How well do you know the Matoran Alphabet?

Boidoh

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So today in IT class, when I was supposed to be doing stupid spreadsheet stuff, I decided to finally learn the Matoran Alphabet, and while I was at it, have my friend who I have indoctrinated into BIONICLE learn it too.

Turns out, it wasn't hard. In about an hours worth of writing various words with it, it has become like my second language now, or something. And my friend knows it probably just as well as I do.

How well do you know it.

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Not well. No matter how many times I learn a letter, I forget it until the next time and then I have to compare the shapes to English letters and guesstimate based on words I know, all over again.

Good news is it's usually easy to do that.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I read and write it all the time. I'm pretty quick at writing, but a few letters slow me down when I'm reading. I'm still pretty proud of what I can do with it.

Plus that font does help for MOCs and such.

• Upvote 1

I committed it to memory years ago. For a long time, I had trouble remembering what "Q" looked like, but that has since been amended.

It takes a while to write anything in it, though, so I just use either the round or hexagonal fonts available for download.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

While I can't read it as fast as regular words, I can usually translate the letters fairly quickly, as most of the letters in the Matoran Alphabet are very similar to what English letter they represent...

A= :a:

D= :m_d:

L= :l:

T= :t:

So if you just understand how they transformed the letters into the circle-line-thing-shapes, then it's not that hard to figure out.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Haha, funny that this topic pops up now. I was playing through MNOG II (hoping to beat it finally) and realized that I cannot read anything. Sure I can recognize a fair few symbols (thankfully, they are very similar to English alphabet in many ways) but it was definitely not "fluent".

Still, I was super impressed at the Matoran language. The story team really put their all into making this feel exotic. The numbering system is particularly very nice, very reminiscent of numbering systems in other (especially Asian) languages.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

It's a simple substitution cipher, so if I don't remember All the letters, I remember most of them and fill in the words that way.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I can both read and write it, quite fun actually. sometimes when I'm bored during class, I usually write something in the matoran alphabet that no one else except me can read.

and for everybody who don't know it: It's very easy to learn, and it isn't time consuming at all. Didn't take me more than 20 minutes or so. Definitly worth it!

:g: :m_o: :m_o: :m_d:   :l: :u: :c: :k:!

• Upvote 1

-  :t: :u: :r: :t: :e: :x:

Check out my photostream at Flickr!

Committed to memory many years ago and very rarely forgotten despite being little used (A little like the Unown alphabet!) Like others there are a few that I find more difficult than others but you don't have to know every letter to break a code! I played through MNOLG 1.5 a few days ago and read the walls of Nuju's hut ("what do you get if...") and the great little sign by the Po-Wahi souvenir stand ("my friend went to Po Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock!") so it does come in handy from time to time :P

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I have the matoran alphabet as one of my fonts in Word. I can read and write it without reference, although I struggle on some of the weirder letters.

How does one acquire such a font?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!

I have the matoran alphabet as one of my fonts in Word. I can read and write it without reference, although I struggle on some of the weirder letters.

How does one acquire such a font?

It's on the frontpage of BZPower somewhere, I think. Search "Mata Nui Font" in Google, and you'll find it. 

I can't really translate the letters directly, but I can read it to a limited extent, especially if there is environment to suggest what the word means, like in the MNOG. I plan on improving, for I'm very, very slow with translations, but it's not exactly my number one priority in life right now.  :D

I know it well enough in writing to take a full days worth of college lecture notes in it (I got tired of a friend copying everything) and even do a small bit of calculus in it (just a warning, don't try that)
When it comes to reading it, I can do it decently. I'm a bit slower with that, made the whole calc thing a lot harder. Seriously, I don't recommend that.

• Upvote 2

-Signature

I know it well enough in writing to take a full days worth of college lecture notes in it

You win the topic, sir. Well done. *Ta-Koro Guard salute*

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I do my math homework in the Matoran Alphabet...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh