Lyichir

Folks who know me know that I'm a big fan of My Little Pony, which extends to the high-school spinoff Equestria Girls. Unfortunately, as a long-time fan of Lego, the My Little Pony toys (including the Equestria Girls dolls) fall far short of the standard Lego produces, both in terms of creative potential and in terms of quality. And a Lego MLP theme represents a sort of unattainable ideal—a theme which could be absolutely amazing, if not for the fact that the toy companies involved are, and probably always will be, fierce competitors.

But of course that doesn't stop me from wanting to envision what such a partnership could be like! The Lego Friends "Minidolls" are pretty much perfect for representing the characters from the Equestria Girls universe, so after much heming and hawing I finally broke down, polished my basic Adobe Illustrator skills I'd learned at college, and got to work.

15516067909_ac630c7969_o.png

This is my first attempt at a Twilight Sparkle minidoll. All of the parts are official Lego parts, and while many of them are in colors they haven't appeared in before (obviously, given the fantastic skin tones in the series), the colors used all correspond to official Lego colors on the current color palette. I'd like to someday try my hand at making a physical version, the complex curves of Minidolls ensure that painting would most likely be the only way to apply colors and patterns, and my lack of a steady hand plus the cost of materials make me a little less than confident about trying to customize my own version just yet. For now, this mock-up will have to do.

I'm currently working on the rest of the "mane six". They're coming along nicely, although there are no Lego hairpieces which quite match the hairdos of the other characters, so I'll probably have to make do with some less perfect matches. I figure I can add the others to this topic when I get them to a state of completion I'm happy with.

For now, comments? Critiques? Other related thoughts? I'd love to hear feedback, especially the kind that can help me improve!

EDIT: Still no other characters yet, but in the meantime, how about a DeviantART link? I did some work to clean up and improve Twilight before posting her there, so that one is technically a more up-to-date version.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Nicely done! Whilst I didn't like the first one (and I haven't seen the second one yet) I could see this becoming a really good theme, too bad they're rivals, sigh I want a Pinkie Pie minifigure.

You should definitely see Rainbow Rocks. It's much better, and I'm saying that as a fan of the first one! As I've explained to a couple of my friends: while the first movie did good to tide me over in the break between seasons 3 and 4, I was ready to go back to actual ponies when it was over. Rainbow Rocks, on the other hand, left me wanting more in a good way, and I'm on the edge of my seat just waiting to find out what the Humane Five (as I've seen them referred to) will get up to next!

I do think that there would be theme potential for this if not for the bitter enmity between Lego and Hasbro. I've focused mostly on Equestria Girls MOC concepts in part because compatible figs exist and in part because the more grounded, realistic human world is easier to MOC for than the "chaos architecture" of Equestria. Just take a look at some MLP backgrounds sometime—even standard buildings like you see in Ponyville have curves all over and overhangs that might be quite unstable, and when you get to more unusual buildings like Twilight's treehouse all the normal rules of architecture go out the window!

---

Today I made some more progress on Applejack and Fluttershy. Applejack is almost done except for her boots (which need more detailing), skirt (which could use some details like stitching and pockets) and her hair/hat (I think I'll go with the CMF cowgirl hat, since while it's not perfect, hat/hair combos in Lego are rare and I'll take what I can get). Fluttershy still needs work; her face is done, as is the groundwork for her outfit, but the details will likely take a while, and I haven't settled on a hairpiece. Besides them, Rainbow and Pinkie Pie are about at the same stage of completion as Fluttershy (needing outfit details and hair), while all I have for Rarity is her base model and color scheme—I haven't even modeled her complex eyes yet. And that's all I have—I don't want to start on any side characters until I've finished more of the Mane Six, or I might never finish ANYTHING.

• Upvote 1

Nicely done! Whilst I didn't like the first one (and I haven't seen the second one yet) I could see this becoming a really good theme, too bad they're rivals, sigh I want a Pinkie Pie minifigure.

You should definitely see Rainbow Rocks. It's much better, and I'm saying that as a fan of the first one! As I've explained to a couple of my friends: while the first movie did good to tide me over in the break between seasons 3 and 4, I was ready to go back to actual ponies when it was over. Rainbow Rocks, on the other hand, left me wanting more in a good way, and I'm on the edge of my seat just waiting to find out what the Humane Five (as I've seen them referred to) will get up to next!

I do think that there would be theme potential for this if not for the bitter enmity between Lego and Hasbro. I've focused mostly on Equestria Girls MOC concepts in part because compatible figs exist and in part because the more grounded, realistic human world is easier to MOC for than the "chaos architecture" of Equestria. Just take a look at some MLP backgrounds sometime—even standard buildings like you see in Ponyville have curves all over and overhangs that might be quite unstable, and when you get to more unusual buildings like Twilight's treehouse all the normal rules of architecture go out the window!

---

Today I made some more progress on Applejack and Fluttershy. Applejack is almost done except for her boots (which need more detailing), skirt (which could use some details like stitching and pockets) and her hair/hat (I think I'll go with the CMF cowgirl hat, since while it's not perfect, hat/hair combos in Lego are rare and I'll take what I can get). Fluttershy still needs work; her face is done, as is the groundwork for her outfit, but the details will likely take a while, and I haven't settled on a hairpiece. Besides them, Rainbow and Pinkie Pie are about at the same stage of completion as Fluttershy (needing outfit details and hair), while all I have for Rarity is her base model and color scheme—I haven't even modeled her complex eyes yet. And that's all I have—I don't want to start on any side characters until I've finished more of the Mane Six, or I might never finish ANYTHING.

I've heard the second one is pretty good and I'll watch when I can (by which I mean when someone uploads an uncut version to youtube or dailymotion).

If a theme based on regular MLP was released (that being in my dream world) then it would require a lot of new molds, EG would yes be much easier for lego to produce.

And I look forward to seeing more of these minidolls, also I would love to see these in regular minifigure form.

It's time to move on.

---

I've heard the second one is pretty good and I'll watch when I can (by which I mean when someone uploads an uncut version to youtube or dailymotion).

If a theme based on regular MLP was released (that being in my dream world) then it would require a lot of new molds, EG would yes be much easier for lego to produce.

And I look forward to seeing more of these minidolls, also I would love to see these in regular minifigure form.

The main reason I'm not doing them as regular minifigures is that minidolls generally allow for so much more detail. The minifigure represents an iconic, simplified design, and adding too much detail can ruin that. For instance, the minidolls allow me to pack more detail into the costumes (since the leg molds allow for longer legs AND skirts AND boots or shoes, all while hewing close to the actual character designs). It allows me to pack more detail into the faces, since just by increasing the eye size I can make them match the actual character designs almost perfectly—these eyes would look odd on minifigs, like the Avatar: The Last Airbender figs, and the lack of a nose could significantly harm the characters' look. Frankly, the minidoll design is just the right piece for the right job in this case—it allows for an almost perfect match to the TV character designs.

A standard MLP theme would most likely use lots of new molds for the characters. The old Cuusoo proposal was quite epic and even though it stood no chance of success it featured fantastic designs that might well have worked for such a theme. But in the absence of specially designed ponyfigs, I think that Hasbro's own blindbag ponies would be about the right size to work with Lego (the determining factor is how well they work with less scalable parts like doors and windows, and what I've seen in pictures suggest they'd do just fine).

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a rather interesting project. I honestly have seen almost no one else even try to do something like this. (And this coming from the guy who wrote a fanfiction with the exact same name as the title of this topic (not that I mind, anyway). Even though my fanfiction features the main 6 as minifigs, I think that your project of making them as minidolls is still pretty neat.)

By the way, if I remember correctly, didn't you once try to submit a fanfiction of your own to Equestria Daily? I think you should try to do that with this project of yours. It certainly seems unique enough to possibly be featured there. :)

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

On one hand, I really dislike the Brony/Pony subculture.

On the other hand however, this drawing succedes in achieving what is described. I've seen that pony before (Twilight?) and what you drew seems to match her quite well. The design also matches the new figures released for the new girl theme, and you stayed true to that, so in short: you did a really great job in what you pursued.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

On one hand, I really dislike the Brony/Pony subculture.

On the other hand however, this drawing succedes in achieving what is described. I've seen that pony before (Twilight?) and what you drew seems to match her quite well. The design also matches the new figures released for the new girl theme, and you stayed true to that, so in short: you did a really great job in what you pursued.

Someone who doesn't like MLP yet doesn't scream every time he sees it?! IT'S A MIRACLE! 

It's time to move on.