 & 5. 

20 hours ago, The Archivist said:

I am the guy who, last year, bid the TOK up to over 1k after it had previously never sold for anywhere near that price. Afterwards everyone started listing theirs for ~1k. I know it's far from proof, but I'll state for the record that I am overpaid and impatient instead of manipulative. Hadn't seen a single one sold since I started collecting and was worried they'd disappeared forever. 

I'm two cyclone Kraata from the full set and, full warning, I will likely behave equally irresponsibly if someone lists stages 2 & 5. 

That's good to know, thanks for telling us. In the future, if you (or anyone else reading this) want to buy a part for much more than it normally sells for, I would recommend contacting the seller and making an off-the-books purchase so there isn't a record of the sale (which is how I bought my brown Komau). Most sellers are open to this since it means they don't have to pay fees to eBay or BrickLink. You can still use PayPal G&S which has buyer protection built in, so there is no additional risk to you as a buyer. It would really help the rest of the Bionicle community to avoid inflating the costs of pieces.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Letagi said:

That's good to know, thanks for telling us. In the future, if you (or anyone else reading this) want to buy a part for much more than it normally sells for, I would recommend contacting the seller and making an off-the-books purchase so there isn't a record of the sale (which is how I bought my brown Komau). Most sellers are open to this since it means they don't have to pay fees to eBay or BrickLink. You can still use PayPal G&S which has buyer protection built in, so there is no additional risk to you as a buyer. It would really help the rest of the Bionicle community to avoid inflating the costs of pieces.

If you’re going to sell anything on eBay you need to add a 16% markup on your sale price because of the fee's involved. Seller fees come out to be like 13.26% on eBay.

Sale’s records are now having a massive impact on the sales of Bionicle collectibles at physical locations in my state, three years ago, this was not the case. In my area the stores that sell Bionicle Masks/ Parts are using the highest Brick-link prices possible and a combination of the “Official Rare and Promotional Collectibles Topic”.  

When asked about how they were pricing Protodermic Kanohi Nuva they where selling. I was told they watch the “Bionicle forum” and base prices on what the community is paying and cross reference items with eBay and Brick-link. They did not answer my questions on what they pay people for there items.

Edited by tourmalinex

7 hours ago, Letagi said:

Thats great advice, didn't think of that. However, keep in mind that it's against Ebay's terms of service, and they'll make it hard to do through their chat feature. If you ask "whats your paypal?" or "bioniclebuyer@gmail.com" it will block the message and send you a threatening warning about potentially getting a fine on your Ebay account. Idk if they actually enforce this. I recommend switching off-site as quick as possible, or communicating in pictures with scribbled text so their censors don't catch it. 

EDIT to add more info: If you use Paypal G&S, it charges you a fee - i think 6%. If you use friends and family, there's no fee, but also no buyer protection. 

EDIT EDIT When I bid the TOK up, it was an open auction with no buy-it-now. Not sure the ethics (or even if Ebay will let you) of PMing the guy "hey take the auction down I'll pay you 1k" or whatever. Since, if 1k was an instant-sell, why couldn't I just bid it? But yes I appreciate your point and won't make it harder for ppl to get masks in the future. 

Edited by The Archivist

Y’all, did one of you buy the prototype trans orange shadow leech… for $800?? I have a hard time believing anybody would pay that much, and I am highly suspicious of Set You Up purchasing it himself. Worth noting the one he was selling he bought from bricklink for $70, and that price information is literally available right there in the “new condition” part, so literally who would buy this at this price? The shadow leeches are not sought after at all like masks or kraata, so it actually baffles me.

Edit: he also lies in his description of the item that “to his knowledge” it is one of a kind. He’s already been reached out to by several people including me telling him it’s not, (I literally sent him a picture of my collection), and he never changed the description. So in case one of y’all did buy it I hope you know it’s not one of a kind like he’s trying to play it off as.

A4DE92CF-D985-4D75-A0E5-275775FC197E.png

Edited by Tohunga Premium

23 minutes ago, confused piraka said:

yep it's eBay it was in a random lot. did Any of you guys get it?

Seething lmao I would’ve loved it. I stopped checking eBay awhile ago though because stuff does not pop up often there