Quest For The Best Set: 2010 - The Brown Dwarfs

Toa Malachives

What was your favourite set from 2010? I would say don't vote for more than one set but you can't!  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello BZPower! I'm on holiday and bored so I decided to make a poll that I hope will make clear the most popular Bionicle set.

How it works: I am going to be going year by year making a poll on which there is an option for every set of that year and when I close them (probably in 1st January 2015) I will make a new poll consisting of the winners of each one which people vote on. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE TWICE ON A SINGLE POLL! Thank you :D!

I will not be counting: anything that isn't Lego, the Turaga Kabaya, any combiners that were not released by themselves (e.g. I will count Kardas but not the Toa Kaita), super rare things like the Piraka Kaita or Sand Tarakava and things like mask packs or Krana.

I will be counting: any standard sets in canisters or boxes, promotional (good/bad guy sets, click, ect), special editions (including combiners like Irnakk) and play-sets.

Keep in mind that these sets are in the forms they are in in that year.

Bionicle 2015: this will be only Gen 1 unless I decide otherwise.

Links to other years (will be updated as uploaded):

2001: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16148-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-of-all-time-2001-the-beginning/

2002: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16163-quest-for-the-popular-set-2002-the-swarms/?p=796972

2003: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16164-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2003-the-challenge-to-the-nuva/?p=797011

2004:http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16170-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-2004-metru-nui-and-silver/

2005: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16171-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2005-darker-tones-and-the-visorak/?p=797330

2006: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16173-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2006-yo-yo-piraka-and-old-matoran-given-new-life/?p=797400

2007: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16174-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2007-into-the-darkness/

2008: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16184-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2008-the-beginng-of-the-end/

2009: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16187-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2009-bara-magna/

2010: On it now!

Feel free to point out anything I've missed or argue with what I will and will not be counting (and anything I've missed in those!).

Nektann: My set's name is Piraka because I'm better than all of the Piraka combined.

Zaktan accompanied by the rest of the Piraka: Let's test your theory.

Nektann: Wait! No!

Vezon: Sorry I'm late, I bought Kardas with me!

*ten brutal seconds later*

*Zaktann stabs Nektann*

Random BZPower Member: Wow, that was short and lame. What's with the title anyway? "Brown Dwarfs"? What does that even mean?!

Toa Malachives: It's a play on words, a brown dwarf is a forming star that never became one and is sad and alone. It's because that Bionicle Stars were bad sets.

Matau: NERD!!!!

RBM (Random BZPower Memeber): Wow, that was a bad pun and another Ask Matau reference. Wow.

Toa Malachives: Well, thank you BZPower for all the votes and (perhaps) reading these bad skit things.

RBM: Wow, not even a link to Ask Matau?

Toa Malachives: The reference hardly did anything, anyway it's in the 2004 and 2005 polls.

RBM: Wow, your advertising now?!

Edited by Toa Malachives
  • Upvote 1

The Rahkshi actually hold a little more nostalgia for me than the Toa Mata do, and that's partially because 2003 was when I got into Bionicle (it's a miracle that I somehow got my hands on so many pre-2003 sets like I did), and it's for that reason that the Rahkshi Stars is my favorite of the 2010 sets, since it represents the point in time where I first got into Bionicle. 

Plus, much like my love for Hewkii Inika's color scheme, I really liked the Rahkshi Stars color scheme as well.

Not that I found any of them all that great, but if we must... :P

Yellow Rahkshi for what I sincerely hope are obvious reasons.

(Also was at least somewhat unique amongst all the humanoids, so points for that.)

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

They were all awful unposeable shrimps.

Tahu got my vote only because of the 2 Hau with axels.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Gresh.

Tahu: Gresh? Seriously?

Dark Blue: Well yeah, he had silver weapon recolors, mask recolor, awesome new armor piece - 

Tahu: Dude I'm Tahu and I had all that stuff too

Skrall: What about my awesome sword recolor?

Nektann: Hey but I'm a Skakdi

Tahu: Oh please Piraka you had like nothing new

Gresh: Guys shut up he already chose me

IetTsFQ.png

Eh, I thought these were all pretty awful, and the only one who's design was moderately good IMO was the Rahkshi because it was trying to do something a little different. Still, not exactly a high note for the theme to have ended with set-wise.

:music:

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised so few picked the Skrall - those green skrall swords are so cool, and brilliant for MOCing black/green characters.

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Literally everyone who isn't Nektann.

Nektann just looks off for a Skakdi.

Skrall has those cool blades,and looks all around.

Gresh has some kickin weapons and an amazing colour scheme.

Takanuva... He's cool, but the lack of gold. I suppose people didn't want to confuse him with golden tahu...

Tahu is my favourite character, so I'm kind of biased. The huge sword is amazing, and the two hau's are cool.

Rahkshi is just... oh my god I can't even. It's just so cool.

I'm surprised so few picked the Skrall - those green skrall swords are so cool, and brilliant for MOCing black/green characters.

The green swords were nice, but they weren't new - Tuma came with four of them. The black Kopaka sword was the real treasure with that set in my opinion, and a single recolor doesn't really compare to some of the other sets like Tahu and Gresh which came with lots of new pieces and colors.

IetTsFQ.png

Initial/default vote for me would have been Takanuva since he's my fav character basically, but went with the Rahkshi because it was really cool to have a Rahkshi I'd heard about years ago finally in set form (and I'm highly biased towards the colour too :P).

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Being the immense Tahu fan I am, the answer to this is obvious.

I didn't mind the Stars - they weren't what Bionicle should have got for their last line-up certainly, but they had charm to them. Some original designs were present that experimented with the very VERY limiting Av-Matoran design and at least the sets actually looked like what they were trying to represent.

For me, the combination of the bright red and old iconic Hau sells Tahu as the best set out of this very poor final line.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Stars were great... I don't get the excessive hate.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Well, after 10 years of sets that had increasing amounts of articulation I don't think people were too pleased that the final line consisted of unposable, smaller sets that consisted of around only 20 pieces each.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Well, after 10 years of sets that had increasing amounts of articulation I don't think people were too pleased that the final line consisted of unposable, smaller sets that consisted of around only 20 pieces each.

-NotS

I think this is a bit of an unfair comparison, though. For what they were, smaller sets, I think they were pretty good compared to other sets in their class such as the Av-Matoran, Shadow Matoran, and the Agori. Certainly it would have been better if we also had bigger sets and not just Matoran-sized ones in the final line-up, but when assessing the quality of the Stars sets, I don't think we should be any harsher toward their design because of their small size than we would be toward other sets of that size.

• Upvote 1

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

I think this is a bit of an unfair comparison, though. For what they were, smaller sets, I think they were pretty good compared to other sets in their class such as the Av-Matoran, Shadow Matoran, and the Agori. Certainly it would have been better if we also had bigger sets and not just Matoran-sized ones in the final line-up, but when assessing the quality of the Stars sets, I don't think we should be any harsher toward their design because of their small size than we would be toward other sets of that size.

Eh, some people really don't like the 2008 Matoran ... and well 2009...

The STARS were basically priced as medium sized sets, so whilst some of you don't take that into account; if there is a set which I think is alright, but they're asking for about 1 piece per dollar (in Australia), and most of the pieces are big and awkward...

The appeal somewhat goes away; they're the last chance at a Bionicle set for a while (yay we have a reboot coming in a few weeks!), & whilst they're better than the 2008 Matoran, or most 'normal' (not Titan or vehicle) sets in 2009; they still have very little use for MOCing, nor do they have great possibility, those arms and legs (and body piece) really aren't very useful & they aren't very different to pieces we've seen before them.

The sets did look kind of cool, but only in a few positions... and MOC use? Not much compared to most years.

I understand why they had all these limitations because of previous years, & I'm grateful that they (tried_ to give Bionicle a proper send off, even if it wasn't the greatest, they did put effort into it. But it still felt like the culmination of the failings of 20008 & 2009 rather than the culmination of the whole series.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Those are fair criticisms, especially since you obviously aren't much of a fan of the Av-Matoran design in general. However, I think that some people, who have no particular beef with say, Tanma, let their disappointment at only having small sets to close off the line color their assessment of the Stars sets themselves. And I don't think the price per piece was worse than the Agori, at least in the United States. Of course, the Agori may have been overpriced as well.

Edited by Toarobot18
  • Upvote 1

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

I think if we had gone into Bionicle's final line knowing that it would only consist of smaller-level sets, peoples expectations would have been lower and we would have been pleased with how creative some of the Stars designs were.

But of course, there were leaked pics and that really made people skeptical. At that point many people were not sure what would happen to Bionicle, and upon learning that this would indeed be the last wave for who-knows how long, they were inevitably disappointed in the showing.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Tahu.  I didn't really like grey/white/silver Takanuva, and Nektann/Piraka didn't really stand out.  Gresh wasn't bad.  Skrall had some neat pieces, and the Rahkshi had a neat build, but I didn't like their overall builds in the end.  Tahu looked pretty cool with the golden armor on, and I liked the new, huge, blended flame sword piece.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I picked Takanuva because of a number of reasons: cool color scheme, new Avokii (yay!), white Nuva armor, and I guess he just radiated pure nostalgia.

te0FrhT.jpg