Should the Ruru have X-Ray Vision?

Should the Ruru have X-Ray Vision?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should the Kanohi Ruru, the Mask of Night Vision, have the power of X-Ray Vision as well? That is basically the question I'm asking my fellow members in this topic.

Granted, BS01 does say that the Ruru has 'a small degree of X-Ray Vision,' so it doesn't have the strongest x-ray vision. But since a Great Mask of X-Ray Vision already exists, does anyone else see a need for the Ruru to have this power as well, even though it is not as strong? 

I personally don't think it should have it, and that its other powers (granting the user normal night vision and casting a beam of light for the user and others to see) are enough for it. It also doesn't really make sence to me that a Kanohi that helps its user see in the dark can also let him/her see through walls as well. It kind of feels like the power was just given to the Mask at the last minute for some unknown reason. But that is just my opinion. What do you all say? 

P.S. Please note that I'm not saying that this isn't a useful power for the Ruru, because it is. I'm just simply asking if you think it should have this power at all. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

No, because then there would be no need for Akaku. And I prefer Akaku over Ruru.

EDIT: I do think there's no reason to exist a Kanohi Volitak and a Kanohi Huna at the same universe, tho. They are basically the same mask.

EDIT²: A Zatth is pretty useless too since there's a Mask of Rahi Control.

Edited by HoloTheWise

Definitely no. The there is or reason for the great ruru to have that power. Even just glowing brightly isn't really 'night vision' at all.

EDIT: I do think there's no reason to exist a Kanohi Volitak and a Kanohi Huna at the same universe, tho. They are basically the same mask.

The Hunan grants invisibility but doesn't mask the bearers effect on the environment (shadows, footsteps, etc.).

The Volitak acts more like a 'perseption filter', the bearer is only semi transparent and their effects on the environment are masked.

No, though I voted for the last option.

There were actually a lot of weird "bonus" mask powers among the Toa Metru, which I assume was because the story team had never dealt with the powers of Noble vs. Great Kanohi. I always hated that the Mahiki allowed for straight-up shapeshifting—that's way overpowered. 

• Upvote 1

Actually, it makes sense, since the Akaku is the Mask of Vision, technically, meaning it allows for multiple forms of altered vision-based abilities, with X-Ray being the primary one.

The Ruru should have some for this reason: You're underground, and you want to see through a rock wall into a dark tunnel. You can't access both powers at once, so the Great version of the Ruru lets you see through the wall and lets you perceive what's behind it.

Northmarch covered the Huna/Volitak thing, but let me comment on the Zatth/Mask of Rahi Control: The Zatth lets you summon creature, but you have no control over what kind of creature it is, nor do you have any authority over it's actions once summoned. The MoRC lets you control the actions of a specific creature from the general vicinity selected by the user.

All masks are useful for a variety of different purposes, even if some of their powers have similar traits. Are you saying certain superheroes shouldn't have the same powers? Both Superman and Wonder Woman can fly, right? Entirely different people, same power. But if Wonder Woman is the only one around in a moment of need, are you gonna tell her to go away because Superman can fly, too? No. You use what's on hand because it's exactly what you need.

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The Hunan grants invisibility but doesn't mask the bearers effect on the environment (shadows, footsteps, etc.).

The Volitak acts more like a 'perseption filter', the bearer is only semi transparent and their effects on the environment are masked.

Although they have different powers, I could totally see them combined into only one mask without too much prejudice. Their functions are pretty similar.

Northmarch covered the Huna/Volitak thing, but let me comment on the Zatth/Mask of Rahi Control: The Zatth lets you summon creature, but you have no control over what kind of creature it is, nor do you have any authority over it's actions once summoned. The MoRC lets you control the actions of a specific creature from the general vicinity selected by the user.

All masks are useful for a variety of different purposes, even if some of their powers have similar traits. Are you saying certain superheroes shouldn't have the same powers? Both Superman and Wonder Woman can fly, right? Entirely different people, same power. But if Wonder Woman is the only one around in a moment of need, are you gonna tell her to go away because Superman can fly, too? No. You use what's on hand because it's exactly what you need.

But which mask do you think is better ? Do you think Kongu would prefer using a Zatth or a MORC when he summoned that Ancient Sea Behemoth ? It's way better having creatures under your control; Summoning them could sure help, but could also put your life in danger, since the mask has no control over them, and you can't choose what Rahi/Creature you will summon. On the other hand, a MORC user has the power to choose not only one, but multiple Rahi at once, AND control them. The Zatth is basically a worse version of the MORC.

But which mask do you think is better ? Do you think Kongu would prefer using a Zatth or a MORC when he summoned that Ancient Sea Behemoth ? It's way better having creatures under your control; Summoning them could sure help, but could also put your life in danger, since the mask has no control over them, and you can't choose what Rahi/Creature you will summon. On the other hand, a MORC user has the power to choose not only one, but multiple Rahi at once, AND control them. The Zatth is basically a worse version of the MORC.

The Zatth does the thinking for you. It summoned something that was territorial enough to make it want to fight off the giant Venom Eel, giving the Mahri time to escape. It's like this: The mask summons something perfect for the situation, then you can leave it alone and focus on other things. The MoRC forces you to keep your attention on the creature to keep it from causing more harm than good. 

I think both have their uses, but it depends on the situation.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Voted no. The power of x-ray vision was added to the Ruru just because of that one scene in the movie where Whenua looks for the Matoran. They could have executed that scene differently, and thus eliminated the need for adding another power for the Ruru.

I was wondering for a moment when it was ever shown that it has X-Ray vision... and then I remembered the movie. IMO it's like they were trying to combine some of the Nuva's mask powers with the Metru at that point. Personally, night vision has absolutely no need for x-ray vision; those are two distinct types of vision, and the ability to see in the dark is not the same as the ability to see through things. So I'm just going to consider that part of the movie non-canon in my head. (And also wasn't the Great Ruru just an Avohkii in that it would light up, just without all the nonsense with the seventh Toa?) (Wait, don't answer that, I know there are nitpicky powers for the Avohkii besides just light, but that point still stands.)

:music:

I said no. If you think about it, the large majority of earlier masks were suited for the character's environment or role in the society, such as:

Kopaka: gotta see through them blizzards

Onua: gotta move them rocks

Gali: do I even need to explain?

Pohatu: gotta go fast across the desert

Tahu: gotta not die from lava

Lewa: pretty self-explanatory

And with the Turaga, having interacted with the island far longer than the Toa, as well as being in leadership positions, their mask powers make sense, despite easily lending themselves to a horrifying, dystopian Orwellian nightmare where everything we're told is a lie orchestrated by evil Turaga (except for Whenua, he has a bro-tier mask power):

Whenua: leader of an underground village, best be seeing in the dark

Nokama: leader of a watery village, gotta be telling those sharks not to eat Matoran (or does she?)

Vakama: Big Brother Vakama is watching you

Nuju: Gotta get those avalanches off of people (or restrain dissidents for punishment)

Onewa: Mind Control. 'Nuff said.

Matau: Can easily impersonate "missing" citizens

Headcanon/fanfiction territory aside, if a Ruru wearer really needed to see through something, he could easily either get an Akaku wearer to help him, or maybe ask Vakama the mask maker to help.

Actually, it makes sense, since the Akaku is the Mask of Vision, technically, meaning it allows for multiple forms of altered vision-based abilities, with X-Ray being the primary one.

I don't know what you're on about.  BS01 says nothing about the Akaku having any powers other than X-Ray Vision (aside from seemingly optional telescopic lens attachments). It is the Mask of X-Ray Vision for a reason. Mask of Vision is simply an alternate and very general name that implies nothing about its powers.

No, though I voted for the last option.

There were actually a lot of weird "bonus" mask powers among the Toa Metru, which I assume was because the story team had never dealt with the powers of Noble vs. Great Kanohi. I always hated that the Mahiki allowed for straight-up shapeshifting—that's way overpowered. 

I feel like the Mahiki wouldn't have any bearing on strength, speed, abilities, etc.Maybe not even weight or mass. Just exactly what it says on the tin: Shapeshifting. If it did affect those things, then yes, I'd agree with you about it being overpowered.

Comics coming eventually: The Bionicles Try to Run A House

Upcoming MOCs: Sir Lesovikk, New Tokotoru.

Current MOCs: ROTF Ravage.

Dead MOCs: The Tokotoru, this fire monster, this turtle.

This topic. Love it and cherish it. Do it for the lulz.

Actually, yes. A mask that merely helps you see in the dark isn't really a great choice for a Toa.

But it was "given too much power" in the movie version. It should have been more like sensing what's in shadows or something IMO.

So... I voted "yes" as it was the closest option to this. :P

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Only the Great Ruru has X-Ray Vision (in the form of a beam of light! and you can blind your enemies with it too!), the Noble Ruru is just Night Vision.   
Someone already post that.

I vote no, cause I don't like twins powers, and only for that reason (angry look to a Kadin) .
But in this world you have matchsticks and lighters...Two tools for the same purpose.

Velika is Love. Velika is Life. Velika did NOTHING wrong.

Proud fan of Rebecca Black, BabyMetal and Protector Of Fire's Son.

I think limited x-ray vision makes more sense than being able to light the path of others, honestly. After all, seeing in total dark requires either a supernatural ability to sense the environment without light, or the ability to project and see light outside the visible spectrum.

In the first case, if the wearer can see even without light reaching their eyes, why would a barrier prevent them from seeing what's on the other side? For all we know all physical objects could be "transparent" to this mystical ability. Yet it's not overlapping the Akaku, because it still doesn't allow you to see normal light through things.

Or for the more scientific option, it's possible that the Ruru emits and recieves nonvisible wavelengths of radiation. This would actually explain its entire range of powers: the Noble form can only emit a certain infrared or ultraviolet, while the Great form can also emit and receive visible light and (actual) x-rays. Again, not like the Akaku, for the same reason.

But I admit that unless you put all this thought into it, night vision, illumination and x-ray vision seem like three distinct and unrelated powers.

Also the Mahiki is not Shapeshifting, but Illusion. The Great form just has the added power to project an illusion around the user, making them look and sound like someone else.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Also the Mahiki is not Shapeshifting, but Illusion. The Great form just has the added power to project an illusion around the user, making them look and sound like someone else.

If that were true I wouldn't mind, but per BS01: 

The Kanohi Mahiki is the Mask of Illusion. The Great version allows its user to shapeshift to a limited degree or to cast optical illusions. The user can shapeshift into forms of similar mass and imitate voices, but cannot copy any powers the original has.

Maybe some masks are just duds. I think that combining disks with any number of combinations would lead to some being down right useless, some being legendary, or some being in between. Also there would be many masks with slightly similar powers just rearranged a bit. And I just realized maybe not all kanohi are created equally, there could be varying degrees to their manufacturing, which would lead to some having parts of other kanohi powers. Only some thoughts.

Edited by Kraa-nui
  • Upvote 2

The Kanohi Mahiki is the Mask of Illusion. The Great version allows its user to shapeshift to a limited degree or to cast optical illusions. The user can shapeshift into forms of similar mass and imitate voices, but cannot copy any powers the original has.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Isn't that exactly what I said?

No, because it's not an illusion. It literally allows a user to shift their shape.

I voted "Not Sure" because while I don't think it should be able to see through walls (which has nothing to do with night vision) multiple vision modes aren't a bad idea for a great mask designed to see in the dark. Instead of x-ray vision, it would make sense for the wearer to see the world as if it were illuminated (regular night vision, which it already has) or pick up heat signatures (thermal imaging). A variety of animals utilize one or the other to help navigate dark or underground environments, and militaries use both types depending on what's tactically appropriate. With thermal you could also pick up a heat signature through something if what's obscuring it was thin enough, which is a more logical alternative to straight up (albeit limited) x-ray vision.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire" - Gustav Mahler

I always thought that this was stupid. There is already a mask that does that and unless it is legendary like the Kraahkan or Ignika, or Nuva, masks need to try and stick with a single power. It creates strategic problems/advantages in a story and won't force a cheat to be used.

Same goes to the mask of Fate and mask of Luck. The two powers are almost the same, and it just annoys me.

Others have already made good arguments for the M. of Summoning and M. of Rahi Control, so I shant touch it. Bravo.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Same goes to the mask of Fate and mask of Luck. The two powers are almost the same, and it just annoys me.

There is no Mask of Luck in the Bionicle Universe. Perhaps you are referring to the Mask of Possibilities?

I thought "Mask of Luck" was a fan nickname for the Mask of Fate lol.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I always presumed that the Ruru's power was made of the same properties as the Akaku.

In short, a modification of the x-ray properties to see in the dark.

The side effect of that being that the wearer has a limited amount of x-ray (since thats what its essentially doing in the first place; x-ray-ing the dark).

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

There is no Mask of Luck in the Bionicle Universe. Perhaps you are referring to the Mask of Possibilities?

Ah yes, thank you, that's it. I have been out of touch from Bionicle for a couple of years, though I still made references to Mata Nui and Makuta Teridax though.

One day a friend of mine asked to explain these references, and as I did, a resurgence of interest sparked, leading me back here to discuss the properties of fictious helms. I love life. xD

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

I always thought that this was stupid. There is already a mask that does that and unless it is legendary like the Kraahkan or Ignika, or Nuva, masks need to try and stick with a single power. It creates strategic problems/advantages in a story and won't force a cheat to be used.

Others have already made good arguments for the M. of Summoning and M. of Rahi Control, so I shant touch it. Bravo.

I voted 'no' as well, but I think you're being to harsh on the Akaku here. For starters, the Akaku's x-ray vision is stronger than the Ruru's. But even if we were to assume that the great Akaku is basically a powered down version of the great Ruru, that still doesn't make the Akaku useless. The Toa Mata had no access at all to the great Ruru, so collecting a great Akaku offered a real advantage to them. You say it creates "strategic problems/advantages" in the story, but you can apply that criticism to the concept of a Toa Suva as well: A Toa with both an Akaku and another mask on his Suva is also more powerful than a similar Toa with only an Akaku, so he has a strategic advantage as well. You can extend this to Kanoka too: someone with a level 4 Kanoka has a strategic advantage over someone with a level 2 Kanoka. IMO strategic advantages don't make the story stupid. The reason I voted 'no' is I like to think there is some kind of balance between the Kanohi, that each Kanohi is unique but somehow equal in power to other Kanohi. However, I know there are many more examples of how this is untrue. Still, I like the principle.

I always presumed that the Ruru's power was made of the same properties as the Akaku.

The side effect of that being that the wearer has a limited amount of x-ray (since thats what its essentially doing in the first place; x-ray-ing the dark).

When I first read about the Ruru I thought it worked like night vision goggles, i.e. by intensifying the light that the wearer sees. I guess your headcanon is just as plausible as mine, in the end the only thing we know is that the Ruru allows its wearer to see in the dark.

I voted 'no' as well, but I think you're being to harsh on the Akaku here. For starters, the Akaku's x-ray vision is stronger than the Ruru's. But even if we were to assume that the great Akaku is basically a powered down version of the great Ruru, that still doesn't make the Akaku useless. The Toa Mata had no access at all to the great Ruru, so collecting a great Akaku offered a real advantage to them. You say it creates "strategic problems/advantages" in the story, but you can apply that criticism to the concept of a Toa Suva as well: A Toa with both an Akaku and another mask on his Suva is also more powerful than a similar Toa with only an Akaku, so he has a strategic advantage as well. You can extend this to Kanoka too: someone with a level 4 Kanoka has a strategic advantage over someone with a level 2 Kanoka. IMO strategic advantages don't make the story stupid. The reason I voted 'no' is I like to think there is some kind of balance between the Kanohi, that each Kanohi is unique but somehow equal in power to other Kanohi. However, I know there are many more examples of how this is untrue. Still, I like the principle.

When I first read about the Ruru I thought it worked like night vision goggles, i.e. by intensifying the light that the wearer sees. I guess your headcanon is just as plausible as mine, in the end the only thing we know is that the Ruru allows its wearer to see in the dark.
I am confused, from what I see we are saying the same thing, yet you responded otherwise. I am sorry if I missaid something and I made you go through all of that. I was criticizing the Ruru. Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

What I was trying to say is that the fact that it creates strategic advantages doesn't have to be a problem.  ;)  Not every battle in the BIONICLE universe has to be evenly matched, often they are not. I agree that it would be better if the Ruru did not have x-ray vision, just thought some of your criticism of the status quo wasn't valid. (Also I don't think it's 'stupid', but that's just a matter of opinion :)  )

I can be harsh, but I try to be honest; I am very opinionated. I want there to be strategic advantages and disadvantages, creates some interesting stories, the set rules is one thing I like about Bionicle (among many). Again, I think you are misunderstanding.

EDIT: I realize that this is getting off topic so I do apologize.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I can be harsh, but I try to be honest; I am very opinionated. I want there to be strategic advantages and disadvantages, creates some interesting stories, the set rules is one thing I like about Bionicle (among many). Again, I think you are misunderstanding.

EDIT: I realize that this is getting off topic so I do apologize.

I didn't mean you were rude lol, I just wanted to point out that the Ruru having x-ray vision doesn't have to be a problem. I don't think we're getting off topic, but maybe our discussion is leading nowhere... We kinda seem to be restating our points all the time :)

In my own opinion it would be better to have thermal vision but assuming it's x-ray vision is highly limited like having a range of 20 yards it's not so bad.

Yes, the x-ray vision is indeed limited according to BS01. It doesn't specify how much though, but it is apparently a difference between the Akaku and the Ruru.