Everything Is Awesome Receives Grammy Nomination

The nominees for the 57th annual Grammy Awards have been announced, and guess who made it on the list? That's right, Everything Is Awesome, from The LEGO Movie has been nominated for Best Song Written For Visual Media, along with I See Fire by Ed Sheeran (The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug), I'm Not Gonna Miss You by Glen Campbell (Glen Campbell, I'll Be Me), Let It Go by Idina Menzel (Frozen), and The Moon Song by Scarlett Johansson & Joaquin Phoenix (Her). The awards ceremony will be on February 8th, 2015, so we'll have to wait until then to see how it fares against the competition. Still, this will hopefully be the first of many nominations The LEGO Movie receives!

View the full article

• Upvote 3

It's cool that 'Everything is Awesome' got nominated for in this category. Though its not my favorite song out of all the nominees. That would be 'I See Fire.'

Though I think we all know that 'Let It Go' is going to win. :P

• Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

While we're on the subject of award nominations for The LEGO Movie, it might be worth pointing out that it (as well as Ninjago and LEGO Batman) picked up a few Annie nominations as well. They might not be as mainstream of an award as the Grammy's or Golden Globes, but they're a major event for those in animation. It's like the Oscars for animation.

Anyway, on the subject of the Grammy, my personal vote would go toward 'The Moon Song', but Frozen's unwavering popularity could still nab 'Let It Go' the win. I'd be okay with either of them.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I just... don't understand what makes it a good song. It's catchy, sure, but it doesn't have any real substance.

Ditto... I guess it was still popular enough to make the list, though. It definitely won't win (and it shouldn't). As you said, it has no real substance.

It's a very subversive song. There's the genuine, unabashed, blissful openness and acceptance, mixed carefully to make you cynically think at the same time, "wow, this is absolutely ridiculous and makes no logical sense." And you laugh at the contradiction and accept both sides to the truth.

• Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Doesn't it intentionally have no substance? Like, it's practically satire of empty generic pop music.

Honestly, that's why I'd like to see it win.

Its meta-comment on being a catchy song that parodies today's pop music and yet is itself a catchy music is what I loved in the first place.

That and the fact that my radio show is named after the song, so...

• Upvote 2

tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o2_500.jpg
tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o1_500.jpg

Come to think of it, shouldn't some of these (such as Let It Go) have been nominated at the last Grammy's instead? A few songs are from 2013... I guess it doesn't work that way?

BUT ANYWAY, it's a great song, but it doesn't stand a chance.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Come to think of it, shouldn't some of these (such as Let It Go) have been nominated at the last Grammy's instead? A few songs are from 2013... I guess it doesn't work that way?

BUT ANYWAY, it's a great song, but it doesn't stand a chance.

Did some quick research. Frozen was released on November 27, 2013. The eligibility period for the 56th Annual Grammy Awards was October 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013. The nominations were announced on December 6, 2013. So no, Let It Go wouldn't have been released nor would it have received enough sales and reception to have made it in last year's Grammy Awards.

• Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Untitled Self Portrait was clearly the best song from the movie.

Hands down, there is no dispute. :P

Unless you count Emmet's Morning. It's a shame that Music Without Words can't be nominated for anything. 

Frankly, while Everything is Awesome is cynical, ridiculous, and depressing, Let it Go is about a 10-year-old having a temper tantrum. It's like choosing between breaded fillet and fish sticks. At least Everything is Awesome tried for social commentary. I would vote for that. 

• Upvote 6

So two annoying songs (Everything Is Awesome and Let It Go), that if I hear one more time would make me want to kill someone, are being Nominated. And yes that is how I feel about those two song, they are so annoying and overused, that I keep hearing them EVERYWHERE.

(Well mostly Let It Go)

Edited by ShadowWolfHount
  • Upvote 2

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I kind of feel like they missed the point in nominating a song that, according to its own producer, "was supposed to be like mind control early in the film. It's totally irritating, this kind of mindless mantra to get people up and working." (My quote box is fouling up, but I just copy-pasted that from Wikipedia, if you want the source.)

I'd like it if "I See Fire" won, personally, but as long as they pass on "Let It Go", everyone wins.

Chimes of Hades, how I hate that wretched song... 

Edited by Dark_Stranger

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Untitled Self Portrait was clearly the best song from the movie.

Frankly, while Everything is Awesome is cynical, ridiculous, and depressing, Let it Go is about a 10-year-old having a temper tantrum.

just... what

putting aside that I love that song and frozen way too much, from an objective standpoint that's not even close to what the song's about, and it's way more poignant than Everything Is Awesome.

anyway I am not a fan of the lego movie theme song and while I thought said movie was completely brilliant I hope anything else wins. :P

• Upvote 1

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Frankly, while Everything is Awesome is cynical, ridiculous, and depressing, Let it Go is about a 10-year-old having a temper tantrum.

just... what

putting aside that I love that song and frozen way too much, from an objective standpoint that's not even close to what the song's about, and it's way more poignant than Everything Is Awesome.

Objective standpoint? Elsa uses her ice powers and freaks out at the prospect of her sister getting married - then everyone else freaks out because of the ice powers. Instead of owning up to her mistake and the fact that she has ice powers, she runs off and throws a big temper tantrum on the mountain side, making a big ice castle and plunging everyone else into winter just because she doesn't get what she wants. 

I know what the argument against this is going to be - the song is about feminism and not being stomped over. To do so ignores the context of the rest of the film. Elsa isn't out in the snow making an ice castle to rebel against some cruel tyrant - rather, she's out to punish everyone for not bowing to her wishes.

Later on the film does have some positive feminist messages. But that one scene is NOT. In fact, Elsa's temper tantrum actually helps the villain of the story to brand her as evil, which makes his plan to capture and kill her that much easier. If she had stayed and at least tried to explain things, she would be less likely to have been branded as a villain and her voice against the real villain would have had weight. That could have gained her the respect of the people, which would have been even more powerful than the coldest of winters. It's its own kind of power.

Refusing that power and running away doesn't make you powerful. It makes you powerless, or at least less powerful than you were. It's not a girl power song - the title of the song is "Let it Go". What is "it"? The power to be connected to and influence people. She's letting it go, rather than using it positively. She wants to be "one with the wind and sky" instead. Forget power.

And I know that "people-dealing power" is one of the more central tenets of feminism. The theory behind it all is that we communicate better and more readily form compromises, etc. (Funny how all that passed by me lol.) Therefore, we should be listened to more, be placed in positions of authority, etc, because we are more likely to consider everyone's thinking and select the better ideas and all of these other assorted benefits. None of that is represented in that song - in fact, the exact opposite is.

Anyway, that's enough rambling.  

• Upvote 1

Elsa uses her ice powers and freaks out at the prospect of her sister getting married - then everyone else freaks out because of the ice powers. Instead of owning up to her mistake and the fact that she has ice powers, she runs off

...Isn't the whole thing that she didn't know how to control her powers at that point? So if something outside of her control is what you call a mistake... Unless you consider her running off a mistake, (was it that unreasonable a thought that if she stayed she would be called a witch, evil etc.)
But regardless of these things being a mistake or not.

and throws a big temper tantrum on the mountain side, making a big ice castle and plunging everyone else into winter just because she doesn't get what she wants. 

I don't see how that's a temper tantrum; she made a pretty reasonable guess that it would be better her getting out of there (her safety), and I don't see how her making a big ice castle is bad; she didn't deliberately try & plunge everyone else into winter; it was a side effect that she wasn't aware of.

You can accuse her of not thinking things through, but she isn't really doing anything malicious out of anger, nor was she (at that point) being stubborn, ranting angrily; An emotional outburst yes? but it wasn't just a negative emotional outburst; she works through her sadness to a degree; but I don't see it comparable to an illogical temper-fueled tantrum.

I don't care in the slightest about the Feminism that is or isn't in this song; but it really isn't what I think can be called a tantrum.

She runs away for very good reason.  "Turn away & slam the door!" seems to be the most aggressive thing in it, & that seems to referring more to her feeling like she can't go back / that she needs to leave / her avoiding contact with others (when she was younger); but all of these things weren't illogical or over the top reactions based on what she knew.

As it is though, I don't really mind whether this song &/or Everything is Awesome gets a Grammy or whatever; I thought they were both good songs (I enjoyed them, although they were overplayed "just a bit" in places...), Everything is Awesome is intentinally a variety of things, so it's ironic; but many people liked it just out of it being catchy not picking up on all that, so I see that reason enough to be nominated for an award (it was well received).

But I've never payed much attention to such awards, so frankly the magical (in some cases) reasoning that different award systems doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.