Simplifying the Species List

Just curious as to where this came from? I always liked the idea that Trinuma and Hydraxon were from the same race, due to their similar in-story height and basic appearance, apparent lack of any powers, and their habit of coating themselves in weaponry.

The only confirmed facts we know about Trinuma's species is they can use Kanohi, are similar to a Toa in height, and have horns. Mantax, pre-mutation, could have fit all of those descriptions, and in his mutation, the horns changed to the tentacles on the back of his head. Hydraxon, however, shows no indication of having horns.

Um, what? Trinuma's set appearance is the only thing that would make him "Toa height." Go read the end of Toa Nuva Blog and any others Trinuma appeared in. He's described as 9 feet tall, where a Toa is only 7. Hydraxon is slightly taller than a Toa, set-wise, which puts him close to 9 feet, as well. Please do check your sources first. ;)

Darkness and Brutaka I lumped together mostly because of a similar physical appearance. As I recall, Brutaka had two tiny extra arms ending in claws on either side of his stomach. Darkness' claws could be a bit more developed. Though it does leave you to wonder what happened to the extra arms on Sidorak and Voporak...

Nope. On Brutaka, those are protosteel throwing knives.

BS01:

Additionally, two Protosteel throwing knives are hidden in his back armor.

His extra set of "arms" are never mentioned in-story, so the general consensus is that they are just built into his armor. Not arms, then. That would mean that he could fit with Sidorak, but Darkness is the oddity in that he has multiple arms. Maybe a mutant like Voporak, who also has extra limbs? That would make more sense. :)

One more thing:

They don't make sense when analyzed too closely.

So, what you're saying is that we shouldn't put much thought into this? That's a bad idea. The more thought, the better, otherwise you'll have others like me coming in to point out every flaw in your (lack of) reasoning. It needs to make sense on as many fronts as possible, so do try to consider that some of us actually prefer to have some thought put into these things. :)

I don't mind people pointing out my logical errors. That's the whole reason I have a topic here. But I would appreciate it if you didn't make it sound as if I'm an idiot. I apologize if my approximation of Trinuma's height was off or that I mistook a set detail for canon. But are either of those reasons to disprove my conclusions? No, you still seem to agree with them. So, thank you for pointing that out to me, but to be honest it doesn't matter much here.

Sorry. Didn't mean to come off that way. Just saying that it's best to make sure you're right before stating an assumption as fact. ;)

I believe you misunderstood my meaning in that quote. I've been putting a good deal of thought into all of this, and there have been several connections I've questioned above for small logical flaws just as you have. But in order to make these conclusions, a good amount of suspended disbelief should be maintained. There are no characters on the list that obviously share a species. Their appearance may differ slightly, or they might have a different power somewhere. Those can easily be explained as mutations, species variation, and enhancements that are all common in the Bionicle Universe. So there's a difference between shrugging your shoulders and throwing together anything that could almost make sense, and allowing a few small trivial technicalities to be dismissed. By "putting too much thought into this," I mean being anal about having to have every single tiny detail fit perfectly, by which you will never make any progress.

It would certainly work better, rather than just saying "these characters should go together because of one trait." 

2. Axonn's (large and bulky, can use Kanohi)

Carapar

Hydraxon (sensitive hearing)

Lariska?

I disagree with pretty much all of this, to be honest. 

Lariska's species have been described as being similar to Vortixx - they're tall and lanky, don't have powers, can wear Kanohi, are good with technology etc, etc, so perhaps they're a subspecies or close relative to the Vortixx?

On the subject of Hydraxon and Axxon, my headcanon has always being that the beings who formed the Hand of Artakha (with the exception of Helryx) were all unique beings - prototypes or one-off experiments that got thrown into the MU along with the rest.

Admittedly, this whole theory is simply based on the fact that we've seen no real indication in canon of any beings of the same species as Axxon, Hydraxon or Shadow Stealer, and it's easier to think of them as unique instead of trying to group them in with beings who, while similar, obviously aren't the same.

Okay, I want to explain my reasoning here, since a lot of people have a problem with it. Axonn, Hydraxon, and Lariska as one species would not have been my first choice. I can see the plain differences in their physical appearances as well as you all can. The only reason I lumped them together was because Axonn and Hydraxon had been suggested previously, and I could see Lariska being a member of Hydraxon's species. The Vortixx-like appearance is new to me (because it's pretty obvious I spent more time researching some species than others on BS01, as so helpfully explained above), so perhaps that was an unreasonable assumption.

Power-wise, however, Axonn could have been heavily modified by the Order, and the others are nearly powerless. The linking characteristic here is the Kanohi usage, which, admittedly, could also come from any of the other Barraki species. Differences in physical appearance could just be accounted for by species variation. Axonn is more muscled, Hydraxon is taller, Lariska is lither.

Kanohi usage is a common trait among many sapient species, as you said. That's hardly a reason.

If I may bring up my point about Trinuma and Hydraxon once again:

Despite their differences in color, story-wise, they are the same height, otherwise powerless, practically coat themselves in weaponry (Trinuma has those blasters on his back, the gun on his arm, boosters on his legs, etc--and you already know Hydraxon). Both can use Kanohi, and are both rather stern and imposing figures. The only real difference here is the horns on Trinuma. And besides, Hydraxon was with the HoA. Prior to that, he may have known another member of his race and gone to hire him for the OoMN--Trinuma.

Axonn and Hydraxon bear even fewer similarities, so this is the one that bugs me the most. 

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Power-wise, however, Axonn could have been heavily modified by the Order, and the others are nearly powerless. The linking characteristic here is the Kanohi usage, which, admittedly, could also come from any of the other Barraki species. Differences in physical appearance could just be accounted for by species variation. Axonn is more muscled, Hydraxon is taller, Lariska is lither.

Except Axxon predates the Order, being a member of the Hand or Artakha and recruited into the Order much later on. We've seen no real indication of him being modified at any point, which leads me to list towards him having been created with all of those powers. 

But perhaps you could be right, and they are all one-offs. I'm just trying to avoid that if possible as it limits a lot of the creativity that surrounds these species. To say there is only one Axonn restricts anyone who would like to have a semi-canon character like him.

I can see where you're coming from with this, but I don't think it really matters in the long run. There's nothing to stop people from making their own decisions, and I think a lot of people tend to go along with their own headcanons if they like them better anyway. 

• Upvote 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Except Axxon predates the Order, being a member of the Hand or Artakha and recruited into the Order much later on. We've seen no real indication of him being modified at any point, which leads me to list towards him having been created with all of those powers. 

But perhaps you could be right, and they are all one-offs. I'm just trying to avoid that if possible as it limits a lot of the creativity that surrounds these species. To say there is only one Axonn restricts anyone who would like to have a semi-canon character like him.

I can see where you're coming from with this, but I don't think it really matters in the long run. There's nothing to stop people from making their own decisions, and I think a lot of people tend to go along with their own headcanons if they like them better anyway. 

Many Order members were modified later. Perhaps they didn't have the proper tech for that earlier. And then, at some point, they called in Axonn and gave him more powers. He could have gained them any time between his joining the Order and his assignment to Voya Nui. So it's not out of the question.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

So it's not out of the question.

While this is indeed true, all I'm saying is that there's nothing in canon to indicate that Axxon didn't always have those powers. 

• Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

For what it's worth, from BS01's OoMN page:

Depending on the role members will have, they can receive a power upgrade through experiments when they join the Order. Axonn and Brutaka chose to get additional powers, while Hydraxon and Botar did not. The experiments have been known to go wrong, however, such as when the experiment Jerbraz took part in rendered him permanently invisible.

(Permalink if you're from the future)

This says nothing about physical appearance though; we should assume other members of Axonn's species actually look like Axonn (Carapar is the obvious exception since we know for a fact he's a mutant), and that makes me think Hydraxon and Lariska are a reach.

I think it's more likely Hydraxon is a member of Trinuma's species as suggested above. Sure, Hydraxon, doesn't have horns, but he does have Back Blades that look a whole lot like horns. He could have had them removed and replaced with the blades instead. It does seem like an odd place to store weapons, but if he had horns before he'd already be used to having two blades sticking out from his head. :P 

Or who knows, maybe Axonn is a Toa Kaita.

Edit: Also Trinuma wears a Kanohi but Hydraxon doesn't. However, AFAIK it's never been said Hydraxon can't wear a Kanohi, he just doesn't. So I think that still works.

Edited by Infrared
  • Upvote 1

Hmm, I have a hard time seeing Axxon as being from a well-known species. He has so many incredible powers, and if the Order had the ability to give these out via modifications, wouldn't they give them to powerless beings like Hydraxon, Jerbraz and Mazeka?

• Upvote 3

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Hmm, I have a hard time seeing Axxon as being from a well-known species. He has so many incredible powers, and if the Order had the ability to give these out via modifications, wouldn't they give them to powerless beings like Hydraxon, Jerbraz and Mazeka?

Well Jerbraz was going to get powers, but the experiment went wrong and he turned invisible instead. Also, Mazeka is useful as a spy since he is a Matoran and can blend in easily. If a Ko-Matoran were shooting blasts of energy everywhere people would know something's up....

I imagine Order members have a choice as to whether or not they want upgrades, and Hydraxon and co. just didn't want them. If I were already proficient with weapons, I'd rather get armed to the teeth than take part in an (evidently risky) experiment to gain new powers that I'd then have to learn how to use.

Edited by Infrared
  • Upvote 1

Well Jerbraz was going to get powers, but the experiment went wrong and he turned invisible instead. Also, Mazeka is useful as a spy since he is a Matoran and can blend in easily. If a Ko-Matoran were shooting blasts of energy everywhere people would know something's up....

I imagine Order members have a choice as to whether or not they want upgrades, and Hydraxon and co. just didn't want them. If I were already proficient with weapons, I'd rather get armed to the teeth than take part in an (evidently risky) experiment to gain new powers that I'd then have to learn how to use.

Minor clarification: the experiment was intended to make Jerbraz invisible. The problem was that they accidentally made it permanent. :P

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Minor clarification: the experiment was intended to make Jerbraz invisible. The problem was that they accidentally made it permanent. :P

Nope. The intention was to give him many powers, but there was a side-effect that made him permanently invisible. :) The experiment was a success in the sense that he received those powers, but the invisibility was not intended. 

I don't get why the guy doesn't just paint himself or regularly bathe in mud or something, though. :P

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Nope. The intention was to give him many powers, but there was a side-effect that made him permanently invisible. :)

Source, please? I've never seen this idea before. Jerbraz says nothing of the sort in Brothers In Arms, and his BS01 page uses vague phrasing. I don't recall Greg Farshtey ever saying anything to that effect (although I could be wrong).

Edited by ALVIS
  • Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

*pulls Greg quotes*

1a) Is the experiment that turned Jerbraz invisible related to how they give members additional powers? 
1b) Does Jerbraz wear a Kanohi? 

1) Yes
1b) No

1. About when did Jerbraz turn invisible?
1) Some times ago

1a) Was Jerbraz invisible prior to collecting information for the atlas?
1b) If yes, did Jerbraz collect the information for the atlas before or after hiring Mazeka?

1A) Yes
1b) After -- the Atlas is relatively new and up to date information. Mazeka was hired five years ago.

2) Are Jerbraz, Tobduk, and Johmak members of the same species?

2) Doubt it

7. If Jerbraz died, would he become visible again?

7) Doubt it

2. Just curious, but can a Rode-wearer see Jerbraz?

2) Good question. I think it's at least a good possibility 

2. Johmak is of a species similar in appearance to a Vortixx. The Shadowed One looks similar, as well. Is Johmak of TSO's species?

2) No

4a) In regards to the Daxia category for the new S&T contest, could I use Jerbraz pre-turning invisible as my main character, possibly as a new recruit? And then at the end simply say he was going to take part in an experiment to give him invisibility powers?

4a) Yes

And that's all the answers relating to Jerbraz. It may not be a power, because that might shut off on his death.

• Upvote 3

I've always wondered why every character needs to be a representative of a distinct species in the first place. The vast majority of species in the Matoran Universe don't reproduce sexually. Many were specifically designed, whether by the Great Beings or the Makuta. With that in mind, shouldn't there be much more room for characters who are specifically individuals?

I feel that characters like Krekka were diminished by making them just one member of a common species. What's more, Greg had a nasty habit of making every species near-copies of their first-seen member—Krekka's species consisted largely of hulking brutes, Roodaka's species was almost entirely composed of Machiavellian schemers, etcetera, etcetera.

Anyway, if you have to group any species together, I always felt like Krekka and Sidorak had a fair number of similarities, while both still being plenty unique. Neither would be diminished much by linking them to the other.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Nope. The intention was to give him many powers, but there was a side-effect that made him permanently invisible. :)

Source, please? I've never seen this idea before. Jerbraz says nothing of the sort in Brothers In Arms, and his BS01 page uses vague phrasing. I don't recall Greg Farshtey ever saying anything to that effect (although I could be wrong).

According to those Greg answers, and the way Jerbraz briefly describes the experience, it's not hard to miss that he wasn't supposed to turn invisible. His comments in BiA make it sound as if it wasn't supposed to happen, given how much he liked his appearance, and became forever invisible. That, mixed with the fact that we know the Order experimented on some of its members leaves the very likely possibility that it was a total accident and not meant to happen.

Likewise, nowhere is it stated that he was directly given only the power of invisibility, and it became permanent, as you suggested. ;)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I've always wondered why every character needs to be a representative of a distinct species in the first place. The vast majority of species in the Matoran Universe don't reproduce sexually. Many were specifically designed, whether by the Great Beings or the Makuta. With that in mind, shouldn't there be much more room for characters who are specifically individuals?

That's pretty much my take on the issue. I don't see the need to try ot make a species for every single character. 

• Upvote 2

Alrighty, I have some contributions to the simplification effort. Here we go:

2) Are Voporak and Sidorak from the same species (after all, Voporak has been mutated, and bears some ressemblance with Sidorak...)

2) Yes

3. Are Jerbraz ,Johmak ,Tobduk of the same species?

3) No idea. Those names refer to the three artists who worked on that book, they have not appeared as characters in BIONICLE.

2. Is it possible that Trinuma is the same species as Hydraxon? The reason I ask is I noticed a few similarities between him and Hydraxon. First of all, they appear to be a similar height. Also, they have the same shoulders.

2) No

3. Related to 2, how similar are members of a species? Would some random Vortixx look identical to Roodaka, or would she have just a slightly different head? Perhaps she would have some variation in the build of her body?

3) No idea, not something I have worried about

1) Sidorak, Voporak and the trader from Federation of Fear are all of the same species right?

1) Yes

2) Are Jerbraz, Tobduk, and Johmak members of the same species?

2) Doubt it

2 Are Ancient and The Shadow One the same species?

2a If they are then how come they are diffrent in apperance and powers?

2) Yes

2a) Well, you and I are the same species, but probably look very different and may have totally different skills. Every member of a species does not look alike or have exactly the same powers all the time.

5 Can you name if any known dark hunters are the same species as some order of mata nui members?suggestions

5) No idea

4. Are Kalmah (pre-mutigen) and Lurker part of the same species? 

4) No

6)Was the golden warrior with axe who appeared in Destiny War and was killed by Voporak of the same species as Nocturn?

6) No

1. Are there other members of Brutaka's species?  

1) Yes

4. Do the members of the species mentioned above look and act like the characters mentioned above, or are there differences in color, shape, personality, intelligence, etc?

4) I am not a big believer in the "every ((name of species)) is rude, left-handed, and likes hot dogs" school of writing, where I can avoid it. My assumption is that species may have certain traits in common -- for example, if they live in a desert, they value water a lot -- but otherwise there are differences between them just as there are between humans.

2. Since the Makuta started out as biomechanical beings.....is it possible that Toa and Matoran could evolve into energy beings too?

2) No, different species

7. When Terry blasted Brutaka's mask, Brutaka didn't seam to suffer any weakness from being deprived of his mask. Why is this? 

7) Brutaka is not dependent on his mask the way a Toa or a Matoran is. Different species.

1) A member asked about Kalmah being a Skakdi and you said: "Unkown". Why did you said "unkown" if you said that the Barraki are from different species?

1) I don't recall being asked that or answering that way. Someone asked me about Pridak being a Skakdi and I said no. None of the Barraki are Skakdi. 

1)Am I right in saying that the Toa terrain crawler is a modified troller or is the TTC an entirely new specie, conssidering the TTC is a giant worm-like rahi, and the troller is another worm-like rahi, are they the same specie or two different species

1) Different

2) Were any of the Barraki originally a Vortixx?
3) Were any of them a member of Krekka's species?
4) Sidorak's?
5) Botar's? 

2) No
3) No
4) No
5) No

• Upvote 1

Alrighty, I have some contributions to the simplification effort. Here we go:

2. Is it possible that Trinuma is the same species as Hydraxon? The reason I ask is I noticed a few similarities between him and Hydraxon. First of all, they appear to be a similar height. Also, they have the same shoulders.

2) No

I always hated that answer.  <_< Usually, I don't question the way Greg did things, but that one right there ticked me off. It would have worked because of all the sense it made, and no one would have questioned it.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Well... Greg was utterly unhelpful. :P

I still contend that Hydraxon and Trinuma are not the same species, because Hydraxon does not have horns, and that is kind of the definitive characteristic of Trinuma's species.

• Upvote 2

Well... Greg was utterly unhelpful. :P

I still contend that Hydraxon and Trinuma are not the same species, because Hydraxon does not have horns, and that is kind of the definitive characteristic of Trinuma's species.

And someone can't have gotten their horns broken off on accident because...? Or there can't be one member of a species that has some small deformity? We've seen individual oddities among groups before, so to say that Hydraxon simply does not have horns isn't out of the question.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

And someone can't have gotten their horns broken off on accident because...? Or there can't be one member of a species that has some small deformity? We've seen individual oddities among groups before, so to say that Hydraxon simply does not have horns isn't out of the question.

Right, but this topic is about simplifying the species list, not creating new weird exceptions to rules that currently don't exist in the first place. As I always poorly paraphrase CSI, you need to create theories to suit facts, not the other way around.
  • Upvote 2

Right, but this topic is about simplifying the species list, not creating new weird exceptions to rules that currently don't exist in the first place. As I always poorly paraphrase CSI, you need to create theories to suit facts, not the other way around.

My point was that besides the horn thing, Hydraxon and Trinuma have enough similarities that they could easily be of the same species. Or, like so many others have suggested for other races here, have a subspecies of Trinuma's people that doesn't have horns. At least Trinuma/Hydraxon makes more sense than Hydraxon/Axonn.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I haven't done ALL of the Greg quotes yet. :P

5) Are Lariska and Johmak from the same species?

5) Not to my knowledge

4) Are Devastator and Johmak from the same species, or is Johmak's power from a Order experiment?

4) I don't believe they are from the same species., no

Still lots of negative demurring. Such fun.

A: Good question -- but if you take two people, both of whom have faith in a particular thing, it is not surprising if the strength of that faith varies between them. Brutaka and Axonn are both OOMN members, but they aren't from the same species and they don't have the same background, so it could be Axonn is just a being of stronger faith than Brutaka is.

7) Are all the OoMN members from the same species?

7) No

3) Is Botar the same species as Axonn and Brutaka?

3) No, nor are Axonn and Brutaka from the same species.

2a. The Barraki are not of the same species, but would there be other creatures akin to them with the same features and builds etc?

2b. Would other members of the Barraki's "Species" (For lack of a better term) be enemies of the BoM like the six Barraki we know? Is it possible they would be allied with anybody?

2) No.

2b) No. The Barraki ended up being enemies of the BOM by virture of being Barraki, not based on their respective species.

Anyway, time for sleep. It appears that combining Barraki with other character's species is non-canon. :P

and now I need to stop being a Greg quoting wing-nut. Stop trolling, ya crazy fisherwoman. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't done ALL of the Greg quotes yet. :P

A: Good question -- but if you take two people, both of whom have faith in a particular thing, it is not surprising if the strength of that faith varies between them. Brutaka and Axonn are both OOMN members, but they aren't from the same species and they don't have the same background, so it could be Axonn is just a being of stronger faith than Brutaka is.

7) Are all the OoMN members from the same species?

7) No

3) Is Botar the same species as Axonn and Brutaka?

3) No, nor are Axonn and Brutaka from the same species.

2a. The Barraki are not of the same species, but would there be other creatures akin to them with the same features and builds etc?

2b. Would other members of the Barraki's "Species" (For lack of a better term) be enemies of the BoM like the six Barraki we know? Is it possible they would be allied with anybody?

2) No.

2b) No. The Barraki ended up being enemies of the BOM by virture of being Barraki, not based on their respective species.

Anyway, time for sleep. It appears that combining Barraki with other character's species is non-canon. :P

and now I need to stop being a Greg quoting wing-nut. Stop trolling, ya crazy fisherwoman. 

Not really. It still works. He just said that those six were for-sure enemies because of who they were and what they did, and that their respective species weren't grouped in with them as enemies because they were acting on their own behalf. Carapar would have been an enemy of the BoM by being a Barraki and doing his thing. But Axonn and the others wouldn't have because they didn't outright try to disrupt the flow of power in a way that would irritate the Brotherhood. So, it still works. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

3. Related to 2, how similar are members of a species? Would some random Vortixx look identical to Roodaka, or would she have just a slightly different head? Perhaps she would have some variation in the build of her body?

3) No idea, not something I have worried about

so much for word-of-god, seems greg thinks about the bionicle world about as much as we all assumed. :t

• Upvote 5

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Actually, we have a good reference point for how much a species can vary: TSO and Ancient. Both have similar basic traits like slightly elongated faces, clawed hands, bulky torsos and limb-like tails, but they don't look especially similar otherwise. (I'm assuming TSO is wearing a headdress or crown.) Therefore all we necessarily need to look for is the basic features of a body shape matching.

Edit:

Here's a quick list of all the suggested and actual species I can think of:

Confirmed Species

Steltian (worker caste): Large, very broad shoulders

Steltian (upper caste): Large, big eyes on sides of head

Steltian (slave caste): Giant, four arms, larger arms have long bladelike claws

Vortixx: Large, elongated face

Skakdi: Huge teeth, close-set eyes, clawed feet, back spine, vision power, cooperative elemental power

Zyglak: Long-jawed, long-tailed reptiles, immutable, necrotic touch, elemental resistance power

Visorak: Four-legged, long-mandibled insectoids, seven breeds, each with a Rhotuka power, Hordika venom, web spinning, can sense Heart of the Visorak

Krahka: Shapeshifting power, emulation power, mind emulation power

Frostelus: Four-armed, four-legged, two Rhotuka launchers, no hands

Axxon's: Large, huge hands, strength, Kanohi optional

Brutaka's: Large, claws, strength, strengthened by antidermis, mutation-resistant, Kanohi optional

Kalmah's: 3 eyes, Kanohi optional

Takadox's: Persuasion-vision power, Kanohi optional

Carapar's: Heavy armor, Kanohi optional

Ehlek's: Protosteel-claw modifications, aquatic, Kanohi optional

Mantax's: Kanohi optional

Pridak's: Kanohi optional

Nocturn's: Wide, toothed mouth and face, four arms, tentacles on 2 of them, amphibious, immutable, strength, regenerative abilities

Cold Island Species: large, clawed hands, elongated face, limb-like tail, vision power?

Johmak's: Self-fragmentation power, self-telekinesis power

Botar's: Giant, blade-like horns, claws, huge toothed jaws, teleportation power

Tobduk's: Large, emotion-fueled strength power, Kanohi optional, nearly extinct

Trinuma's: Large, horns, Kanohi optional

Suspected Species:

Lariska+Hydraxon

Axonn+Carapar: Are Axonn's powers artificial?

Triglax is a Krahka: But not a rahi?

Conjurer is a Vortixx: Telekinesis power?

Brutaka, Darkness, Shadow Stealer: all proto-Makuta?

Primal+Seeker

Tobduk+Pridak: Does Tobduk not consider Pridak one of his kind?

Mantax+Trinuma

Vengeance+Dweller+Vanisher: Does Vanisher have a psychic power? Sense of direction, maybe? Does he wear a Kanohi?

Axonn is a Toa Kaita (mutant): Probably contradicted by Greg but maybe??

Edited by Akavakaku
  • Upvote 3

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of good ideas floating around in this topic. One thing I don't think anyone has brought up is just how many islands there actually are in the MU. By my count there are over forty islands and two continents. Considering the massive size of the universe, its actually wouldn't be all that surprising if each island had its own native species, and the two continents could easily have two or three native species each. This would account for the vast array of different species we encounter in the MU.

Having said that, from a story-telling perspective I agree that fewer is better. Here is a list I developed for my own head canon:

1.     Airwatcher's Species

2.     Amphibax's Species

3.     Botar's Species

4.     Brutaka, Hydraxon, and Lariska's Species

5.     Axonn and Carapar's Species

6.     Darkness's Species

7.     Dweller and Vanisher's Species

8.     Ehlek's Species

9.     Eliminator's Species

10.  Guardian and Mimic's Species

11.  Kalmah and Lurker’s Species

12.  Krahka (Triglax's Species)

13.  Matoran (3 sub-species, 15 elemental sub-types)

a.     Matoran

b.     Toa

c.     Turaga

14.  Makuta

15.  Mantax and Trinuma’s Species

16.  Nocturn's Species

17.  Nynrah Natives (Pridak and Jerbraz’s Species)

18.  Odina Natives (Tyrant’s species)

19.  Primal's Species (2 sub-species)

a.     Primal’s Species

b.     Seeker’s Species

20.  Poison's Species

21.  The Shadowed One and Ancient's Species

22.  Shadow Stealer's Species

23.  Skakdi (14 elemental sub-types)

24.  Steltian (3 sub-species)

a.     Upper-class (Sidorak’s species)

b.     Middle-class “Bruisers” (Krekka’s species)

c.     Slave-class (Gladiator’s species)

25.  Takadox's Species

26.  Tobduk's Species

27.  Vengeance's Species

28.  Vortixx (3 sub-species)

a.     Xians (Roodaka’s Species)

b.     Conjurer’s Species

c.     Johmak’s Species

29.  Zyglak

Edited by Orokai42
  • Upvote 1

There are lots of good ideas floating around in this topic. One thing I don't think anyone has brought up is just how many islands there actually are in the MU. By my count there are over forty islands and two continents. Considering the massive size of the universe, its actually wouldn't be all that surprising if each island had its own native species, and the two continents could easily have two or three native species each. This would account for the vast array of different species we encounter in the MU.

Don't forget, there are also those islands that have been destroyed such as Mimic's island or Nocturn's island. Of course some of them could be easily merged like the affore mentioned.

Not to make things more difficult, (actually, I can't imagine anything else saying this would do,) but there are many unnamed/unselected species for the mutants pre-mutation like Silence or Sentrakh.

I really would like it if many of these species became one-timers. It seems to me that to fill up a universe with individuals each of their own species would make them even more unique and special. However, certain ones like Lariska and Johmak would do well to either have their own species or to be subcategories of/related to the Vorrixx somehow and the same for Conjurer and The Shadowed One, for the Steltan bruisers.

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

While discussing something about the Hand of Artakha and the Brotherhood over in the Energy Hounds? topic, I realized there was something to consider here.

The Hand.

We know Mata Nui mass-produced multiple races after his initial awakening, but what about those that existed prior to that event? Beings such as Hydraxon, Helryx, Shadow Stealer, and Axonn would have existed before Mata Nui did that. This means that they could only have been produced by the Great Beings! Of course, we already knew that about Helryx, being the first Toa, but it doesn't account for the others.

Exactly how extensive was the Hand? How many members were there? How many of them were individual creations of the GBs, and how many were part of a species?

I feel this might be useful for sorting things out. :)

So, while I previously advocated for the notion that Carapar and Axonn might be from the same species, I'm going to renounce it now, since Mata Nui selected the Barraki from among the best of his own creations. 

Now, I have a counter for this: The Great Beings may have created numerous individuals of each race, and Mata Nui used these as templates for creating the rest. If that were the case, Axonn would have been the template used to create Carapar and others, Hydraxon might have been the template for Trinuma's species, but MN decided to give the latter horns.

Either of these notions sound plausible?

• Upvote 3

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

The template idea makes a lot of sense, although now we have to map out all the species family trees.

• Upvote 2

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

The template idea makes a lot of sense, although now we have to map out all the species family trees.

My thoughts exactly. With them set as a template, we don't have to try to make any unnecessary connections. Many of those characters that we know existed beforehand would be marked as separate individuals (Axonn and Hydraxon=/= same species, for example :) ). 

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

With the template idea, we have to also define the 'GB-Creations' as a category on it's own, because they can't be included in the species if they're a 'super-prototype' for them.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

With the template idea, we have to also define the 'GB-Creations' as a category on it's own, because they can't be included in the species if they're a 'super-prototype' for them.

Not really. Look at it this way:

Great Being: Here, Mata Nui. *hands him Axonn* Copy and paste this thing.

MN: Kay.

*Carapar and others appear*

MN: Lol, that wuz eezee.

So, no need to make a separate category. Just list Axonn as the primary ancestor for his species, Hydraxon for his, etc. Is Takua a separate category all his own just for being the first Matoran? Mata Nui later did make more Matoran, as well, so should Takua be discounted as a Matoran due to being the earliest model?

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Not really. Look at it this way:

Great Being: Here, Mata Nui. *hands him Axonn* Copy and paste this thing.

MN: Kay.

*Carapar and others appear*

MN: Lol, that wuz eezee.

So, no need to make a separate category. Just list Axonn as the primary ancestor for his species, Hydraxon for his, etc. Is Takua a separate category all his own just for being the first Matoran? Mata Nui later did make more Matoran, as well, so should Takua be discounted as a Matoran due to being the earliest model?

That'd work as well. The templates would need to be differentiated from the species they inspired. We do, actually, call Av-Matoran the Super Prototype for the other types. Unlike the Av-Matoran, there isn't a 'Axonn species', but an 'Axonn-derived' species that includes Carapar. So no, don't treat Takua differently, but the Av-Matoran. Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

That'd work as well. The templates would need to be differentiated from the species they inspired. We do, actually, call Av-Matoran the Super Prototype for the other types. Unlike the Av-Matoran, there isn't a 'Axonn species', but an 'Axonn-derived' species that includes Carapar. So no, don't treat Takua differently, but the Av-Matoran.

Regardless, they're still full-fledged Matoran, just as Axonn would be a full-fledged member of his species.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

yeah, no offense but this idea kinda actually makes things more complicated than before. :0

How so?

Bear in mind that the Hand did exist before Mata Nui created all those other races, so we do have to consider all the implications of that. Did the GBs create the full species? or just a bunch of one-offs? Or were the individuals templates that Mata Nui used to create the other races?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~