Sets Not to Scale

Toa Alvarno

Nah, not really. It happens all the time, especially in G1 Bionicle.

Ex: Toa Mata compared to the Toa Inika sets.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

It doesn't bother me at all. The LoSS set doesn't need to be any larger to get its point across. The legs and head (focal points in the design) are fitted for its size, once it becomes any larger those focal points become less significant. I like that he's larger in the game, to pose a greater threat to the Toa, but if the set was twice as large it would just be a bigger spider that's twice as expensive.

I suppose it could be a bother if you're playing with the sets, but if a five-foot-tall spider isn't intimidating enough for you then a ten-foot-tall spider won't be either... (2015 Tahu is 10 feet tall right?)

Edited by Dark Blue

IetTsFQ.png

Same can be said about Fenrakk. Botar also, as a big as a set he is, should be even larger story-wise.

Wait... So the 2008 Takanuva on my shelf ISN'T a hulking beast of awesomeness?

Nope. Imagine 2003 Takanuva with grey instead of gold. ;)

Uh, actually it was stated that Takanuva was enlarged during the 2008 storyline. He really was that huge to the other Toa. Even the comics confirm that.

• Upvote 1

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Same can be said about Fenrakk. Botar also, as a big as a set he is, should be even larger story-wise.

Uh, actually it was stated that Takanuva was enlarged during the 2008 storyline. He really was that huge to the other Toa. Even the comics confirm that.

During Dark Mirror, he was the 2003 version with grey/black armor, a power lance and Midak Skyblaster, and when he got to Karda Nui he was enlarged a bit, not as much as portrayed in the set, but he did get bigger like the Av-Matoran.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

During Dark Mirror, he was the 2003 version with grey/black armor, a power lance and Midak Skyblaster, and when he got to Karda Nui he was enlarged a bit, not as much as portrayed in the set, but he did get bigger like the Av-Matoran.

Had my information wrong then. My bad ;p

97fbefa58de6a357f47187fd56bc8076-d6d4bzl

Wait... So the 2008 Takanuva on my shelf ISN'T a hulking beast of awesomeness?

Botar is supposed to be even bigger? I doubt that.. Where'd you get that from? If anything I see him as smaller, maybe like taller than Brutaka by 2 heads or so.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Has anyone noticed the Lord of Skull Spiders is portrayed as a hulking monster that towers over the Masters in the animations and the game, but it's really tiny in comparison in the set? Does this bother anyone else?

Honestly? No. He's not "tiny" by any stretch of the imagination. Even compared to the bigger Toa like Tahu and Kopaka, LoSS is bigger than an adult wolf—plenty big enough to squeeze the life out of a Toa if he got the drop on one of them. Just because he's not necessarily bigger than the Toa themselves doesn't mean he's any less of a threat. And to the Protectors themselves he's enormous—a threat that fully justifies the summoning of larger, more capable heroes.

It does sort of bother me that he's depicted as larger in the animations and game, because I'd like for the series to finally just let the set sizes correspond to characters' actual proportions. Luckily, I doubt the new story will try to strictly define the comparative size of characters like the classic story did (with it's insistence that all Toa were the same height on average), so depictions of sets like LoSS as bigger than their set forms suggest can just as easily be chalked up to artistic license.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The inconsistency in scale does make me a little upset when it happens, but it's not the worst thing in the world. LOSS isn't outrageously different from what he should be. It bothers me more when a sets design isn't good. A set should be made to scale to as often as possible though.

Bionicle has never been to scale. Look at Toa Nuva To Glatorian.

Yes, but I think a lot of people expect that sets released within a single year are to scale with one another, and in some media that's certainly not the case. Most people understand that a Toa Inika wouldn't really tower over a Toa Nuva, but they would expect a Toa Nuva and a Bohrok or a Toa Inika and a Piraka to be to scale with one another.
  • Upvote 2

Yeah that kinda bothers me but I think LoSS is much better off being bigger than the Toa in headcanon and media otherwise wouldn't be remotely intimidating to the Toa. The difference in in the sizes of characters always bothered me in gen1 but at times it really couldn't be helped. It bothers me but I just accept it and move on. In mocs I do try to reflect their true size though. 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

The Bohrok and Toa Nuva had completely different body types and builds so I don't know how they should be scaled with one another.

That's not what Aanchir meant. "To scale" doesn't mean everything is the same size, but rather at the correct proportions in size. Bohrok are supposed to be that size relative to the Toa.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Actually, Takanuva grew in size over time. At the start of BL #11 he is only slightly larger than the Toa Nuva but by the time they make it to the Codrex, he is described as towering over the rest of them. I assume the size of the set is accurate to some degree.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I think the worst scaling was how the Bohrok Kal were supposed to be huge compared to Bohrok. They could have given them a new, longer limb design or something but no, they didn't even try.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I think the worst scaling was how the Bohrok Kal were supposed to be huge compared to Bohrok. They could have given them a new, longer limb design or something but no, they didn't even try.

Were they supposed to be huge compared to Bohrok? I don't remember ever hearing that...
  • Upvote 1

Were they supposed to be huge compared to Bohrok? I don't remember ever hearing that...

They had different powers and independent minds. There was no size difference, except for where the Bohrok Va are concerned.

Edited by ~T1S~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The Bohrok and Toa Nuva had completely different body types and builds so I don't know how they should be scaled with one another.

That's not what Aanchir meant. "To scale" doesn't mean everything is the same size, but rather at the correct proportions in size. Bohrok are supposed to be that size relative to the Toa.

I was never good with this kind of stuff....

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Actually, Takanuva grew in size over time. At the start of BL #11 he is only slightly larger than the Toa Nuva but by the time they make it to the Codrex, he is described as towering over the rest of them. I assume the size of the set is accurate to some degree.

-NotS

Wasn't that due to a virus or something? He returned to 'normal' size when he Bara Magna too.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Sets are rarely in scale, so its up to the imagination. And for larger sets in the story, that's what we have titans for

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

-NotS

Wasn't that due to a virus or something? He returned to 'normal' size when he Bara Magna too.

It was Karda Nui's being this energy heart thingy that made Av-Matoran and Takanuva bigger than they should be. They returned to normal after leaving at the end of the 2008 story.

AXKP5KC.png

I had no idea Takanuva was meant to have grown at any point! It constantly disappoints me that TLG is so quick to canonise sets, as I assume that's why Takanuva grew and changed in the story-so they could milk another huge Titan set from him... And then he just turns back to his original self? Absolutely ridiculous storytelling. I get that the entire premise behind Bionicle (and other Lego lines) is that the story has to be made to fit around the sets, sometimes it's simply unnecessary though (like the Stars) and it adds nothing of value to the story in my opinion.

As far as the LoSS goes, I'm happy to consider his set form as in-scale but I'm looking at him next to my toa now and I agree he doens't look anywhere near as intimidating as he could do! I like that his set-size allows him to grab and thus immobilise the toa but given how hugely powerful they look in comparison to the LoSS I can't help but think they'd just rip his legs off and go about their business! A titan sized LoSS which more closely resembled the one seen in the app would have been pretty cool but it would have made for an even more expensive first wave and possibly prevented a lot of fans from owning a badguy until the Summer wave which wouldn't do TLG any favours.

Of course a sensible way to avoid this would have been to introduce the LoSS as a smaller villain who is in scale with the Toa and then released a larger titan sized foe in the summer wave which would be representative of the boss we get in the app. It's pretty disappointing to see such inconsistencies being introduced so early on...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

They were specifically said to be "like a Bohrok, but huge" in the novels. 

The novels were written after the Bohrok Kal saga actually took place. When you're looking at contradictions between sets and story it's important to differentiate between actual, contemporary discrepancies (that is to say, inconsistencies that existed at the time in question) and later retcons.

In regards to the passage in question, I don't know if that was even canon. The first three novels were written by Cathy Hapka, who was not a member of the theme's story team, and as such I'm fairly sure many of those sorts of narrative fluorishes were not considered canon to the overarching story.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I had no idea Takanuva was meant to have grown at any point! It constantly disappoints me that TLG is so quick to canonise sets, as I assume that's why Takanuva grew and changed in the story-so they could milk another huge Titan set from him... And then he just turns back to his original self? Absolutely ridiculous storytelling. I get that the entire premise behind Bionicle (and other Lego lines) is that the story has to be made to fit around the sets, sometimes it's simply unnecessary though (like the Stars) and it adds nothing of value to the story in my opinion.

It makes sense to me. At that point (2006-2008) the Toa and Matoran sizes were pretty consistent, but the Av-Matoran sets were HUGE! By saying the energies that caused them to grow in size also affects Takanuva (a Toa of Light) kind of clears up some of that set discrepancy while making sense story-wise. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg