Is Greg still open to canonizing new details for the g1 story? If he isn't I can perfectly understand (And I don't know why he's even gone on this long) but if he is, I wonder if he can re-establish Plantlife as a female element.

That's the one thing that still upsets me about the old story.

I guess I just don't understand the thought process behind changing a story element based purely on a typo, since Plantlife was originally intended to be a female element.

Bionicle's gender ratio is still very skewed, but if Plantlife were made female I think it would be a tiny bit better.

Not to mention that there are no named Bo-Matoran or Bo-Toa, so no one would have to get genderbent.

We've gotten a lot of other things canonized, why not this?

Edited by SailorQuaoar
  • Upvote 10

I agree completely, the gender inequality is rather ridiculous. This'll definitely help since it doesn't require changing the gender of any characters, which makes something like this much easier. 

bZpOwEr

I support this 100%. There should be more females Bionicle. 

Plantlife should be exclusively female as well.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

There's certain elements that need to be either male or female. For example, I couldn't imagine Gali as a guy. But some elements I think could work either way. Psionics, for one, because it is canonically both. I think plantlife could also work either way, but since the gender ratio is skewed, plantlife could easily be a female-only element. The ratio isn't VERY skewed, though. I think someone around here did the math and it was something like 1.33 to 1.

• Upvote 3

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

As flowers have parts from both genders, I would be alright if The Green was also a bi-gender race, like the races of Light.

• Upvote 9

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

As flowers have parts from both genders, I would be alright if The Green was also a bi-gender race, like the races of Light.

I would support this, simply because a character for one of my fanfics is a male Bo-Matoran and I would resist changing it. :P

Selfish-much, aren't thou now? Sill'some Madam Fishers. :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

For those of you who forgot (or never read) Legacy of Evil, you'd know that Plantlife has been male since 2006. Hakann and Vezok broke into a fortress that contained the Makoki Stone, and one of the guards Hakann took out was a Toa of Plantlife, referred to as a "he." So, we've seen Plantlife characters as male for years, where Gravity has not appeared at all.

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I would support this, simply because a character for one of my fanfics is a male Bo-Matoran and I would resist changing it. :P

At least I'm honest about how selfish I am. I am so terribly selfish that it is unbelievable. Even the things that appear to be altruistic have such a rotten core as to render them worthless. 

And I have no idea what Sill'some means. 

• Upvote 1

At least I'm honest about how selfish I am. I am so terribly selfish that it is unbelievable. Even the things that appear to be altruistic have such a rotten core as to render them worthless. 

And I have no idea what Sill'some means. 

We are but human, isn't that usually the case to at least some degree? And I apologize, oft do I edit words that end with Y by replacing it with 'some', makes talking fun and it sound more fancesome. :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

For those of you who forgot (or never read) Legacy of Evil, you'd know that Plantlife has been male since 2006. Hakann and Vezok broke into a fortress that contained the Makoki Stone, and one of the guards Hakann took out was a Toa of Plantlife, referred to as a "he." So, we've seen Plantlife characters as male for years, where Gravity has not appeared at all.

i wouldn't call that confirmation of much given that could've been any element and the outcome would be the same. plantlife was basically picked off a dartboard, with the "default he" because "default he" happens a lot with writers. :t

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Fun fact- that was because of a typo that ended up becoming canon somehow.  Points for effort, I guess, but less so because Greg didn't follow through.

• Upvote 2

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Fun fact- that was because of a typo that ended up becoming canon somehow.  Points for effort, I guess, but less so because Greg didn't follow through.

Multiple times. Looking at that selection now, he/him was used 5 times in one page. Greg made the same typo 5 times in a row?

You sure about that?

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 4

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Is Greg still open to canonizing new details for the g1 story? If he isn't I can perfectly understand (And I don't know why he's even gone on this long) but if he is, I wonder if he can re-establish Plantlife as a female element.

That's the one thing that still upsets me about the old story.

I guess I just don't understand the thought process behind changing a story element based purely on a typo, since Plantlife was originally intended to be a female element.

Bionicle's gender ratio is still very skewed, but if Plantlife were made female I think it would be a tiny bit better.

Not to mention that there are no named Bo-Matoran or Bo-Toa, so no one would have to get genderbent.

We've gotten a lot of other things canonized, why not this?

You know... I could see this being a valid point if the element of Plantlife didn't have a gender associated with it... However I fail to see the point in trying to Canonize something that already has canonization, which typically isn't how canonization works. I mean this isn't canonization, this would just be changing and undoing details just to please some part of a fanbase, which I hardly doubt greg would do even if he had the time... He doesn't seem like the type who is a fan of Retconning. But of course this is just my opinion.

Also you know it is already kind of Bigender if people want to get technical, since there are agori of Plantlife, and Agori can be male or female regardless of element... if memory serves me right.

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Fun fact: the  Toa of Plantlife in Legacy of Evil was supposed to be female, but due to a printing error, she got turned into a "He". 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Fun fact: the  Toa of Plantlife in Legacy of Evil was supposed to be female, but due to a printing error, she got turned into a "He". 

*ahem*

Multiple times. Looking at that selection now, he/him was used 5 times in one page. Greg made the same typo 5 times in a row?

You sure about that?

Try again ;)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

*ahem*

You sure about that?

Try again ;)

Was 'him' actually used in that part of Legacy of Evil? It's been so long since I read it and I would check but it's currently buried in a box. Reason I ask while She being turned into He could be an understandable typo... Well Him and Her are two very different spellings and very unlikely to be a typo. If Him was actually used I doubt any of that was a typo, and meant to be.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

There's certain elements that need to be either male or female. For example, I couldn't imagine Gali as a guy. But some elements I think could work either way. Psionics, for one, because it is canonically both. I think plantlife could also work either way, but since the gender ratio is skewed, plantlife could easily be a female-only element. The ratio isn't VERY skewed, though. I think someone around here did the math and it was something like 1.33 to 1.

Psionics isn't a mixed-gender element like Light is. They made one dude Toa, and then decided to make the rest chicks. So a Psionics OC couldn't be male because Orde was the only one.

I don't have any intention for this to come off as sexist, but is there any canonical reason as to why females (or really gender distinction to begin with) exist in the Matoran Universe? To tell a story and establish characters effectively, you need gender association, so I understand why you'd have to choose one or the other. And let's not pretend like marketing and target demographics aren't a real thing (just because you might think it's wrong) when I say this line is primarily targeted towards boys. So why not just make them all male?

The real answer is "so that it doesn't leave girls out" and that's understandable. They shouldn't be. Anyone should be able to enjoy this great series and relate with the characters. That said, was it ever actually explained why the female gender exists within Mata Nui? I don't need the answer to be complex. There could be a line of text somewhere that essentially says "the Great Beings got bored and just wanted diversity, so they based a couple races off the female inhabitants of Spheres Magna," but does an answer actually exist?

Was 'him' actually used in that part of Legacy of Evil? It's been so long since I read it and I would check but it's currently buried in a box. Reason I ask while She being turned into He could be an understandable typo... Well Him and Her are two very different spellings and very unlikely to be a typo. If Him was actually used I doubt any of that was a typo, and meant to be.

win_20150509_221641.jpg

Him/his/he.

You're welcome. :) 

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

win_20150509_221641.jpg

Him/his/he.

You're welcome. :)

Thanks Shadow for the actual picture.

With that evidence I'm more inclined to believe there never was a typo, because as mentioned earlier, Him and Her are two very different spellings.

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

I don't have any intention for this to come off as sexist, but is there any canonical reason as to why females (or really gender distinction to begin with) exist in the Matoran Universe? To tell a story and establish characters effectively, you need gender association, so I understand why you'd have to choose one or the other. And let's not pretend like marketing and target demographics aren't a real thing (just because you might think it's wrong) when I say this line is primarily targeted towards boys. So why not just make them all male?

The real answer is "so that it doesn't leave girls out" and that's understandable. They shouldn't be. Anyone should be able to enjoy this great series and relate with the characters. That said, was it ever actually explained why the female gender exists within Mata Nui? I don't need the answer to be complex. There could be a line of text somewhere that essentially says "the Great Beings got bored and just wanted diversity, so they based a couple races off the female inhabitants of Spheres Magna," but does an answer actually exist?

I have an idea, but a part of it possibly touches on the faith of Greg Farshety and as such might be better to say over PM.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

ahem: the matoran universe has male/female distinction because it can, the tribes are monogender with male domination in numbers because "default he" that same thing is why the toa of plantlife is "He" and why, when we finally got a psion-toa after hearing they were "she" it was a "he" (with a super dumb [unintetnionally sexist] shoehorn reason why it was a "he")

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

PL as female would be great because of so many reasons.

If someone wants to bring it up to him (again) I will support you 100%.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Ah, the old "it was a typo!" rumor. Been a while since I've heard that one. Good times.

Anyway, I support the idea, if not for plantlife since that would be an unnecessary retcon. I keep meaning to go back and see if plasma or gravity have been defined; gravity probably has, but plasma might be doable.

PL as female would be great because of so many reasons.

What exactly would those "reasons" be? I can't think of any particular reason why female would be a better candidate for plantlife, and a few why it wouldn't be.

The "typo" thing was something I've heard regrading Orde being male. Which is why Greg made a complicated backstory regarding why he isn't female like the rest of his element.

Not saying that's true or not, it's just the word on the street.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Honestly, I don't see why this matters at all. At least the GSR size debate has some intellectual exercise value. This is mostly pointless. There's a horrible gender ratio in G1, because the writer had some sort of phobia when it came to writing two female characters talking, as if he were intimidated by the Bechdel Test... That's just how it is.

• Upvote 5

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Anyway, I support the idea, if not for plantlife since that would be an unnecessary retcon. I keep meaning to go back and see if plasma or gravity have been defined; gravity probably has, but plasma might be doable.

Neither has appeared in story enough. The Piraka once discussed a Toa of Plasma that Zaktan supposedly killed (Avak surveyed the scene afterwards and found bits of melted armor, a mask, and puddles of stuff he didn't want to identify), but I don't recall if the Toa's gender was mentioned. 

In Time Trap, Lariska had been sent on a mission that pitted her against a Toa of Gravity, so she and TSO were discussing that. There was mention of a Ba-Matoran village in Reign of Shadows (Mazeka and Teridax returning from the Melding). I don't recall the genders being mentioned here, either.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Psionics isn't a mixed-gender element like Light is. They made one dude Toa, and then decided to make the rest chicks. So a Psionics OC couldn't be male because Orde was the only one.

I meant that I could see Toa/Matoran of Psionics as both, since there's canonically both.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

I meant that I could see Toa/Matoran of Psionics as both, since there's canonically both.

I can see the other elements as both as well, but that's just my headcanon. Matoran gender doesn't really matter.Heck, Kopaka and Lewa are female to me, even in G2.

Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I think plantlife could also work either way, but since the gender ratio is skewed, plantlife could easily be a female-only element. The ratio isn't VERY skewed, though. I think someone around here did the math and it was something like 1.33 to 1.

I'd be very curious to see that math, because the main six elements are more common than other elements, so if it's based on total population, that doesn't sound accurate.

Anyways, I'd vote for this. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)