Persona: Sea of Djinn

25K Now!

IC: Karīm Pahlavi

It was rather late at night, so the majority of the staff had left to go home and do things that normal people did, like watch TV. That meant that there were only a few wait staff present, forcing one of the assistant chefs, a young man named Karīm Pahlavi, to pull double-duty. Thankfully, he was getting paid for it too. The wonders of a good boss.

"May I take your order?" asked the Iranian pleasantly, sidling up to Jack's table.

IC: Lauren Lautrec

Yawn. Nothing to do, tired, ugh....

On the streets of Al-Bahera, Lauren was bored. She didn't like being bored at all, so she walked and walked, trying to figure out what to do.

"Maybe there's like... A street peddler somewhere whom I can rip off." she muttered quietly to herself. She was begging the universe to hand her something fun to deal with, because having nothing to do was the exact opposite of fun, which she really wanted to have right then.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

IC (Morgan Whatley)

"Modesty." Morgan sighed. Onto business then...though if things went well, he certainly could do with hearing more of the tale behind that sword. Whatley took of his sunglasses, and stared Aleph in the eye, attempting to convey the sincerity behind his words. "Now....as to the reason I came here. I want to make this clear. I don't care who you work for, do business with or otherwise interact with. It is insignificant to me. What is significant to me is the safety of my staff. Of the ambassador. My men are capable. I believe they're the best I have ever had the distinct pleasure of serving with. But this city....you can feel it in the air can you not? There is something wrong. And according to my connections, you may have some...knowledge...of the arcane." Morgan took a breath. "I was wondering if you might have any theories. You will, of course, be compensated for your time. I do not ask for something in exchange for nothing."

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

And as fate would had it, something intriguing just then had caught Lauren's eye. "Hmm.... Whatever it is, I'm taking a look." she muttered to herself, making her way through the bustling streets and making her way to the alley.

However, since whatever she saw could potentially be dangerous, and so she didn't immediately walk into the alley, but instead hugged the nearby wall and poked her head out to catch a glimpse of what was happening. If it was dangerous, she would get out of there immediately. If the danger chased her, she could always use her Persona to set up an illusion to escape. But first, Lauren wanted to see what was going on.

IC: Karim Pahlavi

"It does."

NPC: Aleph's Antiques

"You're a good man, Mr. Whatley," remarked Aleph, a bemused twinkle flashing in his eyes. "A man who cares for the safety of his subordinates ought to be, after all."

He leaned forward, pressing his elbows harder against the counter. "But I'm afraid that I'm not someone who knows anything about what can affect the safety of your people."

IC (Morgan Whatley)

Whatley gave a disappointed sigh as he slipped his sunglasses back on. "Very well. If you don't want to talk with me, I can't force you." Morgan pulled out a small card and placed it on Aleph's desk. "If you change your mind, this number will connect you to the security offices. Do have a nice day." Morgan turned to leave the store. "And thank you for showing me the sword."

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Karim scratched down the order on his notepad. "Is that all?"

NPC: Aleph's Antiques

"No thanks are necessary," replied the store-owner with a smile. "But I too, wish that you have an enjoyable day."

He would keep in mind Mr. Whatley's offer, however.

NPC: The Alleyway

The shadows of the two buildings that flanked the alleyway shrouded the entire area in darkness. There was nothing that could really be construed as strange of interesting, after all, it was simply a small alley in a small suburb near the outskirts of town. Little happened here. Really, what could have distracted Lauren from her walk here? What could even be hiding in the darkness?

Something thudded against a wall further in.

Ic: Jake

Having arrived at home a few minutes ago, Jake groaned and glanced over at the closet with the fake back wall in his apartment. With an annoyed huff, and a resolution to stop breaking his resolutions, he walked into the closet, reached into the crack in the wall, and opened up the small door, which led to a cubby in the wall. Inside was his vigilante gear; a baseball bat (he was leaving the machete here), various smoke bombs, his outfit, among other things. Quickly changing, he secured the coil of rope around his shoulder, strapped the bat to his back, and dropped his other, smaller tools into various pockets.

After making sure everything was in place, he grabbed the outside of the window sill and flipped himself onto the roof, and immediately noticed movement in an alley just to the right of his apartment. He concealed himself in the shadow of a roof vent, but had trouble seeing down into the dark alley. He settled down to watch.

A shame. It had seemed that whatever had went into the alleyway was gone...

*THUD*

.....Or maybe not.

"This better be something amazing and not just a rat tripping over some cans..." Lauren muttered to herself, before slowly making her way to the direction of the noise, looking around her for any possible dangers.

IC

Nobody ever stared at her, this was a city of quick and furtive glances. She was a thoroughly average looking woman and attracted little attention on her daytime trips to the store, the gymnasium, the library and church.

The last six years had blurred together, around the third she had become what some nations labelled a "NEET." After the child and teenaged school years, she rarely interacted with other people. Not necessarily because she was antisocial or off putting, it was more that she felt herself above and beside such... Normal people things. She didn't really care what the latest gossip was or new books or TVs or music or anything. Work was a necessity of sorts, but she managed on as little as she could. It felt like a waste of time to her, why didn't the government provide free housing and food!?

An answer to that was that they had lost sight of the the middle and lower classes or had been corrupted by the kinds of things that corrupted politicians. Her answer to the problem? Give'em a couple good *thwacks* until their brains started to line up with their moral compass, hopefully now knocked into position.

So, when she felt the sensation of an alleyway staring at her, she turned to face it. Groceries and a library book in hand. She went to investigate.

She did not fear the darkness or what could lurk there, at least. Not anymore. She had always dreamt of being a superhero or a saintly figure, someone that could save others through kindness or righteous fury. It was what drove her to assault bullies or cry out when she had seen a man steal something from the convenience she frequented. An innate sense of wrong/right. The other aspect of her superhero identity was kindness and redemption, even if she had to beat up a bad guy, she wanted him to get better. Understandable, right?

For a long time it had been a futile ordeal, not until her Persona had appeared did she seriously consider her goal within reach...

With her golden knight a thought away, she no longer feared darkness.

...but close to it

"Alright then, please wait patiently while your meal arrives."

NPC: Alleyway

A pained shriek echoed through the darkness of the alleyway. It was the only warning the three curious observers were given before a sickly-looking tongue lashed into the air, slamming against the sides of the narrow alley. Bricks shattered to and fro as the uncontrolled blows intensified, with one wild strike ripping away the roof vent that Jake had been hiding in, leaving him to the tender mercies of the fifteen metre drop to the ground. Steam began to rise from nearby drains as the temperature rapidly rose rapidly. The air started to dry. Even as the swings lessened in strength, the walls continued to crack apart, a green substance oozing outwards.

Running would be futile. If the two at entrance to the alleyway were to look back, they would see the same green substance that the walls were exuding rise from the earth, bubbling and boiling from the heat of the area. They were trapped, surrounded by falling bricks, the rising temperature and the ... thing that continued to stay hidden in the eerily unnatural shadows deeper within. If they didn't escape quickly, only death would await.

The tongue had retreated suddenly into the darkness, but it was a mixed blessing: before their very eyes, the fallen bricks coalesced together, binding with the green ooze into horrifying shapes. There were five in total, and in the ugly yellow lights that winked into existence upon them, the unfortunate Persona-wielders could see only hate.

With guttural growls, the brick monsters lumbered forwards.

• Upvote 2

IC: Jake

The second the giant tongue-thing started bashing the wall of his apartment building, Jake knew that tonight just became a whole lot more interesting. Before he could move to a more advantageous place, the entire dang roof vent was ripped away, sending Jake falling towards the ground. Luckily, he was able to throw rope around one of the loose bricks and tie it off, allowing him to slide to the ground before to slime enveloped him. Just before he landed, he noticed the two others in the alley. Abandoning the rope, Jake dropped the last five feet, twisting in midair to land between the two civilians and the rapidly forming monsters near the back of the alley.

Jake turned his masked face and called back to the two others. "I really hope you two know how to defend yourselves. This could get ugly." With that, he grabbed the baseball bat of his back and settled into a slightly modified Kendo stance.

IC

Know how to defend myself?

She had played a lot of video games over the years, to get ideas for heroism of course. So she could practically see the death flags popping up on masked baseball man.

Did she want to reveal her Persona this quickly? The brick monsters were quiet scary looking, but she didn't know how strong they were. Grabbing a fallen chunk of brick, she chucked it at the closest one's head.

...but close to it

Oh, monsters. Lauren thought. This certainly made today very, very interesting....

"Hello, Mr. Mask." she responded. "I don't think pepper spray will work on brick  monsters, nor would a swiss army knife.... But, tell me...." Lauren asked, while backing up away from the monsters slowly. "You two wouldn't happen to be Persona-wielders, would you?"

Edited by Toru Acura: The Saboteur

NPC: Alleyway of Horrors

The thrown chunk of brick did little to the lead creature, which absorbed the mass into its body with a frightening hiss. Its eyes brightened as it continued to lumber forth, enraged at the insolence displayed by its 'prey' in attempting to attack it. Fortunately for the three humans that had caught it and its compatriots' attentions, the five brick monsters were incredibly slow, and had yet to even move into striking range. Even so, to wait longer would be an immensely unwise decision - green ooze was dripping off the 'arms' of the creatures, splattering against the ground of the alley with a sizzle. Being struck, it seemed, would be incredibly painful. They would have to avoid such an occurrence at all costs.

Too bad that they could not escape the alleyway.

Indeed, if the group were to spare another glance for their surroundings, they would realise that the 'alleyway' they once knew was now far different. The buildings that flanked it had fallen into a state of great disrepair, as if an apocalyptic event had brought them to their knees. The night sky was bright, but it was a sickly red, complementing the dust that now filled the air. The green ooze that had trapped them was still present, but now it had become a river of boiling acid, surrounding the entire area.

And in the distance, a ring of dark mountains loomed above all.

It was as if they were no longer on al-Bareha.

No, it was as if they were no longer on Earth.

OOC: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to that weird world that intersects with al-Bareha due to magic and stuff I'm not allowed to tell you. But the gist is that you're now trapped in a pocket dimension born from the alleyway that you guys found yourselves in. And you can't get out unless you take out the source of the pocket dimension. Which boils (hah, that pun wasn't even intentional) down to beating up these monsters and doing other stuff that is involved.

Have fun! I'm rooting for you.

IC: Jake

"Well, there goes the neighborhood." Jake quipped as the area seemed to morph into a twisted parody of Earth. Following the disintegration of the thrown brick, he decided to answer the lady's question.

"Well... yes. I usually prefer not to use it except in emergencies though..." He shrugged. "I suppose this qualifies. You guys have them too, right?" Without waiting for a response, he began to concentrate, willing his Persona to come forth to protect himself and these others.

IC

Well... Somehow the other two had guessed correctly, she could manifest a Persona. And now was a good a time as ever to do so.

She closed her eyes, focusing deeply on the ethereal presence she now felt. A shimmering leash of energy materialized in her hand. "Persona, Persona, come to me please!" As she chanted, the air shimmered. As if out of some hidden pocket of space, a huge golden knight lunged through the air, hurling it's great lance Ascalon at the nearest brick monster. The leash in her hand was now taut, connecting her to the knight.

...but close to it

"Ah, yes, good, very good!" Lauren said upon Michelle summoning her Persona to strike the brick monsters. "Me? I have a Persona." she replied. In fact, from the time she asked her question to now, she had been trying to summon her own Persona, and now Lauren felt was the time to do so.

"Persona, come now." she muttered quietly, as a Kitsune elegantly leaped out of a red haze. It examined the brick monsters slowly lumbering to the three humans, and its eyes glowed red while it attempted to mentally manipulate the monsters into not attempting to retaliate against the golden lance hurtling towards them.

Edited by Toru Acura: The Saboteur

OoC: sorry for combo post, airport internet, see you in 15 hours

NPC: Alleyway of Horrors

Had the monsters been human, they would have hesitated slightly under the mental attack. However, their wills were far too intense for the Kitsune to influence en masse, and the niggling at their minds (if they even had them). Instead, it only served to further enrage the brick creatures, with the lead roaring as it slappedd the Ascalon away with tremendous force.

The other two beings sturdily resisted the arcing attack from Quirinus, though their eyes crackled in what could be noted as pain. But they both quickly fired off twin jets of acid from their arms at the group of humans, with the final two joining in as they caught up.

Edited by Purple God

NPC: Rashid Abdul 

When the two cops walked to meet the coroner. They'd noticed a balding old man, hunched over a dead body. The dead body in question was in fact that of Mr. Kassab. Of course such a scenario was not uncommon for the coroner, it was his job to inspect dead bodies. A coroner unable to get close would be a problem after all. Still, some might say he was too close, as though he was trying to converse with the body. Indeed if one listened closely they might hear of wisp of gossip, or how Inspector Khalid was being harsh again. 

Yet all of this probably did go unnoticed by the two cops, for the moment they entered. Rashid Abdul shot straight up, pausing only for a moment to recompose himself. "Hello," he responded to the two officers as he held out a hand, "Dr. Rashid Abdul at your service. Now tell me how may I assist you fine young ladies today?"

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg