Which original Toa of each wave was the worst?

Cwog

Which Toa of each wave was the worst?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're looking at The Toa Mata, Nuva, and Phantoka/Mistika. The main team of the Bionicle story. This doesn't include gen2's sets because the poll only allows for three questions, so bear with me. Who do you think got the short end of the stick with each wave?

Personally, I think Pohatu wins for 2001 and 2002. Poor Pohatu... he always gets the lamest or weirdest one... first he has kicking, which really made his body look weird, then he didn't really have proper weapons in 2008, and now, in 2015, he's the smallest and blandest of the new Toa. It's ironic to me, because he's one of my favorites. Heck, all of them are great, but I love Pohatu a whole bunch. As for 2008, though, I think Onua wins (or loses, depending on how you see it) because his Mistika form betrayed his iconic look of short and stocky, and replaced it with tall and lean.

Edited by Cwog

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I never understood why Lewa had his left arm attached in a different way from Tahu and Kopaka. The toa of fire and ice had their left arms attached with a technic axle and the arm could be locked into different poses, but Lewa had his arm attached with a simple connector peg that had no friction. 

Lewa Nuva sucked because of his dual function.

I disliked Gali the most, how can lego fail yet again to create a female toa with a feminine design? 

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I never understood why Lewa had his left arm attached in a different way from Tahu and Kopaka. The toa of fire and ice had their left arms attached with a technic axle and the arm could be locked into different poses, but Lewa had his arm attached with a simple connector peg that had no friction. 

Lewa Nuva sucked because of his dual function.

I disliked Gali the most, how can lego fail yet again to create a female toa with a feminine design? 

While I voted Onua for 2008, Gali was a close second. I think that the two should have switched designs. Then, Gali would have a taller, leaner body, and Onua would be the hunchback.

• Upvote 1

2001: All the Toa were great. But I guess Tahu was my least favorite (despite being the iconic Toa) so my vote goes to him.

2002: All the Toa Nuva were awful. Pohatu had an especially ugly mask and looked chubby.

2008: Onua was way too tall, but he looked decent, whereas Gali was a mess IMO.

:music:

Edited by xccj

Lewa, Lewa, Onua. Although it was a bit difficult to choose between Lewa and Gali for the Toa Nuva, or between Onua and Gali for the Phantoka/Mistika.

In 2001, Lewa had a wobbly, disproportionate arm (it was hard to tell where his elbow ended and his wrist began) and possibly the most specialized weapon mold of all six Toa. His mask, while stylish, also stuck so far off his face that his eyes and the eye holes of his mask would only line up if you looked at him from directly in front — something future designs thankfully rectified.

In 2002, Lewa had one of the most boring weapons with one of the most boring secondary functions — rather than combining them or attaching them to his body somewhere, he literally just held them differently, which didn't make him look a whole lot more flightworthy anyway. I liked his mask better than Gali's, and he had a decent color scheme, and it was nice that his arms were aligned differently from Tahu's and Kopaka's, but in general he felt like one of the least dynamic set designs to me.

In 2008, I generally liked the Phantoka, other than Lewa's lower arms being thicker than his lower legs (Rahkshi lower legs can be great building elements but more often than not they'd look awkward and gangly on their own). The Mistika were more of a mixed bag. I didn't like the masks of Gali and Onua much. Onua, at least, had more interesting weapons, but his proportions felt terribly awkward to me (particularly since he went from the shortest Toa to one of the tallest), and his color scheme also felt somewhat disorganized. In general I feel like even though Gali was less interesting, she was better than Onua from an aesthetic standpoint.

• Upvote 2

Oops I clicked null vote by accident. Whoops.

This was a hard choice. For 2001 I chose lewa. I loved all of them but his loose left arm was definitely weird. I understand what they were going for though, as he was supposed to be a tree swinging airborne type. They should have given him dual arm function with the gears. That would have made much more sense as a tree swinger.

For 2002, I really disliked the whole wave. All of their masks are very unappealing to me, and the weapons aren't that great aside from pohatus claws and onuas saw blade things. I chose Tahu mostly because of how much I really hate his mask. It's so ugly to me. It looks caricature like and just plain sucks.

For the 2008 wave I chose gali. I love all the phantokas a lot. I feel the mistake line was the weaker of the two, with Gali being the worst. Her mask is kinda whacky, and she looks awkward and lanky.

Edited by JanitorJake
  • Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Pohatu, Tahu and Onua. Pohatu because weird function that can't really work whilst he's standing up, Tahu because the mask is horrible and Onua because, like others have said, he has really strange proportions for a Toa of Earth- long and lanky isn't the right way to go, although his weapons are awesome. :)

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

2001 is a tough one. I went we Lewa from a purely objective, practical standpoint. In my opinion, none of the Toa bad compared to each other,;I went with Lewa due to his flopping arm, something the rest due to not have.

Onua Nuva easily for 2002. He had the worst aesthetics to me. His mask was the ugliest and he had very stubby arms for a strong guy.

2008 eight is a toss between Tahu and Gali, but I ultimately went with Gali.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

2001: This one is tough for me to answer, since I like all the Toa Mata sets. Though if I had to pick one, it would be Gali. I like her set a lot, but I like the others a little more.

2002: Gali. Like with the Mata, I like all the Toa Nuva sets. But again I like the others a little more.

2008: Onua, because his set for this year was nowhere near as good as his previous sets.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

2001: Lewa, I just never although i collected all the toa mata and original nuva i just never understood lewa's left arm, why didn't they just connect his left arm like Tahu with the cross connector piece holding the arm assembly more steady.
Took until 2002 to get one of the black friction pieces in bohrok va sets to get a more satisfying arm movement for lewa's shoulder

2003: Of all the 2003 nuva Pohatu was a real oddball. His claws are positioned on a weird angle instead of straight, his kakama mask is like a bulldog crossed with a tribal design and the reverse torso was a one time novelty and his official build made his armor look awkward.

2008: Gali is just awful, nuff said.

• Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

2008 was a really easy choice for me. While I liked the Phantoka a lot, the Mistika were very disappointing, especially Onua. For him, I expected a much bulkier and shorter build to continue his traditional look.

2002 was tough, but I had to go with Kopaka just because he was the only toa who lacked two hands.

2001 was an incredibly hard choice for me. Despite Lewa being one of my favorite characters, I had top say his original design was the worst of the Toa Mata. It's annoying digging around for a gear just to make sure his arm doesn't hang.

• Upvote 1

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

Nulled. I think the Toa Mata and Nuva, while not without flaws, were pretty awesome all around. I had no gripes with the design of each one, so I couldn't really pick a "worst".

I would have voted solely for the Phantoka/Mistika line - Gali definitely takes the cake. A terrible, terrible set.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Pohatu, while a fantastic character, never really had a set that did him justice. I picked him for the worst in 2001 and 2008. Luckily for him, there was Onua Nuva to take the cake for 2002.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Pohatu, while a fantastic character, never really had a set that did him justice. I picked him for the worst in 2001 and 2008. Luckily for him, there was Onua Nuva to take the cake for 2002.

ya, poor Pohatu always seemed to come out last, he was the only Toa without a weapon in 2001, in 2002 he had the most generic of masks, and in 2008 he didn't even have hands!

• Upvote 2

2001: Kopaka, because I didn't like how black and grey matched with his primary colour.

2002: All of the Nuva look terrible (maybe apart from Lewa), but Pohatu in my opinion looks the worst due to the mask and the flipped torso which made the Nuva armour look even more awkward and ugly than usual.

2008: Lewa and Pohatu both had bright, soft colours that worked well with grey, but once again I disliked Kopaka's white and grey combination. He also had a lone gunmetal chest, poor proportions, a poor mask and he looks silly with just his blaster; worse than Gali and Onua. 

I think that a white and black Kopaka would look better, grey is too similar to white, so it "waters down" his color scheme. Granted he is not the Toa of Oreos, but white is much easier to use as an accent color, when it dominates a color scheme, it's hard to balance it out. If you look at, say, Tahu, he uses black to counter the excessive amount of red he has (accept his nuva form), while a largely white character tends to look rather bland. If you try to balance it out, it comes out looking rather mixed up. So Lego was really with their backs to the wall when designing Kopaka, either go with grey, and leave him monotonous, or go with black, and make him too selfcountering (after all, do you associate black with ice?)

Which reminds me, what's up with the massive amounts of silver in the Mistika? For Gali and Tahu, their element colors (red and blue) seem to take a back seat to silver. I guess it's due to the Inika/Piraka bodies ability to only be two colors (the chest and hips) and doing the main body in an element color would throw the whole color scheme out of whack. It dosn't help that they have the Piraka torso, which can't have a chest plate to help balance it out.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior
  • Upvote 1

I think that a white and black Kopaka would look better, grey is too similar to white, so it "waters down" his color scheme. Granted he is not the Toa of Oreos, but white is much easier to use as an accent color, when it dominates a color scheme, it's hard to balance it out. If you look at, say, Tahu, he uses black to counter the excessive amount of red he has (accept his nuva form), while a largely white character tends to look rather bland. If you try to balance it out, it comes out looking rather mixed up. So Lego was really with their backs to the wall when designing Kopaka, either go with grey, and leave him monotonous, or go with black, and make him too selfcountering (after all, do you associate black with ice?)

Which reminds me, what's up with the massive amounts of silver in the Mistika? For Gali and Tahu, their element colors (red and blue) seem to take a back seat to silver. I guess it's due to the Inika/Piraka bodies ability to only be two colors (the chest and hips) and doing the main body in an element color would throw the whole color scheme out of whack. It dosn't help that they have the Piraka torso, which can't have a chest plate to help balance it out.

In general, I actually felt the Phantoka/Mistika color schemes made a lot of sense. The Phantoka Toa Nuva had bright primary colors with a darker neutral color (Dark Stone Grey) as the base, while the Mistika Toa Nuva had dark primary colors and a brighter neutral color (Silver) as the base. Meanwhile, the Makuta from both waves featured Black as a base, and a darker or brighter primary color depending on which team of Toa Nuva they were facing off against. I'm not calling those sets works of art by any means, but I think they had a nice system to their colors, which they were able to keep fairly consistent.

• Upvote 1

Pohatu Nuva, definitely,

Yeah, I actually just bought him for the first time on eBay. Once I got him, I built him, was instantly kinda disappointed, then built Akamai Nuva. I was equally disappointed. The Toa Kaita Nuva were really kinda lame compared to the original ones...

I went with Pohatu, Onua, Onua. Pohatu Mata just seemed to have a little more awkward design than the others. This first one was pretty close, though. Onua Nuva was definitely the weakest Nuva in my eyes due to his bizarre tiny arms. Finally, I could never really like Onua Mistika, because he looked nothing like Onua and his mask was extremely ugly.

~B~

2001: Pohatu, he didn't have weapons and the upside down torso looked terrible to me.

2002: Kopaka Nuva. The mask was ugly and I wasn't impressed with his ski blade sword-thing and the way his shield was attached was terrible.

2008: Tahu hands down. He was an abomination. His glaive-shield-thing was terrible, his reverse torso was terrible, his mask was terrible, his rockets on his torso were terrible and made no sense. I'm really surprised Onua is the highest in this category considering he had a solid torso and cool mask as well as sensible rocket placement and a cool shield arm and two-handed cannon. Heck, Gali was the second worst with that terrible mask and reversed empty Piraka torso. 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

2001: Pohatu, he didn't have weapons and the upside down torso looked terrible to me.

2002: Kopaka Nuva. The mask was ugly and I wasn't impressed with his ski blade sword-thing and the way his shield was attached was terrible.

2008: Tahu hands down. He was an abomination. His glaive-shield-thing was terrible, his reverse torso was terrible, his mask was terrible, his rockets on his torso were terrible and made no sense. I'm really surprised Onua is the highest in this category considering he had a solid torso and cool mask as well as sensible rocket placement and a cool shield arm and two-handed cannon. Heck, Gali was the second worst with that terrible mask and reversed empty Piraka torso. 

As for Onua 2008, he is winning because he is nothing like his original two forms. That is to say, hunchbacked and stocky.

For the Mata, I chose Pohatu. His build looked unnatural and weird, and his function didn't work if he was placed standing. I think all the Mata are solid, and all have their drawbacks, but Pohatu wins that one.

Choosing a Nuva was tough because they're all kind of bad. I chose Gali because she looked so darn big and her mask is by far one of the worst because it simply doesn't seem feminine NOR gender-neutral. Pohatu or Onua are close seconds.

All the Mistika are really kind of bad as well. I chose Onua because while his build was solid, he seemed nothing like a Toa of Earth, nor his past self. Gali is next because her mask, and Tahu is last because, while his build is illogical, it's at least kind of good.

Edited by Toa Kohron

I love all the originals, so that was hard. I said Gali, merely because the upside-down hand piece thing on her chest was random and I never got the point of that.

Lewa Nuva, mostly because of his mask. I've never liked that mask.

Gali Mistika, because she was just SO different from her original (I mean, all of them were, but she was radically so).

(Also, I actually love Pohatu Mata's design, mostly because it's just different from the others. And he looks fitting for a wearer of the mask of speed.)

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Why is everyone mad that Gali's design isn't feminine enough? They're robots, not people. The gender is mainly personality based.

Gali mata at least had wider hips and a different upper torso piece,

I can't put dirt on any of the Toa Mata, without them, there wouldn't be BIONICLE, and so I've come to appreciate them equally,

Mata Pohatu's bigger at the bottom torso fit his bigger at the bottom mask,

It seems to me that as of the 37th vote, Lewa Phantoka is perfect. That's funny.

Lewa Phantoka is pretty solid build-wise, and keeps a bit of consistancy in Lewa's overall aesthetic. In my opinion, he's the best of that wave of Toa, and of that entire year. But it is funny that not a single person has yet to vote for him as of right now haha

It seems to me that as of the 37th vote, Lewa Phantoka is perfect. That's funny.

Better than the others =/= perfect. 

If I was comparing Lewa Phantoka and, say, Lewa of Okoto, the latter would come out on top (even though Okoto Lewa is my least favorite of the 2015 sets). If I were to compare Lewa Phantoka and Vastus, Vastus would win. 

As for Onua 2008, he is winning because he is nothing like his original two forms. That is to say, hunchbacked and stocky.

That doesn't make him an uglier or worse set. Tahu and Gali were horrendous and had reversed Piraka torsos. 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Better than the others =/= perfect. 

If I was comparing Lewa Phantoka and, say, Lewa of Okoto, the latter would come out on top (even though Okoto Lewa is my least favorite of the 2015 sets). If I were to compare Lewa Phantoka and Vastus, Vastus would win. 

What I was a joke. Lewa Phantoka was an amazing set at the time, but definitely isn't without flaws.

That doesn't make him an uglier or worse set. Tahu and Gali were horrendous and had reversed Piraka torsos. 

Well, to a lot of people, including me, Onua just seemed worse than Tahu and Gali. I think none of the Mistika were very faithful to their 2001 or 2002 counterparts. Gali and Onua didn't have the right body types, and Tahu wasn't, I don't really know the word... aggressive? with his design. In any case, they are all good sets, but they are worse then their teammates when compared to the source material.

Hmm this is tough.

2001: I love 2001, specially the Toa, so this is pretty hard. Character-wise for all three years would have to be Tahu. He was basically just kinda gruff and hot-headed all the time (pun intended). Set wise I would have to say Pohatu, because he is kinda awkward. His neck connection is so weird and floppy and his arm connectors face backwards, making then look really short.

2002: Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to go with Pohatu again, even though he's my second favorite character, barely behind Lewa. The mask is so weird and the upside down torso looks even weirder with armor. I do have to give it the plus of fixing the neck connection problem though. 

2008: Gali by far. What is up with her mask? Her mask is the only on I don't like out of all of the Mistika and Phantoka sets. At least the others have mocability. Hers is just kind of like a weird...futuristic knight helmet? Also, two handed weapons should make sense. Onua's weapon was two-handed because it is a beefed up version of a one-handed weapon. If they wanted to give her a two handed weapon and a Nynrah blaster, they should have gone the Kongu Mahri route. That would have made the set more interesting.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

For 2001 it was a bit of a tough choice because, while I don't have any of them, I've always felt that they all look really good. Not having any of them, I can't say I can relate to the complaints on Pohatu or Lewa, so I couldn't really factor that into my choice. Ultimately I went with Onua, simply because his color scheme is a bit drab and his weapons a bit boring?

2002 is a tough choice for exactly the opposite reason. I just...I do not like the Nuva. Except I guess for Lewa, maaaaaybe Tahu? I only have one of them, Gali, and she...she is pretty bad! I also voted for Onua here, though, and I...I guess I just really don't like his mask? It could have easily been Pohatu or Gali though. So bad!

For 2008 I went with Pohatu. I don't really mind any of the Mistika too much (backwards piraka torsos aside, those will never not be the worst things ever. but i did like their masks). And Lewa was pretty cool. Kopaka I was less fond of, and honestly in retrospect I really don't like him much! But I dunno, Pohatu...I like his arms, actually. He's got a decent design that I think does kind of fit him, but just...I don't know, he's just so gray. I wish he had used like, dark orange instead of bright orange? And his mask could have been better. I dunno.

AXKP5KC.png

Pohatu for having no kind of weapon, Gali for her diving mask and lookig the least like her past incarnation and then the second worst Toa set of all, waffle-eye (Only better than Mustache Elda)

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351