Go Vote in BBC Contest #69

After some unforeseen delays, the polls for BBC Contest #69: Everything Old is New Again! have been kicked off! There are twelve polls to vote in and over one hundred entries, but only thirteen will move on to the final round, and it's up to you to decide who that will be! The preliminary polls end on Saturday, March 21st at 11:59 PM Eastern, so head on over there now and cast your votes and help pick the finalists!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Does anybody know what's going on with the polls? Some are private, some public. Not that it is a major concern, just wanting to make sure it is all working as intended :P

This was unintentional and should be fixed. The system to hide votes is a little touchy, and tends to reset itself if you edit the first post of the topic (to fix a thumbnail, for instance).
  • Upvote 3

Does anybody know what's going on with the polls? Some are private, some public. Not that it is a major concern, just wanting to make sure it is all working as intended :P

This was unintentional and should be fixed. The system to hide votes is a little touchy, and tends to reset itself if you edit the first post of the topic (to fix a thumbnail, for instance).

Ok, thanks for the info!

I appreciate the anonymity of the polls, but I feel like everybody saying their votes is kinda defeating that purpose... Is this common in BBC polls?

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Ok, thanks for the info!

I appreciate the anonymity of the polls, but I feel like everybody saying their votes is kinda defeating that purpose... Is this common in BBC polls?

Some people share which entry they voted for in BZPower contest polls, but there's no pressure to share if you don't want to. I can guarantee you that a lot of people just vote without sharing who they voted for. But posting to show your support for another builder's entry can sometimes really make them very happy. :)

• Upvote 5

Ok, thanks for the info!

Some people share which entry they voted for in BZPower contest polls, but there's no pressure to share if you don't want to. I can guarantee you that a lot of people just vote without sharing who they voted for. But posting to show your support for another builder's entry can sometimes really make them very happy. :)

In the same vein it can be really disheartening to some who may have less than popular entries...

But I can understand showing support, it makes sense to cheer on the entry you voted for, you wouldn't expect people at a sports event to stay silent when supporting their team :P

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Ok, thanks for the info!

In the past BZP always had public poll results throughout contests. The practice of making the results hidden until the polls finish has been a recent development after a contest recently had some ... unsportsmanlike conduct happened due to voting being visible.

It's a shame, because I liked being able to follow how entries were doing while voting is active.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Posts used to occasionally count in the contest voting forums, which I think contributed to the vote-sharing mentality.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. It was the LDG and BBC voting that counted, I believe.

Come to think of it, why don't we switch back to contest polls counting for post count? There are few enough contest polls as it is nowadays, and it would make sense given G&T posts now counting.

~B~

Posts used to occasionally count in the contest voting forums, which I think contributed to the vote-sharing mentality.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. It was the LDG and BBC voting that counted, I believe.

Come to think of it, why don't we switch back to contest polls counting for post count? There are few enough contest polls as it is nowadays, and it would make sense given G&T posts now counting.

~B~

And the fact that every other poll on the board has counted posts. :shrugs:

Im not sure if this has been fixed yet, but the Show Results null vote just takes your vote, but doesnt share results.

That doesn't need to be fixed, the polls are set up so no one can see the results before they are over.

Whats the point of null vote then? It clearly says "View results (Null vote)". Just thought it might be fixed since some people might give up their vote to see the results

Sorry if Im missing the point of the null vote here or something

Edited by Thau Nvua

Im not sure if this has been fixed yet, but the Show Results null vote just takes your vote, but doesnt share results.

That doesn't need to be fixed, the polls are set up so no one can see the results before they are over.

Whats the point of null vote then? It clearly says "View results (Null vote)". Just thought it might be fixed since some people might give up their vote to see the results

You used to be able to give up your vote to see the results, and can still do that in many polls on BZP. Unfortunately, because we had people engaging in questionable behavior in the BBC Contest polls in the past, we have opted to hide the results from everyone until the polls are closed. The 'null vote' option is still there because of the way the modification to hide the results works.

You used to be able to give up your vote to see the results, and can still do that in many polls on BZP. Unfortunately, because we had people engaging in questionable behavior in the BBC Contest polls in the past, we have opted to hide the results from everyone until the polls are closed. The 'null vote' option is still there because of the way the modification to hide the results works.

Will this be going for all or most contests in the future? I like these changes.

Thanks for the answer! Yeah it makes sense to hide the results completely

Whoa wait, is the preliminary voting over already??? We've waited weeks for these to go up and in 2 days they're up and down again? Can we please have an extension so this at least lasts an entire weekend? Preferably a whole week after the amount of time everyone put into these MOCs. I didn't even see this post until now so it seems I won't be getting a vote and I doubt I'm the only one. Any word on whether this is over or not would be appreciated!

EDIT : I saw the final poll topic immediately after posting this so that answers my question. I really hope a reasonable number of folks were able to get their votes in for this as 2 days seems like a very short space of time. Especially as it came as a somewhat sudden surprise! Is voting always over this quickly? I never saw one of these competitions before...

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!