Bionifight Infinite Discussion

Voltex

So the more useless a weapon is the cooler people find it? That explains a few things.

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

So the more useless a weapon is the cooler people find it? That explains a few things.

This would only seem to be the case with scythes. A combination of utility and utter coolness can be found in many different weapons, such as those in Shixahl's arsenal.

*Snaps fingers*

So, what that equation is saying, is I want a scythe with a 360 degree arc, as long as possible. Basically a giant, weaponized lollipop.

Edited by Horse Divorce
  • Upvote 1

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

So, what that equation is saying, is I want a scythe with a 359 degree arc, as long as possible. Basically a giant, weaponized lollipop.

Exactly correct, and might I say, your priorities in weapon characteristics certainly seem to be in order. =P

*Snaps fingers*

• Upvote 1

IC Nocton:

Nocton 's platform dissipated, him loosing concentration. As he plummeted, though, he reformed the platform, expanding it into a spherical vehicle with two eyeholes. He flew at Jorth, creating several spikes on the front.

Ah, could you edit this please? You've completely ignored/missed Timageness' attack, which came before Jorth's distraction. 

IC: Tarsus The Inquisitor - Arena

While his newfound allies kept the Vahki and the Makuta housed inside the Maxilos robot distracted, Tarsus continued his way up the slope, looking for a better vantage point. While he found none, the Makuta raised itself from the snow, levitating itself with its shadow powers and positioning its artificial body under a nearby ledge. Scrambling towards it, he took a running leap off of its edge, spinning Executioner in his hands before bringing the spiked end down towards the being's head as the tournament's Enforcer showed up to take care of the Vahki.

OOC: Tarsus fighting Nocton.

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC Nocton:

Nocton 's platform dissipated, him loosing concentration. As he plummeted, though, he reformed the platform, expanding it into a spherical vehicle with two eyeholes. He flew at Jorth, creating several spikes on the front.

Ah, could you edit this please? You've completely ignored/missed Timageness' attack, which came before Jorth's distraction. 

IC: Tarsus The Inquisitor - Arena

While his newfound allies kept the Vahki and the Makuta housed inside the Maxilos robot distracted, Tarsus continued his way up the slope, looking for a better vantage point. While he found none, the Makuta raised itself from the snow, levitating itself with its shadow powers and positioning its artificial body under a nearby ledge. Scrambling towards it, he took a running leap off of its edge, spinning Executioner in his hands before bringing the spiked end down towards the being's head as the tournament's Enforcer showed up to take care of the Vahki.

OOC: Tarsus fighting Nocton.

Sorry. Didn't see it. Oh, and nobody should knew he's a Makuta. He's only told Exsequor.

Edited by The Manhunter

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

Perfectly understandable. This game moves ridiculously fast. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Will edit it if you want, but Maxilos robots don't generally have shadow powers either, which Nocton has previously displayed.

So it's not entirely unlikely that Tarsus could've come to that conclusion.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

It's been shown already that this one is modded. It's not a big deal though.

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

IC Nocton:

Nocton looked up, then loosed his shots. Six consecutive blasts of Fragmentation went at Tarsus, nearly point-blank range. As Jorth's snowballs hit him, his platform vanished as he lost concentration and he plummeted toward the ground.

I hate to be "that guy" again, but a couple of us have discussed this over Skype, and it seems kind of metagamey that Nocton would suddenly look up for no apparent reason. In his previous post he was looking for Kotak, then Tarsus jumped down at him from above. Jorth's squid then started throwing snowballs at Nocton in order to distract him from the guy swinging a spiked hammer at his head.

All of that, combined with the weather, makes it difficult for me to understand how Nocton could have seen or heard Tarsus coming in time to look up and empty his entire blaster into him at "nearly point-blank" range. 

IC Nocton:

Nocton looked up, then loosed his shots. Six consecutive blasts of Fragmentation went at Tarsus, nearly point-blank range. As Jorth's snowballs hit him, his platform vanished as he lost concentration and he plummeted toward the ground.

I hate to be "that guy" again, but a couple of us have discussed this over Skype, and it seems kind of metagamey that Nocton would suddenly look up for no apparent reason. In his previous post he was looking for Kotak, then Tarsus jumped down at him from above. Jorth's squid then started throwing snowballs at Nocton in order to distract him from the guy swinging a spiked hammer at his head.

All of that, combined with the weather, makes it difficult for me to understand how Nocton could have seen or heard Tarsus coming in time to look up and empty his entire blaster into him at "nearly point-blank" range. 

He looked up because he heard Tarsus running to jump. The blaster works like a Cordak, but with Fragmentation bursts. The blasts are loosed incredibly quickly, so they would have fired off fast enough to be loosed before the snowballs hit. It it's still a problem I can edit it. I had another move in mind.

He looked up because he heard Tarsus running to jump. The blaster works like a Cordak, but with Fragmentation bursts. The blasts are loosed incredibly quickly, so they would have fired off fast enough to be loosed before the snowballs hit. It it's still a problem I can edit it. I had another move in mind.

He heard someone who was way above him? While on a mountaintop in the middle of a howling snowstorm and having snowball's pelted right at his face by an undead squid as a distraction?

He heard someone who was way above him? While on a mountaintop in the middle of a howling snowstorm and having snowball's pelted right at his face by an undead squid as a distraction?

Pretty hard to aim snowballs in a 'howling snowstorm'. But I'll edit.

EDIT: Tarsus posted again, so editing would've messed the chain up.

Edited by The Manhunter

So Blade and apparently Chro gave me the A-OK to repost Virnar's profile, with a proper melee weapon this time around:

Name: Virnar
Species: Glatorian
Power/Weapon 1: A large, ornate Bow decorated with what look to be feathers on the ends. This can be used to fire a multitude of arrows, ranging from large precision arrows to scatter shots. She is also able to pull out a particularly large arrow and use it for melee combat if necessary.
Power/Weapon 2: Virnar carries around several phials filled with coatings to put on her arrows, giving them different effects. These include the following:
Power Coating - Makes arrows do more damage upon contact overall.
Paralyze Coating - Gives arrows an electrical property that can cause temporary paralysis. 
Poison Coating - Can cause arrows to inflict a poison that does damage over time and slowly exhausts foes while still active.
Blast Coating - Gives arrows an explosive property upon contact.
Close Range Coating - Strengthens the durability of arrows, to make them more effective as melee weapons.
The effects of each coating are unable to be stacked, meaning they can only be used one at a time and must be swapped out.
Power/Weapon 3: A rather large hunting/carving knife resembling this, and is about 1.5 feet long. While it was primarily used for carving hides and parts off of killed monsters, its strength in cutting through the toughest of hides allows it to be used competently as a melee weapon.
Appearance: Virnar has a well-built but slim frame that allows her to move quickly on her feet. Her armor is predominantly tan, with brown and black markings on her shoulders and hands. Like her Bow, she decorated the side of her head with a small bunch of feathers.
Bio: Virnar comes from an alternate Bara Magna, where  not only are the resources scarce, but the beasts that reside there being larger and more ferocious than in the base Bara Magna. While other Glatorian still battled for control of resources in tournaments, other defended their tribes from these monsters, and sometimes even sought them out during hunts. Virnar was one of these hunters, and among the most skilled. While she normally traveled with groups during hunts, Virnar was still known for being able to take on powerful monsters on her own, and win. Her entire existence, Virnar lived a cycle of hunting and coming back pieces carved off the monster carcasses, and was content to keep this up... Until the organizers of Bionifight decided to drag her to their tournament.
Personality/Other: Virnar doesn't speak most of the time, in fact, she's rather quiet overall. This is the byproduct of having to sneak up on monsters day after day, as she typically relied on not being seen until attacking during an opportune moment. If someone notices her who she likes however, Virnar is easy to talk to and generally a friendly person despite being a ruthless hunter for a living. 
Edited by Toph Beifong

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

If Tarsus was way above him how in the world did he hope to land on the Makuta? Escpecially without breaking several bones while doing so.

Edit:

Power/Weapon 3: A rather large hunting/carving knife. While it was primarily used for carving hides and parts off of killed monsters, its strength in cutting through the toughest of hides, and the fact it isn't much shorter than most swords, allows it to be perfectly serviceable as a melee weapon.

What kind of "most swords" are we talking about here? Because they tend to range from a blade of two or three feet all the way up to "whatisthatgiantbarofmetal."

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

If Tarsus was way above him how in the world did he hope to land on the Makuta? Escpecially without breaking several dones while doing so.

i know this is  atypo of bones but i hope to god you meant domes, implying tarsus falling from a sufficiently high height would collapse architecture

All are not the same

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

Power/Weapon 3: A rather large hunting/carving knife. While it was primarily used for carving hides and parts off of killed monsters, its strength in cutting through the toughest of hides, and the fact it isn't much shorter than most swords, allows it to be perfectly serviceable as a melee weapon.

What kind of "most swords" are we talking about here? Because they tend to range from a blade of two or three feet all the way up to "whatisthatgiantbarofmetal."

The kind of swords that can reasonably be held with one arm.

Nothing Buster Sword or Great Sword esque here.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

But one-handed sword come in all kinds of shapes and sizes: longsword, Katana, Jian, kopesh, falcata, gladius, rapier, sabre, etc.

It might be easier if you specify how long/big the knife is rather than providing a very vague and generalised comparison. 

Pretty much what Nato said. Your knife is probably going to be closer to a machete than a sword, about two and a half feet. No reason for a hunting knife to be any larger and even as that size it's huge.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

But one-handed sword come in all kinds of shapes and sizes: longsword, Katana, Jian, kopesh, falcata, gladius, rapier, sabre, etc.

It might be easier if you specify how long/big the knife is rather than providing a very vague and generalised comparison. 

except katana were meant to be used with both hands but that's me nitpicking swords.

Also worth noting is sword shape. Katana, for example, have a notable curve in them, and are slicing blades, as are weapons like the khopesh, sabre, and falcata. Meanwhile, the Jian (AFAIK) and longsword are balance weapons, useful for slashing and stabbing. And then you have weapons like the rapier and variants thereof, that are only useful for flicking and thrusting. So, the shape of your sword and the edges on it dictate how you can use it, too. If it's a hunting knife, thought, you're probably looking at balanced slicing and stabbing, if I had to guess.

Edited by Horse Divorce

All are not the same

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

That, and most proper swords have ridiculously long blades for usage as a hunting or carving knife. Even a machete would be a little big for that, although I suppose it could work.

meanwhile yeah

katana and longsword are primarily two handed (the katana is, in fact, a longsword, just with a curve and a single edge - alternatively, the longsword is an uncurved katana with a longer blade and two edges. techniques are actually remarkably similar with both)

jian can be one or two handed

you have swords like the various dao (i love the niuweidao), khopesh, gladius, sabre, falchion, falcata, rapier, smallsword, epee, arming sword, viking/migration period sword, spatha

all that stuff

all of which are ridiculously large for usage as a knife in even the smallest variants (and some wouldn't even work like a knife and more like a fire poker, like the rapier, smallsword, and epee)

you'd be better off looking for something with a blade of a foot and under, not a sword that you're just calling a knife*

*unless you actually are using a dao, because dao means knife and not sword

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I'm actually waiting for GM ICs for both characters ATM. Ismekne just tried to clock NPC Tarakava brains with the old-fashioned WARHAMMER SMASH from behind, and A.D.'s group is waiting for Elittra to come out of her daze. 

Not urgent, but thought I'd throw that out here. 

Edited by fishers64

Oh, something I forgot to mention earlier, just a small correction, Xaeraz: the khopesh and falcata are chopping weapons, not slicing. The Khopesh is (believed) to have been developed from an axe, in actuality, and the falcata is kinda similar, because both of them have the majority of their blade weight situated near the tip, which isn't conducive to slicing, but makes it really easy to hack and chop into whatever poor, unfortunate soul is fighting you.

profiles i guess

Meh, chop and slice are just variations of "I swing my arm" instead of "I shove my hand forwards." All other details are secondary =p

but yeah no they are actually different things i just still think like a fencer where those are literally the two forms you have: swing arm (sabre) and thrust arm (foil&epee). chopping is something totally different from slicing, like you said

Edited by Horse Divorce

All are not the same

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

Easiest way to think about it for people who don't know:

a slice, you draw the edge against the person

a chop, you're trying to force the edge into them

straight arm hacking down (chop) versus a smooth controlled motion from the shoulder with a flexible wrist (slice), basically

EDIT: A shamshir is basically a type of sabre. I saw no need to specify it, the same as I didn't specify the szabla. Sorry krayz

Edited by Grochi ad Infinitum

profiles i guess

IC: Glass

I ran up to the downed flying person.

"This is for Xara," I growled, as I stabbed downwards.

OOC: Attacking Tenjou

Hey Norik? Kale fired another laser at Glass' kraata casing right before he fired the lightning bolt at Tenjou.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Easiest way to think about it for people who don't know:

a slice, you draw the edge against the person

a chop, you're trying to force the edge into them

straight arm hacking down (chop) versus a smooth controlled motion from the shoulder with a flexible wrist (slice), basically

EDIT: A shamshir is basically a type of sabre. I saw no need to specify it, the same as I didn't specify the szabla. Sorry krayz

Krayz's favorite weapon = Shamshir. 

I feeling real hurt Grochi, who wasn't that you talked at length about sword techniques with. 

Hint it wasn't Kray. 

Granted this was like over a year ago but still.

I'm hurt. 

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Okay, as Tarsus' player, I feel that I should put forth my opinion on the subject.

I'm fine with Nocton's counter attack, and since I'm really the only person being affected by it, I don't see a need to go back and edit; what's done is done. Also, the ridge that Tarsus leapt from wasn't really that high in my head, as I assumed that Nocton was levitating about two of his body lengths off of the ground, and the ledge itself was only a few feet higher. If he succeeded in landing on Nocton (which he didn't), the likelihood of him breaking anything would be kind of slim, and since he was blasted away instead, he really only would've broke something if he landed in an extremely awkward position that wasn't covered in snow. And for the record, I'm also playing him a little closer to the canon biological make-up, which likely involves a metalic, if not outright Protosteel, skeleton.

So yeah, just wanted to put that out there.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Speaking of Nocton's levitation, I consulted with some of the more knowledgeable players on Skype, who made it clear to me that levitating on platforms made of solid shadow just isn't possible. Basically, it's the same as standing on a table then trying to lift that table with your own hands.

As Timeageness said, what's done is done, so I won't ask that any of the previous posts be edited, just that Nocton could please refrain from performing impossible actions like that in the future. 

Not really. The reason that doesn't work is because the force you exert only works because your feet normally push down. Elemental users do not move things like that, so in my opinion Elemental self-levitation should be fine. You can lift a platform of Solid Shadow, so why can't you step on it?

Because then you're lifting the platform and yourself, with yourself. 

I don't know who these supposedly knowledgeable players you consulted with are, but they seem to be unfamiliar with both logic and BIONICLE canon. (Nuju was able to levitate himself with telekinesis)

When you lift something with your mind, you're not pushing downward equally with your feet.

*Snaps fingers*

• Upvote 2

Telekinesis historically operates on a different mechanism. Elements have a much more clear cut dichotomy. Moving yourself with an element is fine, the issue is when one attempts to use it without it braced against something. Having a metal table beneath you suddenly expand to launch you up? Works perfectly fine by the mechanics of elemental kinesis. 

Having that table hover with you on it, however, does not. The reason is simple; unlike certain outright telekinetic powers, elemental kinesis is. for the sake of explanation, basically moving things with an invisible third arm that is unique to your element. Moving objects with it is just fine, but moving yourself with it simply doesn't work. This is established by several discussions from the S&T forums a good long while back.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG