Gali's Voice Actor

Fry

I'm not saying we can't have headcanons. I'm just saying that Gali should have a female voice actor because, you know, she's a woman? Just like the website and video and actual owners of her say she is? Just like she was in the first generation? 

I'm just saying: Gali is a female Toa and she should have a woman actor.

I would like to refer to you to my earlier post where I brought up Bart Simpson having a female voice actor.  Sometimes voice actors are cast for the opposite gender.  Doesn't happen too frequently but it occasionally crops up.  If the shoe fits, wear it IMO.

Also it tickles me pink that your avatar is a Cena one. 

Also why hasn't this topic been locked yet.  It's silly.  You're all silly.  I'm silly.  This is silly.

I know that. But why would they do that when they could just find some random girl and have her do it?

Also, Didn't I throw you through like three tables at TLC?

I dunno why don't they have a random dude play Bart Simpson?  Why did they need to get a random girl for an early trailer?  Why are you asking these questions?

Technically Cena put Seth through two tables.  There were an additional two tables that Cena and Seth went through together.  Either was that match was an overbooked cluster that wished it was as good as Harper/Ziggler, let alone ANY of the matches from NXT [R] Evolution.

I don't believe children think about these concepts as much or quite the same way as we do. We have to be mindful this is a children's play theme, and they can't please everybody. So far I think that the Lego Group is doing a great job of catering to the target audience with the return of this theme.

Edited by KopakaFan116
  • Upvote 1

Bart Simpson and Gali are two completely different characters. How a male can sound female is beyond me but if they can pull it off then kudos to them.

I didn't watch TLC but you're crazy if you think the main roster can't put on a show as good as NXT. Let all of those kids on NXT do what they did on RAW and Smackdown then we'll talk about them being good.  

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Not sure if this has already been stated, but Gali's voice is slightly higher than the others. The narrator seems to have been trying to do that as if he was aware of the fact that she was a girl. This suggests that either it's going to be told through the eyes of the narrator, or they're going to get a female actor in later. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I don't think children think about these concepts as much or in the same way as we do. We have to be mindful this is a children's play theme, and they can't please everybody. So far I think that the Lego Group is doing a great job of catering to the target audience with the return of this theme.

We are entering a new generation that is more in touch with these issues more than ever.  If they want to headcanon Gali as trans, I don't see what's so wrong.

Bart Simpson and Gali are two completely different characters. How a male can sound female is beyond me but if they can pull it off then kudos to them.

I didn't watch TLC but you're crazy if you think the main roster can't put on a show as good as NXT. Let all of those kids on NXT do what they did on RAW and Smackdown then we'll talk about them being good.  

I dunno how can Bart's VA sound male?  Some people can do different things with their voices.

Also let me get this straight.  You say you didn't watch TLC, but you're saying these things.  At no point did I say that the main roster couldn't put on a show that wasn't as good as NXT, but rather that [R] Evolution blew TLC out of the water.  Do you even watch NXT?  Do you tune in every Monday for RAW?  Raw has been so consistently terrible both in booking and match quality that I've completely stopped watching.  If you want to see another Brock match wasted on Cena then be my guest, but that doesn't mean that the booking has been objectively terrible and that Cena hasn't had a good match since Bryan/Cena way back during Summerslam 2013.

I would like to refer to you to my earlier post where I brought up Bart Simpson having a female voice actor.  Sometimes voice actors are cast for the opposite gender.  Doesn't happen too frequently but it occasionally crops up.

That actor was able to affect a convincingly male voice. From what I've heard, the actor Lego have used wasn't able to affect a convincingly female voice.

I would like to refer to you to my earlier post where I brought up Bart Simpson having a female voice actor.  Sometimes voice actors are cast for the opposite gender.  Doesn't happen too frequently but it occasionally crops up.

That actor was able to affect a convincingly male voice. From what I've heard, the actor Lego have used wasn't able to affect a convincingly female voice.

Perhaps this was because that this was a trailer, does not reflect the final product and is just a way to hype people into saying "MY BODY IS READY" and "TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT BRIGHT LIGHTS HYPE CROWDS EVERYBODY GET DOWN!", and they didn't want to drop the money on a different VA specifically to read off a few lines for a teaser trailer?

Also >implying that all females sound girly

Perhaps this was because that this was a trailer, does not reflect the final product and is just a way to hype people into saying "MY BODY IS READY" and "TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT BRIGHT LIGHTS HYPE CROWDS EVERYBODY GET DOWN!", and they didn't want to drop the money on a different VA specifically to read off a few lines for a teaser trailer?

How many movie trailers use different actors to the ones in the full movie?

Regarding your last comment, are you saying you don't want one of relatively few female characters to sound female?

How many movie trailers use different actors to the ones in the full movie?

Regarding your last comment, are you saying you don't want one of relatively few female characters to sound female?

How many move trailers are produced by big budget hollywood studios?  How many movie trailers actually show on TV and in theaters that represent a completely finalized product that has completely gone through post and are ready to be released?

Me?  Honestly?  I don't give two bits about this at all.  I just think people are being dumb all around on both sides of the camp.  If Gali sounds female?  Sweet.  Sounds good.  If Gali sounds male?  Sweet.  Why not? 

How many move trailers are produced by big budget hollywood studios?  How many movie trailers actually show on TV and in theaters that represent a completely finalized product that has completely gone through post and are ready to be released?

Most trailers are at least 90% of what will be in the finished product.

If Gali sounds male?  Sweet.  Why not?

Because she's meant to be female.

• Upvote 1

Most trailers are at least 90% of what will be in the finished product.

At first you used movie trailers.  Now you're saying trailers in general.  Which one is it?  Do you think that LEGO really has the budge that most hollywood studios spend on AAA movies?

Well regardless of gender we can certainly say she's not interested in anybody (no canon love hehe)

I fail to see what a terrible story retcon that Greg pulled has any relevence to the current discussion.

Sorry, was just trying to make a joke, since the gender/sexuality thing is being discussed. I'll stay more on topic though

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

At first you used movie trailers.  Now you're saying trailers in general.  Which one is it?  Do you think that LEGO really has the budge that most hollywood studios spend on AAA movies?

I still meant movie trailers, though given that Lego are one of the richest toy companies in the world, spending a bit to advertise an important upcoming line is hardly beyond them.

Really.

• Upvote 1

I still meant movie trailers, though given that Lego are one of the richest toy companies in the world, spending a bit to advertise an important upcoming line is hardly beyond them.

They are not going to spend more money than neccessary on a hype video for a what is still technically a Technic brand and one of the more unpopular ones at that.  Also >implying Bionicle is important and/or a major brand.

Really.

Yeah really.  I figured that your bigoted statement didn't deserve a real response.

They are not going to spend more money than neccessary on a hype video for a what is still technically a Technic brand and one of the more unpopular ones at that.  Also >implying Bionicle is important and/or a major brand.

Bionicle almost single-handedly saved Lego from bankruptcy, lasted continuously for ten years and had four movies made. How is that not important?

Maybe this version won't be as colossal as the last, but that's not a reason to cut corners.

Yeah really.  I figured that your bigoted statement didn't deserve a real response.

Please explain the bigotry in saying that a female character should have a female-sounding voice.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle almost single-handedly saved Lego from bankruptcy, lasted continuously for ten years and had four movies made. How is that not important?

Maybe this version won't be as colossal as the last, but that's not a reason to cut corners.

Bionicle might have lasted ten years, but after the first five it was a massive, bloated husk of its former self that had so many continuity snarls that it should have been put out of its misery years before it finally ended.

Also [citation needed] on Bionicle saving Lego from bankruptcy because that sounds like a load of crock.

Please explain the bigotry in saying that a female character should have a female-sounding voice.

There's this thing called being trans.  A quick google search should be able to tell you the rest.  Otherwise you could read back over pretty much every other comment in the thread.

Also [citation needed] on Bionicle saving Lego from bankruptcy because that sounds like a load of crock.

It's 100% true. The book Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry by David C. Robertson, about the LEGO Group's near-collapse in the early naughts and their amazing recovery (which has now made them the largest and most successful toy company in the world), goes into a lot of detail about the BIONICLE theme's importance to that recovery, and I highly recommend it to all BIONICLE fans.

Basically, LEGO thought they were on the road to recovery after their profits in the 90s had taken a tumble, thanks to the success of LEGO Star Wars and subsequent licensed themes. But as it turns out, depending on these licensed themes was not a reliable business strategy. In 2003, there was no new Star Wars movie. There was no new Spider-Man movie. There was no new Harry Potter movie. And sales for those themes immediately took a nosedive.

"By late 2003, the LEGO Group's leaders finally began to concede that the glowing success of LEGO Star Wars, as one executive put it, was ultimately a 'thick, fat layer of cosmetics' hiding the raw blemishes of a sickly core business. By November of that year, it was apparent that all the rouge and mascara had melted away. Without a new Star Wars movie, LEGO couldn't reprise the the line's explosive growth, and sales rapidly lost altitude" (p90)

"By the end of 2003... LEGO was running a negative cash flow of DKK 1 billion ($160 million) and had racked up debt of DKK 5 billion ($800 million). Although 2003 brought the biggest deficit in the LEGO Group's history, 2004 was forecast to be even worse, as the company's net loss was expected to double to DKK 1.9 billion (about $300 million).

"At least over the short term, there was no possibility that LEGO might grow its way out of the debacle. In early 2004, an internal survey of the company's entire product portfolio revealed that 94 percent of LEGO sets were unprofitable. Only Star Wars and BIONICLE kits were making money. Not only had LEGO sustained the largest losses, on a percentage basis, among toy makers, but it was by far the industry's least profitable brand." (p98)

“In 2003—the year the rest of LEGO came crashing down—BIONICLE’s soaring sales accounted for approximately 25 percent of the company’s total revenue and more than 100 percent of its profit (as the rest of the company was tumbling to a net loss), making it a financial anchor in turbulent times.” (p155)

Even in Christian Faber's own words, "BIONICLE is the theme that saved LEGO". In his words, "without the revenues from Bionicle to carry them through the crisis years of 2003 and 2004, the company would not have survived." This is not mere speculation. This is backed up by solid financial data.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 10

Bionicle might have lasted ten years, but after the first five it was a massive, bloated husk of its former self that had so many continuity snarls that it should have been put out of its misery years before it finally ended.

As much as I might agree, that's essentially a statement of personal opinion/taste. Fact is, Lego considered Bionicle important enough to keep it going for a long time.

It was their best-selling line for at least four years (possibly six if it did the same in 2001 and 2006) when they were in trouble.

If not that, what else would you credit their non-collapse to?

There's this thing called being trans. 

If Gali was a transgender character, then a case could be made for a voice that was not explicitly female. But what has there been so far to indicate that she is transgender?

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

re:Bionicle saved Lego: Most of these factors indicate that Bionicle was really only making dat bank roll during 2001-2006, which I would actually look into the hard numbers before coming to any sort of definitive conclusion about just how successful it really was and how much it helped.  At any rate it specifically mentions 2003-2004 as the crisis, which means that Bionicle was only truly floating the entire Lego boat for two years, or one fifth of its active shelf life.  Not exactly a good ratio.

And at any rate this is just one big bunny trail and the point is get your panties out of a twist about Lego choosing to save some money and not hiring a specific female voice actress for a teaser trailer.  Y'all are just being silly.

There's this thing called being trans. 

If Gali was a transgender character, then a case could be made for a voice that was not explicitly female. But what has there been so far to indicate that she is transgender?

To be honest?  Nothing has been shown in canon to suggest that Gali is trans.  I still don't get why people are all up in a twist about the male voice actor for a female character since it's not like we're breaking any serious ground either in terms of social progression or any sort of new ground you want to conjure up.  If people want to headcanon Gali as trans because of this, I don't see why they can't do that.

I fail to see why a teaser trailer is getting so many people worked up on both sides of the camp.  It's a teaser trailer and not a true representation of the final product.  Stop being silly.

• Upvote 1

re:Bionicle saved Lego: Most of these factors indicate that Bionicle was really only making dat bank roll during 2001-2006, which I would actually look into the hard numbers before coming to any sort of definitive conclusion about just how successful it really was and how much it helped.  At any rate it specifically mentions 2003-2004 as the crisis, which means that Bionicle was only truly floating the entire Lego boat for two years, or one fifth of its active shelf life.  Not exactly a good ratio.

That doesn't mean it wasn't massively successful. Less so towards the end, but its achievements aren't invalidated by having more mediocre results in later years.

The main reason BIONICLE was "only truly floating the entire Lego boat for two years" is because in 2004 LEGO hired a new CEO, Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, who finally got the company's act together and helped them to produce other successful themes like LEGO City (which remains one of the most successful LEGO themes to this day) instead of investing in so many disastrous money sinks like Galidor and Explore. But BIONICLE doesn't have to be the LEGO Group's ONLY profitable theme to be important to their bottom line. Ninjago has been an extremely big deal for them, and they've never had to depend solely on it because as long as it's been around they've also had LEGO City bringing in money. Next year it's getting a massive new wave and a third handheld video game, and the year after that it's getting a theatrical movie.

I'm sure there will continue to be disappointments with the new BIONICLE for many people, but it's not for lack of caring on the LEGO Group's part. They have already poured a LOT of time and money into promoting this theme. Most years, LEGO has lots of different themes on display at their Comic-Con booths, with an emphasis on licensed themes from popular culture. But this year the entire New York Comic-Con booth, the entire panel (attended only by invited guests who received tickets to the event courtesy of the LEGO Group), all the event-exclusive items, and a one-of-a-kind building event afterwards were dedicated exclusively to the BIONICLE theme.

BIONICLE may no longer be the LEGO Group's bread and butter, but it's certainly no small potatoes.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 7

At any rate it specifically mentions 2003-2004 as the crisis, which means that Bionicle was only truly floating the entire Lego boat for two years, or one fifth of its active shelf life.  Not exactly a good ratio.

Aanchir's quotes don't say much about 2001 and 2002, but we do know that Bionicle was the best-selling line in 2002 and that was also its most profitable year of all. So it almost certainly played a big part then as well.

To be honest?  Nothing has been shown in canon to suggest that Gali is trans.

Which invalidates your argument that she shouldn't need a female voice on the grounds that she's transgender.

I still don't get why people are all up in a twist about the male voice actor for a female character since it's not like we're breaking any serious ground either in terms of social progression or any sort of new ground you want to conjure up.

It's no particularly great deal to me, but I do think a character's actor should at least reflect what gender they are.

I still don't get why people are all up in a twist about the male voice actor for a female character since it's not like we're breaking any serious ground either in terms of social progression or any sort of new ground you want to conjure up.

It's no particularly great deal to me, but I do think a character's actor should at least reflect what gender they are.

Why does it matter?

Edit because this is truly the crux of the matter and the source of your bigotry.

Edited by Seth Rollins

About the "assuming a character is cis is by default is hurtful and marginalizing" thing.

"Cis" people are the default. Less than 1% of the world's population is transgender.

It's just not something that occurs to most people when creating characters, and you can't blame someone for forgetting to include gender-variant characters. Statistics back it up.

• Upvote 8

About the "assuming a character is cis is by default is hurtful and marginalizing" thing.

"Cis" people are the default. Less than 1% of the world's population is transgender.

It's just not something that occurs to most people when creating characters, and you can't blame someone for forgetting to include gender-variant characters. Statistics back it up.

Why is people headcanon Gali as trans so offensive to you that you have to speak up against it?

Also lol cis is default and terrible wording and language.

Why is people headcanon Gali as trans so offensive to you that you have to speak up against it?

Also lol cis is default and terrible wording and language.

cis, straight, asian, and male is the default mate

that's the largest demographic on earth

it's life man you shouldn't tell others to speak differently because MUH FEELANS

be a vertebrate!

• Upvote 4

Why does it matter?

Edit because this is truly the crux of the matter and the source of your bigotry.

Do I really need to explain why a female character should be played by a female actor?

Was it 'bigotry' that Gali, Hahli, Nokama and Roodaka were all played by female actors?

• Upvote 4

Do I really need to explain why a female character should be played by a female actor?

Was it 'bigotry' that Gali, Hahli, Nokama and Roodaka were all played by female actors?

Yes you do considering that there have been numerous instances of VAs playing roles of the opposite gender.

At no point did I claim it was bigotry when female voice actors play female characters.  Nor did I say that male VAs playing male caracters was bigotry.  All I've said is that complaining that Gali was voiced by a male narrator was silly, and demanding that VAs play their respective genders and sex is silly and bigoted.

• Upvote 2

you realize 1% of the worlds population is still seventy million, right

thats still a significant number and thats just the people who have had the courage to come out

do we really need to explain again that the point is that, in this specific animation, gali was voiced by a male actor, and based on that, trans women decided to headcanon one single character as a trans woman? which still makes her female? do we really need to explain that again?

id rather you explain to us why its such a big deal and why yall are so bent out of shape about us having a literally harmless headcanon

Edited by Courtney
  • Upvote 5

bionicle is trans culture