Battle for the Gold Mask Competition!

Soooo...I haven't MOCed in years now but this is just what I needed to get back in the game. 

Good luck all. 

Also: I don't have any pieces newer than 2011 BIONICLE -- never actually bought any HF sets. It's ok if my entry is restricted to those parts, right?

Yes, that's fine.
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Hmm, about that "containing or depicting contemporary military vehicles or weapons" rule, does it

apply to futuristic/Sci-fi styled firearms such as beam weapon/blasters? It seems to me so far that

only cold weapons are allowed in this contest except the official blaster assemblies (Midak Skyblasters/

Cordak Blasters, etc)?  

Edited by JackHunter

Hmmm my moc uses the Infected Hau from the 2001 Muaka and Kane Ra set is this part allowed?

Yes. That is a LEGO piece. There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to use it.

Also would it be allowed to use a blacklight to make fluorescent parts glow?

I'm going to go with no on this. We want MOCs to be well lit and visible for the judges.

Hmm, about that "containing or depicting contemporary military vehicles or weapons" rule, does it

apply to futuristic/Sci-fi styled firearms such as beam weapon/blasters? It seems to me so far that

only cold weapons are allowed in this contest except the official blaster assemblies (Midak Skyblasters/

Cordak Blasters, etc)?

Contemporary means, "belonging to or occurring in the present." Since we are not living in the future, futuristic and science fiction weapons are fine.

I've been wondering, how often is the entry list refreshed? I mean the submission topic clearly has more than what is currently listed in the entry list. Another thing I had in mind, is it known who are going to be the judges of the contest?

Thank you.

The entry list is updated when I have time to do so. I've been busy for the past three days, so I haven't had the time to work on it.

The judges are listed in the first post of this topic.

LDD question. Do I have to wait for the thing to load 30-something MB everytime I boot it up?

Are their going to be runner up prizes?

Oh yes, I wanted to ask this. Since BZP has a ton of trans-Haus, do you think that BZP could give away some here for, like special mentions or something? Or maybe those who put a lot of effort in their submission but didn't win..

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

LDD question. Do I have to wait for the thing to load 30-something MB everytime I boot it up?

Oh yes, I wanted to ask this. Since BZP has a ton of trans-Haus, do you think that BZP could give away some here for, like special mentions or something? Or maybe those who put a lot of effort in their submission but didn't win..

He has a point there, there's probably going to be an honorable mention or something, they could get the Trans Hau

Is it okay to hang the MoC from fishing string in front of a background to simulate flight/levitation/underwater swimming so long as that's not the only picture?

Since that would involve non-Lego items, no.

The prizes listed are the prizes available.

To be honest I think allowing people to use LDD is pretty unfair since they have access to an infinite number of parts in colors that don't exist, which makes it unfair on people making real physical creations. 

But we only have a very limited number of pieces to work with in LDD, since it was only after Bionicle had ended that they started adding Bionicle pieces to LDD. So infinite colours, yes, infinite parts, no. LDD has, far fewer parts than the average Bionicle collection and there is no variety, so it's actually quite a struggle to create new things with next to nothing to work with.

And another thing - I am a student, which means can't really take all my LEGO with me to my student lodgings, so all I can use to create MOCs for this competition is LDD. 

So if anything, it's staggeringly unfair on people who use LDD. Surely this makes it equal to making MOCs with real parts?

Edited by Maxiboy136
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like something I'd love to enter !

Just one question to make sure my entry wouldn't be against the rules :

Use of any toy parts not produced by the LEGO Group will result in your villain being disqualified

What about fabric/cloth for wings ? They would be home made, but as they're not toy parts this might be a grey area.

-Iben

I do believe the old Lego Vikings sets had some dragon wings.  If you thing you can make something out of capes then the Bionicle sets for Vezon and Karzahni may be what you're looking for.

How long does the LDD Povray render take? I left it over night and it's still at 29% :blink:

It depends how complex your model is. More complex models take well over a day, whilst less complex models take almost a full day.

If I change it to a smaller picture, it's much faster, like 10 minutes. What's the optimal size that people have been using?

To be honest I think allowing people to use LDD is pretty unfair since they have access to an infinite number of parts in colors that don't exist, which makes it unfair on people making real physical creations. 

I have practically no parts to build MoCs. LDD is the only option for me that I even have a chance. I think real parts have an advantage because it's so much easier to build when everything is right in front of you, and it's possible to pose some pieces where the LDD program says it's impossible because of a millimeter of overlap that real parts can overcome. Plus LDD is actually missing some parts that exist in real life. So if I had access to real parts, I would use those instead.

Btw, if you think LDD has an advantage, you can use that too if you want. No one's stopping anyone from using LDD. It's all up to preference.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 1

I have practically no parts to build MoCs. LDD is the only option for me that I even have a chance. I think real parts have an advantage because it's so much easier to build when everything is right in front of you, and it's possible to pose some pieces where the LDD program says it's impossible because of a millimeter of overlap that real parts can overcome. Plus LDD is actually missing some parts that exist in real life. So if I had access to real parts, I would use those instead.

Btw, if you think LDD has an advantage, you can use that too if you want. No one's stopping anyone from using LDD. It's all up to preference.

Hear, hear! Exactly.

Actually, now they are stopping you from using LDD. Well, pretty much. Apparently you aren't allowed to use certain colours for your MOC. And if this is the case then they may as well ban LDD models from the competition full stop.  :???:

Really angry about this, as, being a student living away from home, I don't have access to my LEGO collection. These grossly unfair rules put people like me (and just LDD users in general) at a huge disadvantage against those who are able to use an extensive collection of physical Bionicle pieces. Instead, we have to make do with an extremely restricted selection of elements. LDD users have next to nothing to work with, and it's only fair that we should be able  to use LDD to its full extent.  > :(

Hope someone addresses this and fixes it so that all entrants have an equal chance. We all want a fair competition.   :begging:

Edited by Maxiboy136

LDD MOCs are permitted, and elements used in LDD entries can only be used in colours they're physically produced in. This is a rule from LEGO, meant to allow as many people as possible to participate on as even a playing field as possible. The tangent ends now.

Should we make a topic in the BBC for our entries? Or is the submission post fine?

As long as you remember to post your entries in the submission topic, you're free to make (or not make) a BBC topic as you wish.

Ok then. Before we end this, may I inquire as to how exactly these rules "allow as many people as possible to participate on as even a playing field as possible"? I reckon there will now be a lot of people who can't enter, myself included.

Anyway, sorry to go on about it. I just want a fair competition. Rant over now.  ;) 

Ok then. Before we end this, may I inquire as to how exactly these rules "allow as many people as possible to participate on as even a playing field as possible"? I reckon there will now be a lot of people who can't enter, myself included.

Anyway, sorry to go on about it. I just want a fair competition. Rant over now.  ;) 

Allowing LDD entries gives people without access to their collections or to a lot of constraction pieces a way to make MOCs to enter into the contest. As one of the main rules of the contest is "only elements produced by LEGO are permitted", LDD entries can't include parts that LEGO doesn't produce; that is, pieces in colours they've never been made in. It's not true that there's "now a lot of people who can't enter": these have been the rulings regarding LDD since the beginning of the contest. In fact, we've had a few neat LDD entries already. You just can't use parts that wouldn't exist outside of LDD.

Allowing LDD entries gives people without access to their collections or to a lot of constraction pieces a way to make MOCs to enter into the contest. As one of the main rules of the contest is "only elements produced by LEGO are permitted", LDD entries can't include parts that LEGO doesn't produce; that is, pieces in colours they've never been made in. It's not true that there's "now a lot of people who can't enter": these have been the rulings regarding LDD since the beginning of the contest. In fact, we've had a few neat LDD entries already. You just can't use parts that wouldn't exist outside of LDD.

Oh well. Never mind then.  :( So do I just have to change the colour of the MOCs I've made?

Oh well. Never mind then.  :( So do I just have to change the colour of the MOCs I've made?

As long as you haven't entered your MOCs, you're free to modify them. Once you enter them, though, you can't make any further changes.

As long as you haven't entered your MOCs, you're free to modify them. Once you enter them, though, you can't make any further changes.

Right, well I've still got plenty of MOCs I haven't yet entered, so I'll just give them a few tweaks. They won't look the way they're supposed to, but at least they'll be eligible. Thanks for letting me know! 

It was confirmed to be a gold Skull Spider mask.

----------

Will Black Six be the only BZP judge?

Also, when the judges... judge, how will they read our little stories? On the entry page it only links to the gallery and entry picture.... 

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Sounds like something I'd love to enter !

Just one question to make sure my entry wouldn't be against the rules :

Use of any toy parts not produced by the LEGO Group will result in your villain being disqualified

What about fabric/cloth for wings ? They would be home made, but as they're not toy parts this might be a grey area.

-Iben

I do believe the old Lego Vikings sets had some dragon wings.  If you thing you can make something out of capes then the Bionicle sets for Vezon and Karzahni may be what you're looking for.

The dragons wings I believe are fine, but homemade fabric has already been stated by BlackSix to be a no. If you have access to Lego-made capes, such as Vezon's cape or any capes from Knights Kingdom I believe you will be fine

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

It was confirmed to be a gold Skull Spider mask.

----------

Will Black Six be the only BZP judge?

Also, when the judges... judge, how will they read our little stories? On the entry page it only links to the gallery and entry picture....

Each site has one judge to represent it, so yes.

The judges might try to read the backstories, but with the volume of entries and several judges not having English as a first language, it's hard to say how much weight they'll carry.

Wich one of the seven gold masks that were shown at Comic Con is being given away?

Or is it the 8th one they didn't show...? :P

1. probably the mask of creation

2. they showed 8 masks you're forgetting the mask of control

1. It has been revealed that the mask being given out in this competition is the 8th one not shown at NYCC... a Golden Skull Spider mask.
  2. The Mask of Control was not shown at NYCC. Only the 6 Toa masks + the Mask of Creation.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Hear, hear! Exactly.

Actually, now they are stopping you from using LDD. Well, pretty much. Apparently you aren't allowed to use certain colours for your MOC. And if this is the case then they may as well ban LDD models from the competition full stop.  :???:

Really angry about this, as, being a student living away from home, I don't have access to my LEGO collection. These grossly unfair rules put people like me (and just LDD users in general) at a huge disadvantage against those who are able to use an extensive collection of physical Bionicle pieces. Instead, we have to make do with an extremely restricted selection of elements. LDD users have next to nothing to work with, and it's only fair that we should be able  to use LDD to its full extent.  > :(

Hope someone addresses this and fixes it so that all entrants have an equal chance. We all want a fair competition.   :begging:

Use bricklink to determine what colors have existed. That's what I do.