Theory about the 2015 animations

ALVIS

I posted this theory on Tumblr a few days ago, but I think I ought to share it here, too, since it makes a great difference in judging the new online animations. Here's the original text, modified from Tumblr:

While avidly devouring the BIONICLE 2015 animations, I couldn’t help but notice one thing: there’s only one voice actor. Every character (even Gali) is voiced by the same guy, just in slightly different intonations.

This oddity, combined with the consistent use of the imperfect tense (“Lewa, Toa of Jungle, was cutting through thick woodlands”), and the emphasis on “the mythical island of Okoto”, seems to suggest one thing:

BIONICLE 2015 is being presented as a story. Not just a story, but a story being told or read to an audience. This would explain why the narrator and characters have the same voice, why the narrator explains the characters’ thoughts and actions, and even why the dialogue is so fast-paced.

Now, as for who’s telling the story… who knows? That’s up to us to decide.

Those of us who are obsessed with clarifying every last detail of G1 should prepare for a very different experience in G2. It's going to be much looser and less clear about what's canon and what isn't. Maybe everything is canon; maybe nothing is canon. Essentially, if we S&T folks want to enjoy G2, we need to loosen up and just go with the flow.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 6
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I've heard many suggest that the narrator is the Protector of Fire.

I'd be more inclined to think that the "baby Protector", grown to old age, is passing on the oral tradition to his own descendants, although that's just fanciful thinking and there's been barely anything to indicate it being the case.

• Upvote 5

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

No, i totally agree. Gen1 had a very hardline canon, with GregF on hand to clarify any snarl-ups. Gen2 looks to be simpler, aiming more for the style of a myth or legend than the more down-to-earth tone Gen1 had. In short, Gen1 had a real-time treatment of history being made, while Gen2 is the myth created being told again. Like Vakama said: "Gathered friends, listen again to our legend of the BIONICLE".

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'd be more inclined to think that the "baby Protector", grown to old age, is passing on the oral tradition to his own descendants, although that's just fanciful thinking and there's been barely anything to indicate it being the case.

That's what I've been thinking. Given his apparent fascination with the mighty heroes that have crash-landed on his home-island, it wouldn't surprise me if the little guy grew up to be Okoto's Chronicler.

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Your theory reminds me of something. A game I think, but I can't pin down which on exactly...

This storyteller seems to obsessed with the Vahi though.

#VakamaAsNarratorConfirmed

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Ekimu telling the tale? Nobody?

Of course not. The guy's in an endless coma.

BUT he can wake up, can't he? I thought that's why the Toa were looking for the Mask of Creation... to awaken him.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

BUT he can wake up, can't he? I thought that's why the Toa were looking for the Mask of Creation... to awaken him.

We don't know anything about WHY they're looking for it, other than to keep it out of the hands of the villains. Technically, we've only seen promos so far, and haven't truly dived into the real heart of the story. 

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

The Protectors could have put up some audio recording equipment and listened to his mutterings while he was asleep. 

They put him in a coffin and buried him.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Where was it stated he was buried?

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Where was it stated he was buried?

It wasn't? Dunno where he got that.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Where did it state it was a crypt?

The ever-present Unreliable Narrator theory, hmm? Possible, but not likely. If the narrator is an in-story character, as implied by the brief moment in the animation, then they were present for a lot of the in-story events and knew other people who knew the parts they didn't. 

Where did it state it was a crypt?

It wasn't stated. But the location of the coffin was undoubtedly some sort of tomb.

Fact is, Ekimu is more or less considered dead, and so the Protectors put his body in a box and locked it away. "Buried" is a quick, familiar term that describes that perfectly.

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

*Earth time: 3 years in future*

"And that is how our dear Toa Masters, defeated the Great Evil! Now join me friends, as we make history that is Bionicle!" -Vakama

*Agori and Matoran fortify Tesara to defend it from an oncoming Skrall rampage*

*Earth time: the Gen1 serials continue*

There you have it folks, Okoto is a made up story told by Vakama before a Skall battle. :P

Thats how the 2 are connected hehehe

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

The Mask of Creation was blown clear off Ekimu's face after he knocked the MoUP off Makuta's. It is lost, and he is left in a coma. The Protectors find his mask-less body, hear the prophecy being whispered to them, and carry him to a safe place where he can sleep/recuperate without being in danger. They put a protector mask on his face to preserve his modesty (i guess it's better than having him bare-faced), and go back to their lives until the Skull Spiders attack, forcing them to call the Masters in the ceremony Ekimu described to them. The Masters crash down, the Protectors tell them their problems and how the Masters can solve it, then help them find the Masks of Power.

That's as far as we've gotten.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The Mask of Creation was blown clear off Ekimu's face after he knocked the MoUP off Makuta's. It is lost, and he is left in a coma. The Protectors find his mask-less body, hear the prophecy being whispered to them, and carry him to a safe place where he can sleep/recuperate without being in danger. They put a protector mask on his face to preserve his modesty (i guess it's better than having him bare-faced), and go back to their lives until the Skull Spiders attack, forcing them to call the Masters in the ceremony Ekimu described to them. The Masters crash down, the Protectors tell them their problems and how the Masters can solve it, then help them find the Masks of Power.

Yeah. Basically, this. But why put him in what looks like a tomb, though? The coffin with the heavy covering. seems a little too "final" for a "get well soon" place. That's just my take on it.

• Upvote 3

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I agree. G2 is made to be simple and clean. That's why there is no mask names, no named villagers, no sub-powers and stuff. Unfortunately I like all that but oh well, I am happy Bionicle is back. I just hope they call the mask of time the Vahi

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Yeah. Basically, this. But why put him in what looks like a tomb, though? The coffin with the heavy covering. seems a little too "final" for a "get well soon" place. That's just my take on it.

Well, if they know he won't wake up without certain conditions being filled, why not? It's not like he'd wake up unexpectedly, bang his noggin on the inside of teh tomb and go insane, is it?

Well, if they know he won't wake up without certain conditions being filled, why not? It's not like he'd wake up unexpectedly, bang his noggin on the inside of teh tomb and go insane, is it?

It's more just the idea of putting someone into a stone box sealed with a carved, gold lid.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I agree completely with what you've been saying, T1S - the nature of Ekimu's burial would indicate that the Protectors aren't exactly expecting him to wake up any time soon. Makes sense.

However, I think it's unlikely that he's considered dead. The story is simplified a bit, and I think the imagery or concept of a sarcophagus is what the writers were trying to convey rather than realism.

All that said, why are we even discussing this? I don't see how whether or not the Protectors think he's dead would impact his candidacy as narrator (which is, IMO, slim).

• Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I agree completely with what you've been saying, T1S - the nature of Ekimu's burial would indicate that the Protectors aren't exactly expecting him to wake up any time soon. Makes sense.

However, I think it's unlikely that he's considered dead. The story is simplified a bit, and I think the imagery or concept of a sarcophagus is what the writers were trying to convey rather than realism.

All that said, why are we even discussing this? I don't see how whether or not the Protectors think he's dead would impact his candidacy as narrator (which is, IMO, slim).

Someone suggested that Ekimu is the narrator, and I was explaining why that's highly unlikely. Unless Ekimu is some sort of god, then there's little to no way of him knowing what's going on around him while he's asleep.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Yeah, I always thought this was the case, and they establish it pretty early in episode 1 as the Protector of Fire tells the story to his son. But the rest of the episodes don't make it quite clear if it is a narrator or the characters speaking, and that's what is confusing to some I'd say.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Someone suggested that Ekimu is the narrator, and I was explaining why that's highly unlikely. Unless Ekimu is some sort of god, then there's little to no way of him knowing what's going on around him while he's asleep.

Unless this is all Ekimu's dream.

Although Mata Nui did have awareness of events while he was asleep, but that may be a special case. Do note that Ekimu is speaking the prophecy while in the crater, but when he is placed in his resting place he isn't talking anymore. Might be that is coma took a little time to take full effect.

Finally, we don't know what will wake the guy. It's possible that he's asleep from losing his high-powered legendary-level mask, and the Protector mask is too weak to bring him back, but it would keep him alive. Someone would have to open the thing to switch the masks, and meanwhile keeping him in that box prevents someone from taking off the Protector mask and killing him.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

Unless this is all Ekimu's dream.

Although Mata Nui did have awareness of events while he was asleep, but that may be a special case. Do note that Ekimu is speaking the prophecy while in the crater, but when he is placed in his resting place he isn't talking anymore. Might be that is coma took a little time to take full effect.

Finally, we don't know what will wake the guy. It's possible that he's asleep from losing his high-powered legendary-level mask, and the Protector mask is too weak to bring him back, but it would keep him alive. Someone would have to open the thing to switch the masks, and meanwhile keeping him in that box prevents someone from taking off the Protector mask and killing him.

Ooooh, I forgot the possibility that in some cases, masks may still be vital to the survival of a character...

*Earth time: 3 years in future*

"And that is how our dear Toa Masters, defeated the Great Evil! Now join me friends, as we make history that is Bionicle!" -Vakama

*Agori and Matoran fortify Tesara to defend it from an oncoming Skrall rampage*

*Earth time: the Gen1 serials continue*

There you have it folks, Okoto is a made up story told by Vakama before a Skall battle. :P

Thats how the 2 are connected hehehe

If something like that happens at the end I'm going to laugh. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

While I don't think that's the case, it's a very interesting theory.

The Master of Shaymins.

492-0.png