Taria Pakari

That's how I feel a lot of the time.

Like after I ended Gavla's Comics in April I just got burned out. I had used all my creative mojo on those endings.

Sometimes it's like that for this side series but I always press on.

So I mean, I'll have something up soon I think. I'm a bit crafty like that. I can toss together ideas in an instance.

lovewarconga2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Comic-

Singularity.

As the creator and author of Gavla's Comics: I can confirm that all Gavlas are sad about something in their lives.

Doesn't matter if they're alternate universe Gavlas or Totally Original. They're all sad and thus explains why they are so darn strange.

You can trust me on that. In TF2 I'm one of the 1%. You can always trust the 1%.

--EDIT--

Ya know I'm not going to make another post but.

I have no idea where Terton is.

Is he dead? No idea.

Anyway, Christmas/Holiday comic.

Comic-

Seasons Greetings.

Edited by Gavla

lovewarconga2.png

• 4 weeks later...

Co-Authoring doesn't really happen much here now that the forum is more or less slowly dying. At least in my point of view.

Although the only reason I decided to approach Terton with co-authoring is because I know this series would die without me to support it/influence him.

Which is ironic considering it's pretty dead with him not working on comics at the moment.

But hey, you can't win them all.

Rather amusing that since my "retirement" some older comic makers from the golden days are slowly returning.

Let's just say that I, The Resident Hatted King on this Comic Forum have connections and know that quite a few juicy things are going to happen in the coming years.

It's sure to be a Jolly good time.

Edited by Gavla

lovewarconga2.png

I've not been making comics because of a lack of motivation to do them... again.

No matter how many times I try to make a comeback, I always end up losing it. Seems I only try because of brief moments of inspiration and then poof, its gone again... it just doesn't bring me as much enjoyment as it did in the old days, now it just feels like a chore... Gav tried his best to get me back up and running, and I greatly appreciate it but let's face it, I'm just not the comic maker I used to be. Not to mention I have many other things I'm doing/planning which I enjoy more.

It is honestly fruitless for me to continue or even try again, as the result will be the same as always... my time as a comic maker is over. I realise this now, and BZPower is just not the place for me any more. I had a good run, but it is time for this fez wearing Irishman to close MSPaint and retire permanently.

You've all been good to me, and I thank you for that.

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

• 1 year later...

I had a good run, but it is time for this fez wearing Irishman to close MSPaint and retire permanently.

Aha...

Ahahaha...

AHAHAHAHAHA!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

To the Surprise of No One

Ahaaaaaaaaa...

God I'm bad at retirement.

EDIT: I suppose I'll like to my Comic Contest 3 entry too.

Edited by Terton
  • Upvote 1

Howdy,

Interesting. I look forward to the changes to be made. Although if you change your appearance again I swear… I don't want to update my spritesheets

Nice comic, I enjoyed the hat. It looks like a dyed afro… sunglasses combo, like you just came back from the disco. Or you suddenly turned into a dandelion. That would be quite dandy. I'm curious if that hat is to stay or not. It would be entertaining if you just couldn't get rid of it and Gavla ends up placing it everywhere around you, taunting you to put it on. Although I guess if you stuck with it it wouldn't be "Life of Fez", now wouldn't it?

I think there needs to be either a look-see at ol' Gavla's closet of hats or an intervention of sorts, similar to AA. That'd be entertaining.

Regardless, I enjoyed the comic and I look forward to the next.

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Although if you change your appearance again I swear…

Don't worry, purp Tert is here to stay.

As for the hat, that would be this one right here. Gifted to me by Gav himself actually, which is the reason I had Gav put it on my head. The fez is still my main thing though, I've been rocking that since 2011. Now if only I could get an orbiting planets unusual fez...

• Upvote 1

Haha, now that's entertaining. That'd totally be my reaction as well.

I like the little details you put in the comic like your character looking over his shoulder in the 2nd panel. I'll also admit, although I don't remember exactly how well done your backgrounds were in your earlier series, these backgrounds seem really good. Great use or perspective and light on the corner backgrounds. The lack of a shadow under the table bothers me though, I'll admit.

And it needs more shiny floors, just make everything shiny. If there is anything I've learned about making comics, it's that shiny = good. /Sarcasm

In all seriousness though, this was a nice, simple and genuinely funny one (at least for me). Nice work!

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Howdy,

My advice on shadows is that when it comes to anything static, go all out. When it's something that easily moves, don't bother with details. So for example, with a character (in Soran's Comics) I simply use an elliptical shadow. For me this is easy to remember as I set up a way to do it and thus, I'm not changing how I make them every comic.

10 pixels high, the width extends to as far as the character extends. The shadow is placed 2 "pixels" (on the character, which since I 3x my characters would be 6 real pixels) on the body. Then I gaussian blur it by 10 and lower shadows to 30% opacity.

For anything that is static or doesn't move, such as furniture or most background elements in general, I try to make it as close as I can in terms of realism. Figure out where the light should be coming from, have the shadow in the same direction, and make sure that the perspective is correct.

Although it's important to remember how shadows work in different settings. So for your setting in your recent comics, being inside a house, it isn't too crucial. If you were to stand up now (and if you're in a house) you'll probably notice that there isn't that much of a shadow that comes from overhead lighting, especially in terms of a person. Most shadows are really only visible with objects that hang above the ground, making the desk in your comic the only thing that truly "needs" it. Even then it's not too big of a deal so don't worry about it.

~Soran

Okay, I'd better review these... Interesting comics before they go stale.

The purple hat blends in seamlessly with the Pakari and makes my head spin. Also yes, Tert is a dandelion confirmed.

Nice webcam. And Soran is definitely the stuff of nightmares. The scoundrel didn't even use an apostrophe.

Howdy,

Nah, that seems completely logical to me. It runs off of the same principle for why my comics are so shiny; Mask of Light. 

true_story_by_soarinskies-d5b7434.png

All joking aside, I like the change. It looks nice, the characters look well tethered to the floor now. Be warned though, since you started implementing shadows you're going to notice a lot of new things that'll irk you. Things like misplaced shadows, shadows that are too dark, shadows that are too light, nonexistent shadows, wrong perspective shadows, etc. It comes with the new territory.

Sheesh, all this talk about shadows makes me feel like Makuta. Maybe I should take over the world stop thinking about shadowy things.

Gotta say in regards to the comic, I too like my character's unamused expression. You can tell that his logical mind is just going on overdrive. This perfectly contrasts Terton's own expressions quite well. I like it, it's entertaining. 

Back to the visuals though, you really need to unpack. There's like no furniture, it must all be in boxes or something. What if boxes were your furniture, you could make like a throne of boxes. Become the box lord, take over the world Home Depot near you. Start off small, work your way up. It'll be like a mafia operation, enlist more box followers until eventually your character gains an awareness of his surroundings and finds out how to control the world. For the world that he lives in… Is in boxes (Panels)!

All plot aside, some windows or furniture would be nice. Something to break up the monotony and give more room for exposition. A way to differentiate locations and have locational jokes or gags. Even if it's just a lamp on the floor or a window to your obnoxious neighbor's brick house, it'll give more detail to the comic. Of course, this isn't a requirement at all, it's just a mere suggestion as at the moment you're doing quite well with what you have. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the comic. I feel like Soran's a regular character now; should I send you his info or something or are ya' good? Regardless of that, I look forward to the next installment.

~Soran

Edit: It's entertaining going down the thread and seeing my responses get larger and larger. At this rate by page 10 I'd have written a novella.

Edited by Soran

Become the box lord, take over the world Home Depot near you

Unfortunately, being that I am living in England, we don't have Home Depot. I assume its a DIY store so the closest we have is B&Q and even then, there isn't one of those close to me. No boxes for me.

All plot aside, some windows or furniture would be nice. Something to break up the monotony and give more room for exposition. A way to differentiate locations and have locational jokes or gags. Even if it's just a lamp on the floor or a window to your obnoxious neighbor's brick house, it'll give more detail to the comic. Of course, this isn't a requirement at all, it's just a mere suggestion as at the moment you're doing quite well with what you have. 

Yeah I should probably do that. Make the endless blue room less endless. Who knows, maybe Terton will see sunlight again someday.

I feel like Soran's a regular character now; should I send you his info or something or are ya' good?

If you want to, go for it. Just drop me a PM, I should have my messenger open still.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was entertaining. 

This was one of the few comics where I didn't accidentally peek and see what was going to happen in the last panels so I was in for a big surprise. I assumed you were going to go back to your serious/plot-heavy comics style you had done before when I saw the first few panels. I just kind of assumed the box would be filled with some sort of mechanized, armored robot that would accidentally get dropped off somewhere because it wasn't securely fastened. Then it would wreck havoc at the super market while Terton is there to pick up some bananas or something. Suffice to say, I did not expect that ending. 

Sheesh, if Soran wasn't dead before he definitely is now. I think it's entertaining that my character is dead in yet another series, the poor guy just can't escape death. At least he can do ghostly things now like work in haunted houses or possess objects. Except boxes, no possessing boxes… Is this where his fear of boxes comes from? I love the 8th panel especially, it just looks entertaining to me, the way how Soran is just looking at the ruin of his body while it's sticking out cartoonishly underneath it. Priceless.

I liked the backgrounds in this one, they definitely all work well. I think the plane in the first panel looks adorable, but at the same time it could still work with the serious nature of a potential comic. Normally I get pretty stingy when it comes to clouds looking like clouds but I think that it works well here considering the cartoonish appearance of the plane. It flows better and goes to show that it's in motion at the same time. So I think it's a pretty nice panel, nice work.

I also liked the 2nd background as well. I think this was the background that made me anticipate the darker plot lines or something, as it reminds me very much of the backgrounds you used to make in the past. The colors work nice and the details are done quite well. I especially like the floor of it, as well as the lighting. The yellow lighting contrasts well with the darker, almost bluish grays and it helps to mix in with the yellow details in the background as well. It definitely gives me an impression of it being in a plane, which is good. 

You also did very well with the tiny details in the comics as per usual. One of the factors I've always found to be really impressive about your comics is the amount of emotion you can give to the characters just through body language. I'd like to think that I'm pretty good in that regard but you blow me out of the water. You can just sense the utter confusion of the teal-texted soldier through the comic and how he battles with following orders and logical reasoning. It's very impressive.

This along with your fantastic placement of the "Later…" text which I always have some difficulty with. It just flowed naturally, which I think is because it was easy to follow through reading the speech bubbles. You've got good placement. Along with the "Crash!" onomatopoeia which worked well and looked great. It also gave the reveal as to what happened in the next panel all the more funnier. The floor breaking effect is also nice.

The only thing I can think of that could be improved upon is the contrast between the box and the plane background. With how otherwise detailed the inside of the plane is, with details going down to the smallest of pixels, it doesn't work nearly as well with the very heavy, pixelated box. 

I also almost feel like the ending could've been better, like something like this for example:

8th panel:

• "Oh look, my stuff arrived." Terton, off screen.

9th panel:

• "Ah man, it broke my floor." Terton looking at the damage annoyed.
  • "It broke my body." Soran looking deadpan. (lolpun)

Although this could be just a difference in comedy styles so I wouldn't hold it against you.

Overall, I enjoyed the comic. Nice work as usual and I look forward to more.

~Soran

Very relatable comic.

I know at times that I too will look at some of my old comics and most of the time I'll regret doing so. They're so bad. Even on my own topic I simply post the comics that I feel are any good at all with some series being left out entirely. It's an interesting feeling, you know? I just look back on when I was making the comics and remember just how excited I was, how I thought that I was making things to the very best of my abilities. It's an interesting feeling as in a way, it's depressing. Looking back on old, often terrible work makes me feel depressed, I just think of it as a time of ignorance. Ignorance to the concepts I now employ, how I thought that no other option could be better, etc. I'm sure in time I'll look back on the current comics I make and think the same thing, but now is not that time. Brain bleach would be very useful in those times of sorrow.

Speaking of which: Brain bleach, right next to the headlight fluid.

Nice and simple comic, I like it. I see that once again your characters employ great body language. Your visual effects are also quite good as well, you've very shortly mastered the shadows and reflections quite nicely. Great work as usual and I look forward to more,

~Soran

Now this one was funny.

Most comics I've read in the past are strictly "entertaining"; it's normally something that has gauged my interest enough for me to anticipate the next but rarely are they ever genuinely funny. This one though, this one was funny. I thought it was a genuinely funny comic. So props on that.

I like all the little details to the comic that encompass this one. Like how I noticed that Gavla's speech bubbles are actually red and blue to match his colors and mine work in a similar manner whether intentional or not. I like the focus blur, so-to-speak, of the characters in the last two panels. The reference to both my own comics and Gavla's with that first panel. The window panel itself looks great. But most of all I just like Soran's deadpan expression. Even though it isn't seen in the last two panels, I'd like to assume it's there, just speaking so matter-of-factly. It's entertaining to me. 

It also had a great delivery of a joke in the very end. 

"That sounds like quitter talk!"

Overall, this comic might be my favorite so far. It matches my type of humor very well.

Nice comic as usual and keep up the great work,

~Soran

Never thought I'd see you back in this line of work, ol' Tert. Not sure how long it'll last but it's sure to be a good ride.

I'd offer to help out once more but I am Simply Too Busy. 

Still, looking forward to whatever ideas pop up behind that purple mask. 

lovewarconga2.png