Jump to content

Official Rare & Promotional Collectibles Topic


Letagi

Recommended Posts

I don't think they should be called misprints as they are molded items, not printed ones, I think they should be called Molding-Errors. However if I'm making a YouTube video in the future, I'll have to call them that in the thumbnail or title to get people to click through.

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About green Nuva parts - chuckschwa is right. They are test molds. They are made in colors like green, so it is easy to see any defects. I wouldn't call them prototypes since they are not used as part of design process but they are used to check if mold works correctly. Usually such parts come from Lego employees or are sold by people who suppose to take them away to utilization. Those green Nuva weapons are available on market for last 13 years or so. I have them as well:

sxfvPIq.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mask Hunter Lewa said:

About green Nuva parts - chuckschwa is right. They are test molds. They are made in colors like green, so it is easy to see any defects. I wouldn't call them prototypes since they are not used as part of design process but they are used to check if mold works correctly. Usually such parts come from Lego employees or are sold by people who suppose to take them away to utilization. Those green Nuva weapons are available on market for last 13 years or so. I have them as well:

sxfvPIq.jpg

Them being test molds makes much more sense to me than prototypes. Out of curiosity, what about them being green makes it easier to see defects?

 

I was also curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of getting one of these from a lego employeee, but it sounds like everyone mostly just found these in random lots or bought these from someone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info on these pieces, guys. I had forgotten about that green Takua and Pewku prototype. Wonder why no one seems to have Onua's weapons.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, Nektann said:

I don't think they should be called misprints as they are molded items, not printed ones, I think they should be called Molding-Errors. However if I'm making a YouTube video in the future, I'll have to call them that in the thumbnail or title to get people to click through.

The term mismould is already used to refer to pieces that have physical deformities, so pieces that are the wrong colour are called misprints. It's not the perfect word since, as you say, they aren't actually printed.

And yeah, the 2001 European "misprints" are almost certainly not real misprints.

-L

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

It's pretty strange to hear about the supposed variety pack that contained the White Huna/Brown Komau that no one has any images for. I don't know if that happens in this day and age of cataloguing LEGO sets besides the alt colours for the brick built Kanohi set and weird releases like those Korean Piraka multipacks. It's like lost media or something, I wonder if those kind of releases could be their own coveted rarities, or at least in getting pictures of them (the Korean Piraka combiner that only has one side of instructions seen in particular, it's crazy).

Also, I'm kinda swayed on this story of the Sand Tarakava just being a prototype of the Tarakava made in a different colour than the final set (much like the recent red/yellow Nui-Rama prototypes found and those Manas ones with the trans-blue Kanohi) rather than a scrapped set of its own. I don't know, why would you design a big set around specifically 2 Rahi that mostly just punch each other and then make a budget option where the 2-player appeal of it is removed?
https://emilyinternet.zone/weblog/2020-7-23.html

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TommyG said:

It's pretty strange to hear about the supposed variety pack that contained the White Huna/Brown Komau that no one has any images for. I don't know if that happens in this day and age of cataloguing LEGO sets besides the alt colours for the brick built Kanohi set and weird releases like those Korean Piraka multipacks. It's like lost media or something, I wonder if those kind of releases could be their own coveted rarities, or at least in getting pictures of them (the Korean Piraka combiner that only has one side of instructions seen in particular, it's crazy).

Also, I'm kinda swayed on this story of the Sand Tarakava just being a prototype of the Tarakava made in a different colour than the final set (much like the recent red/yellow Nui-Rama prototypes found and those Manas ones with the trans-blue Kanohi) rather than a scrapped set of its own. I don't know, why would you design a big set around specifically 2 Rahi that mostly just punch each other and then make a budget option where the 2-player appeal of it is removed?
https://emilyinternet.zone/weblog/2020-7-23.html

I think it's plausible that there was some kind of product that included those masks, but which wasn't widely available or even documented. There's plenty of precedent: along with the Korean Piraka, there were also the Korean Bohrok Va polybags (see here), the Lithuanian Tohunga, and the Japanese Kabaya Turaga, Bohrok Va, and 2003 Matoran. I've heard that the white Huna and brown Komau tend to show up in old collections mostly in Sweden, so it's entirely possible that there was a Swedish exclusive that included them. On a related note, I've always suspected that these pieces are not as few in number as we tend to think; if in fact the white Huna and brown Komau came in a limited retail product, then there are probably dozens or even hundreds of them out there, but the majority of them are tucked away and forgotten in people's childhood collections. I've seen way more white Huna than Lithuanian Tohunga, and presumably there were at least hundreds of units of the latter produced. It's not sensible to produce a retail product unless you're making it in large enough quantities to satisfy the market you're aiming for. Of course, the limited retail theory could be false and they might really be rare prototypes.

Thanks for the blog post on the Sand Tarakava, I hadn't come across that before. It makes way more sense that it was a prototype for the regular Tarakava.

-L

Edited by Letagi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 5:57 AM, Mask Hunter Lewa said:

About green Nuva parts - chuckschwa is right. They are test molds. They are made in colors like green, so it is easy to see any defects. I wouldn't call them prototypes since they are not used as part of design process but they are used to check if mold works correctly. Usually such parts come from Lego employees or are sold by people who suppose to take them away to utilization. Those green Nuva weapons are available on market for last 13 years or so. I have them as well:

sxfvPIq.jpg

BLACK NUVA LEGS!!!!!!   Now those I would die to try and find someone wanting to sell them.

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

 http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Has this been documented yet? I was going through my kanoka disks, and found vakama's disk with another layer of printing rotated 90 degrees off.

Only visible under a strong light, or on a screen but pretty cool regardless.

PXL_20220209_190354975.thumb.jpg.8af7404d61f7f22c00f9edf4bf321729.jpg

:k::r::a::a::t::a:

 

 

signatureright.gif.c6db455f4734531a3b9e273d31fe8291.gifsignatureleft.gif.78e1349658abcffe8173cb4f9b88df9c.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some more data for everyone:

  • I purchased a Black Prototype Pakari in 2016 for $500 from fifi2004 on BrickLink.
  • I have a mismold gold Pakari with the top left "gill" sticking out (but I don't have good pictures of it at the moment). I got it from BrickLink on accident.
  • I got super lucky and spied a 5-hole Kraahkan in a lot of 43 random masks ($50) on EBay (2016). Someone offered me $200 plus a pearl gold Kraahkan for it, but I didn't sell it.
  • I got a pearl gold Kraahkan from the a Russian EBay seller by purchasing the Tower of Toa set for $55 (in 2016).

None of these are for sale, so please don't ask.

 

gallery_114868_370_4342.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See a new notification here reminded me, I haven't posted my prototypes I acquired this year... Two of them aren't actually mine, the launcher and the skrall blade, those are my girlfriend's but eventually when we move in together our collections will combine and they'll be reunited lol.

20220312_180527.thumb.jpg.bd7e1e3e266c0f69ee8cc7d089b372ab.jpg

Pictured are a rough design prototype of the midak skyblaster, a skrall blade with a medium blue looking decorational part in the center, a 2007-style glow in the dark inika chestplate (Jaller/Kongu/Hahli's one), yellow shadow leech, and a weirdly coloured thornax fruit. The thornax is some sort of foggy but translucentish white with black bits, including the thorns and one circular area on one side, and all the black is rubber. None are for sale ever just to be clear but I thought it's nice to add to the known prototypes!! That list is already tantalizing, let's make it even better haha. I can take better pictures of my three prototypes if needed, and can ask the same of my girlfriend

  • Like 2
I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, toa trisabelle said:

See a new notification here reminded me, I haven't posted my prototypes I acquired this year... Two of them aren't actually mine, the launcher and the skrall blade, those are my girlfriend's but eventually when we move in together our collections will combine and they'll be reunited lol.

20220312_180527.thumb.jpg.bd7e1e3e266c0f69ee8cc7d089b372ab.jpg

Pictured are a rough design prototype of the midak skyblaster, a skrall blade with a medium blue looking decorational part in the center, a 2007-style glow in the dark inika chestplate (Jaller/Kongu/Hahli's one), yellow shadow leech, and a weirdly coloured thornax fruit. The thornax is some sort of foggy but translucentish white with black bits, including the thorns and one circular area on one side, and all the black is rubber. None are for sale ever just to be clear but I thought it's nice to add to the known prototypes!! That list is already tantalizing, let's make it even better haha. I can take better pictures of my three prototypes if needed, and can ask the same of my girlfriend

******, where do you even find stuff like this? Those are awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, InconspicuousShark said:

******, where do you even find stuff like this? Those are awesome.

I wish I could say magic haha. I had to drive (or more accurately, have my girlfriend drive) 2.5 hours both ways to go get em, but it was the same source as most of the prototypes on the list.

I discovered the Transblue G2 KauKau!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, InkAlchemist1994 said:

Some more data for everyone:

  • I purchased a Black Prototype Pakari in 2016 for $500 from fifi2004 on BrickLink.
  • I have a mismold gold Pakari with the top left "gill" sticking out (but I don't have good pictures of it at the moment). I got it from BrickLink on accident.
  • I got super lucky and spied a 5-hole Kraahkan in a lot of 43 random masks ($50) on EBay (2016). Someone offered me $200 plus a pearl gold Kraahkan for it, but I didn't sell it.
  • I got a pearl gold Kraahkan from the a Russian EBay seller by purchasing the Tower of Toa set for $55 (in 2016).

None of these are for sale, so please don't ask.

 

I also have a Pakari with a protuberance in the cheek/gill area. Does yours look like this too?  https://imgur.com/a/y4Ow0ma

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Purplepox said:

I do think in this case it's a genuine misprint. 

Yeah, mine has the same exact gill/cheek deformity.

Just a note on terminology: A "misprint" is a mask printed in the wrong color; a "mismold" is a mask like this that was molded improperly.

gallery_114868_370_4342.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, InkAlchemist1994 said:

Yeah, mine has the same exact gill/cheek deformity.

Just a note on terminology: A "misprint" is a mask printed in the wrong color; a "mismold" is a mask like this that was molded improperly.

Noted! Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading the first page for the first time in forever, but the green Movie Mask of Shadows is real, I've seen it in person and it was given to the person who posted it on social media by Bink.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2022 at 9:19 PM, Kraata Kink said:

Has this been documented yet? I was going through my kanoka disks, and found vakama's disk with another layer of printing rotated 90 degrees off.

Only visible under a strong light, or on a screen but pretty cool regardless.

PXL_20220209_190354975.thumb.jpg.8af7404d61f7f22c00f9edf4bf321729.jpg

I have a Rock Slizer (Granite Throwbot) disk with a similar quasi-print of a different type underneath the top layer. I believe this must've happened occasionally with pad-printed LEGO pieces and I don't think it's ever been of particular interest to anyone.

In fact it's quite astounding that there are no actual, literal misprints with these types of pieces, ever. Every printed LEGO piece I've ever seen has always had the right image on it.

$50 OR MORE FOR THIS CD! C4oo0TM.png $50 OR MORE FOR THIS CD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...