[BFTGM] Siren of the High Seas

Makaru

Siren of the High Seas

15918173162_277d1f2b76.jpg

15918534442_3663bce175.jpg

15731508890_ac807641de.jpg

[Full Flickr Gallery with WIP shots]

Be wary, those who travel to Okoto by way of Mermaid’s Trench!

Local rumors boast of a valley filled with untold treasures just beneath the glass-like calm. One thousand Lords’ ransoms amassed by the victims of the beautiful but deadly Merfolk who reside in the trench.

They are led by Siren. With her Typhoon Pike, she sinks any crew foolish enough to trespass her waters and makes them a part of her permanent collection.

---------------------

Siren is my entry for the Battle for the Golden Mask contest, and a long-planned spiritual successor of an older MOC, Fanglyfuss. I first set out to make a fish with a larger under-bite like how most species of actual angler-fish usually have. I then loosely based the rest of the design on this piece of concept art.

The silver tail works thematically, but I'm not too pleased with adding another colour on an already colour-heavy MOC. Her rear shoulder armor is rather poorly constructed and something I would like to fix now that I have no contest deadlines looming on me. I also need to rework the arms slightly so that she can actually hold her pike in dynamic shots.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 12

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Love the clean aesthetic.  The mouth is very well-designed.  I see your concern about the tail; wasn't there a blue fin piece from a Glatorian or a Hero at some point...?  Either way, excellent job here.

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I love this lesbian sushi

This is easily the best feedback I've been given on anything in my entire life.

I see your concern about the tail; wasn't there a blue fin piece from a Glatorian or a Hero at some point...?

Kiina sort of did? It looks more like a claw than a fish fin and FAR too small to use here. I also never owned Kiina so that's a minor issue too.

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

This is easily the best feedback I've been given on anything in my entire life.

I see your concern about the tail; wasn't there a blue fin piece from a Glatorian or a Hero at some point...?

Kiina sort of did? It looks more like a claw than a fish fin and FAR too small to use here. I also never owned Kiina so that's a minor issue too.

Hmm, gotcha.  That's odd, I remember seeing a blue fin or shield from somewhere...guess not!

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Orange+Caramel+Catallena+GIF+(4).gif

I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway.

Edit: Please stay on-topic.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I really really like the concept of the figure but I feel like the execution feels a lot to be desired. What bothers me most by far is the gap in the side of the torso and the positioning of the fish eyes. As it is right now, I don't think it's going to have a huge field of vision, and fish as a rule don't have forward facing eyes.

A simple solution to both problems would be this, easily doable with a couple system dishes and some clip/t-part assmblies, since you do actually have connection points free there:

Fdjbn4E.jpg

The overly long thumb spikes and inexplicable usage of dark grey in the hands also strikes me as awkward. Also, while the mask fits the figure fine I would personally have liked to see a scratch built head, more cute and less alien, to further emphasize the contrast and up the shock factor when the maw is revealed, but that's just a nitpick I guess.