Dalek CAAN

We all know about the new gearbox that the Toa-Koto have but not all of us have it.

Well, here is my version of the new gearbox. :)

The Toa himself isn't very unique except for the infected Hau I like to put on MoCs. :P

15815329075_3035febc3c.jpg

15629513949_37f2d61eb9_t.jpg  15816888622_456b7c5082_t.jpg  15813437731_afa8d2cfe9_t.jpg

GALLERY

It's simple enough and has friction because of this piece, the stud end of it goes in the pin hole in the standard CCBS body which causes it to stay in place when moved. I wanted to make as close as I could but I don't have a lot of this piece for actual friction. 

It's not the best it could be, but I know you smart cookies on BZP could help make it better. :)

It would be nice if someone with all the pieces could build it themselves and pick up where I left off. 

As always, C&C and upvotes are appreciated.

Thanks for viewing!

EXTERMINATE!

Edited by Dalek CAAN
  • Upvote 3

EXTERMINATE!

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf 15201987503_1b25d2d5b1_m.jpg  

3DS Friend Code:2578-4213-3661        A link to Goooooomba

I don't know, tbh. If this topic is being used to showcase just the gearbox and the body is auxiliary then I don't think it counts as a MOC, but I don't know.

Aside from that, I definitely like the way you built the gearbox. I had built one using a slightly different method I haven't photographed, but I imagine yours is much more stable than mine. I would definitely like to add some friction to it, though.

bBhcfWO.png

I don't know, tbh. If this topic is being used to showcase just the gearbox and the body is auxiliary then I don't think it counts as a MOC, but I don't know.

Aside from that, I definitely like the way you built the gearbox. I had built one using a slightly different method I haven't photographed, but I imagine yours is much more stable than mine. I would definitely like to add some friction to it, though.

I made the topic to showcase the gearbox, yes. Should I just post it in the Bionicle 2015 thread?

Cool, I would like to see yours, it is very stable and doesn't flop around like the Mata. If you saw the video at the end of the album you'll see how stable it is. :D

EXTERMINATE!

Edited by Dalek CAAN

EXTERMINATE!

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf 15201987503_1b25d2d5b1_m.jpg  

One key feature this lacks that the actual gearbox has is the ability to raise it up to raise the shoulder level (as Kopaka and Lewa do). You could fix that by turning the "T" shaped Technic half beams upside down, and adding a Technic beam behind it (extending up so that the center gear can connect to it). This still wouldn't match the form factor of the new gearbox, but it'd come closer in terms of where it could be connected to a model.

That head connection is wack as heck as well, but I can't think of a much better way to connect a Mata head to a ball joint while keeping the proportions, so I guess whatever works. :notsure:

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

One key feature this lacks that the actual gearbox has is the ability to raise it up to raise the shoulder level (as Kopaka and Lewa do). You could fix that by turning the "T" shaped Technic half beams upside down, and adding a Technic beam behind it (extending up so that the center gear can connect to it). This still wouldn't match the form factor of the new gearbox, but it'd come closer in terms of where it could be connected to a model.

That head connection is wack as heck as well, but I can't think of a much better way to connect a Mata head to a ball joint while keeping the proportions, so I guess whatever works. :notsure:

Ok, thanks for the help! Will do. 

EXTERMINATE!

Edited by Dalek CAAN

EXTERMINATE!

Nice alternative gearbox design.

Here's a gearbox design (from this MOC)that, if you add some 8-tooth gears and switch out the 3-length axles with 4-length+stop axles and bushings, works really well. I used a modified version of it on my Deflecto MOC (a MOC which I haven't posted here but soon will.) I think the design will work with the 12-tooth gears replacing the knob gears.

EDIT: Also, the Mata head connection isn't that bad, in my opinion. It works with official Lego rubberbands, and so technically doesn't put the parts under pressure. I've used it myself, and it works pretty well. Credit to Jangbricks, because he invented it.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Here's a gearbox design (from this MOC)that, if you add some 8-tooth gears and switch out the 3-length axles with 4-length+stop axles and bushings, works really well. I used a modified version of it on my Deflecto MOC (a MOC which I haven't posted here but soon will.) I think the design will work with the 12-tooth gears replacing the knob gears.

EDIT: Also, the Mata head connection isn't that bad, in my opinion. It works with official Lego rubberbands, and so technically doesn't put the parts under pressure. I've used it myself, and it works pretty well. Credit to Jangbricks, because he invented it.

If only I had more than 2 of those gears....

Thanks for finding the video.

EDIT: What is the piece that the gearboxes use as gears? I've looked at Bricklink but to no avail.

Edited by Dalek CAAN

EXTERMINATE!

EDIT: What is the piece that the gearboxes use as gears? I've looked at Bricklink but to no avail.

You mean the gears used in the new sets? They're the trusty old Technic Knob Wheel (as Bricklink calls it), dating back to the year 1998 and first appearing in Bionicle way back in 2002 (in the Boxor).

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This is a really nice looking gearbox, the only thing that it needs is to change the Axle 3 with stud piece with a Axle 4 with stop and use two of this piece. Then it would work a lot better.

Thanks! That WOULD be nice, but I don't have that piece, (At least not in a MoC or set) and what would I do with the "Technic Bush"? 

You mean the gears used in the new sets? They're the trusty old Technic Knob Wheel (as Bricklink calls it), dating back to the year 1998 and first appearing in Bionicle way back in 2002 (in the Boxor).

Thank you! I forgot about the 2 on Black Phantom so I'll salvage those. :) Expect a new design when I finish sorting my pieces by color.

EXTERMINATE!

EXTERMINATE!

This is a really nice looking gearbox, the only thing that it needs is to change the Axle 3 with stud piece with a Axle 4 with stop and use two of this piece. Then it would work a lot better.

Thanks! That WOULD be nice, but I don't have that piece, (At least not in a MoC or set) and what would I do with the "Technic Bush"?

Okay dude, I don't live with you or been in your house, so I have no idea what parts you do and not have.

Also you really don't know what those Technic Bush are for :/

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube