Roly's tiny art topic

Roly

Helo all, im Roly

I used to make bonkle art but stopped little after 2010, now since it's confirmated return I have been doing some art!

Let's start!

- Rahkshii and a Matoran

- Tahu, Master of fire

- Lewa, Master of Jungle

- Gali, Master of Water

- Pohatu, Master of Stone

- Lewa and Gali

- Ekimu -- Makuta -- Size difference with a Toa

- Pohatu and a dawn in Okoto

- Toa Krakua

- Kopaka's landing in Okoto

NEW ----

12/5/14

- Kopaka, Master of Ice -- No Cloth version

12/10/14

- Menagi, Master of Iron

- Piraka Zaktan

- Turaga Matau

will post as I do more!

1/7/15

- Pohatu and Kopaka

1/9/15

- Pohatu and a monster

- Pohatu and his golden mask

1/19/15

- New Tahu concept

Edited by Roly
  • Upvote 14

The style is good, but I'll have to agree that they all look kinda fat. (Ekimu and Makuta look too big and bulky to be any good at an intricate task such as mask-making.)

Especially Gali. It was way overdone on her, and her head is too tiny. One has to remember that she's an adept swimmer, and so would require the right sort of physique for passing quickly and smoothly through the water.

The one of both Gali and Lewa looks fine, though.

My overall favorites are the last two. Krakua looks great, and your shot of Kopaka's crash-site looks amazing!

Edited by ~T1S~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Wow! Really cool stuff. I really like the image of Kopaka's crash site and Pohatu with the dawn. While I do agree that some of your characters seem a little too chunky (I guess that is possible), I'd like to see some more environmental art, if possible. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Oh snap! Look at that sassy Lewa. B-) Kid I like your style. Oh and I guess it's all about that "Bass", now isn't that right Gali. *Wink wink*   ;)

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like you're going for that Polynesian style that I've seen a lot of people do, though I have yet to see someone do it on this... scale. (That [probably] wasn't a fat joke). :P Your style is very smooth and organic, and I really like all the little cloth bits you add in.

The Rahkshi appears very alien and threatening. I like what you did with the armor. The shading really adds to the almost carapace like design. One thing I also notice is that though it's holding a Matoran, it still looks like it could be balancing. That's no small feat for a drawing. :D

Tahu looks really imposing, I like the almost muscled look of his arms. The swords are also very cool and organic looking. I guess I might just be used to art with human proportions, but his head looks really small. I wish you added a bit more detail to reflect his set in the lower legs as well, as they seem so plain in comparison to the rest of him.

I really can't tell what's going on with Lewa's pose. I don't think the torso should naturally bend like that. :P Besides that, I think Lewa's my favorite of the group. The green armor overlaying the black looks really good and reminds me of a lot of my favorite artists. The detail on his legs is especially well done, and I love the colors on the axe. The little grin seems to be a bit much, but if that's your style...

I have to admit, it's really weird seeing a heavier set Gali. But once I get past that (and realize it's just as valid an interpretation as the thinner, sleeker Gali that is more common) and just enjoy the details, she's really well done. The cloth skirt-thing is a nice touch and really helps that tribal look she almost loses with all the shiny armor. The layering is great on her torso, but it does leave the plain thighs sticking out a bit. The clear armor is really cool. It's pretty much how I would like to draw it once I get around to it. :) Her axe is probably the best part. It's instantly recognizable, but still has a unique twist that looks even more sharp and dangerous, especially with that flashy yellow.

I guess I imagined Pohatu big, but not quite like this. :P The mask and tank arm really take the spotlight here, drawing attention away from the sparsely-armored left arm. The yellow joints underneath really sell it. The leg proportions seem a bit much and he ends up closer to sumo wrestler than runner, but hey, it's just as valid an interpretation. I wish the boomerangs had the flare you put into the other tools though, and he had a more interesting pose with them.

I do like the shot with Gali and Lewa. It shows a lot of character and it just seems like Lewa said/did something stupid and is sheepishly grinning as Gali tries to not laugh. The proportions are a bit more manageable here, and Gali looks more like I'm sure most of us picture her. Her curvy armor really helps the impression that she's a woman, and I like the little designs on the shoulders. The shading on the mask really catches my attention. It's understated, but shows a lot of depth and looks great. I'm a big fan of whenever someone uses the cloth, and Lewa over there is no exception. The blades coming over his shoulders are also pretty cool, and I'm glad you kept the layered armor and with black underneath from the others.

I guess Ekimu and Makuta are also personal interpretation, but I do like the way they look imposing and golem-like. They definitely would look good wielding a massive hammer and working in the forge all day. It's a shame they're so short. I thought they would tower over the Toa as massive deities, but this is more appropriate, I suppose. Makuta's mask is really cool and I like how you interpreted it from the animation. It's very alien and mystical, and is has great curves. :D

I like how glowy Pohatu looks in the dawn shot. I just wish there was a bit more shading in there. Some near blacks in in a few places to really make it look like he's glowing in the darkness as the sun rises would be great. I guess we'd miss out on all those cool details though. His torso armor does appear a bit flat, but maybe it is. Still loving the cloth. :) The headpiece looks almost like some kind of twisted magical wood, and that's awesome.

After seeing all the shiny and smooth '15 Toa, Krakua is a bit of a start. He looks very technical and ready to smash some villains (in accordance to the Toa Code, of course). The glowing lights add a bit of needed color, as does the cloth. The mask is really cool and instantly looks like a Suletu, but has a really cool style I haven't seen before. It's amazing how you got this out of that old MOC. The toes do seem a bit odd on such a high-tech looking Toa, but it's your style, right?

I hope you draw more of the Protectors, because this little glimpse in the Kopaka landing shot is really cool. Their masks look closer to the Arthron than the set masks, but it works. I like the facial features you put into the one on the right, and all the detail in both of them. The emotion is great; you can tell that something crazy just happened and they don't know what to do. The landscape is also really cool and the lighting is spot on. Smoke is pretty hard to draw without going overboard, but you did a great job here.

So, that's my detailed critique. :D I hope you'll upload these to Deviantart or something and get some more feedback, because they're really well done and you have a very unique style, somewhere in between artists like Demitsorou and Faybos, nearly human, but still very mechanical. I quite like it. :)

• Upvote 2

I'm gonna have to agree with everybody on saying that they all look 'big boned,' but that seems to be your style, and if that's how you like it then so be it! The Rahkshi is my favorite; you took a lot of creative interpretation and I think that paid off. I like the sunrise and Kopaka's landing pictures as well. They do a good job of capturing the 'mystery' feel that bionicle had early one (and now too, I suppose). 

Keep up the good work!

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

first of all thanks for the kind comments!

And yes, I like to draw characters bulky and heavy looking, specially robot characters

apart from that, I drew another Master! Kopaka!

tumblr_ng3gtmWtfE1rgx87xo1_1280.png

Here is a version without the Cloth! >>>>>>>  LINK

Edited by Roly
  • Upvote 1

I can't access the "clothed" Kopaka, but the "nude" one looks so much better than the set (also, it's really weird to use those terms here, especially for Toa :P)! I think his weapons are my favorite part. The staff is just amazing and looks dangerous (besides the little jingle bells there; someone's in the holiday spirit :P ), and the asymmetry and wideness of the shield really invokes his old shield a lot better. I like your shield a lot more than the set's. The bulky proportions fit Kopaka well (especially considering how his set looks isn't all that different), though they do make his head feel a bit small. The detailing everywhere is just as great as before, if not better, and I really like the torso. Would be nice to see how he looks with cloth though. :)

I can't access the "clothed" Kopaka, but the "nude" one looks so much better than the set (also, it's really weird to use those terms here, especially for Toa :P)! I think his weapons are my favorite part. The staff is just amazing and looks dangerous (besides the little jingle bells there; someone's in the holiday spirit :P ), and the asymmetry and wideness of the shield really invokes his old shield a lot better. I like your shield a lot more than the set's. The bulky proportions fit Kopaka well (especially considering how his set looks isn't all that different), though they do make his head feel a bit small. The detailing everywhere is just as great as before, if not better, and I really like the torso. Would be nice to see how he looks with cloth though. :)

thanks!

btw I fixed the links, can you see them now? I may stop using dropbox and move to Majhost

Yep, that did the trick! I was hoping he'd have some big shoulder pads like the set, but the skirt looks good too. I like the big belt.

You could also try Deviantart or Flickr. They both have comment systems and are much more reliable. I've moved all my stuff from Brickshelf (which is practically Majhost :P ) to one of those two.

I really like this style; it's cool to see your more filled-out versions of the characters. I noticed a couple strange aspects of the lighting in the Kopaka Landing one, though: the light cast by the left villager's "brain" doesn't reflect off their mask, and the smoke from the crater looks like it's coming from behind the crater, not in it, and doesn't obscure the stars.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I really like this style; it's cool to see your more filled-out versions of the characters. I noticed a couple strange aspects of the lighting in the Kopaka Landing one, though: the light cast by the left villager's "brain" doesn't reflect off their mask, and the smoke from the crater looks like it's coming from behind the crater, not in it, and doesn't obscure the stars.

Dangit you're right, I messed up the layer opacity in the smoke  coming from the crater. 

Hey, I know you! You're the one who used to post your art to Eurobricks, aren't you? Forgive me for not being more specific—I can be terrible with names.

Anyway, I'd say your new art is better than ever and remains as distinctive as always. Kind of surprised you haven't done Onua yet—I'd think he'd be perfectly suited to your bulky, muscular style. In any case, I can tell you've put a lot of work into maintaining the characters' design cues and individuality even as you radically change their proportions and flesh out the more skeletal set designs. So great work!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Fantastic work, love your versions of the Toa. The beefy style you employ in your portrayal of the characters is as unique and distinctive as ever. I really like that you gave so many of the characters toes! The idea of them going "barefoot" really suits the tribal feel of the 2015 story. Can't wait to see your portrayal of Onua!

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments! and I cant stop the bulkyness. a few days ago I drew a Piraka, Zaktan, here it is

tumblr_nga9pcfsUd1rgx87xo1_1280.png

and as well as an OC of Bionicle Gen2

http://40.media.tumblr.com/6715ac343ca67a36fa1faff865e9dd8f/tumblr_ng90cphgCZ1rgx87xo1_1280.png

I think he'd be more fit to be called Master of Magnetism or something

I'll post both of these and an extra one (Turaga Matau in the first post!)

Edit: One image linked; please keep embedded images to under 750 kB!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

Menagi looks awesome. I love the mask, and here's to hoping for purple eyes next wave!

Zaktan's looking good as well. Probably one of my favorite depictions of him. There's definitely a few references to the set, but you interpreted him so well. The big, bulky look doesn't quite fit him (maybe Reidak or Avak), but the rest of it is too perfect to dismiss.

Matau is very expressive. While still looking old, he looks mischievous, which is perfect. The details are simple, but great. The UDD necklace fits very well here.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing your drawing of Kopaka on Tumblr! Including the cloth on the robot characters is unique (usually it's exclusive to human Bionicle). Gali being heavier was a surprise but still works. Doesn't quite work as well on Pohatu though. (All 6 characters are technically athletic but Pohatu used to have a mask of speed.) One suggestion, if you have the glow, in addition to the gloy halo you should also incorporate some highlights on the stuff near it, like Pohatu's mask in the sunrise picture.

Ah still kicking I see.

I like your cleaner and thicker line art the most, though these are good for character concepts and the concept itself is the obvious star. Very much Darksiders, Roly. The tribal look always suited your chunky lovable Toa so I'm still a fan, especially with the personality on these chubs. The shaping on your armor and especially masks is great as always, and Gali's kaukau sticks out on the picture of her and Lewa because it's so well done. I can't see her without a blacksmith's apron though, but I have no problem with that either.

I remember back to our Pchat escapades and I wish you'd draw Bohrok and more obese Matoran..

Hello all! back again here

thanks for the nice comments! and good to see u again James! been a while. ever since MSN died we havent talked

anyways, drew a new thing! a tiny sketch with Pohatu and Kopaka headbutting!

tumblr_nhthw7cXiW1rgx87xo1_1280.png

Edit: Please use spoiler tags for storyline spoilers only.

-Wind-

OP Edit: Fixed the link! Im sure it's working now, erased any spoilers and put the picture under spoiler tag

Edited by Roly

thanks for the nice comments! and good to see u again James! been a while. ever since MSN died we havent talked

anyways, drew a new thing! a tiny sketch with Pohatu and Kopaka, the lego magazine said they headbutt eachother, so I thought it would be a fun picture!

pohatukopaka.png?_subject_uid=51381696&w

I think your link stopped working. 

On a side note:

I LOVE THIS! This is fantastic! I even downloaded a few for inspirations sake! 

I'm curious as to why you decided to draw some of them very thick in proportion?

Edited by -Windrider-

anyways, drew a new thing! a tiny sketch with Pohatu and Kopaka, the lego magazine said they headbutt eachother, so I thought it would be a fun picture!

On a side note:

I'm curious as to why you decided to draw some of them very thick in proportion?

Agh! again with the dead links. this happens a lot. thanks for noticing friend! I fixed the link to Pohatu/Kopaka's picture now

Today I did new pictures! while doing color practices. please check em up

Pohatu and a Monster:

tumblr_nhvm8xPGCK1rgx87xo1_1280.png

Pohatu and his Golden mask:

tumblr_nhvm8xPGCK1rgx87xo2_1280.png

(Pohatu is my fav im sorry)

Edited by Roly

On a side note:

Agh! again with the dead links. this happens a lot. thanks for noticing friend! I fixed the link to Pohatu/Kopaka's picture now

Pohatu and a Monster:

You're welcome! :D

How long do you usually spend time painting these?

On a side note:

Pohatu and a Monster:

The first one took me around... 3 to 4 hours i think? the second only 1 hour

I want to practice alot this year, so I can make many of these in short time. and wiht better details. 

oh and anwering your previous question on why i make them thick? I like it that way, and I kinda grew reading ABC warriors comics, where you had all these robots porting these huge muscles, looking imposing while somewhat flexible and movable. that really got me. 

On a side note:

Pohatu and a Monster:

The first one took me around... 3 to 4 hours i think? the second only 1 hour

I want to practice alot this year, so I can make many of these in short time. and wiht better details. 

oh and anwering your previous question on why i make them thick? I like it that way, and I kinda grew reading ABC warriors comics, where you had all these robots porting these huge muscles, looking imposing while somewhat flexible and movable. that really got me. 

That makes sense.

And regarding the style, I could see that too. I think it works actually. I like how its distinct from most common art interpretations of Bionicles. Keep trying bro, and you'll get there!  B-)

I like the style. There's a dynamism to it despite the thickness of the limbs; Zaktann particularly looks way more expressive in your art than I've ever seen him. Menagi is one of the best original Toa designs I've seen; he feels distinctive but not out-of-place or over-the-top compared to the original designs like many OCs. The only thing that I dislike is the way the mouths look on Lewa and Gali. There's something really unnerving about a fluid human-like smile on a very rigid and inhuman face. 

Edited by Latrodectus