2016: What do you want?

Cwog

We know what the sets of 2015 are: the Toa, the Protectors, and the skull villains. But, what about 2016? What do you want for wave one, wave two, and the small sets? Personally,I want more villains in wave two. Makuta is a must, in my mind. We saw a glimpse of him in Episode 0 (that's what I like to call the episode titled "The Legend"), but I want to see more of him in the role of the supreme villain. As for wave one, The Toa again, but more in tune with their elements. Lewa has more jungle-esque pieces, Gali has a flowing water motif, Tahu has more flame, etc.

As for small sets? Villagers. Make them small. Barebones, not much armor. Little to no tools. Why? So we can have 12. 12 little villagers with their 6 leaders. 2 per element. We've seen villagers in episodes 0 and 2, but what if we actually got a few of them? That'd be a whole lot of world building for what, 5 bucks per set? See, 2001 didn't have the same issue we do now. They had villagers (McToran) and leaders (Turaga), plus their heroes, the Toa. That gave the Toa extra incentive to save the island. Now, all we have is the Protectors, and that's less interesting.

What do you guys think?

• Upvote 3

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I just hope that they don't overstuff the 2016 sets with gimmicks pertaining only to that year's motif. I mean, I wouldn't mind a Mahri/Phantoka/Mistika thing, just as long as we get the location to have that. In making the new sets, I think it would be best to stick with the iconic look; I think the 2015 Toa look really nice, no matter where or when they can or could be, and I hope the sets for 2016 have this same thing in mind.

• Upvote 3

I just want sets that have a lot of swag.

• Upvote 5

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I heard someone say that they didn't like the fact that there was gold on some of the Toa because if they do get upgraded, how do you surpass gold? I really like that idea of the potentially upgraded Toa having their elements much more prevalent in their armor designs. Tahu with jets of fire, Gali with waves of water, Lewa with leaves and plantlife, Kopaka with spikes of ice, Onua with more purple crystals, and Pohatu with stone-like plating ... possibly more white bone spikes and tan. 

• Upvote 6

Gali with waves of water

Just imagine Gali with "water-like hair" for just a second...

Idk, seems pretty interesting to me.

It'd probably never happen, and I've got no idea what the parts would even be made out of, but I was thinking more along the lines of something like

this. 

Dsc15166.jpg

...But like... water. I dunno. The mental image I've got looks super awesome to me.

• Upvote 1

More story and media honestly. I would really like Bohrok 2.0 though. Also a console game, that would be great. 

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

1) Less trans pieced, whilst I like the trans coloured pieces I think they went a little overboard with them and would prefer more solid colours, on that note I'd also like less gold and silver.

2) Upgraded protectors, next year I'd like to see the protectors dawn unique masks and maybe more unique weapons.

3) Villains that are well...better, the skull villains aren't bad (accept for the scorpian he sucks) but they're just really not what I was expecting, next year I wanna see something more like the rahkshi, then maybe in 2017 something like anti-toa.

4) Makuta, I'm pretty sure he's going to appear in his mask of control form next year in a similar style to Ekimu. 

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

Makuta would definitely be cool to see in a set! Or in the very least, the Mask of Control.

New versions of the Toa are a must, though I'm not too particular about how the designs ought to be freshened up. The 2014 redesigns of CHI Cragger and CHI Laval give me confidence that the LEGO Group is more than capable of "upgrading" characters without driving up their price point or having the design feel either too unrecognizable or too redundant. I'd like their relative proportions to remain fairly similar, but aside from that I'm open to all kinds of changes. Printed shells, new armor molds, you name it! I would, however, prefer new mask colors to new mask shapes, since I really like the current mask shapes and think that blending, printing, or some other effect could be enough to freshen them up. Silver masks, maybe?

For small ($10 or less) sets, some new Okoto villagers could be nice. "Evil" small sets like the Bohrok-Va or even "animal companions" for the Toa and Protectors could also be quite cool, and might allow for some really varied builds!

And for new enemies, I definitely want them to have some unique thematic flair, but I wouldn't mind if they fit in with this year's skull motif in one way or another. Pirate-like enemies from beyond Okoto could be an exciting change of pace! Some people have suggested barbarians instead of pirates, but I feel like there are so many great design tropes that would go great with pirate-themed enemies — prosthetics like peg legs and hook hands, swords, firearms, and maybe even animal companions like monkeys or parrots.

Elemental foes for the Toa are another option, which could invoke some interesting storytelling themes — the Toa would have to confront foes with similar powers to their own, sort of like with the Bohrok. Actual Bohrok-like foes would be amazing from a nostalgic standpoint (the theme's sales did peak in 2002, after all), but I'm not sure of the practicality. Elemental spirits like the Element Lords or the various enemies/bosses from the original PC game's concept art could be pretty awesome, though, and could invoke a very different design language than the Toa. Instead of just mechanical beings with elemental weapons and elemental energy flowing through their bodies, imagine beings who are literally wreathed in their elements!

• Upvote 6

Personally, I would like the Toa and Protectors to begin preparing to rebuild Okoto in 2016. I envision some Protectors rebuilt Ekimu-style, wearing golden masks and armor (also Ekimu-style, but in different colors), and many transparent pieces and accompanying functions to signify their elemental dominance. For instance, perhaps the Protector of Earth has a function similar to Skull Basher's and has transparent forearms and hands which are fitted with golden gauntlets for smashing. Actually, I would like the Protectors to be the "Toa" sets for the year, so those would be some awesome Protectors.

For the "small" sets, how about some wisp-like elemental creatures sent by the Mask of Ultimate Power to possess the enviroment and wreak havoc on the island. They would be made mostly of transparent pieces, have tails instead of legs, and carry a launcher of sorts to make up for their lack of function (perhaps a crescent-shaped elemental slinger). Non-transparent pieces could vary from one "wisp" to another, maybe one has a shell for its torso, another, armor for its two tails, still another could have stone fists. Come to think of it, the Protectors might include something for them to possess or gear-up with as a power-up combiner.

I haven't thought of the villains or titans too much (yet), but if this is going to be a three year story-arc like I have heard others say, the Mask of Control is a must.

EDIT:

After thinking it over, it may be a better idea if the Protectors powered-up by taking control of the wisps rather than the wisps powering-up by taking control of something included in the Protector sets. My thinking is that if their golden masks are powerful enough to "reshape the island [of Okoto]" (to be clear, I'm not making the masks up; they are in "The Legend"), the Protectors might also be able to somehow master the wisps to use for their purposes. I mean, wouldn't it be cool if one turned into a shield, another served as extra limbs, and another could be ridden?

Edited by RahiSpeak
  • Upvote 1

Makuta would definitely be cool to see in a set! Or in the very least, the Mask of Control.

New versions of the Toa are a must, though I'm not too particular about how the designs ought to be freshened up. The 2014 redesigns of CHI Cragger and CHI Laval give me confidence that the LEGO Group is more than capable of "upgrading" characters without driving up their price point or having the design feel either too unrecognizable or too redundant. I'd like their relative proportions to remain fairly similar, but aside from that I'm open to all kinds of changes. Printed shells, new armor molds, you name it! I would, however, prefer new mask colors to new mask shapes, since I really like the current mask shapes and think that blending, printing, or some other effect could be enough to freshen them up. Silver masks, maybe?

For small ($10 or less) sets, some new Okoto villagers could be nice. "Evil" small sets like the Bohrok-Va or even "animal companions" for the Toa and Protectors could also be quite cool, and might allow for some really varied builds!

And for new enemies, I definitely want them to have some unique thematic flair, but I wouldn't mind if they fit in with this year's skull motif in one way or another. Pirate-like enemies from beyond Okoto could be an exciting change of pace! Some people have suggested barbarians instead of pirates, but I feel like there are so many great design tropes that would go great with pirate-themed enemies — prosthetics like peg legs and hook hands, swords, firearms, and maybe even animal companions like monkeys or parrots.

Elemental foes for the Toa are another option, which could invoke some interesting storytelling themes — the Toa would have to confront foes with similar powers to their own, sort of like with the Bohrok. Actual Bohrok-like foes would be amazing from a nostalgic standpoint (the theme's sales did peak in 2002, after all), but I'm not sure of the practicality. Elemental spirits like the Element Lords or the various enemies/bosses from the original PC game's concept art could be pretty awesome, though, and could invoke a very different design language than the Toa. Instead of just mechanical beings with elemental weapons and elemental energy flowing through their bodies, imagine beings who are literally wreathed in their elements!

I wholeheartedly agree here, Aanchir. Really, I'm up for anything so long as it keeps the mysterious feel Bionicle has had for so long.

• Upvote 1

Imagine the Toa with armour made of actual metal. 

Not super expensive metal, just some kind of silver metal.

I'd think that would be too expensive for Lego to produce. Plus the metal would be too heavy for the limb parts, the kids' fingers could get hurt on the sharp edges, and metal isn't good for kids if they accidentally stick it in their mouths. 

• Upvote 3

Imagine the Toa with armour made of actual metal. 

Not super expensive metal, just some kind of silver metal.

I'd think that would be too expensive for Lego to produce. Plus the metal would be too heavy for the limb parts, the kids' fingers could get hurt on the sharp edges, and metal isn't good for kids if they accidentally stick it in their mouths. 

All in all, while a cool idea in theory, it sucks in practice. Metal is pretty cool in collectibles and trophies, though, so that would be okay.

• Upvote 1

If I have to wait this long, then so be it, but what I want is:

1. Matoran/Protector Polybags

2. Random Mask Packs like the minifigure packs

3. Mask recolors

4. Eye stalk/mask color variety

5. COLLECTIBLES, PLEASE!!!!

6. Lore, complex story, and a reliable media outlet to get it all from

7. COLLECTIBLES!!!!

8. Mask model variety, color variety, recolors and remodels

9. COLLECTIBLES!!!!

10. FREAKING COLLECTIBLES!!!! MASK RECOLORS, EYE STALK VARIETY, MASK MODEL VARIETY, MASK COLOR VARIETY!!!

All I want is variety for MOC'ing... ;-;

Edited by Forgeta
  • Upvote 2

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Minifigures, please! I'd love to get figs of the new Toa in their most iconic depictions before it's too late. The mini-hero designs from Hero Factory would make for a perfect base—with a few recolors and some new masks (and maybe torso armor), I'd finally have figs of the most iconic Toa to use in System MOCs and displays!

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Minifigures, please! I'd love to get figs of the new Toa in their most iconic depictions before it's too late. The mini-hero designs from Hero Factory would make for a perfect base—with a few recolors and some new masks (and maybe torso armor), I'd finally have figs of the most iconic Toa to use in System MOCs and displays!

I think this new lego dimensions thing could be a great way to introduce bio minifigs again. 

• Upvote 3

It's time to move on.

I think this new lego dimensions thing could be a great way to introduce bio minifigs again. 

I didn't even think about that! That would be totally awesome.

• Upvote 2

It's possible! I just did notice that one of the sets does in fact feature a new mold—the Marty McFly set features a brand-new hoverboard. With that in mind, new minifig-scaled masks for the Toa would be far from impossible.

Of course, the vast majority of Lego Dimensions' first wave seems to be made up of licensed characters. But I imagine that it will branch out more in the future, and I would expect story-based multimedia themes (like Ninjago, Chima, and yes, perhaps even Bionicle) to get priority.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's possible! I just did notice that one of the sets does in fact feature a new mold—the Marty McFly set features a brand-new hoverboard. With that in mind, new minifig-scaled masks for the Toa would be far from impossible.

Of course, the vast majority of Lego Dimensions' first wave seems to be made up of licensed characters. But I imagine that it will branch out more in the future, and I would expect story-based multimedia themes (like Ninjago, Chima, and yes, perhaps even Bionicle) to get priority.

Wow didn't even think of this as a possibility. That would be beyond incredible. Definitely want to see this happen.

Also, definitely some sort of mask pack/mask variations. Matoran bags too for sure. I definitely want to see G2 makuta in 2016. It seems like that will most likely happen, but I still really wanna see him and have him come with the mask of ultimate power.

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Based on what we have seen, this is what I predict bionicle's three year plan is:

2015: Quest for Ekimu and the mask of creation

2016: Quest to stop Makuta and the mask of control

2017: Ultimate showdown against the sentient and out of control mask of ultimate power.

This makes sense. Three masks for three years. 

• Upvote 3

Based on what we have seen, this is what I predict bionicle's three year plan is:

2017: Ultimate showdown against the sentient and out of control mask of ultimate power.

This makes sense. Three masks for three years. 

And then there's something that the original Bionicle didn't seem to do. Once the Toa are done on Okoto, find another island that is in the same ocean or something. I mean, for the world of Gen2, we have Okoto. That's it. Who knows what other islands are in that same ocean, on that planet?

• Upvote 1

Villagers or small villains (like Bohrok Va) are definetly something I want to see. I'm not sure about main villains, but definetly Makuta with a Mask of Control. Maybe Piraka-esk creatures. :) Maybe Rahkshi-like? Maybe Bohrok-like? I'm not sure, but something along those lines. Perhaps Christian Faber's Slizers vending machine can be re-introduced as a villager and/or mask pack machine! :D That would be awesome. ;) Also, I think that the Toa should stay as they are for a little longer. I'm not sure how an upgrade will be done in story or in sets. I am worried that it wouldn't be a good upgrade (if they do upgrade them). I do want them to stay on Okoto (or atleast nearby) until 2016/17. Maybe in 2018 (assuming the series continues), they could venture to a new island. ;)

• Upvote 1

~Daler

Villagers or small villains (like Bohrok Va) are definetly something I want to see. I'm not sure about main villains, but definetly Makuta with a Mask of Control. Maybe Piraka-esk creatures. :) Maybe Rahkshi-like? Maybe Bohrok-like? I'm not sure, but something along those lines. Perhaps Christian Faber's Slizers vending machine can be re-introduced as a villager and/or mask pack machine! :D That would be awesome. ;) Also, I think that the Toa should stay as they are for a little longer. I'm not sure how an upgrade will be done in story or in sets. I am worried that it wouldn't be a good upgrade (if they do upgrade them). I do want them to stay on Okoto (or atleast nearby) until 2016/17. Maybe in 2018 (assuming the series continues), they could venture to a new island. ;)

Wouldn't you say the skull spiders are small villains like the bohrok va?

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

but I still really wanna see him and have him come with the mask of ultimate power.

You're probably gonna have to wait till 2017 to see that (Makuta with MOUP specifically). 

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

As a traditionalist I naturally say more Toa. Not much more I can say at this early stage that doesn't tie in with Gen 1.

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Honestly, read my story in the link. Imagine, like Lychir's 'wisps' idea, but medium and large models along the same lines. Rahi-like sets with a lot of posability and transparent parts, able to carry the Masters or Protectors so we get an 'Elemental Knights of Okoto' vibe.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Actual Bohrok-like foes would be amazing from a nostalgic standpoint (the theme's sales did peak in 2002, after all), but I'm not sure of the practicality.

I'd rather not see the storyline repeat the Bohrok arc again. That added nothing to the overall story, and perhaps even damaged it by using the 'Toa go underground, defeat enemy and pop back up without a scratch' ending twice, which was something fans were fed up with by early 2003.

I'd like more individual villains, like the Rahkshi or Dark Hunters.

• Upvote 1

I think the Mask of Time will also play a role sooner or later. I could imagine the Toa using it in the final showdown.

After all, it's been confirmed that we are getting a new Mask of Time.

• Upvote 3

Hail Denmark