[Actually made for 3D printing] Mask of possibilities

Maphrox: Toa of Polygons

Whenever I post something people ask for me to 3D print it

This is a bit silly I think, since there's a company that makes pretty good 3D models of the stuff I post already. It's called lego. You may have heard of it.

Anyway here's a mask requested by Wamsutta, which I'm currently experimenting with 3D printing, the Mask of Possibilites.

JGeOUdY.png

And here's the first experimental 3D print

5jVXb0G.png?1

And here's an empty space that would contain a shapeways link if I didn't care about selling a quality product:

The next iteration of the mask is ordered, assuming it turns out better I will put up a link for those who are interested.

MORE RECENT VERSIONS OF THE MASK:

Because iterating is slow when the mask has to be shipped across the atlantic (ugh), I feel like I should point out that the model I'm currently working on is quite different from the printed version shown above.

eGlM11Q.png'

I'm being careful with making too drastic changes for any one iteration, because despite it having multiple flaws I do think the original print is good. Just not great.

EDIT: As of right now, this project is done.

YM7Hiu7.jpg

Shapeways links are here:
Mask of Possibilities

Voriki parts pack

Edited by Maphrox: Toa of Polygons
  • Upvote 8

I make stuff sometimes.

This looks good! :D It's actually very close to the original drawing, so you get an upvote for that. For the next version, I'd say possibly move the eyeholes upwards a tiny bit- it might just be the camera shot, but they appear to be a little too low for a Metru head. I think the bits coming down behind the silver cheek parts could be a little bit deeper as well, but other than that, great work!  ;)

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

This looks good! :D It's actually very close to the original drawing, so you get an upvote for that. For the next version, I'd say possibly move the eyeholes upwards a tiny bit- it might just be the camera shot, but they appear to be a little too low for a Metru head. I think the bits coming down behind the silver cheek parts could be a little bit deeper as well, but other than that, great work!  ;)

Those would be the exact changes I made, along with a bit of squeezing to make it smaller.

I make stuff sometimes.

I will admit, you did a great job capturing the look of the Mask of Possibilities. It's a shame not all of the details got into the test print, but hopefully they will look better in the final.

It could be a little less... blocky, though. The original drawing was very angular, while this looks fairly close to a cube. Maybe it's just because a few of the proportions like the eyebrows and mouth are off, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

It could be a little less... blocky, though. The original drawing was very angular, while this looks fairly close to a cube. 

I'll agree it looks pretty blocky, I kind of got a bit lazy when doing the first pass and pretended it was smooth when it wasn't. Hopefully it'll come out feeling more angular with the new print, though I will say this isn't the easiest mask I've done, what with the only one picture existing.

I make stuff sometimes.

I decided to listen to feedback and apply every suggested change once for every post

M24PUV0.png

Jokes aside, yes I am aware that the eyes are too low, possibly big, the mask is huge, et cetera. Here's the actual progress of different changes made to the mask after the one in the picture:

eGlM11Q.png

You'll note the size hasn't been changed much in the one marked as "currently shipped". This was for the most part intentional, because I made multiple minor changes that might reduce how big it looks. Assuming those changes are not enough in real life, I'll get a later iteration shipped. Simple as that.

I make stuff sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new shipment, this time with dyed and polished, as well as a standard print:

P4uya9b.jpg?1

(Left to right: Original print, polished + blue dye (duh), unpolished)

From this I've learned two important things:

-Increasing polygon counts makes for a way smoother mask, as expected.

-Polishing destroys exactly none of the detail (Cool!)

-Not reducing size does not reduce size. (duuuuh)

5jVXb0G.png?1

So yeah. I'm expecting the next iteration to be the final one, the one with the fixed size.

• Upvote 1

I make stuff sometimes.

So the next iteration will be smaller, correct? Will it fit a Metru-head snuggly?

For the first time in four years ... the Bionicle story comes to a close

with the Bionicle Disunity trilogy

Were you as shocked as I was upon learning the Bionicle serials "The Yesterday Quest" and "The Powers That Be" would never be finished?

Did you know that Lego won't allow Greg Farshtey to complete the story because they want to focus on marketing G2?

My close friend The Mad Great Being has been working tirelessly on completing the Bionicle story ... and now it is finally finished. His writing style stays

true to the integrity of the characters that we know and love.  His plot ideas are something only comparable to Greg Farshtey's.

Trust me, I'm hard to please with fan-fiction.  If you liked reading Bionicle Chronicles/Adventures/Legends ... then you won't

want to miss the next best thing since learning Mata Nui was a 40-million-foot-tall robot.

BZP User The Mad Great Being presents ... Bionicle: Malevolence

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19970-the-great-being-civil-war/

Sponsored by Wamsutta

So the next iteration will be smaller, correct? Will it fit a Metru-head snuggly?

I'm aiming for big enough to fit any of the original generation heads, but small enough that it looks good on a metru head.

On another note, a conversation led to this:

hYmU0Ud.png

It's printing alongside the final-ish iteration of the Mask of Possibilities as we speak.

• Upvote 3

I make stuff sometimes.

That looks great. Can't wait to see what the future of 3D printing brings to BZP. 

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I've seen that purple mask before. Where was its fanon debut again?

Were you as shocked as I was upon learning the Bionicle serials "The Yesterday Quest" and "The Powers That Be" would never be finished?

Did you know that Lego won't allow Greg Farshtey to complete the story because they want to focus on marketing G2?

My close friend The Mad Great Being has been working tirelessly on completing the Bionicle story ... and now it is finally finished. His writing style stays

true to the integrity of the characters that we know and love.  His plot ideas are something only comparable to Greg Farshtey's.

Trust me, I'm hard to please with fan-fiction.  If you liked reading Bionicle Chronicles/Adventures/Legends ... then you won't

want to miss the next best thing since learning Mata Nui was a 40-million-foot-tall robot.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work. I've never heard of the first mask but it's looking really cool. I was actually looking for pictures of the old Voriki mask to use as a basis for a 3D printing design when I stumbled upon this topic. I actually once tried to make my own Voriki mask out of clay and then use a paint on material to make a mold which I used to create a version of the mask in liquid plastic, but it never looked quite right and ended up rather sticky like a jolly rancher when I tried to cast it using liquid plastic. With the rise in 3D printing, I've come to realize that it's probably more possible than it used to be to obtain a quality custom mask without being a master clay sculptor.

I really like the way the Voriki mask is looking but would help if the lightning parts were to be angled a little differently? In the original edit, they look a little more diagonal. Seems like if somebody were to make, Voriki's staff, the only thing keeping us from making a full Voriki MOC would be a few recolored Tahu Mata parts.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing with the BZP community. I'm very interested in buying both of these when you finalize the designs.

A Turaga

You are a very wise Turaga.

Ultimate Bionicle Knowledge Quiz

• 2 weeks later...
YM7Hiu7.jpg

THEY'RE DONE

yXErgc1.jpg

As of the most recent 3D print, I'm calling these done. The mask of possibilities fits a metru head, and the voriki mask goes on a Mata head. I believe this is good enough.

As an added bonus, I also took the time to make the head of Voriki's staff. For the shaft, I reccomend any long axle part you have lying around.

The shapeways link will be up in the first post as soon as it's ready.

• Upvote 1

I make stuff sometimes.

Outstanding!!! I love how they came out!!

Sponsored by Wamsutta

Would you continue doing this? You have great talent at this. :) I'd love to see a Mask of Conjuring created.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!

Do you know if there is any reason why the Voriki parts pack is listed on Shapeways as "Not for Sale"? I really wanted to purchase one!

Sponsored by Wamsutta

Hey, Maphrox, if you're taking requests, could you please create a gen 2 Kaukau or at least create a 3D model and place the file on somewhere for a download? 

This is pretty nice! I really like that you didn't put out a link to a bad quality product unlike some unnamed 3D printed kanohi maker on BZP.

Who was this 3D kanohi maker?

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Hi again!

Do you know if there is any reason why the Voriki parts pack is listed on Shapeways as "Not for Sale"? I really wanted to purchase one!

(Copy/pasting the message I put down somewhere else for this)

All right, so I got a message from Shapeways basically saying that someone printed this and it didn't fit

Sorry about that, it's a consequence of the error margin on printing with that particular plastic. It's something I haven't had to deal with myself, usually mine are too tight and need polishing

For future reference, if 3D printed parts have these issues, a way to tighten them up is using some clear nail polish, or any other clear stuff in acetone

I've made a slight update to the model, hopefully this shifts the friction towards being more on the tight side of things.

Also I'm looking into other plastics to use because strong light and flexible has some issues.

While I'm checking the new version, it'll be unavailable for purchase.

• Upvote 1

I make stuff sometimes.

v2f9MgS.jpg

Here's a comparison with the closest I could find, the Nui-Jaga pakari. It's notably brighter, that's for sure.

So I have never heard of this Voriki but it does look interesting with its star shape and lightning extensions. Oddly it looks an awful lot like the Pakari. To the point it looks like you took a soft mold of it and shaped it into a star design then pasted the lightning bolts to change it further. Was this intentional to look like this?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So I have never heard of this Voriki but it does look interesting with its star shape and lightning extensions. Oddly it looks an awful lot like the Pakari. To the point it looks like you took a soft mold of it and shaped it into a star design then pasted the lightning bolts to change it further. Was this intentional to look like this?

Yeah, back in 2001 we didn't know who the seventh toa was going to be, and somehow someone got people thinking that it was this bad photoshopped image. Maphrox already put the picture up, but here it is again.

Toa%20Voriki.jpg

Edited by MrCod

Yesterday I was lucky enough to get my Mask of Possibilities from shapeways! They said that the estimated arrival date would be May 26th, but it arrived eleven days early! I already really like this company.

Here are some images that I took of my skeletal Nikila MOC and Lesovikk.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131536443@N07/sets/72157652516128899

If anyone wants to see any more photos don't hesitate to ask! :)

My review of the product is simple and quick:  1) I love the detail in the mask itself.  2) The plastic from Shapeways seems slightly fragile to me, still strong enough, yet I am afraid that I may break it accidentally.  3) The mask is slightly big on a Metru head, but I don't really have any complaints other than that.  4) As others have said, the mask is a bit loose when putting the axle into the mouth of the head.  Is there any particular nail polish I should use?  5) Overall, beautiful detail, but the limiting material that shapeways.com provides us with hinders it from being 10/10 instead of a 9/10.

Edited by Wamsutta

Sponsored by Wamsutta

Yesterday I was lucky enough to get my Mask of Possibilities from shapeways! They said that the estimated arrival date would be May 26th, but it arrived nine days early! I already really like this company.

The plastic from Shapeways seems slightly fragile to me, still strong enough, yet I am afraid that I may break it accidentally. 

I know right? The shipping times are great.

Since I've been iterating on this thing a lot I've had the opportunity to test the quality of the plastic, and let's just say at least I've done quite a few drop tests with no major consequences

As others have said, the mask is a bit loose when putting the axle into the mouth of the head.  Is there any particular nail polish I should use?

Pretty much any acetone nail polish should work

I make stuff sometimes.

The Voriki parts pack is back up for sale, now also in acrylic plastic.

Some notes on the acrylic plastic:
-It's smoother, but still not 100% perfectly smooth. 

-It feels noticeably harder than the strong and flexible plastic. Due to this, I expect it to be slightly more brittle, so handle with care

-I've made minor changes to the mask to fit with the design specifications of acrylic plastic, mostly thickening parts that were previously too thin

-Due to a customer service complaint, I've had to tighten the peg. This should prevent the issue where some masks would be too loose, however, there's still a risk of them being too tight. 100% guaranteed absolute accuracy is impossible, and you should expect to have to adjust the peg if it's tight. A simple way to do this is using a knife.

-Acrylic plastic is not available in color, only white. You will have to paint it if you want any specific color.

-The price is higher, this is just a matter of how much Shapeways charges for the material

Overall, if you have any ability to scrape plastic with a knife and paint it, I recommend the acrylic plastic.

And of course, here's a picture comparing the two.

v8NQKX4.png

I make stuff sometimes.