What do people who have never heard of Bionicle think of it in 2015?

Tea-rex

as a musician, the music is amazing! Not exactly original, but it sounds epic and amazing! So I bet the music will catch many people's ears and make them wanna check out the product.

• Upvote 3

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I think a lot of people will be intrigued by the mythic tone and clean, colorful design language. Some Hero Factory fans will feel a bit bummed that it's "replacing" Hero Factory, but others will embrace it as a fresh, new experience.

Granted, I haven't been keeping up with communities like the LEGO Message Boards, which are probably where most people who have never previously heard of BIONICLE will be discussing it in the very beginning. But in the communities where I have been, the only overt negativity has been either from long-time BIONICLE fans who dislike the changes in the reboot, and AFOLs who knew about BIONICLE in the old days but never cared for it to begin with. Kids are often a lot more open-minded about new ideas and experiences than adults, and many of the new LEGO themes that adults have scoffed at from their first glimpse have gone on to become massively successful with kids of all ages.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Might be worth checking back here in a month or so once brand-new fans have started to find their way to BZPower. As it is I'm unsure if many people here will have much insight into how people new to the Bionicle franchise are reacting to the theme.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well due to my experience with the LMBs I can tell you that a lot of younger lego fans have heard of bionicle and seem to be aware that it was very popular a long time ago, and to be honest I haven't seen many young HF fans who have grown up with that stuff, most of the younger lego fans (who didn't grow up with bio) seem to be more interested in ninjago and chima. And when an announcement topic was created I saw a couple people who said they never grew up with it who said that they were interested in it after hearing multiple times that it's the best theme ever. I'm pretty sure the CFOLs will be happy with it, what with it having more enfaces on characters and the world (something ninjago and arguably chima have a lot of). 

It's time to move on.

I'm more afraid that new users will be bombarded with useless G1 facts from old fans who want to show off.

That could definitely be a concern. I'm worried that new fans will check out the old Bionicle and find the new generation to be inferior.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I'm more afraid that new users will be bombarded with useless G1 facts from old fans who want to show off.

That could definitely be a concern. I'm worried that new fans will check out the old Bionicle and find the new generation to be inferior.

Kind of doubt that, they're more likely going to go with what they first saw. Besides, most young people that I know will not have the patience to either go through a retelling of the story, or learn it all for themselves via a source like the wiki or BS01. Let's hope this will not start a Gen1 v. Gen2 'war'. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Kind of doubt that, they're more likely going to go with what they first saw. Besides, most young people that I know will not have the patience to either go through a retelling of the story, or learn it all for themselves via a source like the wiki or BS01. Let's hope this will not start a Gen1 v. Gen2 'war'.

I have enough faith in the Bionicle fan community not to show some sort of superiority to the newer generations, especially since anyone who enjoyed the first gen should be a mature adult by now. Hopefully, we won't have people ruining the new generation for the newer fans since it shows a lot of promise that doesn't deserve any bashing.

• Upvote 2

I have enough faith in the Bionicle fan community not to show some sort of superiority to the newer generations, especially since anyone who enjoyed the first gen should be a mature adult by now. Hopefully, we won't have people ruining the new generation for the newer fans since it shows a lot of promise that doesn't deserve any bashing.
Unfortunately I felt the superiority vibe when I first joined BZP. A lot of critics on Facebook were talking about how BZP members acted like know-it-alls. Edited by bioniclepluslotr

New children shall gaze in wonder upon the 2015 sets, oblivious of all that has come before, and pondering as to what may come next.

The legend shall be truly reborn...

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

New children shall gaze in wonder upon the 2015 sets, oblivious of all that has come before, and pondering as to what may come next.

The legend shall be truly reborn...

Except in 2001 we gazed upon rows of multicolored canisters. In 2015, there's like 2 protectors on a bottom shelf and a crushed Toa.

That's because the stores aren't supposed to release the sets yet. Some are doing so anyway, but the point is the sets aren't in full stock yet. I imagine that the Bionicles will slowly begin to invade the shelf space of many lego themes (except Chima and Ninjago and Technic). 

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Well, you have to understand that this generation has grown up with a very different idea of LEGO as a whole. When BIONICLE first launched, there was no TV show to accompany it, whereas now kids are used to shows like Chima and Ninjago to give them a storyline basis for wanting a toy or play set. BIONICLE, once again, has no such TV show and in order to get the story, they'll have to do actual work on looking up videos and bios and such. I believe that the big challenge here is to get across exactly WHAT Bionicle is without making children search too hard for the answers.

I would like to think that TLG has done enough to make 2015 like 2001, but there is a very big difference in culture, technology, and history in the decade and a half since G1 launched.

If there is going to be an issue with G1 fans lording their knowledge over the newbies as a sign of superiority, then we, as a group, have only ourselves to blame for whatever ensues.

Hopefully that problem won't crop up, but I do think that part of preventing such behavior may lie in a re-structuring of the forums, perhaps by splitting BIONICLE Discussion and S&T into two forums each.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'm sure Bionicle is going to be a major hit with kids (Like HF sorta was).

Buuut, I'm prepared for a lot of drama & banning of accounts in the coming months. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I imagine they'll see it in a similar light to how we did back then. I feel like there's a more cartoony feel to the new era of Bionicle, which I don't mind at all, I actually really like it. (I thought G1 got a little too serious later on down the road) I feel like the more over-the-top style will help get the younger crowd into it.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

I'm hoping we don't get a Gen1 v Gen2 war, but if we do, I certainly know which side I'll be on, although admittedly slightly reluctantly.

On topic, two of my cousins, who love HF, Chima and have heard lots from me about Bionicle, are definitely excited for the new Bionicle. For them, a building system they're used to + Bionicle= Awesome. :) 

VBWj75sh.png

New Fans: I haven't spent a lot of time with kids lately but I hope that they are just as enthralled by the story and characters as I was. I'm also hoping that it appeals to everyone regardless of background, because you can never have enough diversity in the fandom.

Current community: I've always felt welcome here in the Bioncle community so I hope it stays that way. We don't need a Gen-War to tear everything apart, and if it did I'd rather not come to BZP than choose a side.

• Upvote 2

I think Gen 2 might actually be higher quality in some respects (sets *ahem*), but I'm already made of Gen 1 bias. They will have to convince me that the story they are building is as good or better than Gen 1, and that will take time. 

Even if it is better, it's going to be hard for me to accept. I'm already imagining myself in a discussion defending Gen 1 to some fan who doesn't know anything about it and is making a bunch of accusations that Gen 1 is no good. 

That person will come. 

I hope it is one person, and not 10. 

• Upvote 1

I swear to God above that if there is a stupid fandom war I am leaving this site. We don't need that here.

Generation 1 is over. It's had its time in the sun and it ended. Now it's time for the new version to take hold, to grow and establish itself as one of LEGO's big franchises. I loved the old generation, but this new generation is so much more advanced. The pieces are sturdier and more glossy. Everything just feels new with these 2015 sets and that is what is supposed to happen. I was angry and upset when Bionicle was cancelled.

Each year I'd look to see all of my old sets gathering dust and try not to sigh as I cleaned them. Now that Bionicle is coming back, I put the old sets away and have room for the newer sets. These new sets just look so much more advanced and shinier compared to the darker old sets.

We don't need to bring petty nostalgia here, okay? The new era is coming. Either accept it or don't.

• Upvote 2

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

These new sets just look so much more advanced and shinier compared to the darker old sets.

Not just the sets; the commercials, the story, the animation, the concepts...everything is being done in a much better manner than before. I'm a huge fan of the original Bionicle series, but this reboot is doing a GREAT job of staying true to what's been established while not repeating itself too badly. I love the fact that the commercials are actually trying to immerse the viewer in the story rather than just rouse their curiosity. I love that the animation is hand drawn to help it stand out in this CG dominated world. The new sets (don't have any yet) look very impressive, very fun to build and again, I love the old series, but Lego is really delivering a reboot that aspires to give 110% and be something special!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Honestly, personally I'm not a huge fan of the "shiny and new" look. I prefer the scratched and battle worn look of before. Also, I'm not liking the goofyness of the characters.

I wouldn't call it goofiness; more like comic relief. I looking back at the old bionicle stuff, it seems like it was typical of the air toa to be the comic relief, but I think they've added quirks/traits to all the characters that make them not only more believable, but actually give them all the potential to be a comic relief to a certain moment. As for the shiny/new look. It works. I mean the old pieces were shiny too, I don't see much of an issue, though I know some will.

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

But at least g1 used comedy only sparingly, g2 Kopaka trips as part of his intro.

Also, I just think the smooth simplistic look doesn't do it for me. Coming from the Beast era of transformers, I'm used to figures having tons of sculpted detail in every little place. Another example is the Mega blok Spartans, so much detail on a two inch figure, it just ads so much to the realism.

I'm not going to argue against the idea that Gen 2 is better. What I am going to stand against is unnecessary Gen 1 hate (which may be something for the staff to deal with, but I'll write the reports) and the idea that people should stop discussing Gen 1 now that Gen 2 is here. 

The quality debate is good, though - we should have it, but it's off-topic for here. Suffice it to say that I think the new sets are better hands down - better articulation, more parts, more inventive design. The story doesn't quite add up, but Gen 1's epicness is going to be a very tough rod to beat, and I haven't seen most of it yet. A lot of that is going to be subjective and riddled with personal taste and biases - I suspect newcomers are going to come in with a very solid bias for Gen 2 for any number of reasons, which is going to run up against some old-timers Gen 1 bias. It makes for a good debate.

Then we will have the old-timers who think Gen 2 is better who will accuse the Gen 1 likers of being illogical, while failing to realize that their argument is just as based in their taste for Gen 2 as their opponents' is for Gen 1. (Then there will be the Gen 2 people who get into Gen 1 and like it better, and complain about everyone being hostile. And every other opinion in between.)

It probably won't be a war. It will be like one topic, cause a firestorm, blow over, flare up in another topic, die off. But there is a very good chance of it happening.  The more varying tastes, the more likely such debate will remain civil - but I can guarantee that the Gen1 vs. Gen2 will come up. It is unavoidable. 

It's also worth noting that the taste-based argument is a logical fallacy because the taste for Gen 1 and Gen 2 aren't mutually exclusive - one can like both, and taste for one need not affect one's appreciation for the other, although it may in some people. The issue at stake would really be "Has Lego improved over time?" to which the answer is yes, for other reasons - or "Has Bionicle improved over time?" - or "Is Lego Bionicle doing well or as good as it could in appealing to people's tastes, inspiring creative building, and turning a profit?" All of those are good questions to answer, and while using Gen 1 as a yardstick to answer them is subjective, flimsy, and not necessary, people will do it anyway. :P

• Upvote 2

It probably won't be a war. It will be like one topic, cause a firestorm, blow over, flare up in another topic, die off. But there is a very good chance of it happening.  The more varying tastes, the more likely such debate will remain civil - but I can guarantee that the Gen1 vs. Gen2 will come up. It is unavoidable. 

I agree. I would definitely have to say that we must all respect each other's opinions and keep our cool if/when new members join us and have differing opinions than us. While the 1 vs 2 will come up, I think the "firestorm" can be avoided by asking "why do you think this?" and trying to see someone's side of the argument rather than just bickering and getting nowhere. 

That out of the way, here's a better question to keep the the original topic idea:

Imagine you are a kid in today's world; you didn't know anything about Bionicle... If all you knew from Lego was Hero Factory and Bionicle was replacing that theme, what would you think of the sets? 

Essentially, I'm asking you to just look at Gen 2 as something brand new, like the new kids will likely have to, and give an opinion based upon that viewpoint.

My answer: I think the weapons are very impressive, the masks are pretty cool, the gear functions are giving the set something more, and I'm curious to see what the story of these characters is all about.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I think the new Bionicle sets are far more impressive than HF sets, at least in my opinion. They're continuing the IFB concept of large figure and small opponent, but with the added bonus that the small opponent (now skull spiders) can take over another large figure, making for a battle between two full-sized sets before the villain wave is even out yet. They've added great functions as well, with the knock off masks and gears. And all the weapons have dual functions, another plus. While the Toa lack any of the many incarnations of Zamor launchers from over the years, the Protectors make up for it with their Gatling guns. In terms of media, Bionicle is set to totally outdo HF with myriad beautiful animations.

Basically, the new Bionicle has a lot going for it which HF even at its best never did. I think we may see some sadness that Hero Factory is gone, but hopefully it will be well mitigated by the awesomeness of its successor.

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

I bet they'll feel like the Gen 1 Bionicle fans did in 2001.

I wasn't a Bionicle fan until after becoming a Hero Factory fan. And I wasn't that enthusiastic until the rumours about Bionicle 2015 started appearing in July. I'm kind of a weird Bionicle fan. I wasn't interested in Constraction at all while Bionicle was around, I got into HF first, I then learned about Gen 1 a year or so later and became a bit of a fan, and then Bionicle 2015 comes along and I'm a fan of it. I became a Bionicle fan during neither Gen 1 nor Gen 2. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

A lot of Lego system fans were never too fond of Bionicle, and I doubt the relaunch will change their minds. 

I'm guessing kids will love Bionicle G2 though; the sets are very well designed to play with when you consider their features and accessories, and they have enough variety that people won't mind buying more than one. I personally think this is the huge breath of fresh air and creativity that 2009 should have been. 

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure the new kids on the block will love the new sets, although I doubt they'd be interested in the old, dark, more aged looking sets of G1.

As for the inevitable "G1 vs G2" war, I'll park myself up firmly on the fence. There is a great view of Immature squabbling from there, I hear.

Edited by Turaga of Ponies

Well due to my experience with the LMBs I can tell you that a lot of younger lego fans have heard of bionicle and seem to be aware that it was very popular a long time ago, and to be honest I haven't seen many young HF fans who have grown up with that stuff, most of the younger lego fans (who didn't grow up with bio) seem to be more interested in ninjago and chima. And when an announcement topic was created I saw a couple people who said they never grew up with it who said that they were interested in it after hearing multiple times that it's the best theme ever. I'm pretty sure the CFOLs will be happy with it, what with it having more enfaces on characters and the world (something ninjago and arguably chima have a lot of). 

Alright, my younger brother only got 3 agori, so he didnt have alot of bioncle experience so he's more into hero factory, and chima

whereas me.... I started with matoro inika, then kongu inika, then bohrok nuhvok(from the local thrift store), then eehlek and pridak, then lewa Nuva Phantoka(after I got stitches) then kopaka nuva phantoka(I always had a fancy for Toa of ice), Then skrall, then gresh, then titan mata nui, a few agori, vastus, tahu stars, rakshi stars, one more of those 2 for my birthday, then spiraling sadness for a year, then accepted that bionicle probably wasnt coming back and gave hero factory a try

My little brother didnt know much bout bionicle, and doesnt care as much for it as i do right now.... But i've been telling him the olden story, telling him what it used to be, and hes gotten truly interested, but not yet passionate bout bionicle

Alright, my younger brother only got 3 agori, so he didnt have alot of bioncle experience so he's more into hero factory, and chima

whereas me.... I started with matoro inika, then kongu inika, then bohrok nuhvok(from the local thrift store), then eehlek and pridak, then lewa Nuva Phantoka(after I got stitches) then kopaka nuva phantoka(I always had a fancy for Toa of ice), Then skrall, then gresh, then titan mata nui, a few agori, vastus, tahu stars, rakshi stars, one more of those 2 for my birthday, then spiraling sadness for a year, then accepted that bionicle probably wasnt coming back and gave hero factory a try

My little brother didnt know much bout bionicle, and doesnt care as much for it as i do right now.... But i've been telling him the olden story, telling him what it used to be, and hes gotten truly interested, but not yet passionate bout bionicle

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell with, something about your brother liking HF and chima, no offense but what does that have to do with what I posted? 

It's time to move on.