Elemental "Planets"? (G2)

I don't know if anyone has started a discussion on this or not (I didn't see one), but I am intrigued by the planets that have been showing up in the sky through various places; toy boxes, story videos, magazines, etc. From episode 1 on the website, there is a fresco or mural that seems to show the Masters descending from some sort of celestial bodies. Furthermore, these "planets" seem to have a similar color scheme to the Masters. 

Could this mean that there are more Toa-like or villager-like beings living on the planets? Perhaps the story will move beyond the confines of Okoto at some point.

Along the same line, what relation do the skeletal villains we saw at NYC to the planets and/or toa?

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts.   

• Upvote 1

~Madu-

<}> <}>

~

RPG Profiles:

Cresk

All will be revealed in time (we hope :P ). Personally, I'd be okay if we just left the planets out of the story for a while so that we can focus on the planet that Okoto is on (it can't be the ONLY landmass, can it?).

We hope indeed. There really hasn't been any mention of other landmass so far (which isn't to abnormal, seeing the line is a couple months old), but I suppose it's a possibility. Of course, we don't even really know that Okoto is on a planet. It could be some sort of moon (again) or something new entirely.

Given how disastrous it was for the story when Bionicle originally moved beyond one planet, I sincerely hope the reboot never does so. Thankfully, it's probably artistic license for showing how the Toa arrived rather than foreshadowing.

~B~

I personally wasn't particularly displeased with the Bara Magna arc. Thus I think it might be cool to have some sort of intraplanetary stuff going on. Space is an environment Bionicle really hasn't explored, and the exploration of new islands, oceans, and even planets is one of the things I liked best about G1.

You may be right about the artistic liscence, though, in which case I can only hope the story goes beyond Okoto.

~Madu-

<}> <}>

~

RPG Profiles:

Cresk

They come from the Red Star. In the old story, the Toa were killed and given new bodies. They were sent to Okoto.  :P

Anyway, I think that they will visit the planets. It reminds me of the Slizer story. What about this theory: the Toa ARE the planets.

• Upvote 2

cringe

Not sure we have enough information at this stage to know what's up with those planet.  We know that comets somehow transported the Toa to Okoto, but it's all intentionally vague about the cosmology of this new world.  You're right, though, those planets do show up an awful lot in all the artwork we've seen so far.

As for the skeletal beings...

If you watched the videos that were released too early, it looks like something (presumably them), rises from the ground in a zombie-like fashion.  That, paired with the whole skull thing, leads me to believe that they're some sort of undead creatures.  Maybe they're tied in with the ancient ruins on the island, but I don't think they're from another planet.

This isn't really 100% related to this theory, but I figured I'd mention it here since it is related to the planetary alignment. A lot of people have speculated that the use of the Mask of Time to summon the Toa means that the Toa must have time-traveled from the past or future. But based on the depiction of the planetary alignment, I've considered an alternative theory—that the Toa did NOT travel through time, but rather that the planetary alignment was crucial to their summoning in one way or another, and that the ACTUAL use of the Mask of Time was to manipulate the flow of time so as to bring that alignment about ahead of schedule.

Anyway, regarding the actual theory here: I doubt that the elemental planets (if that's indeed what they are) will be visited at any point, solely because I think it would be impractical to visit six distinct planets whether it was done in a single year (since that might be too much content to cram into one year's story) or spread out over several years (which would become dull and formulaic long before we reached the final planet). The planets might be interacted with in some other way (such as other inhabitants of that planet arriving on Okoto, or future astrological events involving the movement of those planets like the movement of the Red Star in the classic story), but I don't think any of those planets will ever become a long-term setting for the story.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Given how disastrous it was for the story when Bionicle originally moved beyond one planet, I sincerely hope the reboot never does so. Thankfully, it's probably artistic license for showing how the Toa arrived rather than foreshadowing.

~B~

It was bad execution. If they can learn from their mistakes, I would be all up for a planetary location change.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

~B~

It was bad execution. If they can learn from their mistakes, I would be all up for a planetary location change.

-NotS

Maybe. But SIX planetary location changes? As I said in the post right above yours, there's no easy way to tackle that. If you do it all in one year, each change in setting will end up rushed, leading to a threadbare and confusing story. If you do them one or two per year, on the other hand, then by the second or third year of that the changes in setting will seem formulaic and dull, making people impatient for that story arc to be over.

It could MAYBE be done if the story had the Toa split up and head to their respective elemental planet, a la the Hero Factory Breakout storyline. But as far as I'm concerned, I feel Bionicle tells a more compelling story when the Toa operate as a team or as sub-groups of a team, rather than tackling their quests completely on their own.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I just hope that if these planetary bodies do become relevant to the story, they won't just be generic planets, like a forest planet, lava planet etc. 

It would also be interesting to learn more in the future about the planet Okoto sits on and the system in which Okoto resides. 

~B~

-NotS

Maybe. But SIX planetary location changes? As I said in the post right above yours, there's no easy way to tackle that. If you do it all in one year, each change in setting will end up rushed, leading to a threadbare and confusing story. If you do them one or two per year, on the other hand, then by the second or third year of that the changes in setting will seem formulaic and dull, making people impatient for that story arc to be over.

It could MAYBE be done if the story had the Toa split up and head to their respective elemental planet, a la the Hero Factory Breakout storyline. But as far as I'm concerned, I feel Bionicle tells a more compelling story when the Toa operate as a team or as sub-groups of a team, rather than tackling their quests completely on their own.

I think you're probably right Lyichir. And I wasn't necessarily thinking of the planets as a long term location. Perhaps visits to them could be part of a subplot or even sped up and visited over the course of a single year.  I don't think it likely at all that they will be a long term location, but perhaps we will get to see some of what is going on there.

• Upvote 1

~Madu-

<}> <}>

~

RPG Profiles:

Cresk