Poll: Connection of Gen1 with Gen2.

Preference of Connection/Not Connection  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By "connection", I mean something like "Okoto is an island in Gen1's GSR" or "Vahi Toa time travel"... or anything that says that the two generations are connected, somehow, that they aren't completely separate stories. 

Also, to be clear, this isn't asking for logical evidence of whether or not the two are actually connected. :lookaround: This is simply asking what you would prefer to have happen. :)

Edited by fishers64

No, and Strong No.

Connecting them would be a terrible idea because it would drag the overly complicated backstory of G1 into the proverbial clean slate of G2. G1's demise was its much too complicated story.

I don't understand why people are actively searching for a connection. LEGO knows what it's doing and there is no logical explanation for any connection other than a few easter eggs. Connecting them in any meaningful way would make G2 a part of G1, which would drive new fans away as G1 did in its latter years.

• Upvote 4

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I chose the "Depends how they are connected" option as I don't want to outright say that I'd hate if somehow Gen1 and 2 are connected but maybe some similarities other then a possible alternate telling of the great story. I think I mentioned in another topic how several civilizations have similar legends or stories about what happened in the past. Well they are not all right, nore are they wrong. Something like this could be an ok connection between the two as events of one don't necessarily effect the telling of the other. They are both the same story just told differently. Like for example Noah's great flood. Some cultures believe it was a single God that flooded the world, others think he God of water and Earthquakes was displeased about something we mere mortals did so chose to flood the world. Either way some cataclysmic flood destroyed the world and only a select few humans and animals survived to repopulate.

Anyway I think too much direct link between the two could ruin the story arch of Gen2, such that it forces us to connect both gens to understand the new one. That would not sit well with me because I didn't follow all of Gen1...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

As intriguing as some of the connection theories are, G2 is just too different from G1 for me to want a connection. The Toa have the same names but different behaviors. The mystical island feel is there, but it is different somehow from Mata Nui. Trying to connect any of that to G1 will just result in a huge mess.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't completely mind seeing some kind of limited G1/G2 connection or crossover at some point, if it was more of a non-canon, small, or easter-eggy thing.  Actually having G2's story be reliant on G1 stuff would probably be a mistake; it opens up the door to all kinds of continuity snarls and "well what about"s, and it reduces G2's ability to stand on its own.

• Upvote 1

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

This I don't want. Gen2 should be able to flow freely without the restraints of the Gen1 content. That doesn't mean I don't want there to be a canon connection. I just hope it is done in a way not to disrupt Gen2 with too many ret-con issues.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I think this is going to be an interesting poll to see the answer to.

Personally, I would like some sort of subtle connection. But I don't mind whether it has an affect on the G2 story.

At the end of the day, there are plenty of ways that there could be a connection between G1 and G2 without newer fans even realising that a "G1" existed, so I can't think of many reasons why LEGO wouldn't include a link, if only as a nod to older fans.

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

At the end of the day, there are plenty of ways that there could be a connection between G1 and G2 without newer fans even realising that a "G1" existed, so I can't think of many reasons why LEGO wouldn't include a link, if only as a nod to older fans.

This.  I'd rather that the story stay as a new, original thing, not in any way canonically linked to G1.  But having little references in there would be wonderful.

idk man

For the first question, I picked the third option because I only want a connection in the way of easter-eggs, and not really anything else.

As for the second question, I picked the forth option because I personally couldn't care. However, I am aware that it would lead to having G2 a bit on the convoluted side.

Why are people so desperate to connect G1 to G2? Is the story for the new line worthless unless it's connected to G1?

The closest connection they have is that Brutaka probably could use his Kanohi to travel to the world of G2. That's it. Lego does not want a convoluted story, they want to focus on selling the toys. Hero Factory shows us that. Adding in some sort of connection to a story that hasn't seen a legitimate update in 5 years isn't what Lego wants to do.

No, I don't want them to be connected. Let this story be its own thing.

• Upvote 2

As much as I'd love the two to have some connection I'm not really sure it should. As far as I see it the connection is only that G2 is a alternate Timeline to G1. So unless another Olmak is used from the prime timeline there shouldn't be anything more. Unless Vezon shows up due to his control going out of wack. 

Bionicle is amazing.

Legends Never Die!

No, for all the reasons mentioned above. Though I wouldn't mind more references, like character names and designs, and easter eggs like the Three Virtues symbol.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

G1 should definitely not affect the story of G2. If I had to connect the two stories, I'd have Vezon end up on Okoto for a very brief time during his dimension-hopping. I would quite honestly hate it if the entire population of Spherus Magna were teleported to Okoto, affecting the story in a massive way. That just seems like pandering.

I would prefer it if the G2 storyline amazes me all over again with it's new story. LEGO really shouldn't engage and entertain fans the easy way by crossing the universes over. They should engage and entertain us by developing the story they have established for G2.

• Upvote 3

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

No. no, no, and no. No. Absolutely not.

As much as I loved the G1 story, I really think it's time to give the story a break and focus on a fresh new story instead, especially for the sake of newer fans. Plus how would you like it if you found out you needed to get ahold of material 5-10+ years ago, most of which is out of print/circulation for many years? Keep G1 and G2 separate from one another, that way newer fans who try to keep up with the story don't get freaked out and we can still have our storylines coexisting peacefully with one another. The G1 storyline as good as it was, slowly became chaotic to the point I needed to have someone explain a few things to me, such as the big reveal of Mata Nui being the MU because I didn't fully understand what I just saw when I watched the Mata Nui Rising video.

The only way I would like to see a connection is a) if it turned out the Vahi were destroyed eventually in Gen1, and the crazy time-destructing consequences were the creation of the Gen2 continuity, or b) if we see :v: :e: :z: :m_o: :n:  :w: :a: :s:  :m: :e: :r: :e:  written on a rock somewhere. Nothing more, and not both.

Edited by Johnrahk

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

1. I don't want a connection between Gen 1 and Gen 2 Bionicle storylines. It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if a connection was revealed between them sometime in the future, but I'd prefer that they stay separate.

2. Again, no, but I wouldn't mind a couple easter eggs from Gen 1 showing up as long as the Gen 2 story wasn't affected by them. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

No. And it already has ties in the sense of nods to the similar things from the original, like any reimagining; I don't see the need for them to be connected in-story.

I wouldn't be absolutely opposed, as long as it's still a different universe, though, depending on how it's done. But same universe? No.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Why no? Clearly there is already a connection to generation 1! The Toa! I mean, where do you think they came from? Surely we will find out what happened to their previous world. If there is no connection I won't complain, because who could complain about Bionicle!

I suppose you could call anything vaguely like Generation 1 an earlier experiment by the GBs. The people working on Bionicle now seem to be very invested in keeping the storyline interesting for older fans. Maybe the next easter egg will be something fun like an appearance from Vezon or the like.

Mantax can win connect four in three moves.

I'd like to see that Bionicle G1 is the distant past of G2. The Toa are reincarnations or spiritual descendants of the Toa Nuva, who have yet to discover the destinies they have inherited. The protectors are an evolutionary descendant of Agori, or of an Agori/matoran hybrid.

Even if the G1 characters affect the current story, I would rather that even the flashbacks be something that takes place after the end of G1 story.

Like the New Toa find out they are the spiritual heirs of the ancient Toa from millions of years ago, but even as they unearth clues and piece together the story of the ancient Toas' lives, it's a story that takes place some time after the end of G1 story, and the original Toa Nuva were involved in a compltely unrelated adventure set years after the unfinished serials.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind some alternate-universe thing that doesn't really affect the plot and maybe a couple of easter eggs, but I don't want the tangled continuity of G1 to drag G2 down. I think anything more than having a dimension hopper briefly land once in the G1 verse would be too much IMO.

aouROFb.png

Connecting G2 to G1 would devalue both generations. G2 would suffer from the first's tangled plotline, and G1 would lose a lot of its alien character with the loss of 'matoran names' for objects, creatures and people G2 introduces.

Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

"depends" and "yes".

Yes. I know it could severly damage G2. however, if done correct, it could still grant G2 it's autonomy...Perhaps it's set really far in the future, so only the major g1 events would matter. Or maybe really far in the past, so that gen1 doesn't matter yet. Maybe it's an agori legend that gave the GB's inspiration for the toa's design. Maybe Vakama is telling the story to the mata nui matoran before the toa arrived, with him mary-sueing himself in as the fire protector. Maybe the GB's sent out two robots.

Those are just the ideas off the top of my head...Bottom line, we can't discount it and say it shouldn't happen because it MAY go wrong. It can go well if done right, and I have faith in lego to do it well.

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I actually liked the complexity of Gen 1, so you can obviously guess that I would support some sort of connection. However, I wouldn't want the Toa to return to the core dimension (assuming that this takes place in an alternate one), as that would throw away all of the worldbuilding for Okoto. I would just want it to be confirmed that Gen 1 canonically exists, and leave it at that.

However, there's no way that's going to happen. Doing that would be stupid from a marketing perspective, because there would be thousands of kids that have no clue what's going on. Just a nice thought, but not a reality. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

At this point, I would like a little connection between the two, but I am not looking for something earth shatterting. But if it does not happen, then no worries from me. As long as we keep getting little nods back to G1 instances

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I don't think they should be connected. At this point, I think the point of the reboot is to see something different. I adore Gen 1, by the way, but I'm curious to see the direction Gen 2 will go in - without effecting or rewriting Gen 1. I don't want to hear "this is what really happened all along and the old plot isn't canon". I'd be more than happy to accept it as an alternate universe as part of the multiverse, though. I just don't want Gen 1 to "go away" or "not count" anymore.

i chose "Yes, it depends", because it would be cool to have some sort of call back or extra-dimensional hopper. If a major cross over is to happen, save it for later, so Okoto can some world building done.

I wish i could change my second opinion to "unsure/I don't care", because it's too early to start making any legitimate conclusions, I do have my theories however (just like everyone else).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light