Should Mata-Nui be mentioned in the new story?

MeetTheName

I'm just a bit curious, but should Mata-Nui return or be mentioned in some way? I personally am not interested in him having a physical body or presence. Instead I would like the idea that he is simply just a deity that is just mentioned and never seen. What would you guys like to see or not see?

Well, it looks like Mata Nui doesn't in fact have a physical body, presence, or any mentions to his name because he doesn't exist in the new storyline! But I'm fine with his obvious replacement, Ekimu, being present as a physical character who's not trillions of feet tall, as that was always something I wanted to happen in the original storyline but never saw.

~B~

I'd be fine with some mentions, an easter egg or two, but I don't want him to be featured in the story. It's great to remind everyone of the old storyline, but this is a new arc trying to break away from the old. It's got some similarities, but Mata Nui was a major plot element. It would be like trying to make a fan-fiction based on the universe of the Lord of the Rings, but the One Ring is the main plot point. It's already been resolved elsewhere, it doesn't need to be again.

• Upvote 1

Unless they have a really good reason to, I'd rather that Mata Nui not be mentioned in the reboot. The Toa and Makuta are enough beings from the original storyline to be in the new story. I would like to see them developed along with the new characters as well as the Island of Okoto.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

As I think you were getting at: it depends what you mean by Mata Nui. For example: Makuta is back, but he isn't the Makuta of Metru Nui. His job is different. His mask is different. His status in the universe is different. Arguably even his name is different as 'Makuta' before the reboot was a title. So it's all down to how the story unfolds. I'm not against the name being used if there's an appropriate character, location or even object for it to be used on. But it seems as though Ekimu has taken over the main responsibility of Mata Nui's character.

------

The Watchful Guardian

Please check out my Bionicle meets Star Wars animation: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18763-star-wars-meets-bionicle/?p=942227

if they end up mentioning Mata Nui, i'm fine with it, but only if his status is modified to that of, say, an actual deity who has no real connection to the story. rather than turning out to be an artificial god who literally encompasses everything in the universe, he's just kind of there, and serves as an actual religious figure for the Protectors. honestly, though, i don't see him returning at all, and i'm more than okay with that as well.

I won't say I'm totally opposed to it... if they DO bring him in somehow, I'll see how it's done and judge then. But my initial thoughts have been that it's very good to use the lack of Mata Nui to differentiate between old story and new story. And if they do intend to bring him in, it would be strange because both major opportunities to do it have been replaced; Ekimu (the brother) and Okoto (rather than naming the island after him).

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Only if he's somehow relevant to the new story. Mentioning him simply for the sake of fanservice would be a bad idea.

Also, the idea of Mata Nui being a giant robot was central to the entire concept of the character from the beginning, so making a character called Mata Nui who is a literal spirit or deity would be extremely unfaithful to the original concept. It'd be almost like making an adaptation of The Wizard of Oz in which the wizard was literally an omnipotent sorcerer, or an adaptation of Citizen Kane where the term rosebud referred to a literal rosebud.

• Upvote 4

Mata-nui was literally the driving force behind all of bioneicle's story. His story has been told. I am happy to see new storys told about new charactors.

Totally and completely. I would say his return would be highly unlikely because, as mentioned before, his story has been told. Also, since Lego seems to be stripping Bionicle of all the technical names right down to (I think) Toa I would think it's unlikely they'll bring back anything-Nui much less Mata Nui.

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

Mata-Nui as a deity or ancient warrior (I vote for this) would be pretty sweet, but I don't think he should be re-introduced the same way as before. Roles have changed, and if he comes back so should his.

But I wouldn't be upset if it doesn't happen. It seems that Ekimu has got his old role covered.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps, if they make Mata Nui a normal Toa.

Give him a new mask as well.

• Upvote 1

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801