Quest For The Most Popular Set: 2006- Yo yo Piraka and Old Matoran Giv

Toa Malachives

Favourite Set From 2006! Please do only vote for more than one set!  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello BZPower! I'm on holiday and bored so I decided to make a poll that I hope will make clear the most popular Bionicle set.

How it works: I am going to be going year by year making a poll on which there is an option for every set of that year and when I close them (probably in 1st January 2015) I will make a new poll consisting of the winners of each one which people vote on. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE TWICE ON A SINGLE POLL! Thank you :D!

I will not be counting: anything that isn't Lego, the Turaga Kabaya, any combiners that were not released by themselves (e.g. I will count Kardas but not the Toa Kaita), super rare things like the Piraka Kaita or Sand Tarakava and things like mask packs or Krana.

I will be counting: any standard sets in canisters or boxes, promotional (good/bad guy sets, click, ect), special editions (including combiners like Irnakk) and play-sets.

Keep in mind that these sets are in the forms they are in in that year.

Bionicle 2015: this will be only Gen 1 unless I decide otherwise.

Links to other years (will be updated as uploaded):

2001: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16148-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-of-all-time-2001-the-beginning/

2002: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16163-quest-for-the-popular-set-2002-the-swarms/?p=796972

2003: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16164-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2003-the-challenge-to-the-nuva/?p=797011

2004:http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16170-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-2004-metru-nui-and-silver/

2005: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16171-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2005-darker-tones-and-the-visorak/?p=797330

2006: On it now!

2007: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16174-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2007-into-the-darkness/

2008: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16184-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2008-the-beginng-of-the-end/

2009: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16187-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2009-bara-magna/

2010: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16188-quest-for-the-best-set-2010-the-brown-dwarfs/

Feel free to point out anything I've missed or argue with what I will and will not be counting (and anything I've missed in those!)

Malachives: Wow that's a lot of sets.

Zaktan: And promotionals.

Turaga Lhikan: I remember they good old days when I was a toa on Metru Nui

Zaktan: You're adopted, Lhikan.

Turaga Lhikan: D:

Malachives: You could have just told him that there were a lot of people who hate his set and how it was canonised, then how lots of people hate him because of it.

Turaga Lhikan: It was enough to get me my own Eljay review, do any of you have your own one of those?

Malachives: No

Zaktan: Most of the Piraka review was of me.

Malachives: True, so Zaktan wins and Turaga Lhikan is the loser!

Zaktan: Yay!

Turaga Lhikan: :(

Random BZPower member: this stuff still isn't funny but at least it's original this time.....

Edited by Toa Malachives

Vezon & Kardas - Not just because it comes with 3 solid titan sets, but because Kardas is seriously one of the best combiners LEGO has ever come up with. Well-designed, huge, and just generally awesome, it's definitely well-deserving of best of 2006.

Honourable mention to any of the good guys, those sets are pure genius 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

This was no challenge whatsoever, I knew what to pick as soon as I saw the topic title.

Axonn is hands down my favorite Bionicle set ever produced. The chest armor uses a genius design, his weapon and mask are iconic, and I still use a lot of his designs for MoCing - especially the legs, feet and hands. Just, there's absolutely no flaws with the perfection that is Axonn.

<3 Axonn 4 lyfe.

IetTsFQ.png

Axonn and Brutaka are two of the best Titans we've ever gotten.

They were big and beefy (a nice change from krekka and nidiki), had great color schemes, creative builds, unique masks and I might even take a risk and say they are easily in the top ten best large lego sets ever.

I agree. Which one was your favorite?

IetTsFQ.png

Axonn and Brutaka are two of the best Titans we've ever gotten.

They were big and beefy (a nice change from krekka and nidiki), had great color schemes, creative builds, unique masks and I might even take a risk and say they are easily in the top ten best large lego sets ever.

I agree. Which one was your favorite?

Between axonn and brutaka? That's like picking a favorite child! It can't be done. :)

• Upvote 1

Brutaka :)

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

I voted for Umbra because I actually quite like the set. I love the use of Hewkii and Matoro's swords as part of his weapon and the overall color scheme. I also like his uniqueness of having roller skates as feet. :D 

I don't know, but there is actually something about his set that makes me favor him out of all the 2006 sets.

as much as i absolutely love Brutaka's set, I'll have to say Kardas was just more awesome-er

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

This was a pretty good year as far as set designs were concerned. While the Piraka and Inika still had some clone issues, they were still great designs that were an improvement on previous iterations, which later years didn't quite do as well IMO.

But I was always a fan of Thok so I voted for him.

:music:

Kardas is a tempting choice, but I am disinclined to vote for combi models in these polls for some reason..

So then it boils down to a professed love for the beasts of BIONICLE's pasts or the truest set to carry the title "titan." That would be Vezon & Fenrakk and Brutaka. I think... to me, at least... Fenrakk has enough negatives to put it below the monstrous beauty that was Brutaka.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I put down Vezon & Fenrakk - I cannot count how many joyful hours I spent making the Toa Inika and Piraka battle each other, with Vezon always acting as the final boss. I kept playing with my 2006 sets right up until I moved away in 2009 (and even then, although Vezon had been taken apart, I still rebuilt the Toa Inika and Piraka to play with them from time to time).

2006 was my favorite year story-wise and set-wise. Aside from Vezon, Hewkii Inika was my second favorite; that color scheme. Seriously though, picking a favorite set from this year is like picking between two Reese Peanut Butter cups - they're both going to be amazing.

Axxon & Brutaka all the way! This was probably my favorite year of Bionicle. I loved the dark grittiness of it and the characters were so awesome. Of the Toa Inika, Jaller was my favorite story-wise but Nuparu was easily the coolest looking.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Piruk was actually pretty cool, but I voted Axonn, he seems better all around.

Even though Piruk has a fair amount of character & looks nice, he looks kinda damaged-dodgy but he was meant to, but still could be better.

Axonn was just awesome, the proportions, colouration, everything was very nicely executed.

But if Axonn didn't exist, it would have been Piruk, they're the only proper sets this year that I didn't feel immensely let down by.

Edit: line gaps are so large, that I actually prefer this being a larger font...

The Piraka & Toa Inika were both:

grim, grimy sets

replacement pieces were less useful: lower legs lost movement, upper arm/shoulders covered less, torso piece had less connections

+ gel pieces that didn't really suit them

+ gimmicky flashy lights

= 10 year old me was not really impressed, & those opinions haven't really changed in 8 years :/

I get they were trying to do something that looked darker, but I don't thin it worked out.

The rest of the Matoran looked odd, (Baltas 'shoulders' & thus arms didn't really sit properly), Kazi had highlights on his chest ... which aren't eyes but is he really supposed to glow there? 'cause that looked really strange. They are all broken (& repaired) Matoran, so they all look kind of funny but I think it went slightly to far; because they didn't feel as complete as say the 2004 Matoran (who felt like there back had dropped off)

Brutaka just seemed like a fat gold blob. With maybe 6 good pieces that weren't in plenty of other sets (the main thing about his pieces is that they are gold, & as that doesn't really thrill me, it didn't really offer much. Nice weapon & claws).

Fenrakk was pretty cool, but instead of putting in another Skakdi (Vezon has terrible build, oh he has a cape, that's new) they should have tried to cover up a bit more of his body or work on that tail (just a few more pieces on him would have been great), but that I couldn't just buy him alone kind of knocks him off. Even then Piruk feels that bit more complete than Fenrakk.

A very disappointing year for me, but it did play around with things a bit, & I think playing around with 'gel' pieces was a good idea even if I don't think it worked out. & Axonn, Brutaka, Fenrakk, & Kardas all seemed to have great ideas behind them, (Brutaka was way to bulky & gross colored, but the idea behind the build seemed great), Kardas was a great combiner for mostly great sets.

I still prefer Axonn over the Kardas combiner Set simply because I feel he has a higher ratio of good pieces to not-so-good-pieces.

Edited by Iblis

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Gold Good Guy, of course.

Or Piruk.  He was my first set, I think.  Was overjoyed to have that Mahiki.

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I never owned any of the titans from 2006, so I'm voting for Hewkii.  Brown may have been gone, but I like the gunmetal and Keetorange.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.