Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic

Letagi

Things I also own: A prototype green Bohrok, a prototype Tohunga Matoro, and a silver Metru Huna.

I've been meaning to add the silver Great Huna to the list. I've seen at least one other one that was sold on Bricklink. Did yours come from the Bink bag?

-Letagi

Great Silver Matatu's also exist. As far as I know there are only two or three in existence, as opposed to ~12 Silver Great Hunas.

- John

A dozen? Where did they all come from, and where are they all now?

-Letagi

I've never even seen a photo of one anywhere. 

Have a poke around DeeVee's Flickr.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

For £175 I wouldn't bother. I know they're rare and all but pretty superfluous... Although that said, things like prototypes will be all I need soon enough :D

Call me insane, but I wasn't gonna let this one go. I had an opportunity to get a prototype piece a while back, but I lost out on it. 

Hey at least I didn't pay $12,000 for a prototype Darth Vader helmet.  :D

And yes I don't like Teresa either. £120 for noble Kanohi ?!  :o

Edited by Craig B

Well if you're going to get a prototype, the Hau is kind of the Grandaddy of them all so I can certainyl see the appeal. Difficulty with things like prototypes for me is that I like to display my collections and prototypes don't really fit in with anything but other prototypes. Even then the chances of obtaining a full set of protos is tiny (and hugely expensive) and displaying part of a set is worse than displaying none at all imo!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Eh, I don't mind, it's a nice piece in my collection and I like it a lot. I am not going to try to get all the prototypes because I wouldn't be able to get gen 2 sets :P . I think the prototype fits fine. :) But hey, that's just me. 

I can see where he's coming from, having one of everything is much more satisfying.

hTeXGIU.png

If you believe in Mata Nui, anything is possible... :)

MC

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Lol, even that is possible, but only if you believe!

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Give is a strong word... Haha

• Upvote 1

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

I'm actually sat with 2 Toa Mata Nui right now and they both think I should get it...

On a serious note though? Sure not everyone can have a complete collection. The way things are right now noone but MC will EVER have a full collection. There's always a second place though and I'll be happy with just having everything else!

On a serious note though? Sure not everyone can have a complete collection. The way things are right now noone but MC will EVER have a full collection. There's always a second place though and I'll be happy with just having everything else!

Even MC will never have a complete collection, if he counts ultra-rare prototypes and misprints. All the pieces from the Bink bag, for instance, are locked up with collectors who are discouraged from selling or even trading them. So chances are that pieces like the purple Gelu helmets and magenta Tarix helmet will stay with their current owners.

Truth be told, I don't think that all those pieces should be in one person's collection anyways. They started off all together in the Bink bag, and were distributed so that lots of people could appreciate and enjoy them. I think that if they all became part of one collection again, it would go against LEGO's intent in giving them to Black Six in the first place.

-Letagi

• Upvote 1

Even MC will never have a complete collection, if he counts ultra-rare prototypes and misprints. All the pieces from the Bink bag, for instance, are locked up with collectors who are discouraged from selling or even trading them. So chances are that pieces like the purple Gelu helmets and magenta Tarix helmet will stay with their current owners.

Truth be told, I don't think that all those pieces should be in one person's collection anyways. They started off all together in the Bink bag, and were distributed so that lots of people could appreciate and enjoy them. I think that if they all became part of one collection again, it would go against LEGO's intent in giving them to Black Six in the first place.

-Letagi

I completely agree with you there.  I personally am not trying to get EVERYTHING, I've just been very fortunate on multiple occasions where opportunities to obtain some very rare pieces presented themselves.  At this point, I really am content with what I have and would even be fine if I never got a Solid Gold Hau.  That being said though, I do want to continue searching for the remaining 3 GPKK that I'm missing.  I was only 11 when I initially started collecting, so I was satisfied with just the sets since I didn't have the money necessary to hunt down all of the collectibles.  After I turned 21 though, I got a good job and realized that "Hey, Bionicle is over (at least for now).  I can start hunting down all of the Kanohi/Krana/Kraata/Kanoka!" and did so.

- :t::l::h:

-Letagi

Having everything but prototypes and misprints on the other hand must still be pretty satisfying though. Hypothetically, would that additionally include commercially released misprints? (and if so, does the Gold Rahkshi Kraata count?)

Also, I assume there weren't any other prototypes accountable here that varied wildly from any released set such as the Sand Tarakava, right? Someone did a recreation of that, also.

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

-Letagi

I agree with this completely. I think it would be better for more people to have a chance to get 1 or 2 prototypes rather than all of them owned by one person. It would allow smaller collectors to have a chance of having a prototype and other rare parts. I only have one prototype and I'm fine with that. I don't care for owning the PA or GH, but I congratulate MC for being able to get past that huge milestone.

And besides, when you have everything there is no more excitement of getting new collectibles off Bricklink.  :P

-Letagi

I agree with this completely. I think it would be better for more people to have a chance to get 1 or 2 prototypes rather than all of them owned by one person. It would allow smaller collectors to have a chance of having a prototype and other rare parts. I only have one prototype and I'm fine with that. I don't care for owning the PA or GH, but I congratulate MC for being able to get past that huge milestone.

And besides, when you have everything there is no more excitement of getting new collectibles off Bricklink.  :P

Nothing beats the excitement of new Bionicle stuff. I could not stop jumping about when I bought both my VMKK. I was soooo impatient for them to arrive :)

hTeXGIU.png

I completely agree with you there.  I personally am not trying to get EVERYTHING, I've just been very fortunate on multiple occasions where opportunities to obtain some very rare pieces presented themselves.  At this point, I really am content with what I have and would even be fine if I never got a Solid Gold Hau.  That being said though, I do want to continue searching for the remaining 3 GPKK that I'm missing.  I was only 11 when I initially started collecting, so I was satisfied with just the sets since I didn't have the money necessary to hunt down all of the collectibles.  After I turned 21 though, I got a good job and realized that "Hey, Bionicle is over (at least for now).  I can start hunting down all of the Kanohi/Krana/Kraata/Kanoka!" and did so.

- :t: :l: :h:

Collecting is totally cool. That's where all the fun is! I'd love to have more rare pieces, but I'm also pretty happy with where I am and wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get any more.

Having everything but prototypes and misprints on the other hand must still be pretty satisfying though. Hypothetically, would that additionally include commercially released misprints? (and if so, does the Gold Rahkshi Kraata count?)

Also, I assume there weren't any other prototypes accountable here that varied wildly from any released set such as the Sand Tarakava, right? Someone did a recreation of that, also.

It's difficult to say what counts as commercially available. Pieces like the gold Kraata, the 14 European misprints, and the marbled red/clear Hau Nuva were mistakenly included in sets and collectible packs, so they were commercially available, but not intentionally. I don't think there's really a definition of "complete collection"

Also, I guess there was the Toa Tuyet set. Supposedly LEGO made just one of those and it's in a vault at LEGO HQ somewhere. But I can't think of any others.

Exactly. I find that you appreciate special things more when you have fewer of them. But I totally get MC's wish to complete his collection.

Nothing beats the excitement of new Bionicle stuff. I could not stop jumping about when I bought both my VMKK. I was soooo impatient for them to arrive :)

This is exactly why I wouldn't want to have everything even if I had the chance. They're called collectibles for a reason; if there were nothing left to collect, the entire experience would lose most of its meaning for me.

-Letagi

I'd be extremely happy to have anything even close to a VMKK or a Prototype.

There is a man sitting here who would be happy to shoot you for a third VMKK.

Lol jk :)

Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png

He's totally not joking btw :P

I think there are different 'levels' of collecting and certainly different types of collectors. I have a great deal of fun building and improving on my collection but I'm acutely aware of the fact that one day I'll essentially be finished with that aspect of the hobby.

That won't stop my enjoyment of Bionicle though. I'll get to look at all the neat stuff I've gathered together every single day, that's why I put the extra time and money into things like my mask displays!

For me I'm counting everything standard and rare (like euro misprints, copper masks, TOK, MEK...) But the rarer stuff I divide into two further groups. Super rare includes things like VMKK, SSKK and such and one day I hope to have all of these in my collection. There are also the unobtainables like the Sand Tarakava, Platinum Avohkii and I also have things like the GPKK and Gold Hau in here but those are a bit of a grey area!

End of the day every one of us is a little different, I think I'm one of the crazy ones but I've enjoyed every moment of it so far and will do for years to come!

- :t: :l: :h:

Collecting is totally cool. That's where all the fun is! I'd love to have more rare pieces, but I'm also pretty happy with where I am and wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get any more.

It's difficult to say what counts as commercially available. Pieces like the gold Kraata, the 14 European misprints, and the marbled red/clear Hau Nuva were mistakenly included in sets and collectible packs, so they were commercially available, but not intentionally. I don't think there's really a definition of "complete collection"

Also, I guess there was the Toa Tuyet set. Supposedly LEGO made just one of those and it's in a vault at LEGO HQ somewhere. But I can't think of any others.

Yeah, alright! I'm personally wondering if getting all the sets would be feasible.

Wow, I didn't know that. Where'd you get that information from? I'm now real curious. Sounds a bit sketchy that they produced a single set to themselves like that, unless it was some kind of prototype.

Of course, there are a lot of prototype models never made into sets. One example is the Matoran Sphere Vehicle (seen in BIONICLE 2 special features). Unfortunately, I've also heard prototypes, especially full models, are usually destroyed, recycled or thrown away at some point; it would take just so much physical space at LEGO to store all of the various prototypes (not including the multiple made for a single set or the ones not made into sets at all) that they don't really have a use for, and they can't give them away or sell them (usually) because of legal reasons for them not attaining to quality standards, as well as to keep them from reaching competitors' hands. Not sure if that goes for this set, but it's something to consider.

I don't know if there's anything going against the possibility that they took photos of the prototypes while they still existed though (perhaps someone here could confirm or deconfirm that?), so I certainly hope they did. Also, it'd be cool to see if someone did get pictures of this set, if they could recreate it ala Sand Tarakava.

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

He's totally not joking btw :P

I think there are different 'levels' of collecting and certainly different types of collectors. I have a great deal of fun building and improving on my collection but I'm acutely aware of the fact that one day I'll essentially be finished with that aspect of the hobby.

That won't stop my enjoyment of Bionicle though. I'll get to look at all the neat stuff I've gathered together every single day, that's why I put the extra time and money into things like my mask displays!

For me I'm counting everything standard and rare (like euro misprints, copper masks, TOK, MEK...) But the rarer stuff I divide into two further groups. Super rare includes things like VMKK, SSKK and such and one day I hope to have all of these in my collection. There are also the unobtainables like the Sand Tarakava, Platinum Avohkii and I also have things like the GPKK and Gold Hau in here but those are a bit of a grey area!

End of the day every one of us is a little different, I think I'm one of the crazy ones but I've enjoyed every moment of it so far and will do for years to come!

I will be pleased when my appetite for VMKK is sated. Then a new grail shall arise.

hTeXGIU.png

Yeah, alright! I'm personally wondering if getting all the sets would be feasible.

Wow, I didn't know that. Where'd you get that information from? I'm now real curious. Sounds a bit sketchy that they produced a single set to themselves like that, unless it was some kind of prototype.

Of course, there are a lot of prototype models never made into sets. One example is the Matoran Sphere Vehicle (seen in BIONICLE 2 special features). Unfortunately, I've also heard prototypes, especially full models, are usually destroyed, recycled or thrown away at some point; it would take just so much physical space at LEGO to store all of the various prototypes (not including the multiple made for a single set or the ones not made into sets at all) that they don't really have a use for, and they can't give them away or sell them (usually) because of legal reasons for them not attaining to quality standards, as well as to keep them from reaching competitors' hands. Not sure if that goes for this set, but it's something to consider.

I don't know if there's anything going against the possibility that they took photos of the prototypes while they still existed though (perhaps someone here could confirm or deconfirm that?), so I certainly hope they did. Also, it'd be cool to see if someone did get pictures of this set, if they could recreate it ala Sand Tarakava.

I've never seen that special feature video - very cool! I'm not sure where I heard about the Toa Tuyet prototype. I read it at least twice. I guess it was going to be a set, but the plans were cancelled.

Here are some other folders of prototypes that I forgot to link to yesterday. Most of them are prototypes for sets that were released, but there might be a few like the Tuyet and Sand Tarakava sets. I haven't looked through the folders all that thoroughly. The last folder is pre-2001 prototypes, possibly even predating the design of the Vahi.

I will be pleased when my appetite for VMKK is sated. Then a new grail shall arise.

I doubt that you will be. There's always more to collect.

-Letagi

I've never seen that special feature video - very cool! I'm not sure where I heard about the Toa Tuyet prototype. I read it at least twice. I guess it was going to be a set, but the plans were cancelled.

Here are some other folders of prototypes that I forgot to link to yesterday. Most of them are prototypes for sets that were released, but there might be a few like the Tuyet and Sand Tarakava sets. I haven't looked through the folders all that thoroughly. The last folder is pre-2001 prototypes, possibly even predating the design of the Vahi.

I doubt that you will be. There's always more to collect.

-Letagi

Wow. Never seen half of that stuff before, thanks for posting them :) I finally got to see those prototype Manas up close, and I can see that the mysterious masks worn by one of them were two trans-blue noble Raus. Sadly no Tuyet though.

hTeXGIU.png

Oh yeah, good catch. So based on that picture, there should be at least two trans-blue Noble Rau floating around. Neat.

-Letagi

Unless they were destroyed as mentioned before for prototypes.

Oh yeah, good catch. So based on that picture, there should be at least two trans-blue Noble Rau floating around. Neat.

-Letagi

Unless they were destroyed as mentioned before for prototypes.

Definitely possible, and unfortunate if so.

Also, neat fact about misprints and mismoulds: only 18 out of every million LEGO pieces are considered defective. And presumably, only a tiny fraction of those 18 slip through the cracks and end up in sets. So, misprints are really, really uncommon, statistically speaking.

-Letagi

I just noticed my name on the list of owners of a prototype Mata mask.  :)

*mumbles jealously*

Why don't you just open a topic on buy/sell/trade to see if anyone has one? Maybe you'll find somebody who wants to trade. 

Because I can't afford to spend close to $1000 on a mask. That one you got on eBay was cheap.

Prototypes like Craig's aren't as rare as things like the White Huna, and the White Huna only just manages the $1000 price. Besides, what's the harm in asking? You don't ask, you don't get. Simple as.

Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png