How many eye colors would you like to see in 2015?

Nescent

How many eye colors would you like to see in 2015?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of the thirteen sets being released in January, there are only two eye colors - trans light blue and trans neon green. This is a disappointment to me, as I was looking forward to a wide selection of eye colors, like the first five years of Bionicle offered. What are your thoughts?

For the comments section: What specific colors do you wish were being added? Personally I would love to see Onewa's dark blue, and Whenua/Onua's dark green.

• Upvote 3

IetTsFQ.png

I honestly am a bit disappointed we only got two. Three would've been perfect, so two toa would share a color. And the light blue isn't even used for half of the toa, so it feels inconsistent/incomplete to me. I think orange would've been a good color. It's a nice warm color, but isn't bright red so people might not get the idea that they're evil (red eyes have represented evil in LEGO for a real long time).

• Upvote 3

I voted six colors, just for MOCing purposes. I'm not sure how each Toa would look with a unique eye color. For the Metru, it worked, because they had such a simple build and simple color scheme. The 2015 Toa are a lot more complicated.

Personally, I was hoping Onua had purple eyes. That would be amazing! Maybe give them to Gali or Tahu as well. I think it would have been nice, setwise, to just have one more color.

• Upvote 3

I chose three or four colors. Along with the colors that are returning next year, I would've like to have seen red and yellow return as well. I thought those were cool eye colors on the early sets and I would've liked to have seen them on 2015 sets too.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I voted six but then I realized that might be too much, so I actually would like three or four. :P Two warm and two cool colours is good for me. We definitely need some orange... and I could even go with pink or red, and I think yellow would be nice too though it may be too similar to the neon green.

I think a good compromise would have been the existing yellow-green eyes for Lewa, Gali and Onua, red-orange eyes for Pohatu and Tahu, and the light blue for Kopaka.

I think Tahu looks pretty sweet with blue eyes, though I definitely wish Pohatu had his classic red-orange.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I picked three or four. The two we've got are decent (although I wish the blue eyes were Tr. Flu. Blue rather than Tr. Light Blue, so they'd glow under a blacklight), and I think adding Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange to the mix would be sufficient to round out the red-green-blue trifecta (plus, it'd provide a nice "evil" eye color for Makuta if he shows up in a set). If we get a fourth eye color, that'd be a nice bonus, but I can't think of any that would be quite as nice or essential as those three. Tr. Medium Reddish Violet might be a good one since it would contrast with the other three eye colors and allow for a Makuta set who closely resembles his pre-transformation appearance in the Legend video, though it would not fluoresce under a blacklight.

Having six different eye colors in 2001 and 2004 was OK, but I wouldn't consider it necessary, and it resulted in some simply awful eye colors like Tr. Green that simply didn't glow brightly unless you lit them from directly behind, at which point the light around the character would overpower the light of their eye color anyway.

Getting six eye colors as good as the Toa Mata's (well, the Toa Mata other than Onua) is unlikely, since Tr. Flu. Red (Tahu's original eye color) and Tr. Flu. Yellow (Gali's eye color) have both been discontinued. The only newer fluorescent colors that could be used in their place are Tr. Bright Orange and Tr. Bright Green. And I think those colors are so close to Tr. Flu. Green and Tr. Flu. Reddish-Orange that you might as well just use the latter two and skip the former two entirely.

It frustrates me how many people often seem to think a Toa having an eye color that matches their mask color is a good thing. That would be terrible in most cases because the eyes would utterly fail to stand out. Contrast is what you want in an eye color, and you don't really need six different eye colors to achieve that.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 7

I picked three or four. The two we've got are decent (although I wish the blue eyes were Tr. Flu. Blue rather than Tr. Light Blue, so they'd glow under a blacklight), and I think adding Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange to the mix would be sufficient to round out the red-green-blue trifecta (plus, it'd provide a nice "evil" eye color for Makuta if he shows up in a set). If we get a fourth eye color, that'd be a nice bonus, but I can't think of any that would be quite as nice or essential as those three. Tr. Medium Reddish Violet might be a good one since it would contrast with the other three eye colors and allow for a Makuta set who closely resembles his pre-transformation appearance in the Legend video, though it would not fluoresce under a blacklight.

Having six different eye colors in 2001 and 2004 was OK, but I wouldn't consider it necessary, and it resulted in some simply awful eye colors like Tr. Green that simply didn't glow brightly unless you lit them from directly behind, at which point the light around the character would overpower the light of their eye color anyway.

Getting six eye colors as good as the Toa Mata's (well, the Toa Mata other than Onua) is unlikely, since Tr. Flu. Red (Tahu's original eye color) and Tr. Flu. Yellow (Gali's eye color) have both been discontinued. The only newer fluorescent colors that could be used in their place are Tr. Bright Orange and Tr. Bright Green. And I think those colors are so close to Tr. Flu. Green and Tr. Flu. Reddish-Orange that you might as well just use the latter two and skip the former two entirely.

I realize that the darker colors don't illuminate as well, but I do think that they add a lot of character (not just dark colors, but a variety of colors). Even if they don't light up much, Onewa just wouldn't be the same without his dark blue eyes. The same goes for most of the Toa - Gali's trademark yellow eyes, dark green, what have you. I would much rather see some new colors, even if they don't fluoresce as well, simply for the diversity.

It frustrates me how many people often seem to think a Toa having an eye color that matches their mask color is a good thing. That would be terrible in most cases because the eyes would utterly fail to stand out. Contrast is what you want in an eye color, and you don't really need six different eye colors to achieve that.

I saw one guy say that he wanted red eyes for Tahu, but besides that all of the eye colors mentioned would provide decent contrast.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I realize that the darker colors don't illuminate as well, but I do think that they add a lot of character (not just dark colors, but a variety of colors). Even if they don't light up much, Onewa just wouldn't be the same without his dark blue eyes.

Wouldn't he? BIONICLE was never consistent about what eye colors it gave characters. For example, in the first three BIONICLE movies, heroic characters pretty much always had fiery reddish-orange eyes, except ice characters and water characters, who usually (but not always) had blue eyes.

In the 2004 BIONICLE comics, among other discrepancies, most of the Toa Metru had different eye colors than the sets — Vakama and Nokama had blue eyes, Whenua and Matau had yellowish green eyes, and Onewa had orange eyes. The 2005 comics gave Toa Hordika Onewa yellowish-green eyes and Toa Hordika Vakama yellowish-orange eyes. And most of the eye colors these characters had in the 2004–2005 comics and sets were different than the eye colors they had as Turaga sets in 2001–2003. Only Nuju and Whenua kept their blue and green eyes respectively across all sets and media, and Nuju's eye color as a Turaga set was a different shade of blue than his eye color as a Toa Metru or Toa Hordika set.

Even among people who DID strongly associate blue eyes with Onewa, I hardly think most would consider it a travesty if a future depiction of the character gave him a lighter eye color like Transparent Light Blue or Transparent Fluorescent Blue. In fact, some might consider it an improvement, since the original set's eyes did not reflect or funnel light through them very effectively. Uniqueness should not have to come at the cost of effective design.

I saw one guy say that he wanted red eyes for Tahu, but besides that all of the eye colors mentioned would provide decent contrast.

I wasn't talking about just people in this topic, though yes, people wanting red or reddish-orange eyes for Tahu is probably one of the most frequent such requests. I also see people suggest Tr. Bright Bluish Violet for the eyes of Onua and the Protector of Earth, which is similarly problematic.

Because of the quality of review photos and video that have been posted to date, some people might not realize this, but unless you have the Protector of Earth under very bright lighting, he looks almost entirely black. Transparent Bright Bluish Violet does not reflect or funnel light very well. I have him sitting beside me right now, and only by shining a bright light on him or holding him against a light-colored background does the purple color on his mask, arms, and legs really show. Only by doing both does it create substantial contrast — with just one or the other, you have to look intently for the purplish color of the limbs to even be very noticeable.

If his eyes were ALSO Tr. Bright Bluish Violet, they'd barely stand out from his mask at all unless you had a bright light overhead. And I can't think of any good reason why a tunnel-dwelling character should need a bright backdrop and bright lighting to look his best.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

I'd prefer six, but really only a few colors look good for eyes (trans light blue/trans medium blue, trans neon green, and trans neon orange/trans orange) so I could do with just three. Trans blue and trans red eyes just never seemed to look all that good, although trans green did turn out well on Onua and some of the other black sets, even if it wasn't that bright.

:music:

Trans yellow, trans pink, trans blue, trans red. Would be good inclusions

Edited by -The Doctor-
  • Upvote 1

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

Ideally I would want each one to have a different color but I know that isn't feasible. Three would be best I think, two is too few. Red or orange would be fine for a third. Green, blue, and orange I think is a well rounded trio.

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for three or four. I think two is a good start to the new line of sets, but I do hope to see at least a third one in the future, hopefully trans-purple or trans-orange. 

I imagine we'll see trans orange in the summer if they release a wave of villains.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I voted for three or four. I think two is a good start to the new line of sets, but I do hope to see at least a third one in the future, hopefully trans-purple or trans-orange. 

I imagine we'll see trans orange in the summer if they release a wave of villains.

I'm not too sure of it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. I'm more interested in seeing the usage of trans-purple brain stalks on future villains and possible future Onua sets.

Edited by Rooster Nui

I would love to see that violet somewhere down the line. Gimme like 20,000 armor bits in that color

bOCY.png

Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange is really the only color other than the existing Trans. Light Blue and Trans. Fluor. Green that I see a need for. A red–blue–green trifecta is good enough for most purposes and there aren't really many other good colors that aren't too similar to the existing ones to be worthwhile.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother