BBC #69 - Gorast

UHEJypg.jpg

So after not being able to deiced what I wanted to make for BBC #69, I brainstormed a couple of ideas. There was a couple of Glatorian like Vastus and Gelu (BTW, I still might make a Vastus because I really liked that Glatorian!). Then I decided I would make Takanuva and Makuta and try to recreate the final battle scene from BIONICLE: MOL. Well while building them I stumbled across my extra Gorast that I haven't opened in years and I thought, "Hey, that would be a pretty cool model to make." Thus I began to build and I noticed how I had a bunch of CCBS pieces that I never got the chance to use from an old Bricklink order and I used them to re-make Gorast.  :D

Hopefully you guys enjoy!

By clicking the picture you'll be linked to a gallery on Imgur that shows how Gorast looks compared to her original set. You'll also see some other poses that CCBS allows for; as well as the skeleton of Gorast. I really liked how I managed to not use many Technic pieces at all to give her the extra 2 arms. 

LINK TO FULL GALLERY: http://imgur.com/a/7MAy5

Edited by AdaptingChaos
  • Upvote 10

I like the look up this update, it captures Gorast well. The usage of four of the same hands adds consistency, unlike the old version, and the torso build is unique. Very nice entry, good luck in this contest!

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I like the look up this update, it captures Gorast well. The usage of four of the same hands adds consistency, unlike the old version, and the torso build is unique. Very nice entry, good luck in this contest!

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! :D

where did the Light green Nuva armor come from?

I might be wrong, but I do believe its from one of the exo-force sets.

This seems to be pretty much on the money. commendable work :)

Right on the ball! This is the set: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7705-1 I actually dont have the set, I just bought it from Bricklink to reach a store minimum. :P Oh and thanks for your comment! :D

Edited by AdaptingChaos

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! :D

where did the Light green Nuva armor come from?

I might be wrong, but I do believe its from one of the exo-force sets.

This seems to be pretty much on the money. commendable work :)

Right on the ball! This is the set: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7705-1 I actually dont have the set, I just bought it from Bricklink to reach a store minimum. :P Oh and thanks for your comment! :D
Nice find!

This MOC is very impressive, it looks very cool, nice job.

This is cool how you made the head out of CCBS, was the original made the same way?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Interesting model, and it looks great, though I don't know that challenging yourself not to use Technic parts was necessary. After all, the contest is about updating a character for 2015, and the 2015 sets have no shortage of Technic parts! Still, the quality of the design is great.

• Upvote 1

Nice find!

This MOC is very impressive, it looks very cool, nice job.

Thanks! :D

This is cool how you made the head out of CCBS, was the original made the same way?

The original had the same neck and head design if thats what you mean. Instead of the neck being built with CCBS, it was built with old Bionicle parts (a Toa Metru lower arm). Thanks for your comment! :D

Interesting model, and it looks great, though I don't know that challenging yourself not to use Technic parts was necessary. After all, the contest is about updating a character for 2015, and the 2015 sets have no shortage of Technic parts! Still, the quality of the design is great.

Oh yeah I knew that one of the points of BBC #69 was to include a little bit of Technic, like the new Bionicle sets. However I felt that if I did include a little bit of Technic, it would look too close to the original; with the only change pretty much being replacing the Av-Matoran limbs for CCBS. So I tried to create a look which I think would be able to fit in with Gen 2 of Bionicle by using CCBS to construct the entire figure. Also building with just CCBS has made me very fond of the elements and I cant wait to order more so I can experiment with the possibilities. And thanks for your comment Aanchir! :D

Edited by AdaptingChaos

This is very cool, I was hoping to see a Gorast revamp. I do think it looks a little too much like the original, but I guess you wanted it to be accurate. I like how you designed the torso, it's a simple and effective way to attach the arms and wings and I could totally see that being used on an official set.

IetTsFQ.png

This is very cool, I was hoping to see a Gorast revamp. I do think it looks a little too much like the original, but I guess you wanted it to be accurate. I like how you designed the torso, it's a simple and effective way to attach the arms and wings and I could totally see that being used on an official set.

Thanks! I was trying to make it as accurate to the original as much as I could. :D

But yeah I'll probably try to make more revamps of older sets with CCBS (just for the fun of it, but later down the line). I'll try to add a little bit of more uniqueness to them and make them different from the original set. But anyways thanks for the feedback! :D

This is way better than the actual set. In my opinion, the Gorast set is one of the ugliest, and most annoying to pose of all the Bionicle sets.

Toa Han

Thanks! And yeah I agree with you, Gorast was one of the hardest to pose for me as well. But with this build she can be posed in many ways considering CCBS is just so good for posability! :D 

Without having the original set to hand, I'd say you've managed to pull off a pretty much exact replica of it in CCBS! In fact when I first saw your entry pic I thought you were showing us the set you were planning to recreate :D

That said, I don't know if this is a good or bad thing as basically the only parts being changed are the limbs which are much more adaptable in CCBS and so an easy switch. The fact you've managed to integrate that second set of arms and the wings so seemlessly is impressive nonetheless though and I'd certainly be interested to see how you built the top of that torso! A really solid entry, best of luck ;)

EDIT : Just clicked your pic and found the full album! SOOOO much better than the original, it makes me want to build one myself :D Very impressive torso work too, it uses a bunch of pieces I'm not familiar with which explains why I couldn't figure it out. Looks very intricate and also very solid. Great work!

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Without having the original set to hand, I'd say you've managed to pull off a pretty much exact replica of it in CCBS! In fact when I first saw your entry pic I thought you were showing us the set you were planning to recreate :D

That said, I don't know if this is a good or bad thing as basically the only parts being changed are the limbs which are much more adaptable in CCBS and so an easy switch. The fact you've managed to integrate that second set of arms and the wings so seemlessly is impressive nonetheless though and I'd certainly be interested to see how you built the top of that torso! A really solid entry, best of luck ;)

EDIT : Just clicked your pic and found the full album! SOOOO much better than the original, it makes me want to build one myself :D Very impressive torso work too, it uses a bunch of pieces I'm not familiar with which explains why I couldn't figure it out. Looks very intricate and also very solid. Great work!

Thanks for the comment Munty! :D

But yeah because the original set was made from mostly Av-Matoran limbs, I could've simply just removed them and replaced it with CCBS parts and that could've been my entry. However I tried to challenge myself by trying to create a torso that allowed for the 4-armed look that the original had, but using only CCBS pieces. I did this because I felt that if I used Technic, it would've looked too similar to the original.

Also the pieces that I used to make the torso are pieces I'm not that familiar with either. I just remember buying a bunch of CCBS pieces that I thought looked useful and interesting from a bricklink purchase I made a while ago, because I needed to reach the store minimum. :P

Edited by AdaptingChaos

Turns out to have been a very useful order then by the sounds of it! Especially if that was the same order you got that great lime green chest piece in :)

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Great to see a design both so faithful and so much an improvement!

Wow! This one looks fantastic, and definitely looks the original!

This is nice, an improvement over the original in both appearance and poseability. And it's instantly recognizable.

Thanks Akavakau, Maskmaker, and Axilus Prime! Thats what I was going for! :D

A really fantastic use of CCBS to achieve the insectoid-like look of Gorast. While colour distribution is perfect and the design creative and interesting, I think the feel of the original character could have been better achieved without the armour shells, or the Nuva chest piece. However, I am impressed by the size comparison, and the model as a whole looks loads better than the 2008 version.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

It's nice looking, like that you keep to the contest and use the Ultrabuild system but I think the claw would be better as something else and the wings lower down a bit.

Thanks for your feedback! I should post some new pictures to show off the poseability that it has, especially in the wings. In the entry picture, they appear a little bit more upwards then what it normally is. Ill update later tomorrow with a better gallery. Thanks again for your feedback! :D

A really fantastic use of CCBS to achieve the insectoid-like look of Gorast. While colour distribution is perfect and the design creative and interesting, I think the feel of the original character could have been better achieved without the armour shells, or the Nuva chest piece. However, I am impressed by the size comparison, and the model as a whole looks loads better than the 2008 version.

-NotS

Thanks for your feedback as well! I can sorta understand as to how the character couldve been better achieved without the armour shells or the Nuva plate, its just that I needed for Gorast to still have the Lime Green present, since the CCBS pieces that I used are mostly black. The lower arms of the lower set of arms are built with lime green CCBS, however those are the only two CCBS pieces I have in Lime Green. I really wish I had more CCBS pieces in different colors.. Also I feel that the Nuva chest plate goes along well with Gorast because it also adds some nice color distribution across the entire body. This was something I wanted to heavily correct since her original 2008 set had a grey chest piece, which I believe really ruined the color scheme for that set very much.

But anyways thanks for the feedback! :D

I like the smooth design and the colour scheme. I think this version has a more insectoid look, than the original. Great work!

Thanks for your comment! I tried to make sure there was more of an insect vibe by including the same claws on both sets of arms. The original set included Silver claws on the upper arms and then the black and green claws on the lower arms, which I thought broke the color scheme greatly.

You have right. She looks far better with four black and green claws. I also like the torso build and the way you attached the wings. The Nuva armor is also an interesting choice. I've alway wanted a Gorast figure with a similar look of Waspix and I think you've done a great job.

It's also amazing that your version is about the same height as the original one.

(P.s. and off: sorry for my English, I haven't used the language for a while, and I'm very busy in my workplace these weeks to think about how to write everything correctly.)

You have right. She looks far better with four black and green claws. I also like the torso build and the way you attached the wings. The Nuva armor is also an interesting choice. I've alway wanted a Gorast figure with a similar look of Waspix and I think you've done a great job.

It's also amazing that your version is about the same height as the original one.

(P.s. and off: sorry for my English, I haven't used the language for a while, and I'm very busy in my workplace these weeks to think about how to write everything correctly.)

Thanks for your comment again! And no dont worry your English is fine, I was able to understand it :)

And yeah back on the model, I really wanted to make sure that I included Lime Green on the chest area and luckily I found the Nuva chest piece I had bought years ago and it fit perfectly. 

An awesome and very precise reimagination of the original sticking-mouth Gorast. A fluid color scheme (unlike the original), excellent poseability (unlike the original) and much, much more bug-like than the Gorast we're all used to. I appreciate that you kept her sleek, and didn't bulk her too much.

Being one of my favorite Makuta, I love this revamp. I regret not getting the original set, but if I did get it, I would trade it out for this revamp!

LOL Thanks for your comment! 

An awesome and very precise reimagination of the original sticking-mouth Gorast. A fluid color scheme (unlike the original), excellent poseability (unlike the original) and much, much more bug-like than the Gorast we're all used to. I appreciate that you kept her sleek, and didn't bulk her too much.

Thanks for your comment! I really enjoyed making her more poseable especially with CCBS! Its a great system and I tired to keep the Lime and Black color scheme as I think it couldve been an amazing color scheme for the original Gorast set.