BBCC #69: Krika

dotcom

Entry Picture

Back

Side

Whatever

I don't have a lot to say about  this one...more than accurately G2, I guess I just went for a purely CCBS build...I made it a little big, but since Bionicle 2015 has that whole thing with having sets at various sizes and pricepoints, I think it should be ok.

I don't expect to get very far in the contest, but I didn't want to not enter. So...yeah.

I should have taken better pictures, but oh well.

• Upvote 16

AXKP5KC.png

Interesting! I actually quite like this one. It looks gen 2, takes a spin on an old character making it unique but managing to remain recognizable, and in general just looks swell!

I think you could've expanded this more, going beyond just CCBS to make it even better. The choice to make Krika more rahi-like is also a good decision, making him look more gen 2. Choosing Krika to build is in itself an amiable decision, considering it's even harder to make a character/species like that look like it belongs in gen 2.

You made some pretty cool design choices in other parts as well, such as the head, where you could have easily just given him the head he had in his old set, but instead used a different technique that actually works very well, looks awesome and still has the Krika look.

The lack of arms some place at the top is the only thing that actually "bothers" me. The MOC doesn't look bad without them, but I think at least some short arms would've made the model more menacing and reminiscent of the original character (Krika's original model had arms, which you moved down to be his front legs, but I think he departs by having absolutely nothing connecting to up there).

Otherwise, it's a really awesome MOC and I love it! Despite not being the grandest, most complicated or craziest MOC we've seen so far (or likely will see), I think you have a very strong chance of winning with this beast! It ain't perfect, but it makes up for its flaws in a ton of ways, especially through the creativity!

• Upvote 2

Wow, this Krika looks fantastic! The spot where the legs attach was a bit off-putting on my first look at it, but it grew on me; it make a a lot more sense for them to be actual legs, and the cannon on the back looks very cool, too! Best of luck in the contest!

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Kopaka's blades as Krika's front legs- genius!
I really like this re-imagining of the character. It's packed full of creativity, and I really enjoy how much more animalistic it looks compared to the original. That claw-blaster on the back looks awesome, by the way.

Best of luck in the competition!

• Upvote 1

Wow a Makuta who is not Teriax... Having no idea who this is, I had to wiki him to see the original form... I think while there are a select few things you could have done differently to match the original form better. I captured this guy beautifully in CCBS. My really only gripe is the connection of the arms... They are not actually arms but forward-legs. Leaving his torso looking like a very nice Gen2 homage but armless...

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Interesting! I actually quite like this one. It looks gen 2, takes a spin on an old character making it unique but managing to remain recognizable, and in general just looks swell!

I think you could've expanded this more, going beyond just CCBS to make it even better. The choice to make Krika more rahi-like is also a good decision, making him look more gen 2. Choosing Krika to build is in itself an amiable decision, considering it's even harder to make a character/species like that look like it belongs in gen 2.

You made some pretty cool design choices in other parts as well, such as the head, where you could have easily just given him the head he had in his old set, but instead used a different technique that actually works very well, looks awesome and still has the Krika look.

Thanks for the throrough response! 

The main reason I didn't use his old head--besides the fact that I'm super lazy and didn't want to dig through my old parts to get it--is that at the scale I was building it would have probably looked much too small. I'm glad people like the alternative I took.

The lack of arms some place at the top is the only thing that actually "bothers" me. The MOC doesn't look bad without them, but I think at least some short arms would've made the model more menacing and reminiscent of the original character (Krika's original model had arms, which you moved down to be his front legs, but I think he departs by having absolutely nothing connecting to up there).

Otherwise, it's a really awesome MOC and I love it! Despite not being the grandest, most complicated or craziest MOC we've seen so far (or likely will see), I think you have a very strong chance of winning with this beast! It ain't perfect, but it makes up for its flaws in a ton of ways, especially through the creativity!

Wow a Makuta who is not Teriax... Having no idea who this is, I had to wiki him to see the original form... I think while there are a select few things you could have done differently to match the original form better. I captured this guy beautifully in CCBS. My really only gripe is the connection of the arms... They are not actually arms but forward-legs. Leaving his torso looking like a very nice Gen2 homage but armless...

I feel you about the arms. Originally I had the upper pair of legs extend upwards and so this weird thing that would make them serve more as arms, but it soon became obvious that there was no way I could make that work--Kopaka's skis are only so long, after all. If I had another pair of those parts...as it is, the only choice I had was to bring them closer to the ground. But yeah, I do get the stuff about the bare torso. I wanted to stick with 5 limbs in the end, unfortunately.

the shapes are so fluid, the color scheme is so pure, the cricket-y vibe is still there.

even though the shape is changed, that is definitely still krika there, pretty sick design too.

Kopaka's blades as Krika's front legs- genius!

I really like this re-imagining of the character. It's packed full of creativity, and I really enjoy how much more animalistic it looks compared to the original. That claw-blaster on the back looks awesome, by the way.

Best of luck in the competition!

This is pretty sweet. I love the Pridak feet for the head, and the use of Kopaka's shield pieces as front legs was something I wish I'd come up with. :P

Thanks!

Wow, this Krika looks fantastic! The spot where the legs attach was a bit off-putting on my first look at it, but it grew on me; it make a a lot more sense for them to be actual legs, and the cannon on the back looks very cool, too! Best of luck in the contest!

I'm not so proud of that area, I must admit...the gray friction extenders are an off-color, but vital, part of the design. 

I'm gonna be honest, not really sure what's going on with the torso. But the head is awesome, the forelimbs are fantastic, and all around it just feels very Krika. Good work.

Yeah, I suppose the torso has a bit much going on...the poor photo skills sure doesn't help anyway. I'm glad you like it despite that, though!

Easily recognizable as Krika. I like how you gave him a Protector gun in the same place his Ghost Blaster was, and the head and arm design, but I think the torso looks a bit swollen and weird and his leg structure looks too animalistic.

On a numbered scale I'd this a 7.5 out of 10.

Thanks! I'm glad people feel the resemblance is clear, and I'm also glad people like the claw-gun! Updating his old weird ghost blaster arm was one of the more pfun parts of this. The torso shape is definitely a bit odd, though.

So someone else is doing Krika? Well, nuts.

The resemblance is a bit vague for my taste--but it's good enough to make me worry about my chances.  

AAGH I'm so nervous now

I don't think the resemblance could be much clearer without actually using Krika's old parts, which is something I didn't really want to do. (other than the fact that they wouldn't fit at that scale, the colors wouldn't blend so well, and I'm not sure how well it would match the Gen 2 look. I think the Pridak foot, for instance, fits in with CCBS much more than the old head would.) But I do get where you're coming from! There are some things I probably could have done to resemble him more (like scoot his arms up a bit?) But I think as a reimagining it's effective enough.

I do like your Krika, though! Good luck in the contest. (and may the best cricket thing win)

AXKP5KC.png

This is fantastic! It uses none of the pieces from the original Krika set, yet captures his look really well. He's a lot bigger and armoured sure, but he retains his characteristics - colour scheme, quadrupedal design, insect-like face and even the shoulder-mounted launcher! Great attention to detail. It's pretty much entirely CCBS, which is even more impressive. Really enjoyed this recreation - I have no doubt that if Krika ever returned he would appear similar to this. :)

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Wow a Makuta who is not Teriax... Having no idea who this is, I had to wiki him to see the original form... I think while there are a select few things you could have done differently to match the original form better. I captured this guy beautifully in CCBS. My really only gripe is the connection of the arms... They are not actually arms but forward-legs. Leaving his torso looking like a very nice Gen2 homage but armless...

I feel you about the arms. Originally I had the upper pair of legs extend upwards and so this weird thing that would make them serve more as arms, but it soon became obvious that there was no way I could make that work--Kopaka's skis are only so long, after all. If I had another pair of those parts...as it is, the only choice I had was to bring them closer to the ground. But yeah, I do get the stuff about the bare torso. I wanted to stick with 5 limbs in the end, unfortunately.

Staying with the 5 arms was a good choice as it allows you to stay faithful to the original concept even if limb placement was a bit off. You don't want to overdo the number of parts because then it starts to take away from who the MOC is and becomes something else entirely.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Amazing. I love how its shapes look "futuristic" while keeping his insectoid look. I also like the fact that you placed his "arms" under his torso, giving him a even more solid insect look. I especially love the construction of his torso, great job with that. Making his legs a little bit bulkier would have helped in my opinion. Many 2015 sets are heavily armored, and his legs look a little bit tiny and slim. Still, awesome job!

• Upvote 1