Yo yo, Piraka!
[ http://i.imgur.com/8kVW2aV.jpg?2 ]
(Sorry about this pic being blurry, I wanted the topic to include at least one pic but they were all massive, so I had to resize it. Worry not, this is not the entry pic)

Entry Pic: http://i.imgur.com/kZBcJF4.jpg

Gallery (some blurry  test pics in there, sorry!): http://imgur.com/S9S1CRv&gsjogss&c2NDsgF&KyFE6N9&8kVW2aV&kZBcJF4&bAAUmrn&6Sl2Xu3&JqbGUce&QMuc7Lh&JqF336N&jNEaRug&yLTTcFm&kNbCVPJ&tuWEbdK&nuMMTcn&Q59Yeja#0

Seeing how 2006 was Bionicle's most iconic year for me (just my personal preference, please do not swarm me with 01-03 comments), I decided to remake my first canister set: Hakaan! 
I tried to give him a sorta wannabe gangster look with the torn up sleeveless jacket (basically Sir Fangar's cape upside down), and I'm pretty happy with the result. I decided not to include a Zamor launcher because none of the large 2015 sets have a ball launcher (I don't count the stud launchers), so I thought it wouldn't really fit in, especially since he already has one big gun. Speaking of the gun itself,
one of the most important things to me was keeping the weapon flip function. Behold!

http://i.imgur.com/6Sl2Xu3.jpg

P.S: The claw is actually articulate now!

I always invisioned the Skakdi as large and menacing, but not massive (compare the '03 Toa Nuva to the Piraka sets)
Regardless, poor Tahu never stood a chance

http://i.imgur.com/tuWEbdK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q59Yeja.jpg

I hope you guys like it (and post constructive criticism!)

Edit: Pic linked; please keep posted images in BBC to 640x640 pixels and 100 kB.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 4

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

I liked the piraka and I LOVE this reimagining! The torso is great, the cloak fits really well, hands and claws all cool and I have no clue what that weapon is made of but it's an amazing feat of engineering! The only thing I'm not sure about is the lower legs where it reverts to older parts. It's a really startk contrast to the rest of the build and it just doens't feel quite right. Given how well you've done the gun and the hands I would've loved to see some custom feet too, everything else is amazing! One of my new favourites :D

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

The chunky upper body is cool, but I feel like the lower body and legs let this model down. Not only does he seem much taller than he needs to be, but the lower body doesn't feel anywhere near as solid as the upper body, and the legs feel awkwardly spindly. Also, I feel like the classic BIONICLE parts in the lower legs clash with the smoothness elsewhere in the model.

The use of Vezon's cape as a jacket is creative! And the custom gun, despite seeming a little bit overwrought, really does resemble his original weapon. But the lower body and legs just don't seem to fit as well as the rest of the design.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the legs, I was limited by the amount of dark red shells I had, so I had to revert to older parts to try and preserve the colour scheme. Regardless, I'll see how I can improve upon it. I mainly focused on making sure the gun could flip like the original sets, except this time the "claw" can actually grab things. 

Anyhow, any advice on how I can improve upon the legs and lower body?

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

Dude, that's sweet. That gun is ridiculously clever. The chest armor arrangement and the hip plates are really smooth. Your use of the cape is interesting! It's villainous in a strangely flamboyant way (which fits that smug Hakaan). You even made the gun swivel to claw mode! I made a Zaktan for the contest (not as cool), and that's one of the things I feel like I should've done.

The lower legs and arms do look a bit too G1. The best I can say for that is to hunt down some G2 parts that work for the role. The lower arms could be replaced (though they'd be shorter) with some o' these. Slap a dark red armor plate on that, and bam. It's G2. Legs, regular old CCBS lower leg section with... hm... not a lot of dark red armor to work with, eh? No dark red torso armor out there that I've seen.

This contest is deceptively challenging, isn't it? I think it'll be the black, white, silver and gray MOCs that'll look best. Seen the Vezon one?

• Upvote 1

Dude, that's sweet. That gun is ridiculously clever. The chest armor arrangement and the hip plates are really smooth. Your use of the cape is interesting! It's villainous in a strangely flamboyant way (which fits that smug Hakaan). You even made the gun swivel to claw mode! I made a Zaktan for the contest (not as cool), and that's one of the things I feel like I should've done.

The lower legs and arms do look a bit too G1. The best I can say for that is to hunt down some G2 parts that work for the role. The lower arms could be replaced (though they'd be shorter) with some o' these. Slap a dark red armor plate on that, and bam. It's G2. Legs, regular old CCBS lower leg section with... hm... not a lot of dark red armor to work with, eh? No dark red torso armor out there that I've seen.

This contest is deceptively challenging, isn't it? I think it'll be the black, white, silver and gray MOCs that'll look best. Seen the Vezon one?

There was a dark red torso with Pyrox, which I regrettably never picked up :(

I can't really advise on how to improve this as it's already better than anything I could do :P Do you have the right parts to try and replace the three short leg pieces with just two longer CCBS ones though? That might rectify the shins. I'd really like to see custom feet too, you've done wonders with the other parts of him! Remember contest rules don't allow you to change your entry once it's posted so make sure you don't alter anything officially. I imagine you could post any pics of the improvements in a different non contest topic but probably best to check with Tufi Piyufi first just in case. Would be criminal to get this entry dq'd just because some of us complained about his legs :D

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Am I the only one who noticed the name was spelt wrong? It's Hakann (two n's, not two a's).

That aside, this is a pretty sweet MOC. Those claws are super meancing. I do have issue with the legs though. Maybe it's just the position you have in the main photo, but they just look really off.

Am I the only one who noticed the name was spelt wrong? It's Hakann (two n's, not two a's).

That aside, this is a pretty sweet MOC. Those claws are super meancing. I do have issue with the legs though. Maybe it's just the position you have in the main photo, but they just look really off.

Dang it you're right  :annoyed:

If you're reading this staff, could you please fix it?

Edit: Fixed!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

Dang, I love this! Hakann is one of my favourite Piraka and you have done him justice. The colour design in the chest is perfectly replicated. The chest area is just phenomenal - the usage of larger pieces to create bulk but a more complex skeleton that integrates G1 pieces and CCBS fantastically. Also, that gun! What an innovative use of pieces! I also love that the size of this moc makes his head look pretty proportionate to the rest of the body, which is impressive. Those Piraka heads (I guess most heads after 2006) were huge.

-NotS 

tahubanner.jpg