So, the other day, my brother and I bought Kopaka, Pohatu, and the PoE, and this broght up a thought I'd had upon first seeing the new figures. Now, notice the coloration of some of the sets. We see the characters of Ice and Water having trans-blue limbs, the Stone characters having trans-lime, and the Protector of Fire having trans-red hands.

Now, some of you may remember a theory back in the Glatorian Era which suggested that the Spherus Magna inhabitants had skin colors that matched that of their heads (these were not Tribe-specific, as we saw Perditus having a green head despite being Fire, and Vastus not matching Tarduk or Gresh).

So, what if that is how it works in the new line? The transparent bones could be representative of their skin underneath the armor, if they are, indeed, mostly organic. This means that if Kopaka removed all his armor, he'd be almost entirely blue, Pohatu would be lime green, and Onua would be purple.

EDIT: I have a new addition to this theory!

With the revealing of the summer sets, we see many more transparent bone pieces as well as what appears to be actual bones. These figures, based on the animation, seem to be undead--reanimated corpses of the inhabitants of this world. 

The key part here is the bones--the new parts that actually look like they might be part of a human skeleton. This seems very indicative of an organic structure that has rotted away over time. They also have some transparent bone pieces, which could very well be bits of decaying flesh still hanging on as the corpse rots (or flesh growing back as the being returns to life).

Thoughts? Theories? Theatrics?

(I realize this is based around the sets, and so could belong in BD, but since it deals more with representing the in-story characters, I feel it should be welcome here.)

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 5

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I thought of them being organics too. Could be skin or Gen1 style muscles (representative of them anyways). But the placement seems less like muscles and more like either skin or something else like armor. The vids don't show them as translucent -- but if they're just representative of something or another, that doesn't really matter (and the vids are intentionally short on detail anyways).

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It seems to me like Bionicle 2015 is intentionally avoiding the question of what the characters are, physically. In the animations there have neither been any mechanical noises nor physical indications, like breathing. The Water village lives underwater, but whether they do so using technology, gills or a waterproof internal engine is left vague. There are some possible reasons for this; perhaps the story team simply hasn't decided yet.

• Upvote 4

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I followed a link here from Pohatu's arm topic and think both of these theories sound good. I'd never heard of the Glatorian theory before but as far as Gen2 goes I think the trans colour could quite possibly be representative of body/skin colour. I'm looking at Gali right now and it works fine on her legs. What about the trans blue armour she has on her upper arms though? The 'bones' are dark grey but then have these 'flesh' coloured pieces for armour. Tahu has some trans-orange armour pieces too...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I followed a link here from Pohatu's arm topic and think both of these theories sound good. I'd never heard of the Glatorian theory before but as far as Gen2 goes I think the trans colour could quite possibly be representative of body/skin colour. I'm looking at Gali right now and it works fine on her legs. What about the trans blue armour she has on her upper arms though? The 'bones' are dark grey but then have these 'flesh' coloured pieces for armour. Tahu has some trans-orange armour pieces too...

I considered that, as well. If I'm right, then Gali's upper arms might be bare (the set having colored armor over the grey bone just for the sake of having armor there). I imagine her wearing something like an Olympic swimsuit, covering her torso, but exposing her arms. Then gloves or something to use as protection. If you're swimming at high speeds under water, you might want to push off of rocks once in a while, and if they're sharp or broken, you don't want to cut yourself.

You know, I might just draw up some labeled sketches for this. Might make it easier for me to explain. :P Unless that actually made sense.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

This actually sounds like a really cool idea. I thought of that too after seeing some fanart of the Masters and the connectors being depicted as more organic than the armour covering it. Would like to see some interpretations of the characters without armour now...

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

This actually sounds like a really cool idea. I thought of that too after seeing some fanart of the Masters and the connectors being depicted as more organic than the armour covering it. Would like to see some interpretations of the characters without armour now...

-NotS

I've got very little artistic talent when it comes to drawing organic figures, but it looks like I might have to give it a try. :P

I just figured that since so many sets had the transparent bone, there could be some storyline-plausible reason for it. People seemed to like it when it was suggested for the Glatorian, so I went with it.

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

No complaints here! Definitely makes sense from what we've seen so far, especially for the Protectors. I'd draw some, but I am probably the single worst artist on this whole site. :lookaround:

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

No reason the glatorian can't use it as well is there? 

There's this pic of Gali. It gives a good idea of what's being discussed on the legs and forearms. I imagine the artist was going for something a little suggestive... but it's safe enough I think  :D

toa_gali__2015_by_rubtox-d816b1p.jpg

• Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

There's this pic of Gali. It gives a good idea of what's being discussed on the legs and forearms. I imagine the artist was going for something a little suggestive... but it's safe enough I think  :D

Ah, yes! I knew I'd seen something like it before! Shortly after I devised my theory, I saw that image. Knowing that someone else out there agreed with me, I brought it here. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

It's odd I should stumble across this topic, because I was contemplating a different (but related) theory today which is that the silver parts on all the sets, especially those with silver hands/feet, are there to more clearly show their mechanical nature. I'd also cite Pohatu for this, since he seems to have been designed to be smaller and less armoured than the others, and he is mostly silver. I figured that they're largely silver or translucent underneath the coloured and non-silver metallic armour.

Still could be skin, I suppose? But the fact that every single set has silver (except the LoSS, who might be more organic with natural armour segments rather than artificual ones), and that it's most frequently on the hands/feet, I took to be a pointer towards their mechanical nature, rather than wholly (or even largely) organic.

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

It's odd I should stumble across this topic, because I was contemplating a different (but related) theory today which is that the silver parts on all the sets, especially those with silver hands/feet, are there to more clearly show their mechanical nature. I'd also cite Pohatu for this, since he seems to have been designed to be smaller and less armoured than the others, and he is mostly silver. I figured that they're largely silver or translucent underneath the coloured and non-silver metallic armour.

Still could be skin, I suppose? But the fact that every single set has silver (except the LoSS, who might be more organic with natural armour segments rather than artificual ones), and that it's most frequently on the hands/feet, I took to be a pointer towards their mechanical nature, rather than wholly (or even largely) organic.

I considered the silver hands to be something like gloves. If you're gonna be fighting in a variety of environments, you'd want to be geared up properly. So, for Pohatu, I picture the silver bits as gloves and boots. The rest follow similar suit.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

• 3 weeks later...

toa_gali__2015_by_rubtox-d816b1p.jpg

Did I die and go to Heaven? 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I approve of this theory. But you see, I can't remove all of my armor... The translucent parts do represent organics. They're not translucent in reality though, because you could see the bones and blood and stuff if they were. I guess the set designers wanted to use transparent bones instead of solid because it would look weird in plastic.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

What about Tahu, who doesn't have any translucent bones?

His only translucent parts are a few armour pieces, which I don't think are very likely to be organic.

I'm not what the translucent parts could represent, if anything. I think it would be pretty weird if the parts of the characters that are see-through in the sets were see-through in-story...

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

What about Tahu, who doesn't have any translucent bones?

His only translucent parts are a few armour pieces, which I don't think are very likely to be organic.

I'm not what the translucent parts could represent, if anything. I think it would be pretty weird if the parts of the characters that are see-through in the sets were see-through in-story...

For Tahu, I would say that he's just more muscular, and only has his forearms and shoulders exposed, rather than covered by armor. The solid-color bones are to provide contrast.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

There's also the point that the animations show all "gaps" in the Toa and Protector armour as being black, suggesting that black is their "skin" colour. The animations are our only source of story at the moment, so I'm tempted to go with them.

I guess you could argue that the animations have a simplified style, but still, there is no suggestion in them at all that the translucent colours are the base layer rather than armour or mechanical parts. (For example, on animation Tahu, the translucent shells are indistinguishable from the other armour pieces.)

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

There's also the point that the animations show all "gaps" in the Toa and Protector armour as being black, suggesting that black is their "skin" colour. The animations are our only source of story at the moment, so I'm tempted to go with them.

I guess you could argue that the animations have a simplified style, but still, there is no suggestion in them at all that the translucent colours are the base layer rather than armour or mechanical parts. (For example, on animation Tahu, the translucent shells are indistinguishable from the other armour pieces.)

The animation removes a lot of color and detail for the sake of simplicity. 

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 months later...

Hmmm... maybe the Masters are insects with armor-like exoskeletons. Then again, that wouldn't really jibe with the CCBS style, but the transparent "bones" could be meant as the non-armor ("fleshy" doesn't seem right for insects) parts of their makeup.

Quasi-jokes aside, your theory is pretty interesting. I think I'll add it to my headcanon.

banner.jpg