Old Or New?

joeshak13

Old or new?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you guys think about the plot lines and characters for Lego themes these days? Are they better or worse then the old ones? (Alpha Team vs Agents, Rock Raiders vs Power Miners, Life on Mars vs Mars Mission, etc) Personally I was more into the older stuff more then I ever was with the new stuff.

Edited by joeshak13

In general, I'd say new is better. Of course, I buy fewer themes than I used to, but that's partly just a result of being an adult and having to exercise more restraint in my buying decisions. I definitely like Power Miners better than Rock Raiders, today's City sets better than older iterations of Town, today's Star Wars sets better than those a decade or so ago, Hero Factory better than Slizers/Throwbots, Space Police III better than Space Police II, and Friends better than Belville. And the advantage new stuff has isn't all-encompassing. Older stuff had plenty of advantages that newer stuff lacks (as is obvious in the BIONICLE/Hero Factory comparison). I'm not really measuring themes against each other in any comprehensive way; I suppose I'm just an optimist in that I expect some improvement to come as a result of time and experience and see that improvement in the things around me.

I had to vote for older because I feel that story lines now a days are far to short and don't have much detail, Whereas the old story lines had detail, lasted and did not end abruptly. So yeah that's why i chose that.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Old; the storylines today are way too cheesy/uncreative.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Blame nostalgia, but I'm with the older themes all the way. For one thing, at least, the characters always felt much more developed (see Adventurers, AT or RR) - whereas nowadays they've seem lucky to get a name and/or personality slapped onto them at all.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Depends on how long ago. I don't like the sets up until the mid 90s, because they were too angular, and made only of bricks. However, all the new pieces with flat surfaces take away the "Lego"-ness of them. I like the period from 2000-2007 the most, with Knights' Kingdom, Exo-force, Alpha Team, Bionicle, etc.

I'm a little concerned about the merits of this topic. Not only is it exceedingly general, which I think is a disservice to all the material being discussed, but I could also see this drudging up flame wars.However, discussion here has been very civil thus far. I'm going to allow this to stay open, but consider this a reminder to all participants to keep things civil and good! I'll be keeping an eye on this topic.As for myself, I thinks there are both good themes and bad themes in all time periods. I have a lot of very good memories with the late-80s and early-90s themes, as those are what I grew up with, but some of the new themes are wonderful as well (Space Police III was hilariously great, for instance). I think there was a major lull in set design quality most of this previous decade (i.e., the 2000s) but the past few years have seen a major, major uptick. There are some great sets out there right now.

bring back "an cool dude"

I'm a little concerned about the merits of this topic. Not only is it exceedingly general, which I think is a disservice to all the material being discussed, but I could also see this drudging up flame wars.However, discussion here has been very civil thus far. I'm going to allow this to stay open, but consider this a reminder to all participants to keep things civil and good! I'll be keeping an eye on this topic.As for myself, I thinks there are both good themes and bad themes in all time periods. I have a lot of very good memories with the late-80s and early-90s themes, as those are what I grew up with, but some of the new themes are wonderful as well (Space Police III was hilariously great, for instance). I think there was a major lull in set design quality most of this previous decade (i.e., the 2000s) but the past few years have seen a major, major uptick. There are some great sets out there right now.

I think the vagueness of this topic could easily be part of why there haven't been flame wars. "Old" and "New" have obvious meanings if we're just comparing these two terms, but "Old" for one person might be different than "Old" for someone else. And I don't think anyone wants to get into an argument about that because it's easy to understand that it's purely a matter of opinion.I also feel that there has been a big increase in set design since the early- to mid-2000s. In retrospect it's easy to see LEGO as a company trying to find its footing with a new generation of kids, even if there are certain themes and sets from that period we can look back on fondly (I know a lot of AFOLs who really enjoyed Orient Expedition, and there are plenty of people on this site with very fond memories of Alpha Team).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted old... For nostalgia.I mean, new sets probably are as good. But Life on Mars was better than Mars Mission, the old awesome ninja sets were so much cooler than the new ones. Alpha Team was epic, those pyramid sets...I'm sure I must be biased, but I freaking love those old sets waaaaay more.It might be because I think the old lego magazines were cooler.

banner.png

I voted for equal. When most of were younger, Lego sets have this fascinitating and almost magical appeal to yourself and feel like the most amazing things ever. However, as you grow older these sets don't have the same feeling as they once did when you were younger. It's not a problem with the sets, it's just that you grow older. I've seen kids playing with the newer Lego sets, and they seem to experience the same feelings that I once had when I was younger. I probably would've enjoyed the old Lego sets as well as the new ones at a fairly equal level if I were at the same younger age. If you think about, the old bionicle sets (which I love), weren't actually that great. From 2001-2005 most of the sets were pretty much recoloured clones of themselves. The toa mata, while highly regarded by many bzpers, were quite lacking; their body parts lacked in articulation and had very simple build designs. tl;dr - Old sets are as good as the new ones.

Majhost sucks

Most new lines are better than their older counterparts. Like for example rockraiders/powerminers and Life on mars/marsmission.However, there are some older set themes that I liked MUCH more than the newer ones (mainly because of story). Knights KIngdom was amazing, one of my favorite themes ever. Until it was no longer about Jayko, Rascus, Santis, and Danju, that is. I also loved the Adventures theme. Those two themes were my favorite non lisenced themes and I never got a single set from them. Probably because I got only BIONICLE.I exempted BIONICLE from my decision because it really was unique. Hero Factory too, but to a lesser extent.

• 2 weeks later...