Quest For The Popular Set: 2002 - The Swarms

Toa Malachives

Favourite set from 2002! Do not vote on two sets!  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello BZPower! I'm on holiday and bored so I decided to make a poll that I hope will make clear the most popular Bionicle set.

How it works: I am going to be going year by year making a poll on which there is an option for every set of that year and when I close them (probably in 1st January 2015) I will make a new poll consisting of the winners of each one which people vote on. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE TWICE ON A SINGLE POLL! Thank you :D!

I will not be counting: anything that isn't Lego, the Turaga Kabaya, any combiners that were not released by themselves (e.g. I will count Kardas but not the Toa Kaita), super rare things like the Piraka Kaita or Sand Tarakava and things like mask packs or Krana.

I will be counting: any standard sets in canisters or boxes, promotional (good/bad guy sets, click, ect), special editions (including combiners like Irnakk) and play-sets.

Keep in mind that these sets are in the forms they are in in that year.

Bionicle 2015: this will be only Gen 1 unless I decide otherwise.

Links to other years (will be updated as uploaded):

2001: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16148-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-of-all-time-2001-the-beginning/

2002: On it now

2003: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16164-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2003-the-challenge-to-the-nuva/?p=797011

2004: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16170-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-2004-metru-nui-and-silver/

2005: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16171-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2005-darker-tones-and-the-visorak/?p=797330

2006: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16173-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2006-yo-yo-piraka-and-old-matoran-given-new-life/?p=797400

2007: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16174-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2007-into-the-darkness/

2008: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16184-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2008-the-beginng-of-the-end/

2009: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16187-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2009-bara-magna/

2010: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16188-quest-for-the-best-set-2010-the-brown-dwarfs/

Feel free to point out anything I've missed or argue with what I will and will not be counting (and anything I've missed in those!)

A copy with very few differences, sounds like a Bohrok

Edited by Toa Malachives

Bahrag :)

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

Ah Gail Nuva, I remember it well

Seriously though, are you counting the Rahi Building kit or whatever that was? What about the System playsets, or the parts buckets without instructions included?

Edited by Akavakaku

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Oooh... Tough choice for me here. For this one I decided to go back to what I played with most and had a lot of fun with. That would undeniably have to be the Exo-Toa.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Exo Toa for the win.

Amazing build, great poseability, and overall a joy to play with.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I nearly chose the Exo-Toa, but the Bohrok were some of the best (if not the best) sets in my opinion. I voted for Nuhvok, but I wish there was an answer for "all Bohrok" since really I like them all more or less equally.

Fold up into balls? Check.

Swipe off the Toas' masks? Check.

Slap them with a Krana? Check.

Best collectibles? Check, Krana.

Super cool canister function? Check.

Awesome pieces for MoCing? Check, the eyes, teeth, arms, weapons, headplate, all indispensable.

Simply awesome looking and fun to pose? Check, Check.

And their amazing story makes me like the sets even more. For some reason, I can never have too many Bohrok...if I could afford it I would just keep buying more and more of them to have a bunch of swarms.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I voted Kopaka Nuva, but Kohrak is a very close second; & the Bohrok Va are very cute, but picking a favourite out of them is very hard.

As a group though, it's something like: Bohrok > Toa Nuva > Bahrag > Bohrok Va > everything else > Exo-Toa (although the Exo-Raptor or whatever it's called looks awesome)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I voted for Gahlok. Despite the Bohrok being clone sets, they're pretty awesome due to their ability of rolling up into spherical objects as well as launching their heads forward and being able to contain Krana, which are my second favorite collectibles next to Kanohi. I voted specifically for Gahlok because of the color scheme it has.

• Upvote 1

I was going to vote Exo-Toa, Bahrag or Nuhvok, but settled on the Boxor because I liked having a mainstream Matoran set at the time and it fit in really well with the online content from memory - or at least I had fun reliving those bits of the story at the time.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Exo-Toa was awesome. Onua Nuva was my favorite Nuva since Onua was my favorite Toa, despite the the strange tiki look of the Pakari Nuva. I didn't much care for that.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I didn't get the Boxor or Exo-Toa, which I really, really regret because I hear they are amazing and fantastic. So, with those two eliminated, the Bohrok were very awesome canister sets, and I would choose all of them in general if I could. But I settled on Kohrak.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Exo-Toa and Boxor.  Never liked the Nuva Kanohi, besides the Akaku.  I did like Lewa's katana, though...

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Boxor was my first 'titan'.  I remember screwing up so many times trying to build it the first time with my dad when I was like six... 2002 was a really good year all around, though.  The Exo-Toa is pretty neat, and the Bohrok are great too.  Still stuck with Boxor in the end.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Voted for Lehvak since he's my favorite, but all of the Bohrok were excellent sets, probably my favorites out of every year of Bionicle. They had great articulation, loads of functions, cool designs, and the Krana were fun to collect due to all of the different colors and designs they had. Even though I never got it, the Boxor also deserves a special mention for giving the Matoran more of a role in the story, since it allowed them to fight the Bohrok alongside the Toa.