Is anyone hoping for a true Bionicle video game in the near future?

SpartanSK117

Hello everyone,

It's been ages since I used to come on this forum frequently, and it's great to be back.

Anyway back on topic, over the last few years, TT Games have made some brilliant Lego games since technology has advanced (my favourite being Lego Marvel Superheroes), and the thought came to my head as to whether Lego will commission TT to create a Bionicle game in the near future. I'm sure many of you remember the Bionicle video game that was released in 2003. It was lacklustre to say the least...  :akaku:

I know there were a couple of decent Bionicle games afterwards such as Maze of Shadows (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and Bionicle Heroes, but non of them felt amazing like recent Lego video games have been. So my question is, do you think TT or any other company will create a true Bionicle video game after the new story settles a bit? What would you like them to incorporate into the game? Would it be successful?

I would like to hear your opinions and thoughts  :)

SSK117

• Upvote 2

xZbnlOR.jpg

Click on the banner to check out my YT channel!

Hoping for, yes. Expecting, no. Based on their history with Hero factory, they seem to be sticking with mobile platform games, which are probably easier to access for kids than counsol games (AKA cheaper.) With a few exceptions, all the platform games have been licensed, which means there's a bigger audience to draw them into a more-expensive-to-produce game, while the mobile-games are (presumably) cheaper to make and more widespread, cause more people have smart phones and tablets now. I honestly don't expect Bionicle to get better treatment, even if they did get a few counsol games in the past.

But of course I would like one that would have some more interesting gameplay than just "smash spiders." Since the story is also less rigid with the reboot, it could probably do a good job of having the Toa explore their different locals, looking for their masks or whatnot, and fighting plenty of enemies along the way, with some more puzzle solving tricks on top of fights and such. It would be really cool to have an entirely opened Otoku that you could travel around and explore new stuff. The one downside, compared to other TT games, is that Bionicle focuses on the characters, and would not have as many structures to use in the game compared to system themes, which means that the world would either have a much more organic look to it, or the game designers would have to create a lot of technic-y custom models to fit in. :shrugs:

:music:

• Upvote 1

Bionicle Heroes was very meh. It offered some nice fanservice and some neat eye candy, but for me, it was excruciatingly boring. It's basically the opposite of the Bionicle 2003 game, (which was worse but it sucked for completely different reasons, bad camera, too hectic during larger fights, and unfairly difficult especially for a kid's game, (looking at you Lava surfing level) I doubt we'll ever see it but I would like to see a Zelda style adventure game set on the Island of Okoto. I'm really hoping for a mobile Mata Nui Online Game style adventure. Or maybe with the recent Mask of Creation game, we might start seeing Lego releasing flash minigames from time to time. Hopefully they're better than the Mask of Creation though.

I'm really not expecting much out of a Bionicle game at this point. I've accepted that it's likely we'll never see a good Bionicle game again.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

The one downside, compared to other TT games, is that Bionicle focuses on the characters, and would not have as many structures to use in the game compared to system themes, which means that the world would either have a much more organic look to it, or the game designers would have to create a lot of technic-y custom models to fit in. :shrugs:

:music:

I thought about this too, since TT usually makes games that have Lego minifigures it would be tough to make a game with new character designs.

xZbnlOR.jpg

Bionicle Heroes was at best a broad-strokes interpretation of Bionicle, one that may have replicated the set designs but failed to capture what made the characters and story special. The heroes were all interchangeable, with zero characterization. The villains were reduced to emotionless "end bosses". Bionicle Heroes may have had depth in terms of its gameplay, but as far as story is concerned it's no better than any of the numerous online or mobile minigames that succeeeded it.

Ultimately I don't know what is expected of a "true" Bionicle game. But I doubt we'll get anything with a sizeable budget except through TT Games, and after Bionicle Heroes I don't exactly trust them to do the series justice. The best I could hope for, a mid-to-low-budget adventure game, seems unlikely in the gaming landscape of today. Arcade-like hack-and=slash games seem to have the best chance of reaching and engaging the theme's target audience, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if we ever again see much more than that.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I very much want a new Bionicle game. I want it to adhere to the story better than titles in the past and I want it to play like the minifig LEGO games with an open world and side quests, with fun combat and platforming. I never understood why couldn't work with a constraction theme, everything would just seem like it's on a bigger scale. I could see the pillars and cool architecture we've seen in the artwork made of lots of system bricks and such, mixed in with things made out of constraction pieces. Darksiders and God of War are my two favorite video game series of all time. I love the hack-and-slash combat of those games and I feel like a Bionicle hack-and-slash like that would be awesome!

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I don't know if we'll see/get a Bionicle Consol game...but I would like one. I don't really want TT Games producing it either. I'd rather have a different company (I'm not really into gaming enough to know companies) because I'm not too impressed with TT Games' lego stuff. Even with all of its flaws, I LOVE Bionicle: The Game from '03 and I want more polished/perfected version of that (that shouldn't be hard since Lego's fixing literally everything that was wrong with Gen 1 in this reboot). So yeah. I would definitely like to see them do this though.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

The other type of Bionicle game I would really like is in the style of Diablo 3, with upgradable weapons on multiplayer game options. I would love that.

YES!!! I really wish all the past Bionicle games had multiplayer options. They NEED to add this feature to any new Bionicle games that come out

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

The other type of Bionicle game I would really like is in the style of Diablo 3, with upgradable weapons on multiplayer game options. I would love that.

YES!!! I really wish all the past Bionicle games had multiplayer options. They NEED to add this feature to any new Bionicle games that come out

NO. Flock off, multiplayer birdies. Too many games have been ruined by forcing multiplayer where it's unnecessary, and Bionicle's epic fantasy does not need a bunch of misguided developers shoving Call of Duty-style multiplayer into it.

Yes, the "Six heroes, one destiny" thing that runs through bionicle doesn't make it completely unsuited to multiplayer, but the current gaming industry has forgotten how do to that properly. Single-player sandbox, like "The Elder Scrolls: Okoto" is our best hope for a game that does not rip the wallpaper from BS01 and wrap it around generic gameplay.

Bioncle heroes was the gaming industry's take on our beloved franchise. Do you seriously trust them to do another game and not turn it into another "Action-Adventure"? I certainly don't. I do not want to see another BIONICLE AAA game until the entire industry grows out of this obsession with profit and majority demographics.

/endrant

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'd love to see an open world bionicle game where you can explore a 3D Okoto, I do wonder if maybe an MMO (like Chima online) might be released? 

Not an MMO, but definitely a 3D Okoto exploration game.

"Bionicle Simulator 2015"

I didn't say I wanted an MMO, I'm wondering if lego will do the same thing they did with Chima (make a cheap bland MMO with not enough content). 

It's time to move on.

I'd love to see an open world bionicle game where you can explore a 3D Okoto, I do wonder if maybe an MMO (like Chima online) might be released? 

Not an MMO, but definitely a 3D Okoto exploration game.

"Bionicle Simulator 2015"

I didn't say I wanted an MMO, I'm wondering if lego will do the same thing they did with Chima (make a cheap bland MMO with not enough content). 

Oh... I see what you mean.

" Bionicle Simulator 2015"

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

NO. Flock off, multiplayer birdies. Too many games have been ruined by forcing multiplayer where it's unnecessary, and Bionicle's epic fantasy does not need a bunch of misguided developers shoving Call of Duty-style multiplayer into it.

Yes, the "Six heroes, one destiny" thing that runs through bionicle doesn't make it completely unsuited to multiplayer, but the current gaming industry has forgotten how do to that properly. Single-player sandbox, like "The Elder Scrolls: Okoto" is our best hope for a game that does not rip the wallpaper from BS01 and wrap it around generic gameplay.

Bioncle heroes was the gaming industry's take on our beloved franchise. Do you seriously trust them to do another game and not turn it into another "Action-Adventure"? I certainly don't. I do not want to see another BIONICLE AAA game until the entire industry grows out of this obsession with profit and majority demographics.

/endrant

Multiplayer sounds cool. I like Call of Duty.

/endrant

Multiplayer sounds cool. I like Call of Duty.

The issue is that most developers have focused un adding multiplayer Call of Duty-style to games that hace no reason to have multiplayer at all justo because is what moving big chunks of money money in the industry right now, which takes away resources from other important stuff like plot which would be HIGHLY important un a Bionicle videogame

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

/endrant

What about co-op multiplayer like in the other LEGO games from Traveler's Tales? I think that could be a great feature for a BIONICLE game. Not all multiplayer has to be competitive.

Just as an idea, you could have levels where one player controls a Toa and another controls a Protector, or levels where both players control different Toa.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

/endrant

What about co-op multiplayer like in the other LEGO games from Traveler's Tales? I think that could be a great feature for a BIONICLE game. Not all multiplayer has to be competitive.

That'd be pretty cool actually, maybe they could implement up to 6 player co-op (one player per toa)?

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Just as an idea, you could have levels where one player controls a Toa and another controls a Protector, or levels where both players control different Toa.

Yes. That I could get behind, because it works with the plot. Of course, that's heavily reliant on gameplay.

hat'd be pretty cool actually, maybe they could implement up to 6 player co-op (one player per toa)?

No. Because there's no way you could do that locally. Ninety percent of the people playing the game would have to rely on internet to experience that, and BIONICLE would, of course, have six Toa coming together only at the most pivotal points of the plot; i.e. thouse when you least want random schlubs ruining your experience.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm still holding out for a great Bionicle game. Bionicle Heroes was something I really enjoyed (both console and the GBA version, which is probably the better version :lol:). The character designs, amazing soundtrack, environments, enemy diversity, and third-person mechanics were fun. Nowhere near the level of any other Lego games, but still fun. The latest iOS game is nice, but I'm looking for something with a little more meat, so-to-speak. Something with great gameplay mechanics and a great story for it. I think Bionicle offers tons of flexibility in both departments for a game that good.

Though if you had to ask me what kind of game, I'm a little torn.

In mah opinion, it definitely has to be an action/adventure/third person game. A game with tons of replayablity that isn't going out and finding thousands of collectibles just to waste your time. Oh, and an epic boss fight. Needs an amazing soundtrack (Jeremy Zuckerman would be perfect. He's done a children show you may have heard of, and the oriental theme would fit this new generation of Bionicle). Some level of customization, can be from appearances or RPG elements when it comes to gameplay changing preferences. I think Co-Op would be a good idea, too, since tons of kids would probably want to play with each other. Bonus content would be excellent, too.

TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

It all depends on the story development we get really. I mean YES it would be cool to have a Bionicle game but of course it will be made for kids so I certainly don't expect to get anything that I would fall in love wit has an AFoL... Something with a little added depth would be great though. Even if it's just the game they make for the kids with additional side-quests for the other masks (you know like the game we ALMOST got before?!) would be great fun. Of course it's unlikely to happen as there's still no sign of other elemental masks even now :(

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

/endrant

I think a game that does this well is Warframe. Although the story hasn't been fully developed, the co-op with a maximum of 4 players works really well. 

• Upvote 1

xZbnlOR.jpg

I think a Toa FPS would be neat.

That would be pretty cool. Rather than using the 'adventure game' style that MNOG had with its Matoran, this could be more weapon-focused. 

If you combined that with the beautiful graphics that Bionicle Heroes had, it would be pretty cool.

Although BH had no story and little characterization, its graphics were sheer amazing, especially for 2006. It was a big improvement off of the dull backgrounds that the Bionicle Movies had. 

bZpOwEr

/endrant

I think a game that does this well is Warframe. Although the story hasn't been fully developed, the co-op with a maximum of 4 players works really well. 

A fellow Warframer! I am a founder and have been playing since the release of open beta, I even met and had dinner with Steve and Rebecca during PAX Prime, they are really great people and the games is awesome. my Warframe name is SirDraco if anyone cares to friend me on there.

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Yes.

I'd want something along the lines of LEGO Marvel Super Heroes or LEGO City Undercover, with free-roam around the island, made by TT for Wii U, Xbox and PS4. 

You can choose to play as any of the six Toa, and the missions consist of the 2015-2016 story. You go through the levels searching for your golden Kanohi and eventually fighting LoSS and later on, the summer 2015 villains which I will not discuss here. In the missions, you have the option to switch between the Toa and their respective Protector to get past obstacles and unlock new areas. 

It could also have an online survival minigame, where you and 5 other people play as the Toa and fight off waves of Skull Spiders and other enemies until only one player remains, the winner getting some kind of reward. You can also level up your Toa using points acquired from beating waves.

Oh and Pohatu totally gets a mission in which you destroy the nest of a Skull Scorpion btw. 

Edited by Toa Chronix
  • Upvote 1

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I think a Toa FPS would be neat.

Or something alone the lines of destiny. FPSMMO. You can build your own Toa and explore mata nui, Metru Nui and voya nui.

Bionicle Heroes on the DS kinda did this it was an FPS there wasn't much exploration but it was cool to play a Bionicle shooter. They should have made the console version of Bionicle heroes FPS. I always thought an FPS would be perfect for Bionicle especially during the later years of G1 which seemed to focus on launchers and ranged weapons.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

Yes.

I'd want something along the lines of LEGO Marvel Super Heroes or LEGO City Undercover, with free-roam around the island, made by TT for Wii U, Xbox and PS4. 

Really? The WiiU gets it and the PC doesn't? I don't know what's happening to the gaming industry but I don't like it!  >:(

(I realise this is hypothetical by the way!)

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Absolutely! However, I expect to see only Apps and minor online games.

My ideal BIONICLE video game:

• Story Mode thrusts you into an adventure as one of the six Toa, each with their own fraction of the overarching story and cutscenes.
  • Freeplay Mode lets you goof off as a Villager.
  • Toa gameplay revolves around puzzle platforming and combat.
  • Villager gameplay revolves around collecting, customizing and crafting.
  • The order in which you unlock content isn't universally linear (Water is tier 1, Jungle is tier 2 etc.)
  • Instead, it depends on your Element. Anything the same Element as you is the Easiest, and anything of the Opposite Element is the Hardest.
  • As Tahu, you start your quest in the Region of Fire (the easy first level), and end it in the Region of Ice (the hardest last level). Vice versa for Kopaka.
  • As a Water Villager, Water crafting ingrediants are the first thing you are able to collect, and Stone crafting ingrediants are the last thing you are able to collect.
  • Multiplayer is completely optional, and an online connection isn't required to play the game.
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely! We've seen TT Games growth since 2005's LEGO Star Wars (10th anniversary this year... wow!) all the way to their newest game, LEGO Batman 3. It's exponential. The engine they have is pretty awesome. Amazing graphics, tight gameplay, and the narrative is definitely improved by the voice-acting and actual dialogue. Obviously I do not want to see a BIONICLE game in the typical LEGO game vain, but we know they can step out of their comfort zone (BIONICLE Heroes, for an example) so I think they could develop something really solid for this relaunch.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg