Nuva OR Inika?

Question  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After the Metru Nui flashback ended and the Bionicle storyline returned to its present, many older fans were expecting the then current Toa team, the Nuva, to be the main characters in the story ahead. For some reason, Lego decided not to do this and instead introduced another team to be the main characters, the Inika, a move that caused some controversy in the Bionicle fanbase at the time. They continued as the main characters in 2007, transformed into Mahri, until their mission ended with the loss of one of them. Following that, the Nuva characters did return in 2008, replacing the Mahri as quickly as they'd been replaced in 2006, though they did this in Phantoka/Mistika forms that bore little resemblance to the ones fans had known them in. And after that year, the storyline abandoned both teams to follow Mata Nui's arrival on Bara Magna.

Let's say the storyline in 2006 had to continue with just one team as the central heroes. The options are that either the Toa Nuva return permanently, or they're removed from the storyline in some way and the Inika take over from there onwards. Which would you choose?

Edited by Sir Kohran

Ok, I voted for Nuva Characters assuming the following conditions:

1. They are characterized better (as in we learn more about each one)

2. They grow as a team (like the Metru) and stop "squabbling like Guko Birds over a berry." Because I feel like I would like the Nuva better than the Inika if this condition was met!

3. The Nuva are said to be the most powerful toa team in existence...so we should see them use their elements in ways that OTHER TOA TEAMS CAN'T!

• ​Ex. Similar stuff to The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra: Earth/Stone could in theory control unrefined metal and that sort of thing. Water could control the water within plants and whatnot. Just stuff like that would be more advanced than the regular toa and give the Nuva that title to me.

If these conditions weren't met, then I would vote for the Inika 110%.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

What was the controversy over the Nuva's replacement? I wasn't actively involved back then so it's all news to me! 

Went with the Nuva because they could have still told a great deal more story and had a whole lot of extra development that as things stand, they just didn't get... Also the Inika builds were horrible things, used much better in the Mahri but the 2006 toa on the whole were an ugly looking bunch!

Of course this poll has a fatal flaw because the story is written around new sets so bringing back the Nuva for a new transformation would have been far tougher to pull off than just introducing a new team. That's just the way it works sadly and I imagine Gen 2 will go the same way. Then again, do we really want endless transformations of the same characters?

So storywise we should've further developed the Nuva, set wise it was never likely considered as an option...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

What was the controversy over the Nuva's replacement? I wasn't actively involved back then so it's all news to me! 

Isn't it clear from what I wrote? Fans who were familiar with the Nuva were expecting them to return to the centre of the story, only to see them embarrassingly pulverised and replaced with a completely different group.

the story is written around new sets so bringing back the Nuva for a new transformation would have been far tougher to pull off than just introducing a new team.

Well, that's what was done to bring them back in 2008.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

What I did like about the way LEGO progressed the story was that despite the cast change to Inika/Mahri, they did not forget about the Toa Nuva's journey and they were eventually the ones who were able to awaken Mata Nui. As fishers64 said, I would've hated to see their destiny - undoubtedly one of the most focal points of the G1 story - be undermined with the Toa Nuva cast being removed altogether. With the other option, at least we get the Toa Nuva and the Inika characters, though the latter would not become Toa and we wouldn't get fantastic moments involving their destiny.

Overall, I like the way it turned out in reality. 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Nuuuuva. I'm really hoping to see basically the path of the 01-03 storyline (the general feel, not rehashed) but without the years interrupted with "flashbacks." Plus, I am hoping to see some familiar names, if not we can easily rename the protectors to suit either the turaga or matoran.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Hehe, pardon me for being the Makuta's Advocate here, but I feel like the Inika were a really great addition. The Nuva are amazing, don't get me wrong, but they easily defeated everything in their path, and didn't really have many conflicts within their group (their were some, but they were generally resolved easily)

The character dynamics with the Inika, however, were pretty well done. The tension between Jaller and Matoro was well written, and their initial discovery if their powers was pretty cool. In addition, they had to face some pretty tough challenges on the 777 steps; Matoro's initial sacrifice, the illusion of them killing the Nuva, etc. Plus their creation lead to new masks being created, and additional lore being explored

But I'm a bit biased towards Matoro, so my opinion may not be as valid as it looks :P

• Upvote 2

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

The character dynamics with the Inika, however, were pretty well done. The tension between Jaller and Matoro was well written, and their initial discovery if their powers was pretty cool. In addition, they had to face some pretty tough challenges on the 777 steps; Matoro's initial sacrifice, the illusion of them killing the Nuva, etc. Plus their creation lead to new masks being created, and additional lore being explored

I agree that the dynamics were well done, especially between Jaller and Matoro. However, I feel this could have been greatly improved if we had more focus on the team - only 4 books focused on them being a Toa team, which is very little.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

I would've gone for the Nuva, simply because it wouldn't have been too problematic to simply find a way to make new sets for them and incorporate the change into the story like they did in 2008. The Inika were not necessary and, although cool, their characterizations were horribly inaccurate when compared to them as Matoran.

• Upvote 2