Big Hero 6

Karetao

I can't seem to find a thread on this, but for those who have seen the movie, what did you think? (Remember to use spoiler tags.) For those who haven't seen it, what do you think of what you know about it? Anyone love it? Hate it? Why? Favorite/least favorite character(s)?

Personally, I really enjoyed the ride, but I felt some improvements could have been made to the pacing, but I can't blame them in a sub two hour movie. Ironically, I actually had a strange dream where Baymax was in Metru Nui last night, hahah. Naturally, I liked Baymax the most (I'm a definite robot fan).

Spoilers, I guess, for the first 15-ish minutes of the movie.

I enjoyed the move for the most part. My only real complaint is that the supporting characters weren't given that much to do. I get that the whole point of the story is supposed to be about Hiro getting over the death of his brother with Baymax as a catalyst for that... but even so it was disappointing to me how they were used pretty much exclusively for action scenes. Go Go seemed especially cool and I wanted more of her.

And also I'm just not sure if the movie devoted enough time to that theme. It comes in the end, obvisouly, and some parts in the middle, but I'm not sure of it was enought to really differentiate it from all the other comic book movies we've been getting recently.

But I really liked how the movie glorified science by having all the characters' "powers" come from their lab experiments. And the lab scene itself is really wonderful even if the science itself is pretty wonky. If kids watche this movie and get inspired to pursue science related interests, then I think all other flaws can be forgiven.

I'll be getting the DVD from the library soon so maybe a second watch will give me a different viewpoint on the movie (as a second viewing usually does).

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Great film, with action, effects, story, and heart [:P] Loved Baymax, he was adorable [:P] The jokes were surprisingly funny for disney, and the whole superhero-ish theme was classic comic-book craziness [:P] If a little cheesy at times (like the "origin story" part 9_9 [:P]) 

I look forward to the sequel, where they'll brutalise the theme and everyone will hate it :D [:P] [:P]

cLT23Pz.png

I was surprised to find that this film comes from one of Marvel's properties - and that it's VASTLY different from it! Another thing is that we were next to last to get it in theatres. It'll probably be summer by the time it gets its home release, and the US already has one! I'm tempted to buy a copy from there, but I don't think that'd be financially sound...

I say it wouldn't be financially sound, but... in my latest spending spree, I did it anyway! This way I won't have lost interest in the whole thing by the time I get my copy. ...it won't get me in trouble, will it?

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

Great film, with action, effects, story, and heart [ :P] Loved Baymax, he was adorable [:P] The jokes were surprisingly funny for disney, and the whole superhero-ish theme was classic comic-book craziness [:P] If a little cheesy at times (like the "origin story" part 9_9 [:P]) 

I look forward to the sequel, where they'll brutalise the theme and everyone will hate it :D [:P] [:P]

Exactly as I do. -Spongebob.

cringe

Go-go was the best character.

I'd be much more interested in a spin-off with her as the star.

I don't think there's much hope for a sequel or television spinoff, but I'd be very interested in a comic series. It could continue the story while providing opportunities to spotlight the supporting characters. I know that it's already based on a Marvel property, but the film and original comic are different enough that a completely new comic would be necessary.

I say it wouldn't be financially sound, but... in my latest spending spree, I did it anyway!

Hopefully it was the Blu-Ray so you avoid those pesky region code problems!

BZPRPG

• 2 weeks later...

It was, and I loved it!

...reading those IMDb reviews hurt. :(

Well there's your problem!

Unless you mean negative reviews rather than poorly written ones. In which case... just ignore them. Not everyone is going to have the same tastes, but most importantly you don't need anyone's validation in order to enjoy your movie. Once you realize that, it actaully becomes kind of interesting to read negative reviews of films you like. If you can read those criticisms and argue against them (mentally or with an actual person) then it just enhances your appreciation for the movie. Also, every movie is flawed, and it's better to understand those flaws rather than pretend they don't exist. I even wrote a whole blog post detailing the issues I have with one of my favorite movies, though I never ended up posting it.

And so this post ends up being on topic, I rewatched Big Hero 6 the other day and found that I enjoyed it much more. I still stand by some of my criticisms, mainly the one that the supporting characters could have been utilized more. I know the focus was supposed to be on Hiro and Baymax, but I don't think the film would have lost anything by giving the other four more screen time and dialogue. I did see, however, that the film's themes of dealing with grief ran a little deeper than I thought, and it did feel slightly different than some comic book adaptions. Even so, the film blatantly embracing now tired comic book tropes did it no favors, and the fact that Fred called out those tropes at least twice only made it more grating. But despite that I liked it. I'd happily watch it again.

BZPRPG

• 2 weeks later...