Your Nintendo 64 Kid Moments

SuperStickman117

So, what are your N64 kid moments? For those who don't know, the Nintendo 64 kid was a commercial way back when the N64 was first coming out, where a kid unwrapped an Nintendo 64 for Christmas(?) and yelled "IT'S A NINTENDO 64!!!!", causing a fad. Whenever someone reacts to something with extreme excitement, it's called an N64 kid moment. So, what are yours? Mine would be when my family got me an Xbox 360 for my birthday.

redteamsig.jpg

Credit for the avatar and banner goes to Shattered Mask Productions.

When for my birthday I got N64. No lie. I remember the box being about 50 stories high (Being three at the time) and thinking climbing on top of it was the GREATEST thing ever. Then I played Star Fox 64.

"Boss! Da needle is pointin' in da red! Dat ain't good!"
"Course it's good ya squealin' runt! Red goes fastah!"

Orks... Such wonderfully simple creatures.

Encountering the piano in Super Mario 64 (who said it had to be a good moment) then beating Super Mario 64 after NINE years of playing it (no joke) then this is recent but beating Ocarina of time, oh and finding a golden holographic cartridge of Majora's Mask.

I'm just ToaD

Mine was somewhat...odd.It was a normal Christmas. We were having our holiday in the 'study' as opposed to the Family Room, Living Room, or the Dining Room, which where the typical and more normal choices in our house. I had opened a few presents. There were LEGO sets, but then, I opened another one, a box I presumed to be LEGO, only to tear it open and see, SUPER MARIO 64 on the box. I proceeded to look up at my mother, and say - in a bizarrely mature moment for a 6-7 year old - the funniest phrase ever uttered on a Christmas."Mom, why did you waste money on this ****? We don't even own one of those video game machines!"I tossed it in the corner, mumbling about the receipt, and opened more presents. Finally, it was time to open the largest ones, and the first one was oddly-shaped. I tore it open, and inside was one of those Costco collection type thingies. With a Nintendo 64, an extra controller, rumble pack, memory pack, and Banjo-Kazooie.Did I turn into a scream hysterical kiddy worthy of $10,000 and a guest spot on AFV? No. I turned to my mother and said, "Mom, don't you think you should have had me open this one sooner?"Coincidentally, I NEVER saw those commercials. I did see the videos on America's Funniest Home Videos of this and similar over-the-to- reactions, but I've NEVER heard them referred to exclusively as N64 Moments."Encountering the piano in Super Mario 64"Did I miss something? I don't remember a piano in that game.....Also, it took me...let's see...I was around 18, so....12 years for me to beat it! Mainly because of that ******* clock world, and the time Star in Peach's slide.

Edited by Malevolence

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

Did I miss something? I don't remember a piano in that game.....Also, it took me...let's see...I was around 18, so....12 years for me to beat it! Mainly because of that ******* clock world, and the time Star in Peach's slide.

It was in the haunted house with the Boos in it. Many people remember it scaring them as a kid. Edited by Superbionicle

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

Making a 2-lap comeback from last place on Pirate Skull Pass (yep, I'm talking about Lego Racers 1) and edging out Basil the Batlord on the finish line (by shooting him with a cannon ball and then literally driving under him as he fell) by 3-hundredths of a second definitely qualifies for me. Beating Rocket Racer in a game of "warp tag" (as I like to call it) by 1-hundredth of a second might qualify too, but I didn't have such a big reaction.The only other moments that might qualify that I can think of are:

• [*]The first time I went to Legoland California, recognizing the giant letters on LEGOLand Drive, and realizing I was 1,500 feet away from 7-year-old heaven ^_^[*]When my little brother and I received MoL, LoMN, and WoS for Christmas (TLR hadn't come out yet). I had been waiting to watch those movies for years, and I'll never forget my reaction ^_^[*]When my little brother bought me BH for Christmas - this is a different Christmas - and I nearly cried.[*]Scoring in overtime to win my hockey team the house league championship. That was basically a dream come true - a dream I had had inside my head for almost 8 years.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

That Piano scared me too guys. :fear:I loved Super Mario 64.... My childhood game. It was my FAVORITE game as a little kid. But now I found Ocarina of time. :POh yeah and I also remember getting the Gamecube with Super Mario Sunshine. Having a hard time beating Petey Pirahna.... Ahh.... Goooooood times. Playing Brawl for the first time and beating my friend who owned the game... :superfunny: Of course maybe that was after a few tries..... Oh and first playing a LoZ game. I was hooked.~PowerMiner~

The music for Lava Lava Land in Super Mario 64 gave me the chills when I was a kid. The ENTIRE Boo's Mansion level scared me to death, too.EDIT: Oh, right, more on topic, I beat the Diamond Cup on F-Zero GX on Master difficulty, by 1 point, which I got because I beat the second place finisher by .001 seconds in the last race. I absolutely flipped out because I'd spent, collectively, about 5 hours trying to beat that cup.

Edited by Deep-Freeze
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

I got mine in X-mas of 2000. Wanted one for a while. I was 12 and dumb and realized something new and better was coming out soon, but the reality was...I just wanted to have it and buy games at clearanced prices. I never had the opportunity to do so except many years later.Also, I new emulate every game. But I moved into a place with a 'game room' and it's optimal for consoles (I'm not a fan, everything I do is PC).

Edited by Toa Takiah, Toa of Space

See...to them, you're just a freak.

Like me!

i always find it so odd that the playstation sold outsold this thing nearly 5 to 1 yet no kid ever talks about how they had one of them growing up. it's always the n64.anyway, my memory of the n64 was all my friends having one, then i got a ps2 when it came out and everyone was jelly.EDIT: and i just realized how this post makes me come off as a fanboy troll... :|

Edited by BBCCD
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

• 2 weeks later...

My first LoZ accomplishment moment-grabbing that goat by the horns in Twilight Princess, back in Ordon.And every boss fight I've won in a Nintendo game.Nintendo boss fights just feel so rewarding, mainly because they're so well executed.

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

The closest thing I can really remember to this came while sifting through material I'd collected at Aurora, NC - specifically the sifting pile outside of the museum, because the mine itself has been closed to fossil collectors for a while now (should be opening up sometime in the near future, if the information I got on why it's been closed was accurate in any way).Anyway, I'd filled several bags up with said material, and spent the better part of the summer sifting through it, looking, primarily, for shark teeth. Most of them were fairly common - tigers, hammerheads, a few variations on the Carcharhinus genus, that sort of thing - but one small tooth I found pretty much topped everything else I found that day. It was, on the off chance that you're interested in looking it up to see why it was so exciting, a Hexanchus, and, barring a few exceptional specimens from more common genre, it was the best tooth of the year.Plans are in the works to revisit Aurora (and, if I'm lucky, Green Mill Run on the way up there) but nothing definite yet.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

i always find it so odd that the playstation sold outsold this thing nearly 5 to 1 yet no kid ever talks about how they had one of them growing up. it's always the n64.

Yeah, really. I suppose it's because the N64 is the greatest console ever...For me, when I got my PS2 (I was about 6). My first ever game system. Oh, that thing is so awesome.

i always get annoyed at people who thing that the N64 games are nostalgic. most people who play them now weren't old enough back then to even consider it nostalgic, considering they were 3 or 4. its like me saying NES games are nostalgic even though i was a baby.

This topic so far

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Eh, I grew up playing the N64. It was the game system that was there when I first became aware of video games, and I've still got that same one. Just because you weren't old enough when it came out doesn't mean it can't've been the first one you played.Kinda beside the point of the topic, though, apart from the unfortunately misleading title.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

BBCCD: I would say NES games are nostalgic for me; even though I was playing them when I was very young. However, N64 games are definitely nostalgic for me... In a way. I've never actually stopped playing most of them, see, so the only ones that I'd have nostalgia for, are the ones I don't have, that I only managed to play for a week or two, if that.(Or in other cases, stuff like Paper Mario.) Basically, if you played them once, even if it was only ten years ago or so, when the Gamecube was just gaining power, that doesn't mean that it's not nostalgic; that's about when I got my N64, anyway. =P

Wait a tick, the GCN came out 10 years ago or so? Wow. I'm old. Something's been around for that much of my life, and I still consider it new.Speaking of which, the first time I caught a coelacanth on Animal Crossing pretty much qualifies as one of those moments. Now if only I could get around to actually finding a nice fossilized one in real life.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

when the Gamecube was just gaining power

lol

BBCCD: I would say NES games are nostalgic for me; even though I was playing them when I was very young. However, N64 games are definitely nostalgic for me... In a way. I've never actually stopped playing most of them, see, so the only ones that I'd have nostalgia for, are the ones I don't have, that I only managed to play for a week or two, if that.(Or in other cases, stuff like Paper Mario.) Basically, if you played them once, even if it was only ten years ago or so, when the Gamecube was just gaining power, that doesn't mean that it's not nostalgic; that's about when I got my N64, anyway. =P

i understand when people consider it nostalgic when they grew up with it, i'm not talking about them. i'm talking about the kids who grew up with later consoles, and didn't even have N64s because they were toddlers and wouldn't remember the games even if they did have one at the time. older people like us (you're 19 i'm assuming based on your profile) who are actually old enough to remember playing the console can legitimately call it nostalgic, because we grew up with it.

GCN

...why do people call it this? i have never, never understood this. not a single person has ever called it the "GameCube Nintendo" just like not a single person has ever called it a "64 Nintendo" or an "Entertainment System Nintendo". Company name comes first, it should be and is definitely NGC.
This topic so far

Vs.

That's just the first acronym I ever saw for it. No idea what the origin for it was, but official-looking websites (like the Nintendo one) used it, so I just sort of went with it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Wait a tick, the GCN came out 10 years ago or so? Wow. I'm old. Something's been around for that much of my life, and I still consider it new.Speaking of which, the first time I caught a coelacanth on Animal Crossing pretty much qualifies as one of those moments. Now if only I could get around to actually finding a nice fossilized one in real life.

Yep; came out in 2001, it's now 2011. Been around for 10 years, been dead for about 5.

when the Gamecube was just gaining power

lol

i understand when people consider it nostalgic when they grew up with it, i'm not talking about them. i'm talking about the kids who grew up with later consoles, and didn't even have N64s because they were toddlers and wouldn't remember the games even if they did have one at the time. older people like us (you're 19 i'm assuming based on your profile) who are actually old enough to remember playing the console can legitimately call it nostalgic, because we grew up with it.

GCN

...why do people call it this? i have never, never understood this. not a single person has ever called it the "GameCube Nintendo" just like not a single person has ever called it a "64 Nintendo" or an "Entertainment System Nintendo". Company name comes first, it should be and is definitely NGC.
1. Well, when I said that, I didn't mean winning in the slightest(It didn't win); I meant that it was taking control over the N64, kinda like when the DS came out, and it took a while to kill off the Game Boy. =P2. Ah, I see, yeah that does make sense, and I see what you're saying now. That actually is odd, I have to say. But yeah, I agree with you now that I understand what you mean, and yes, my profile is correct. =P3. If I remember correctly, Nintendo had some problem when trying to get the acronym for the Gamecube; so even though to say it out loud it was the Nintendo Gamecube... It was GCN for everything else. I believe someone had already been using that acronym when they brought out the Gamecube. Been a while since I last heard about all that, though.

• 2 weeks later...