Why is YouTube the source of all the negativity towards the new sets?

Xabla

I noticed that out of all the people who hate the 2015 sets, like them or not, I feel all the hate comes from YouTube. Like, I know there are bad people who hate things everywhere but I have not seen more hate for 2015 Bionicle that on YouTube. Also, It is also the Lego Message Boards. That place is a bunch of nine year olds (mainly) Who didn't even know Gen 1! I't the comments on some 2015 Bionicle videos all I see is "lol gen 2 suks its 4 babys" "i hate lewa y did u do dis to me lego" I'm not saying it's bad to express your opinion, but why is it always YouTube? I mean, not even a much as the videos but the commenters. I mean, I think YouTube destroyed lots of fandoms. TF2, Star Wars, Star Trek, and who could forget My Little Pony? There is people who hate new things every where, but it's mainly YouTube. I can not stress that enough. All i'm trying to ask is, how come YouTube is the main source of haters for Bionicle 2015? I even see it on some of my own vids, but I just delete the comments, since they are like what I said earlier. And of course the LMBS. Why are they such genwunners? Maybe since it's not in the old universe? Idk. Sorry for the long post. Just my ideas.

Edited by moamahrimatoro

cringe

YouTube comments are usually some of the most immature things on the Web...that's been a thing since forever in the time I've known youtube. As far as hate goes, people seem to just troll youtube regardless of what it's about. Maybe there are some legitimate haters of Bionicle on YouTube, but I've always seen hateful YouTube comments as immature and non-legit.

To answer your question better: who knows? Maybe they're just immature trolls like I was getting at or maybe they don't like CCBS since "it's for babys" as you said or maybe they're they are mad that it's not a continuation of the original in some way. It's very hard to say for certain, but from my first paragraph in this post, you can see my opinion of this stuff. I wouldn't let those comments bother you; 80% of the time, nobody reads them and few people care to comment back on those sort of things. My friends and I look at youtube comments for a bunch of laughs, but beyond that, they're really pointless.

Does any of this make sense? (I kind of jumbled a bunch of thoughts together).

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

YouTube comments are usually some of the most immature things on the Web...that's been a thing since forever in the time I've known youtube. As far as hate goes, people seem to just troll youtube regardless of what it's about. Maybe there are some legitimate haters of Bionicle on YouTube, but I've always seen hateful YouTube comments as immature and non-legit.

To answer your question better: who knows? Maybe they're just immature trolls like I was getting at or maybe they don't like CCBS since "it's for babys" as you said or maybe they're they are mad that it's not a continuation of the original in some way. It's very hard to say for certain, but from my first paragraph in this post, you can see my opinion of this stuff. I wouldn't let those comments bother you; 80% of the time, nobody reads them and few people care to comment back on those sort of things. My friends and I look at youtube comments for a bunch of laughs, but beyond that, they're really pointless.

Does any of this make sense? (I kind of jumbled a bunch of thoughts together).

It does make sense what your saying. Some thing I forgot to add were the CCBS/HF parts haters. THAT was a main part, even worse than Bionicle 2015.

In a comment, For Bionicle 2015 animation videos, Some one said, "The narrator sounds like a pedophile" See? This is what your saying. Totally. Pointless. Comments.

Edited by moamahrimatoro

cringe

If you want to keep your sanity, never read the comment section of any video or news article on the internet.

This user...has found a life hack. Go Bfahome!  :bowdown:

But also should you read them, go in there prepared to laugh at them lol. Don't dwell on them and think about who ever wrote them. Like I said, my friends and I make inside jokes about some of the comments we've seen on youtube. I must also add that maybe some people do those comments just for the reaction my friends and I have: to pull laughs.

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I noticed that out of all the people who hate the 2015 sets, like them or not, I feel all the hate comes from YouTube. Like, I know there are bad people who hate things everywhere but I have not seen more hate for 2015 Bionicle that on YouTube. Also, It is also the Lego Message Boards. That place is a bunch of nine year olds (mainly) Who didn't even know Gen 1! I't the comments on some 2015 Bionicle videos all I see is "lol gen 2 suks its 4 babys" "i hate lewa y did u do dis to me lego" I'm not saying it's bad to express your opinion, but why is it always YouTube? I mean, not even a much as the videos but the commenters. I mean, I think YouTube destroyed lots of fandoms. TF2, Star Wars, Star Trek, and who could forget My Little Pony? There is people who hate new things every where, but it's mainly YouTube. I can not stress that enough. All i'm trying to ask is, how come YouTube is the main source of haters for Bionicle 2015? I even see it on some of my own vids, but I just delete the comments, since they are like what I said earlier. And of course the LMBS. Why are they such genwunners? Maybe since it's not in the old universe? Idk. Sorry for the long post. Just my ideas.

So "Genwunner" is now and thing in bionicle too?

Anyway, I think it is the most non-regulated, most skipped over comment section, making it an easy place for people to do that

Haters gonna hate.

And there really isn't a problem with not liking something, but what grinds my gears is when some one hates for the sake of hating and doesn't actually have a reason for it. An example of this is the bag of nuts who wear nostalgia-tinted goggles and refuse to accept anything new that isn't exactly how old Bionicle was. They tend to refuse to accept anything new like CCBS just because they find it "inferior" to what the old system was, simply because it was the one Bionicle used.

Anyway, I think it is the most non-regulated, most skipped over comment section, making it an easy place for people to do that

From what I can tell, it's a term that people adopted from the Transformers fandom (Transformers G1), which fits since now Bionicle is on its second iteration.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Well, it is Youtube...

Incidentally, I fully expect to see people like those in the Pokemon franchise, who idolise one generation of pokemon over all.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

As people have said, it's Youtube. The place where anyone with a webcam can (and will) go to rant about every topic under the sun. Negativity gets more attention, and the more negative and angry it is, the more attention it gets. If you want to be angry and hateful towards something, it's the best place to get an audience. After all, someone turning up here or on the LEGO forum with similar views is unlikely to get the attention they want.

I didn't like the new sets at first. I was grumbling about how it's a different build system that I don't like, there's less variety etc. But the more I looked into it, the more I began to like it. CCBS is actually really good and a logical extension of what Bionicle as a buildable action figure line was heading towards. The fact that there are different sized, interchangable limbs is a huge step forward and you know what else? The sets don't break at the slightest touch! The addition of the gearbox for the Bionicle sets is also fantastic, not only providing a function but adding some much needed bulk to the sets. That fixed one of my problems with the system, which is the thin bodies (which was even worse during the Inika phase, admittedly). There are still things I don't like about some of the new sets, but I'm giving them a chance.

Like with anything different, so many people don't get past the initial "it's not how I remember it! Everything is ruined!" stage, so they refuse to look at it in any detail and ackowledge any merits it might have. And then they go to Youtube! :)

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

YouTube is a largely unmoderated community—outside of actual criminal speech like threats and explicit hate speech, people are pretty much free to say whatever they please without recourse. Like 4chan and, to a lesser extent, Reddit, this allows for negativity and hatred to fester until it reaches a boiling point. Also, because it's not a community solely dedicated to Bionicle, even users who absolutely hate the theme or what it's become typically stick around instead of moving on. Finally, YouTube offers a unique capacity for users who manage their own channels to develop their own cult of personality, one that they can even monetize. But that echo chamber-like quality can lead to conflict when a channel posts an opposing or contrary viewpoint, and sometimes a channel's most devoted fans end up viewing any disagreement as a personal attack, and respond in kind.

TL;DR: YouTube is the pits. We're lucky to have dedicated, moderated communities like BZPower in which to discuss the themes we love.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Just let them drink their Haterade and live in their magical world where everything sucks.

But seriously, I can see why certain people aren't terribly pleased with the new sets. The first Bionicle had a pretty serious vibe to it and even in the Mata-Nui days you could see that in the figures. It looked like they lived in a semi-realistic world (at least as realistic as you can get from Bionicle) and the toys all looked totally unlike anything we'd seen before with Lego. The new gen is much more bright and colorful and vibrant, certainly more cartoony. Sure there's going to be some serious stuff and whatnot, but the designs themselves are more akin to something from a cartoon. I can see why they did this though. I remember being a kid and feeling a little intimidated when Bionicle first came out, it was so different from what Lego had done and what we were used to seeing. The Toa all looked so alien and almost angry I wasn't sure what to make of it, were they good guys, were they bad guys, what exactly were they? Robots? Something else? People in robot suits? I just remember thinking it was a bit too serious at first which put me off for the first year of Bionicle. Then in 2002 when I turned 8, my friend got me Onua for my birthday. I was still confused by it, but it was a gift from a friend so I figured I'd keep it and build it, and it was pretty neat. After that I was instantly hooked. I think the new designs are meant to be more accessible to a younger audience. Don't get me wrong, I totally dig this new style they're going for but even from the animations and character descriptions you can see it's got a very lighthearted tone. Which there is nothing wrong with that, plenty of kid's shows start off like that. I know Avatar The Last Airbender had a very lighthearted feel to it early on but it got pretty serious later on and became one of the best shows Nick ever did. I'm hoping Lego goes that way for the new gen of Bionicle, I doubt it would happen but I think it'd be pretty neat if they got Greg back to work on the storyline of the series.

But I think the majority of the hate seems to be coming from the more "kid-friendly" style it's taken on here. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. I don't mind the more over the top direction it's in as long as the toys and the story is done well.

• Upvote 1

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

Haters gonna hate.

And there really isn't a problem with not liking something, but what grinds my gears is when some one hates for the sake of hating and doesn't actually have a reason for it. An example of this is the bag of nuts who wear nostalgia-tinted goggles and refuse to accept anything new that isn't exactly how old Bionicle was. They tend to refuse to accept anything new like CCBS just because they find it "inferior" to what the old system was, simply because it was the one Bionicle used.

This=My point exactly

cringe

From what I can tell, it's a term that people adopted from the Transformers fandom (Transformers G1), which fits since now Bionicle is on its second iteration.

Wasn't it from Pokémon first?

Well, it is Youtube...

Incidentally, I fully expect to see people like those in the Pokemon franchise, who idolise one generation of pokemon over all.

Ok, I have to admit, I don't like the X/Y gen of Pokemon. But you don't see me saying everywhere, "oh x/y poke suks its not meh childhood."

cringe

Apparently, "genwun" is the Pokémon term while "geewun" is the Transformers term.  It seems to have originated with Transformers, though.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

LOL I love YouTube! But heres the thing, comments like those are really just a small side of YouTube. At least in the Xbox and Playstation community, I always see positivity among all types of fans. 

Did anyone believe me?

But as many have said, its really just the trolling that goes along. But to be honest, I havent really seen many negative comments on YouTube about Bionicle to the point were I had to make a post on BZP for someone to explain why this is so. Then again, I dont really watch the Bionicle community on YouTube other than like 3 YouTubers, so that can explain why I dont see much hate towards Bionicle on YouTube. 

As others have said, many people on Youtube make negative comments for attention. Some people may actually not like the sets and are giving their truthful opinions on them. And thats fine. But a lot of people want their comments to be noticed by other people, and sadly negative comments more often stick out in the comment section than positive ones. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

As others have said, many people on Youtube make negative comments for attention. Some people may actually not like the sets and are giving their truthful opinions on them. And thats fine. But a lot of people want their comments to be noticed by other people, and sadly negative comments more often stick out in the comment section than positive ones. 

But what's with lack of hate videos compared to hate comments?

cringe

Hate comments are easier to make than hate videos. At least, that is what I think. A video took take a couple hours to make and upload, while a comment can only take seconds to type and post.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Because videos take more time and effort to create than comments. And oftentimes they'd be less visible—rather than showing up in the comments to good or popular videos they'd be isolated and unpopular (after all, very few people would be interested in watching a video composed of nothing but someone mouthing off about sets they don't own).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Because videos take more time and effort to create than comments. And oftentimes they'd be less visible—rather than showing up in the comments to good or popular videos they'd be isolated and unpopular (after all, very few people would be interested in watching a video composed of nothing but someone mouthing off about sets they don't own).

Right, makes sense.

cringe

Apparently, "genwun" is the Pokémon term while "geewun" is the Transformers term.  It seems to have originated with Transformers, though.

Interesting, thanks

People will make more comments in passing on YouTube than they would on BZPower. A person who writes "Bionicle 2015 sucks" might actually feel "Bionicle 2015 is a disappointment because of *blah blah blah* " If they wanted to discuss what they didn't like about Bionicle, than they would do it on BZPower. If they wanted to make a simple comment, they would do it on YouTube.

Nobody is going to start a thread just to say a simple comment (well, I've done that but that's not the point). You understand?

Edited by PrismWind

Well Youtube doesnt have very strict moderation compared to say... BZPower

• Upvote 1

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.