Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

If an item was created as a replica of an original Lego piece to be displayed for informational purposes because a real one was not available what would that piece be classified as. If the piece was created as a part of a display?

From Lego

"Thank you for reaching out to us.
In order to get an of acknowledgment of a replica of a set, we would advise you to reach out to the seller that you purchased the set from.
Alas, we're not able to provide that kind of acknowledgment.  If you have any questions, please let us know, and we'll be happy to help you.
We want to make sure we're doing a good job for you, so you’ll always find the link to a four-question survey in our emails. Please tell us how we did today:
Happy Building,
LEGO® Customer Service"

Edited by tourmalinex

14 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

If an item was created as a replica of an original Lego piece to be displayed for informational purposes because a real one was not available what would that piece be classified as. If the piece was created as a part of a display?

In the art world I guess you would call it a reproduction.

In this world I'd just call it fake.

Edited by Roger C-T

Would Lego make a Krana Kal display and put a replica of a metal Krana in it? I have seen other metal Krana called protype metal {Zamac} Krana for sale as well. atlbrick.com just sold a white metal Krana for $2000

Kmetal.thumb.jpg.8a11f3d65532718a31b95c2a3dee63a5.jpg

Edited by tourmalinex
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, tourmalinex said:

Would Lego make a Krana Kal display and put a replica of a metal Krana in it? I have seen other metal Krana called protype metal {Zamac} Krana for sale as well. atlbrick.com just sold a white metal Krana for $2000

Kmetal.thumb.jpg.8a11f3d65532718a31b95c2a3dee63a5.jpg

Can you take some better pictures of this, and do you know for sure if it’s fake, where’d you get it? It looks like a VMKK to me from how shiny it is, but hard to tell since the picture is blurry. A picture of the back too would be helpful, as iirc on VMKK the tip of the anti stud isn’t chromed

39 minutes ago, Tohunga Premium said:

Can you take some better pictures of this, and do you know for sure if it’s fake, where’d you get it? It looks like a VMKK to me from how shiny it is, but hard to tell since the picture is blurry. A picture of the back too would be helpful, as iirc on VMKK the tip of the anti stud isn’t chromed

I only have that one cell phone picture. The story is that the Krana is a displace piece for a Lego display. Its made from metal however its been cleaned. 

12 minutes ago, tourmalinex said:

I only have that one cell phone picture. The story is that the Krana is a displace piece for a Lego display. Its made from metal however its been cleaned. 

I don’t think the white metal clean up to be quite that shiny, I wasn’t able to clean mine up that good personally. The VMKK also came in the Xa, and is a gray plastic coated in some sort of shiny metal, iirc. Also I’m fairly certain that lego uses their own pieces for displays, so it wouldn’t make sense to me for them to be fake, or “reproductions”. I don’t believe they used any of the VMKK, GPKK, WMKK, or SSKK in any displays, since they were chase items with a finite number made. 

WMKK for $2000 is mental. I know most of them by now are squirreled away in the collections of the big collectors from back in the day. How big can this bubble grow! Have I ever mentioned my conspiracy theory that there never were 72 SSKK 😂.

As for the supposed display piece WMKK... it does look very shiny, even compared to brand new ones without 20 years of tarnish like mine. It seems feasible that they could have been on some sort of display, but without the bag and the card I personally don't see any value in it. Plenty of people have made passable metal 'reproductions' over the years. If it was still on the display itself, that would be an interesting piece.

If it was real they ruined it with cleaning and polishing it had a bag but no card.

Update: From Seller.

I am sorry to inform you, that the piece has sold, testing at a pawn shop showed that it was sterling silver with an acid test. The piece had been buffed to almost perfect conditions and was cleaned before with an ultra sonic cleaner.

Edited by tourmalinex

4 minutes ago, tourmalinex said:

I am sorry to inform you, that the piece has sold, testing at a pawn shop showed that it was sterling silver with an acid test. The piece had been buffed to almost perfect conditions and was cleaned before with an ultra sonic cleaner.

At this point I'm pretty sure we've seen more generic un-carded SSKK than we have carded ones. Does lead in to my theory even more 😂.

32 minutes ago, tourmalinex said:

If it was real they ruined it with cleaning and polishing it had a bag but no card.

Update:

What’s the pawn shop name, wanna see bout potentially getting it tbh

21 hours ago, tourmalinex said:

From Lego

"Thank you for reaching out to us.
In order to get an of acknowledgment of a replica of a set, we would advise you to reach out to the seller that you purchased the set from.
Alas, we're not able to provide that kind of acknowledgment.  If you have any questions, please let us know, and we'll be happy to help you.
We want to make sure we're doing a good job for you, so you’ll always find the link to a four-question survey in our emails. Please tell us how we did today:
Happy Building,
LEGO® Customer Service"

Doesn't matter, everyone's gunna call it a European misprint anyway

Also, where'd you/they get it? Feels like the story of how it became knowingly attached to being on an endorsed LEGO display might be the biggest clue to its credibility. 

2 hours ago, Tohunga Premium said:

What’s the pawn shop name, wanna see bout potentially getting it tbh

1 hour ago, The Archivist said:

Doesn't matter, everyone's gunna call it a European misprint anyway

Also, where'd you/they get it? Feels like the story of how it became knowingly attached to being on an endorsed LEGO display might be the biggest clue to its credibility. 

Hi the Krana is in Buffalo, New York. It was tested as sterling silver.

You can go to pawn shops to get stuff tested.

It did not sell at a pawn shop.

Edited by tourmalinex

6 hours ago, SamDrew said:

A PG Vohtarak Shell sold for $371 on eBay, not mine but it’s the first I’ve seen sell in a while and thought it was worth documenting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364251944176?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9DFzNN8iTW6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=alhOdpA_RVi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Do you think that’s low or high or no thoughts just tracking costs lol? Just curious what your thoughts were

9 hours ago, SamDrew said:

A PG Vohtarak Shell sold for $371 on eBay, not mine but it’s the first I’ve seen sell in a while and thought it was worth documenting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364251944176?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9DFzNN8iTW6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=alhOdpA_RVi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That is actually quite reasonable compared with recent sales. I've seen a few go for $600-1000 over the past year which is utterly ridiculous. Maybe Bionicle collectors are tired of getting ripped off...

40 minutes ago, chuckschwa said:

Any lego part released in a retail set, no matter how limited, that is priced over $100, is stupid high

I generally agree with this. The counterargument is that value is determined by supply and demand; if the supply is lower than the demand, then the value will rise to whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay. That argument is used to justify the prices of pieces like the pearl gold Kraahkan and Cloud City Boba Fett minifig. But the fact that there are four PGKs and 37 Boba Fetts on BrickLink right now (and most of them have been sitting there for weeks or months) kind of debunks that. If the demand were really higher than the supply, they would be selling as soon as they are listed.

I could be wrong but I think the secondary Lego market is headed for a big crash. I simply don't see the absurd price inflation that happened over the pandemic being sustainable. Everyone who is willing to overpay for stuff will do so, and then sellers will realize that there is no one left to rip off and they will adjust their prices accordingly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Letagi said:

I could be wrong but I think the secondary Lego market is headed for a big crash. I simply don't see the absurd price inflation that happened over the pandemic being sustainable. Everyone who is willing to overpay for stuff will do so, and then sellers will realize that there is no one left to rip off and they will adjust their prices accordingly.

Man I really hope that's the case, even though luckily I do have most of what I need, it would be nice just in general. My only thought that makes me think it might not happen is how many people are like me in the sense that once we get a part/set for our collection we're probably not selling it...

11 hours ago, chuckschwa said:

Any lego part released in a retail set, no matter how limited, that is priced over $100, is stupid high

Why? I'm against the recent price bubble (won't last, keep scalping, nerds!), and would agree with this logic regarding non-Kanohi. However Bionicle is far from LEGO's first collectible item. The idea of "it shouldn't be that high" has been disproven repeatedly in other non-technic lines, why not bionicle? I work at an engineering firm and, while nobody collects Kanohi, they are all incredibly interested Bionicle prices and the fact that I collect "that toy from their childhood". In cases of MTG, minifigures, Marvel, and other collectibles, the general population's nostalgia and "holy ****** its $800? I used to own one of those when I was a kid!" factor is quite powerful in driving a price upward intangibly. 

5 hours ago, The Archivist said:

Why? I'm against the recent price bubble (won't last, keep scalping, nerds!), and would agree with this logic regarding non-Kanohi. However Bionicle is far from LEGO's first collectible item. The idea of "it shouldn't be that high" has been disproven repeatedly in other non-technic lines, why not bionicle? I work at an engineering firm and, while nobody collects Kanohi, they are all incredibly interested Bionicle prices and the fact that I collect "that toy from their childhood". In cases of MTG, minifigures, Marvel, and other collectibles, the general population's nostalgia and "holy ****** its $800? I used to own one of those when I was a kid!" factor is quite powerful in driving a price upward intangibly. 

Thats why someone shelled out $1250 for mismold mask.

I’m surprised Set You Up isn’t the highest lol, but yeah feels like another case of the piece just isn’t selling often enough to keep a steady price and eventually the only available listings will be 3x, 4x, 10x the ones that have sold previously, then eventually one person who’s either desperate, impatient, dumb, or all 3 will buy one and boom, now that’s what it’s worth 🥲

Just now, Toa Matia said:

I’m surprised Set You Up isn’t the highest lol, but yeah feels like another case of the piece just isn’t selling often enough to keep a steady price and eventually the only available listings will be 3x, 4x, 10x the ones that have sold previously, then eventually one person who’s either desperate, impatient, dumb, or all 3 will buy one and boom, now that’s what it’s worth 🥲

I meant the BROWN komau, not the copper one. Never seen one for sale before. But yeah, it only takes 1 sale. There's one on Ebay for $250, currently the highest price (sold) is $150. Just a few more purchases and it's absurdly priced for years to come 😕

4 hours ago, chuckschwa said:

Someone ought to tell them to move their sale to the correct color. Otherwise the much more common copper color price is gonna go up the wazzoo (not that it isn't already insane)

If you PM them, they email you back and take it off-site. Their store doesn't ship anywhere. 

EDIT: Posting removed

Edited by The Archivist

On 6/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, The Archivist said:

What do you lot make of this?

Interesting, that's the same seller I bought mine from a few months ago. I guess he had more than one.

Copper Komau prices are ridiculous, just a month or two ago they were selling for $100.

4 hours ago, Letagi said:

Interesting, that's the same seller I bought mine from a few months ago. I guess he had more than one.

Copper Komau prices are ridiculous, just a month or two ago they were selling for $100.

Well, good to hear I'm not getting scammed. I bought one from the guy. Then he upped the price to $1500 and left the posting up. I posted it here, then it went down entirely about an hour later. Which, I can only assume, means he had two and sold a second one after he sold to me. Soooo he had three total, I think. 

12 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

Well, good to hear I'm not getting scammed. I bought one from the guy. Then he upped the price to $1500 and left the posting up. I posted it here, then it went down entirely about an hour later. Which, I can only assume, means he had two and sold a second one after he sold to me. Soooo he had three total, I think. 

He told me (or maybe it was in the item description) that he got the Komau from Lego HQ back in the day, so it's plausible that he could have gotten more than one.

Unless he has succeeded in perfecting the art of Lego counterfeiting to a heretofore unprecedented level, the Komau I bought from him is genuine.

13 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

I'm the 2nd buyer, but I had no idea there was a first! I saw the price increase and was confused but this makes sense. I ended up negotiating with him for a private deal so it looks like it didn't mess up the BL copper komau prices lol. Glad to hear Letagi had a good experience with him as well 👍 The same seller posted some interesting items in the Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade group lately...

4 hours ago, ToaZero said:

I'm the 2nd buyer, but I had no idea there was a first! I saw the price increase and was confused but this makes sense. I ended up negotiating with him for a private deal so it looks like it didn't mess up the BL copper komau prices lol. Glad to hear Letagi had a good experience with him as well 👍 The same seller posted some interesting items in the Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade group lately...

Are you allowed to link said group here? Sounds like somewhere I should be.

*punches hole in drywall* lets ****** GOOOOOOO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266307624275?hash=item3e012bdd53:g:UaoAAOSwLXlkk1jS

BionicleUniverse has one for 3.8k on BL but overpriced

I have no idea if it's fake. But only 8 exist and the guy barely knows what he's selling. At your own discretion, please. 

Edited by The Archivist